Tokyo 2020 official logo

Be interesting to see some application of the design, if that was part of the tender process? I feel like they should have picked the winner, and then gone away and given it the launch treatment that the original logo had. They'd surely get better buy in from the public if they had gone down that path rather than just announcing a winning design.

I know the indigo is very traditional, but I'm wondering what this would like in a few variant colours.

It's boring like hell. Looks very unresolved and even the typeface is like something from microsoft word. Japan really screwed up a good opportunity on having a great logo. Being to careful and trying to please everyone ends up in this amateur looking logo. Still prefer the original allegedly plagiarised design, or even the bid logo is so much better than this one.

To be honest, this logo actually looks decent.

It would look a lot better animated though with the checkers pulsating to make the logo.

The Paralympic logo animation could have the same idea but with a minor difference. The pulsating could start from the top center of the logo.

Maybe they could expand the color pallette later on by adding other colors like shades of blue, purple or red.

And maybe they could add the Olympic colours in too with some brighter and darker shades of different colours like London and Rio

It's a snowflake!

The thing is with the colour, the blue/indigo is what makes it very Japanese to me - it's very common to see such patterns and colouring around the isles. The red above already loses that a bit for me when I see it.

c416da73fcefea31362b007ec8fc0f2b.jpg1046c972de1b27756296bef4c8d68327.jpg

3500.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

On the whole, not unhappy with the choice. But not over-thrilled either. So much, better though, than that goddamed awful plagiarised accountancy firm-type logo they put up last year. So glad that got scratched.

Edited by Sir Rols

I had a feeling this would win, since I mentioned already Japanese people taste tend to differ a lot from the West, and this was proven when I see the Flower logo ended up being the least favorite by the voters.

While I think it was the more unique of the group, I also think the execution could had been better. However I think the logo design brings up a lot of room for a potentially interesting brand, specially after seeing other works from Asao Tokolo.

http://tokolo.com/

keith-haring.jpg

zpenrose.gif

pti01.jpgpti02.jpg

tokolo-pattern-magnet.jpg

395.jpg

tenugui%20big%2002.jpg

NYK04.jpg

That is, of course, if they hire him for the job. He already had experience working in other events in Japan (he worked at the Toyota pavillon in the Expo Aichi 2005)

• Like 2

That is very true. Just look at Japan's national soccer teams and baseball jerseys.

Tokyo 2020's new logo looks like a Bavarian color patterned wreath (usually with blue) that you would see more at Oktoberfest.

Liked the racing humanity and unity one better with all the colors. But I'm not Japanese, and they don't really share our Western tastes in terms of aesthetics, as Ikarus mentions.

Despite the fact that I think this logo is half decent, make no mistake, this was handled terribly by the OCOG.

Has there even been such a disappointing reveal of the official logo of a Summer Olympic Games.

Gently ushered onto Facebook and on a bit of mdf strung up behind an OCOG official.

I really don't think they should have ever put all 4 designs to the public, but in any case, they should have determined the winner and then hung fire for a month or so.

At that point, they should have refined it, put something together to sell it to the public. Put a flashy video together like with the original logo, something. It's almost like a sad little apology afterthought.

The opportunity has totally been lost.

I really just think we need to scrap the open comp for logos. I'm fine with putting the mascot design out to anyone who cares, but really branding should be left to the professionals.

As for the future of this logo, which again, I see potential in.

I think they need to give it the London treatment . Wolff Olins came up with the logo and then it was handed over to Futurebrand to create the look from there.

• Like 1

I had a feeling this would win, since I mentioned already Japanese people taste tend to differ a lot from the West, and this was proven when I see the Flower logo ended up being the least favorite by the voters.

While I think it was the more unique of the group, I also think the execution could had been better. However I think the logo design brings up a lot of room for a potentially interesting brand, specially after seeing other works from Asao Tokolo.

http://tokolo.com/

keith-haring.jpg

zpenrose.gif

pti01.jpgpti02.jpg

tokolo-pattern-magnet.jpg

395.jpg

tenugui%20big%2002.jpg

NYK04.jpg

That is, of course, if they hire him for the job. He already had experience working in other events in Japan (he worked at the Toyota pavillon in the Expo Aichi 2005)

What kind of voting result do you mean here? Do you have any links for that?