Tokyo 2020 official logo

Surprised nobody seems to realize different countries have different regulations around contests. Of course there's no reason to accept entries from abroad, that would be a nightmare for any organization. As long as you're based in Japan, you may submit your design and I don't see why a gaijin can't win, either.

• Like 2

I'm aware of Japan not being very supportive of the idea of foreigners doing stuff for them, specially now that there is a resurgence of nationalists (even if Zaha Hadid stadium was indeed horrible I think they also got rid of it because it wasn't japanese enough for them, beside the excesive cost). I mean there was even a controversy this year about Miss Japan being half black.

But lets be honest, like Faiyez said, on this case it would be troublesome if they accepted entries (at least for the logo) from around the world, since it would make the process more chaotic, specially if they need to have a winning entry as soon as possible, before Spring.

• Like 1

Can you imagine the backlash if a Chinese designer won if they went worldwide? Even moderate feathers would get a little ruffled. If I'm thinking correctly, I remember seeing that Sano was half Korean, and some crazies thought that he made a bad logo on purpose to make the games and Japan look bad (and maybe Pyongyang better???). But of course that's all internet ravings, but that sentiment does exist as similar sentiments exist everywhere.

^^ Its mostly old people and nationalists who still despite Korea. Most don't have those views anymore. Same thing with Korea. There are people who are still mad with Japan for what happened in the past, but most young people, for what I saw, don't seem to share this and do like and enjoy japanese things.

Japan has no room to talk when it comes to copying stuff, though. After all, they had a strong obsession for anything chinese during Heian Period, which influenced heavily on their culture and many of these elements have survived to this day on their architecture, music, poetry, etc. If any, Japan culture, as well for Korea, is based on the chinese one.

http://vytm.in/3ERmpA#http://www.creativebloq.com/logo-design/why-tokyo-2020-olympics-logo-witch-hunt-91517004

Interesting article over the logo controversy

Olympics logo fiasco is a witch-hunt Is social media to blame for the first Toyko 2020 logo being binned?

One month after organisers pulled the plug on the Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo, Hey Studio co-founder Veronica Fuerte calls for designers to stop fighting and work together…

Veronica-.jpgVeronica Fuerte image: Żaneta Antosik

As designers we're constantly surrounded by inputs. Information is everywhere and we're bombarded by it all the time. Walking down the street we see posters, adverts, shops, people; while on the internet we read blogs and articles, and look at thousands of images that people we follow have liked.

Our culture is alive with ideas and they can be accessed as never before. We absorb all this information. Most of it goes in unconsciously and sometimes something stops us for a moment in our busy lives and makes us think, setting off a train of thought that arrives somewhere else.

It's quite normal that you remember some of these things you have seen and use them in some way without thinking about it too much. This is how the creative process works. There is an accumulation of ideas that over the years evolve in different ways when applied by different people.

In a creative profession like design it's essential to be aware of what's been done and what's being done. This is how we learn, get better and how the work that we produce grows.

Uniquely challenging

The really big challenge with making an identity is to create something unique. To make something completely unique is incredibly hard and if you manage to do it then you have either done something revolutionary and brilliant or something bad and wrong!

An artist or a designer who is angry that their creativity has been copied makes a good news story. Social media explodes and everyone can give their opinion. There's a big fuss, it's a lot of fun and then it's forgotten.

The disappointing thing when this happens in the less visible creative industries, like design, is the realisation that the only time that the profession seems to get noticed is when we are meant to be at war with each other.

Sometimes you think it would be nice if the story could just be that someone produced a good identity but obviously we all know that isn't the way these things work. Disaccord makes a better story.

Global influences

How closely one piece of creative work resembles another also depends on the type of work it is. Crossing the red line from being influenced by something to just copying it isn't the same in every creative process.

The smaller the creative palette, the more similarities there will be. That doesn't mean it has been copied, it just means that if people are using the same tools, it is more probable they will come up with ideas that are like each other's.

When you work with geometry and synthesis in illustration and design, it is quite easy to arrive at a similar place. You might have got there by completely different routes but it really isn't at all surprising or unlikely that you reached conclusions that have things in common.

Olympics-2020-scrapped-logo(1).jpg

The Tokyo logo is exactly this. There are similarities, elements that look the same, but that is just a coincidence which comes down to nothing more than that they were created using similar styles and techniques.

Anyone would love to think that their work had been copied for a truly global event like the Olympics, but that just isn't the case. But that doesn't make as interesting a story as plagiarism.

We live in an age where information and opinion is everywhere. Social media allows people to share their thoughts where, before, only a select few could through traditional media. This has been positive in terms of what it allows us all to see and do.

Designing together

The downside is that social media can act like a lynch mob, gathering enough force and momentum to make things happen that, with perhaps more thought, we wouldn't allow to happen.

Public opinion, as expressed through social media, put too much pressure on the Olympic organising committee and we shouldn't be surprised that they decided the easiest thing to do was to abandon it and try to move on.

I personally do not agree with taking legal action in cases like this because I believe it was a coincidence rather than an infringement of copyright. These things are very difficult, and expensive, to prove in court and, more importantly, I think that designers should be working together, not fighting each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Design guidelines for new Tokyo 2020 logos downloaded over 10,000 times in 1 week

Submission guidelines for new 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games logos were downloaded over 10,000 times in the week after they were posted online by the organizing committee on Oct. 16.
An emblem selection committee to seek and screen submissions was set up on Oct. 22. Submissions will be accepted through a special site from Nov. 24, and committee members hope to narrow down the number of logo candidates to between 100 and 300 this year. The committee has informally decided to conduct final screening of submissions next year.
"There will be over 10,000 submissions, possibly tens of thousands," predicted committee Chairman Ryohei Miyata, president of Tokyo University of the Arts.
Committee members and external experts will screen entries to check whether they meet the guidelines, whether they resemble any other designs or have any other problems that would make it difficult to register them as trademarks, and whether they are close enough to the general concept for submissions, among other factors. To ensure transparency, officials will consider incorporating public opinion in the final selection.
Seven key concepts that the organizing committee has called to be incorporated in the emblem design are "The Power of Sport," "Japanese-ness and Tokyo-ness," "World Peace," "Personal Best and Utmost Effort," "Sense and Unity of Inclusion," "Innovativeness and Future-oriented," and "Reconstruction and the Power to Rise Up."
The guidelines state that submissions must be created using graphic design software, and entries of scanned or photographed hand-drawn works will not be accepted. The winner of the design competition will receive 1 million yen and be invited to the Olympic and Paralympic opening ceremonies.

October 23, 2015 ,The Mainichi

Link to this article:http://mainichi.jp/english/english/newsselect/news/20151023p2a00m0na008000c.html

October 23, 2015 ,The Mainichi

Link to this article:http://mainichi.jp/english/english/newsselect/news/20151023p2a00m0na008000c.html

Seven key concepts that the organizing committee has called to be incorporated in the emblem design are "The Power of Sport," "Japanese-ness and Tokyo-ness," "World Peace," "Personal Best and Utmost Effort," "Sense and Unity of Inclusion," "Innovativeness and Future-oriented," and "Reconstruction and the Power to Rise Up."

Were those "key concepts" in the brief for the original design? If so, I'd never have known it, except for the sun-blob.

Sport: ???

Peace: International plagiarism

Japan: Red dot

Tokyo: The T

Unity: Circle made with white space

Effort: ???

Innovation: Classiness

Rise up: ???

I'd dispute the "Innovation: Classiness" bit- the Tokyo '64 logo had enough classiness for me, following the old-fashioned Rome and Melbourne efforts.

^^ Since now, it seems. I prefer each host has their own logo instead of using the same old one to be honest (as iconic as it is).I really like how they included Mt. Fuji inside the Rugby World Association crest. Also I guess this means they finally reached a deal since there were fears they would take away the hosting rights from Japan because of the Tokyo stadium last minute decision to scrap the Zaha Hadid original design.

I once thought individual world cup logos would be good for the RWC, but liked what has happened since France 07. The RWC logo, with each host getting to have their own unique word mark and *look of the tournament*.

rugbyworldcup2011_game_post.jpg

245_0_1357311192.jpg

Sorry for joining this debate so late - and probably my opinion has already been stated by others before: But I was really astonished to read about Tokyo's decision to withdraw the logos, and I must say that it's hard to believe that that designer was so stupid to do such a blatant plagiarism of Theatre de Liège's logo. But anything is possible of course, even if I do not deem it very likely, and Tokyo's decision shows how strong the pressure must have been on them - maybe also due to the controversial Zaha Hadid design for the Olympic Stadium and its subsequent scrapping. Tokyo 2020 is really in troubled waters these days. But hey, so many Olympic Games were in troubled waters in the past - in the lead-up to the Games as well as right during the course of the Games. Tokyo will survive it, but I sure do hope that they manage to do the rest of the preparations without further controversies of that scale.

kenya hara reveals logo proposal for the 2020 tokyo olympics

all images courtesy of kenya hara

following plagiarism claims and extensive controversy regarding the emblem design of the 2020 tokyo olympics, thewinning proposal by kenjiro sano has been withdrawn. the ongoing complications prompted the event’s organizing committee to start the entire process from scratch, launching an open competition for the olympic and paralympic games identity on october 16th. the recreation of call for entries essentially eliminated the previously-proposed ideas of hundreds of applicants from current consideration.

in wake of these recent developments, japanese graphic designer kenya hara, founder of hara design institute, decided to publish his original submitted proposal, supporting graphics, and reference material. in the realization of the olympic and paralympic games emblem, hara has visualized symbolic interpretations of a heartbeat and a celestial body, incorporated into a single spherical composition. colored in red and featuring gold details, the mark indicates both the traditional japanese color of dynamism and passion, and subtly hints at the idea of winning a gold medal.

kenya-hara-rejected-2020-tokyo-olympics-

There are many pictures so I picked up some of them.

I like his logos. Far better than Sano's.

Link to this article:http://www.designboom.com/design/kenya-hara-logo-proposal-2020-tokyo-olympics-11-09-2015/

Kenya Hara was also the guy who did the design for the ceremonies program books of Nagano '98. I knew his works for some time and now I kind of regret his design was never picked, even if it was a rehash of the 1964 logo.

http://www.ndc.co.jp/hara/en/works/2014/08/naganoolympic.html

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

There are many pictures so I picked up some of them.

I like his logos. Far better than Sano's.

Link to this article:http://www.designboom.com/design/kenya-hara-logo-proposal-2020-tokyo-olympics-11-09-2015/

But...Tokyo 2200??? 185 years to go before those Games. At least they have plenty of time to build this new Stadium! ;)

• Like 1