works_b.png

This one (the Olympic one) seems to be very familiar to me. I wonder a very similar design has been used in an international sport games, or a national games.

It kinda reminds me of one of the alternate Sochi 2014 logos

sochi-logos-5.jpeg

I actually quite like A, but it would need some tweaking. It's just bit too blue and looks too much like a racing flag. It does however look like it would potentially make the best brand. It's strong.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://tokyo2020.jp/en/emblem/

I like it. Being a regular visitor to Tokyo and knowing it's skyline and the colours of the cityscape it just works. It is industrial, perhaps even with a touch of steampunk. I think as westerners

You guys better quit this crap now before me or one of the other mods puts an end to this.

All this proves that Japan's great graphic artists of the post-war years, and probably into the 70s, and even the influence of great animator (guy who made PRINCESS MONONOKE) have all retired, are riddled with arthritis, or have crossed over the Tori gate.

All this proves that Japan's great graphic artists of the post-war years, and probably into the 70s, and even the influence of great animator (guy who made PRINCESS MONONOKE) have all retired, are riddled with arthritis, or have crossed over the Tori gate.

No, it proves once again the people leading the Organizing Comittee are geriatrics with no idea of the current times and who have made lots of blunders already (case in point, the stadium). Japan still has lots of good designers, just that they were overlooked for the Olympics, just like Korea also has good designers and we now have to deal with that logo.

Actually, now that you mention it, C does kinda give off an Indian vibe. The Paralympic one at least.

Don't blame you, the motif of it is somewhat religious and we all know budhism origins can also be traced in India.

tokyo2020_olympics_logo_thumb.jpg

Miss me already?

Better having a crappy logo than an unoriginal ripoff. Sorry.

More bumps on the road to final selection of new Olympic emblem

It has been something of a marathon for organizers of the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics and Paralympics to come up with an original emblem for the event, but the end is in sight.
The first emblem, by a noted Japanese designer, was selected in July 2015, and then ran into legal problems after a Belgian designer threatened legal proceedings, citing plagiarism.
The process since then has not been without its share of speed bumps.
But on April 8, four final candidate emblems were unveiled by the Tokyo 2020 Emblem Selection Committee of the Tokyo Organizing Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The organizing committee will accept comments via the Internet as well as mailed on postcards until April 17 before holding a final selection meeting on April 25. Comments can be submitted over the Internet to <www.emblem-comments.jp>.
Those comments will be taken into consideration when the 21 members of the emblem selection committee vote to decide which becomes the official emblem.
The four emblem designs were announced along with a written statement by the creators that outlined the main concept behind each design.
Ryohei Miyata, chairman of the Tokyo 2020 Emblem Selection Committee who is also commissioner for cultural affairs, said, "The four are the result of thorough discussions within the committee."
The call for new emblem designs was made last November, and 14,599 were submitted. A preliminary screening reduced the number of candidates to 64.
In a meeting in January, four finalists were chosen along with another four considered to be at the next tier. During that process, all factors that might prejudice the views of the committee members, including the names, gender and ages of the creators of the designs, were kept secret.
After the eight designs were picked, the process moved toward a check to ensure the designs did not infringe on trademarks registered in Japan or abroad. In that process, three of the four finalists as well as two of the four in the second tier could not clear the trademark condition. That left only three candidates so another design that did not even make the second tier was included after a vote was taken among committee members.
The troubles with the original Olympic emblem emerged after a design by Kenjiro Sano was selected in July 2015. However, it bore a striking resemblance to a logo used by a Belgian theater and legal threats ensued unless it was withdrawn.
Criticism was also directed at the closed nature of the selection process.
In September, Sano's design was pulled, forcing the emblem selection committee to go through the process all over again.
The final selection meeting on April 25 will be held behind closed doors. If a design does not gain a majority of votes, the one that received the fewest number of votes will be dropped and a second round of voting held. That process will be repeated until the final design is chosen.
After the executive board of the organizing committee approves the selection, the new emblem will be officially unveiled.

April 9, 2016

The Asahi Shimbun

Link to this article:http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201604090043.html

tokyo2020_olympics_logo_thumb.jpg

Miss me already?

No. This can be a good logo for a "theatre", not for the olympics :ph34r: All the options are better than this. B, C and D are fine for me but I like more B because is the only one with some color efects. Looks more professional. The only dissapointment is that i was waiting for something inovative after London and Rio.

No. This can be a good logo for a "theatre", not for the olympics :ph34r: All the options are better than this. B, C and D are fine for me but I like more B because is the only one with some color efects. Looks more professional. The only dissapointment is that i was waiting for something inovative after London and Rio.

Rio, besides the 3D thing, wasn't much inovative, if anything it was a sendback to the 90's and early 00's logos. After the huge disaproval the London logo got (despite everyone in the end got used to it) they decided to play it safe on recent years.

Rio's logo is slick and easy on the eye, understandable, and very reflective of what their Games will be about. It might not be groundreaking but it's far, far better than anything Tokyo is offering.

• Like 1

I feel like something that is equally as important is how the logo will inspire the look of the games. I can already imagine how it would be done for A and D, but for B and especially C I'm not sure what direction they would go...

Now that I have understood more about where A came from it's become my second favorite to D. I still think that B feels a little unbalanced but I wouldn't be devastated if it was chosen. I also was thinking how, if you can possibly remember, the logo for Nagano did technically exist in a 3D form during the handover ceremony and some other instances, so I think that a similar 3D representation could be done for D.

As far as I'm aware the decision should be made next next Monday (the 25th). Interestingly enough, in the Japan Times twitter poll D did significantly better than the others while in the NBC Olympics poll B did.

LOL

Seriously, just leave this place. No-one wants to talk to you.

We know you're just some idiot who's made his own account on the forum just to annoy us.

Plus you type like a retard.

And I'm talking to you, TeamBlakeUSA

Here is more information about the winning design and the selection process:

Tokyo 2020 Games Emblems

emblem.jpg

Winning design

Harmonized chequered emblem
Chequered patterns have been popular in many countries around the world throughout history. In Japan, the chequered pattern became formally known as “ichimatsu moyo” in the Edo period (1603-1867), and this chequered design in the traditional Japanese colour of indigo blue expresses a refined elegance and sophistication that exemplifies Japan.
Composed of three varieties of rectangular shapes, the design represents different countries, cultures and ways of thinking. It incorporates the message of “unity in diversity”. It also expresses that the Olympic and Paralympic Games seek to promote diversity as a platform to connect the world.

Designer of the Tokyo 2020 Games emblems
Asao Tokolo

Year of birth: 1969
Place of residence: Tokyo
Education: Graduated in Architecture from the Tokyo Zokei University
Current employment: Tokolo.com
Awards and exhibitions

• MOT Annual 2010: Neo-Ornamentalism from Japanese Contemporary Art, Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo
  • Open Space 2010 and 2011 - InterCommunication Center (ICC), Tokyo
  • 2014 Materializing Exhibition II - Chinretsukan Gallery of the University Art Museum, Tokyo University of the Arts
  • 2016 TOKOLO Asao x Aomori City Archives Exhibition - Aomori Contemporary Art Centre, Aomori Prefecture
Selected Works
2007 - FRP/F town façade pattern, Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture (architect: Hitoshi Abe)
2012 - Façade pattern for the 125th Anniversary of the Education Center, Kogakuin University (architect: Chiba Manabu Architects, design work with Azumi Mitsuboshi, Hachioji, Tokyo)
2015 - BaoBao Issey Miyake bag (Tokolo pattern)
2015 - Low-rise part façade glass pattern for the Dai Nagoya Building, Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture (Architect: Mitsubishi Jisho Sekkei Inc.)

Runner-up designs

Connecting Circle, Expanding Harmony

Kozue Kuno

Year of birth: 1978

Surpassing One's Personal Best

Takaaki Goto

Year of birth: 1966

Flowering of Emotions

Chie Fujii

Year of birth: 1967

Substitute designs

Names and places of residence of creators of shortlisted designs
  • ・Daisuke Kumei
    Place of residence: Hokkaido
  • ・Kazuyuki Yamano
  • ・Sayuri Shoji
*In order of received entry

Selection Process
Selection process through to the four shortlisted emblem designs
Tokyo 2020 Games emblems - selection process

Source: https://tokyo2020.jp/en/games/emblem/

• Like 1

Im actually pretty happy they went with these. The others may have been *prettier* and most likely would have won a gb logo contest - but these are good strong marks. I feel the favoured D option would have been far too wishy washy, as weak as Lima's .

This will form a great look of the Games I think.

Only downside with the way this competition was done, is that it's like we are missing out the detailed refinement stage. None of the logos seemed to pay much attention to the typeface, especially when the word mark has been so integral in the branding of recent Olympics.

I think perhaps there would also have been room to shake up the colours used, much like London did. I'd like to think we will get a refined image now they have picked the winner, I highly doubt it though

• Like 2

Even thought my signature is obviously D I was hoping that A would be chosen in the end. Only that and C had any clear cultural representation. I also thought that this one looks a little more modern than the others and, when you think about it, is about the same shape (in a very general sense) as the 1964 logo.