London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK; scratch that. DarJoLe just said on SSC that that box is where radioactive waste was buried. ANd indeed that's what that upturned box, probably one lined with lead is. But then again, why would they bury the radioactive waste on the water level? Wouldn't that be totally moronic??

Baron, I meant the almost square hole just a little bit above the area with the blue pilings.

And I suppose DarJoLe was joking.

I really don't know that that's the cauldron spot. It looks more like beginnings of a sewage depot to me. Its level lower than the stadium's main level and the white marker box that we see today also indicate that to me...a marker for the stadium's sewage depot reservoir.

But then again, as I said, if this is going to be an organic effort, then the human sewage depot + the performing animals' dung = the cauldron's fuel? :wacko:

Get me outta here. Am glad I'm not anywhere near that site nor under the shadow of the cauldron!!!

Other photos, please...

Why would there be radioactive waste dumping ground right next to the stadium?? That's the most absurd thing I've heard. I think darjole is trying to lure us from obviously correctly guessed the cauldron location.

Why would there be radioactive waste dumping ground right next to the stadium?? That's the most absurd thing I've heard. I think darjole is trying to lure us from obviously correctly guessed the cauldron location.

I think it's close by but that's NOT the cauldron spot. That's a septic tank location.

So then you believe the ticket design (which bears zero resemblance to any other graphic we've seen from LOCOG) is purely abstract? That would a surprising choice, considering they are the most expensive, highly sought-after tickets of the Games.

A hypothesis is not grasping at straws. It's a reasoned guess. Obviously before we see the ceremonies no one knows what the design on the tickets represents. The fact that we're even having this conversation is evidence that the ticket design hasn't given anything away. It could represent the cauldron. That is not impossible and would be a fun choice that LOCOG could have easily implemented if they chose to take the trouble to quietly liaise between the teams as needed.

Time will tell.

I just think it's more likely that the design team meant to evoke the grand, celebratory, and ceremonial nature of the OC through an abstract design reminiscent of fireworks and trumpet fanfare than Boyle and his team sharing the cauldron design with people who don't really need to know. That seems more reasonable to me, but yes, time will tell.

I think darjole is trying to lure us from obviously correctly guessed the cauldron location.

Are they part of LOCOG?

Bar the rather early date of that photograph and the possibility of it being an area for waste, that dug out square seems like a good lead on the cauldron's location... interesting.

Like I said, time will tell about the ticket/cauldron relationship or lack thereof. You could be right.

I'm not convinced that lower hole is the cauldron location. It seems a bit far away from the stadium. The cauldron would have to be VERY tall to be visible from inside the stadium. I agree with Baron that it's in the general area, but I'm not certain about that precise spot.

And will public be allowed to cross that bridge onto that patch of land (which I highly doubt so)?

Either end of that small pedestrian bridge is fenced off with gates to limit access. At least for now.

Picture?

Someone posted on Twitter. Isnt this similar to the opening ticket design? The trumpet/ stalk design

AwgJNlZCQAEsi00.jpg5Ne5Kd5Mb3k53I13p3c6j9e76f640da361fc2.jpg

If there is a multiple cauldron it would the due to the 30th Olympiad? May be one little cauldron for each Olympiad forming a cauldron complex???

If there is a multiple cauldron it would the due to the 30th Olympiad? May be one little cauldron for each Olympiad forming a cauldron complex???
what ??? never see that happening before.... cauldron all over the stadium will not happen here... i don't see any area for that..

It may very well be the orbit

I agree I don't know how the orbit would work well as a cauldron, but the new BBC Aerial Photos of the Orbit roof, suggest otherwise.

cauldron2.png

Look at the massive void/hole and how much piping hardware is around it.

It is all but confirmed, at least for me, this is where the cauldron will emerge

It may very well be the orbit I agree I don't know how the orbit would work well as a cauldron, but the new BBC Aerial Photos of the Orbit roof, suggest otherwise. cauldron2.png Look at the massive void/hole and how much piping hardware is around it. It is all but confirmed, at least for me, this is where the cauldron will emerge
uh oh.... how people in the stadium see the flame???

First of all, its an honor to join the discussion I have been reading for months. I have two theories as to where the cauldron could be. #1 The Orbit. Reference the last picture of the top of the observation deck. Is the circle the same size as the fiver rings location around the stadium. See the most recent photos for these. Is it possible they form the Olympic Rings, burst into flames and stack to reveal a cauldron on top of the tower. #2 its on the promenade are near the old little bridge where there are the multi-colored surfaces and several little structures rise to make on big cauldron that is hidden under ground only to rise up and amaze us.

If the first is true, then Thomas Heatherwick could have designed a structure that rises from the square within the flames to rest atop the observation deck. Why would London 2012 build such a structure and only have it be an observation deck. LEGACY is a major part of these games since the bid. Why visit a, what some have called "ugly" tower in 20 or 30 years? Because it was the Olympic Cauldron it was the Olympic Cauldron is one good reason.

Except that there's no good place for it on the Orbit and the Orbit is totally unharmonious with Heatherwick's style.

Yes there's a square cavity. That could be for anything. The heat of the flame would compromise the overhead loop if you put it there. Not to mention the fact that the whole structure could become a firetrap.

Plus, as others have noted the cauldron planning was executed before the Orbit plans.

The cauldron will not be on the Orbit.

I know I said they were theories. But it's a last minute thought I wanted to share. Look at the most recent aerial photos, the five rings seem to be the same size of the inner ring of the Orbit. And the top of the observation area is far enough from the red structure to support a flame.

If you visit The United States Olympic Committee Headquarters in Colorado Springs you can view the underside of the flame from a skylight.

Well if you're willing to pay £15 to go up a tower with a burning gas line in a metal cage above your head, with the only escape route if anything goes wrong a flimsy lift and staircase that takes ten minutes to get down...well.

None of us know where in the Olympic Park the Cauldron will be located.

True. But I think we know some places it WON'T be located. I'd bet every penny I have that it won't be on the Orbit. It's going to be somewhere to the north of the stadium.

I know he design the rings. I could see two artists working together to create modern harmonious pieces What about theory number two. Several small cauldrons uniting as one. Like the ticket graphics. The muli-colored walkway is close off from pedestrian traffic right? It's near the suspicious area we have been talking about, its accessible to everyone and if they rise tall enough seen by everyone. It would look like the tree-structure at the entrance of the Stratford Station Thoughts? By the way, I take all opinions only because I want to see which one of us can figure it out while enjoying the big show on the 27th. As far a spoilers and leaks, I am a continent away and cannot wait for these games, for the ceremonies and seeing where the daring LOCOG team will "Inspire a Generation".

And whats with the wooden tower that was recently built near Straford for Ikea?

Well, the Calgary Tower had a flame on top during the 1988 Winter Games as well. So that doesn't totally rule out Olympic Flames on top of towers used by tourists.

But this shouldn't rekindle the old Orbit debate. It's not the cauldron, it's not the cauldron, it's not the cauldron. We would definitely see at this late stage of time if they had to prepare it for the cauldron construction. The less days are left before the opening ceremony, it's getting more and more probable that the cauldron will rather suddenly emerge somewhere or that they can assemble it very quickly.

I know he design the rings. I could see two artists working together to create modern harmonious pieces What about theory number two. Several small cauldrons uniting as one. Like the ticket graphics.

Some people here already speculated about it just a few pages before. Please look it up.

And whats with the wooden tower that was recently built near Straford for Ikea?

We already had that before as well (but it's longer ago, so you as newbie can't know it). A cauldron on top of a wooden tower? I suppose your question is already answered with that.

But besides of that, we know that that tower is just promotion of Ikea and it's also too far away from the stadium to be a cauldron.

We have reached a point where we can hardly develop any new theories about the cauldron's location, because we are guessing about it already for such a long time. That's why I really look forward to July 27 (or maybe even to an earlier day) when all that speculation can finally find an end.

They can't just put up a tall tower outside the stadium in a matter of days.

I've been saying this all along, you need a to dig out and pour a concrete foundation for something like that. With less than 20 days before they should begin testing the cauldron, there just isn't any time. Torino's took over a month to build. London has less time than that and their cauldron would still need to be taller than Torino's in order to be seen above the stadium's tall floodlights.

It's gotten to the point where one can reasonably and confidently say that a Torino-esque cauldron tower isn't going to happen.

Archived