London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

I really don't think the cauldron will rise out of the tor. Yes, there's space, but I think the purpose of the tor is to act as a stage and platform -- not a cover up. Plus, Adrian already said the cauldron wasn't there.

Sydney's stage doubled as the cauldron's holding spot, let's not forget.

And for the sake of clarification and to ensure everyone is caught up (because I'm not), what exactly did Adrian say? Does he know exactly where it's going to be or does he have a general idea of where it may or may not go?

Have you seen the most recent image from the stadium? Here it is from the opening ceremony forum (spoiler alert to anyone who doesnt want to know anything about the opening ceremony)

.article-2158842-13973EF8000005DC-218_964x641.jpg

Is the ring on top of the roof new at the bottom left of this picture? I dont remember seeing it before. Could this have anything to do with the cauldron?? Or at least the lighting of the Cauldron outside the stadium???

Sorry, bottom right, not bottom left.

• Like 2

I'm imagining the final torch somehow traveling down the mini Thames to that ramp. That tree area has to be the location of the couldron.

...it's odd the rings are so strewn all about, makes one think the process of comming together may be part of the cerimony. Will they perhaps be discovered scene by scene to finaly join in some sort of climax.

...can the rings end up permanently attached to the "platform" above the tree? ....will the couldron be possitioned with the rings as a backdrom? ....I think the couldron will rise above roofline, or I hope so.

...also still curious about that graphic on the cerimony tickets, and how it may indicat some design ellement in the couldron..

London-2012-tickets-006.jpg

...havent seen anythign like that in any of the other graphic compositions, an explosive arangement of armatures seems like one of the designers trademarck design ques.

Thanks for sharing pjpauly2k. From looking at the shadows under those rings it looks like they are suspended on the intricate roof cable runners. I wonder do they come together to make the olympic rings? If so then the fifth ring is missing. Don't think these will be cauldron related.

Have you seen the most recent image from the stadium? Here it is from the opening ceremony forum (spoiler alert to anyone who doesnt want to know anything about the opening ceremony)

Is the ring on top of the roof new at the bottom left of this picture? I dont remember seeing it before. Could this have anything to do with the cauldron?? Or at least the lighting of the Cauldron outside the stadium???

Sorry, bottom right, not bottom left.

Thanks for sharing pjpauly2k. From looking at the shadows under those rings it looks like they are suspended on the intricate roof cable runners. I wonder do they come together to make the olympic rings? If so then the fifth ring is missing. Don't think these will be cauldron related.

If you look closely there are actuallly 5 rings. 2 of them are to the right side of ther river themse and one right at the bridge leading to this hill. The other one lying on the white floor and the fifth on on the rooftop.

• Like 1

Ah yes Matt I see all five now. Your eyes are better than mine. LOL

If you look closely there are actuallly 5 rings. 2 of them are to the right side of ther river themse and one right at the bridge leading to this hill. The other one lying on the white floor and the fifth on on the rooftop.

There's more pictures here, a close up of the tree. There's vertical wires hanging from the tree top, very possible the tree is to be lifted up or removed. Something is definitely coming out from under the tree/ beneath the tor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2158842/London-Olympics-2012-Images-Houses-Parliament-bathed-morning-sun.html

More and more are being revealed now and in a way I don't want to know too much anymore. Want the rest to be a surprise. Conundrum!

Edited by kevzz
  • Like 2

Is there any way we can have a definite way of telling the distance of the tree from the roof? Sometimes photos can be misleading and hard to tell for sure. I have a feeling the tree and the stage is actually outside of the roof rim and hence shouldn't be a problem having cauldron there. Also the height distance might be so big that even if the roof is directly on top it shouldn't be a problem too.

Sydney's stage doubled as the cauldron's holding spot, let's not forget.

There's more pictures here, a close up of the tree. There's vertical wires hanging from the tree top, very possible the tree is to be lifted up or removed. Something is definitely coming out from under the tree/ beneath the tor.

Thanks for the photos Pipauly2k and Kevzz :)

Aside from the safety hazard of a Cauldron amongst the spectator seating area, the other reasons the Cauldron cannot be where the tree is are:

• it will block the view of spectators behind it during the Athletics competition and the Closing Ceremony, and
  • also block the view of the scoreboard and the large tv screen during these.

It is highly likely that the Cauldron will be anchored on a tower structure outside the Stadium so many more can see it.

It is highly improbable that the unique London Heatherwick 'sculpture' Cauldron we are all expecting is going to be moved at all - like we re-arrange furniture at home.

Yes, Sydney's Cauldron was hidden under a stage but it rose up out of the stage and (eventually) travelled up a set of very strong and sturdy metal rail tracks to the very top of the Stadiium.

We're talking chalk and cheese when comparing Sydney's with London's completely different Stadium design and strength.

I agree that the wires and ledge above indicate the Tree has a greater purpose other than 'just being a tree' - but not as the Cauldron or a disguise above a hidden one.

Perhaps the tree will be lifted up, split apart or itself be some sort of link for the final torchbearer/s in the lighting sequence to a separately located external Cauldron.

article-2158842-13973EE6000005DC-938_964x641.jpg

article-2158842-139741CF000005DC-576_964x641.jpg

Edited by AustralianFan

I don't think a cauldron in the area of the thor is a given, but I don't think it's completely impossible at this point either. I would take that over a large cauldron outside the stadium and here's why:

Old aerial pictures of the northern end of the stadium.

tumblr_m5kyetMWqn1qiu78qo1_500.png

tumblr_m5kyetMWqn1qiu78qo2_500.png

olympic-stadium-006.jpg

No real signs of a pre-laid foundation for a tall cauldron tower. And the Daily Mail would've made sure to take pictures of this area if there was significant activity going on, so I would say probably isn't at the moment. Time is quickly running out for such a big structure to start getting anchored to the concourse...

What is that light colored circular object though? It's perfectly aligned with the stadium and the triangular floodlight. Are you sure it isn't evidence that the cauldron WILL be outside the stadium to the north?

What is that light colored circular object though? It's perfectly aligned with the stadium and the triangular floodlight. Are you sure it isn't evidence that the cauldron WILL be outside the stadium to the north?

Whatever it is, there are more just like it at multiple points around the stadium so it's doubtful they're cauldron related.

tumblr_m5l14o55kp1qiu78qo1_500.png

Whatever it is, there are more just like it at multiple points around the stadium so it's doubtful they're cauldron related.

tumblr_m5l14o55kp1qiu78qo1_500.png

Dummies! To throw us off the scent! I'm kidding.....

Still betting on a cauldron to the north outside the stadium.

• Like 1

Hmmm...Remember that failed 'river of fire' from the 2000 celebrations? An idea for lighting the cauldron?

Wasn't the "River of Fire" on Closing Ceremony night in 2000 just part of a line of a series of strategically placed fireworks barges that stretched from inner Sydney Harbour past the Bridge and up the Parramatta River to Olympic Park?

I do remember there were a hell of a lot fireworks going off from many barges from Olympic Park right up the river and well into Sydney Harbour that memorable night after it all ended.

For London's OC, will the Torch travel up the Thames to a waterway close to Olympic Park? (for Sydney, it travelled to near the Stadium on a 'rivercat' ferry)

Edited by AustralianFan

http://www.dailymail...orning-sun.html

More and more are being revealed now and in a way I don't want to know too much anymore. Want the rest to be a surprise. Conundrum!

Probably the tree wil be removed. The meadow is just for the opening segment "Green and pleasant". Boyle stated after this the stage will change...

The meadow is also to be enjoyed by the public inside the stadium more than the audience for tv...

• Like 1

Wasn't the "River of Fire" on Closing Ceremony night in 2000 just part of a line of a series of strategically placed fireworks barges that stretched from inner Sydney Harbour past the Bridge and up the Parramatta River to Olympic Park?

I do remember there were a hell of a lot fireworks going off from many barges from Olympic Park right up the river and well into Sydney Harbour that memorable night after it all ended.

For London's OC, will the Torch travel up the Thames to a waterway close to Olympic Park? (for Sydney, it travelled to near the Stadium on a 'rivercat' ferry)

Oh, I meant the one for the millennium New Years Eve celebrations in London for Dec 31, 1999 - Jan 1, 2000: http://news.bbc.co.u...news/587071.stm

Edited by Kenadian

It was a bit of a fail.

Seems like whenever they try to do something spectacular with the river, it always ends up a damp squib. The millennium fire and also the diamond jubilee river pageant. It's those things they wished people will not remember.