London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

No one is writing anything!

Errr....this thread has only been going just over 2 months and we're on page 88. I don't think I've ever seen a busier thread on this forum!!!

I think he meant that we haven't written anything for three days. Probably because this thread is usually that busy it's strange already for some members if there is nothing going on here for such a "long" time. ;)

I think he meant that we haven't written anything for three days. Probably because this thread is usually that busy it's strange already for some members if there is nothing going on here for such a "long" time. ;)

Thank you, at least someone understands, I can see I've got people saying things again!

Thank you, at least someone understands, I can see I've got people saying things again!

Let's keep it up! Being the busiest forum and all!

Ive just arrived in Northern Greece for a christening and holidays. I'm almost Greek, been here so many times,beautiful country, beautiful people. Going to the island of Skiathos shortly.

Any new developments in or around the staidum? Aerial photos?

Ive just arrived in Northern Greece for a christening and holidays. I'm almost Greek, been here so many times,beautiful country, beautiful people. Going to the island of Skiathos shortly.

Apparently not...

I'm in the Olympic Park tomorrow and will hope to get as many pictures as possible and post them at some stage on Sunday when I get back to my computer. I've never posted any on my own pictures here before. Is it relatively easy to do?

I've never posted any on my own pictures here before. Is it relatively easy to do?

Upload your pics on internet with a website as http://imageshack.us/

Copy/past the direct link to the image in the image 'template' here on GamesBids (picture button in the above edit functions' bar)

• Like 1

I had a nose around in the past couple of days as close as I could to the site where we think the cauldron might be, and looked around inside the stadium. There's still nothing to see, at least as close as I could spot from one of the bridges. The mystery continues, and I imagine we might not even know after the dress rehearsals!

Well, BC place was an inclosed venue so aerial pictures showed nothing and the idea of a cauldron out by the convention center wasn't really on people's minds so no one was looking there.

Five weeks out, Beijing's cauldron was well into its construction... nothing yet about London's that we can see...

Thanks for the advice SwissO. Seems simple enough. Pics will be up on Sunday evening.

Thanks Paul65, will be looking forward to your pics.

I'm wondering if those barges in these earlier June photos are still there off to one side in the canals at the northern end of the stadium and if those objects on them have revealed themselves as yet ....

CanalobjectsJasonHawkes-3244_xlarge.jpg

_60904704_60898185-1.jpg

Edited by AustralianFan

Many (not all) on this thread have completely ruled out the AcelorMittal Orbit Tower as a site for a stunning Cauldron and equally amazing engineering accomplishment,

or a role to be played in the Cauldron lighting seqence.

The Orbit Tower is there now, ready and waiting, and remains on my 'shortlist' list of possible locations (all external to the stadium), as is SwissO's original circle area on the other side of one of the canals opposite the stadium.

Edited by AustralianFan

Especially not if they even want to exhibit a model of the cauldron at the V & A museum. Would they exhibit the cauldron minus the Orbit? That would probably look awkward. Would they exhibit the cauldron plus the Orbit? Then it wouldn't be an exhibition purely with Thomas Heatherwick stuff.

Additionally, we would most certainly see at this late stage of time if they built a cauldron on the Orbit.

No, the cauldron must be under construction right now, but hidden somewhere. And that's why I increasingly lose faith in a tower outside the stadium.

Good grief. It's not the Orbit. Heatherwick + Orbit = never in a million years.

I thought throwing in a bit of Orbit controversy would stir up some activity. It didn't take long, lol.

Well we’re all armchair experts aren’t we ? me included. Well, its just that I like backing a roughie!

As the anticipation builds in the next 4 weeks, we all have just that …… armchair theories and ideas.

Maybe some ideas are more unimaginable or more unwanted than others. We dont have much to go on as the highly organised LOCOG have done a superb job at keeping things secret.

I would think that the Cauldron and its supporting structure are all completed by now ready for imminent stealth installation and testing.

Its shaping up to be the best Cauldron in many an Olympic Games.

Edited by AustralianFan

Looking at the latest tor/oak tree picture from the Ceremony thread's Sun website link, you can see the ledge on the roof more clearly now. Still not entirely sure what it's for. Is it possible the grass surface of the tor will be peeled off at one stage to reveal a different stage under? The swirling contour of the tor resembles the swirl of water (river) too, maybe it is part of the design concept for the cauldron?

I still strongly believe the tor HAS got to be used for some other purpose. That tree and the tor is not placed there without any practical function. We know the tree will be lifted up at some point, but what comes under or what replaces it is still up in the air. At this stage I will bet all my chips on the cauldron being lit on this tor/ mound/ stage.

Edited by kevzz

The Orbit is unrealistic for all the reasons already outlined in this thread; health and safety, artistic integrity, being able to actually see the flame, its peaking over the roof of the stadium rather than dominating it. Just can't see it.

The circular bit is the Great British Garden. It's hard to see from the overhead shot you posted, but there's an oak tree smack bang in the middle of that circle. So I think we can safely rule that out too.

From the Virtual Tour posted by Rob in the olympic park thread:

http://www.jasonhawk...irtualtour.html

Anyone noticed that quaint little arch bridge linking the colour mosaic bridge across the river to the green landscape to the east of the stadium? There's two little rectangle white patches on the grass. Firstly, what is that little arch bridge for? It looks so disproportionate and odd, linking to that patch of landscape that really is a dead end with no special interest. Could it be the bridge is special access only and the rectangle patches are where the cauldron is?

Edited by kevzz

The Orbit is unrealistic for all the reasons already outlined in this thread; health and safety, artistic integrity, being able to actually see the flame, its peaking over the roof of the stadium rather than dominating it. Just can't see it.

The circular bit is the Great British Garden. It's hard to see from the overhead shot you posted, but there's an oak tree smack bang in the middle of that circle. So I think we can safely rule that out too.

Yes possilby. I think a Cauldron on any external tower structure, including an Orbit 'transplant', will absolutely tower over the Stadium, much more than the current height of the Orbit.

We ought not to think that things will remain the same as they currently are, including the height of existing structures, if they are going for a wow factor, which I think they are.

If someone had said to me that before the OC in Sydney that a flaming Cauldron would rise up out of a water pool on the stage above a symphony orhestra, I would have said that they had taken something illegal.

Edited by AustralianFan