London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

As I just posted on SSC:

I think the secret will lay with the sheep and the cows. Ideas, said Heatherwick! It will be a dung-fueled cauldron; not your tired, traditional gas-fueled cauldrons. That's why Boyle is so insistent on using live farm animals. The gas lines were merely a ruse to throw everybody off!

So it'll be either the water-mill prop or, all the "suffragettes" and athletes gather all those giant NHS beds into the center and lite one BIG bonfire/cauldron!! It's all very organic in concept!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I find it hard to believe that the few people who know everything about the cauldron would bother relaying any information or design images to the graphic design team in charge of making the tickets. I mean, why bother? The only people speculating about the cauldron enough to catch the hint would be a handful on a couple of internet discussion boards. Not really worth the effort I think.

I find it hard to believe that the few people who know everything about the cauldron would bother relaying any information or design images to the graphic design team in charge of making the tickets. I mean, why bother? The only people speculating about the cauldron enough to catch the hint would be a handful on a couple of internet discussion boards. Not really worth the effort I think.

Agreed. Those were/are 2 different teams that worked on the tickets and the cauldron. I mean, many members of the Ceremonies team are not in on the cauldron situation, but they leaked it to the ticket design team?? Kinda odd.

Could it be Paul McCartney's piano maybe? :lol:

Agreed. Those were/are 2 different teams that worked on the tickets and the cauldron. I mean, many members of the Ceremonies team are not in on the cauldron situation, but they leaked it to the ticket design team?? Kinda odd.

Could it be Paul McCartney's piano maybe? :lol:

So you think the tickets are totally random abstract images? That would really surprise me.

I'm with Rob on this. I think the tickets are a clue to the cauldron, but the design is so abstract that it really doesn't give anything away.

I think given the ticket evidence it is safe to say that the cauldron will not be a standard "one flame" cauldron like Beijing, Athens, Sydney, Atlanta,etc...

The only other Olympics I can think of to compare this idea to is Munich 1972, with many different gas outlets...

1972-half-mast_1898667i.jpg

The El Alamein Fountain in Sydney's Kings Cross reminds me of this too.

3026892536_5f6dd5f285.jpg

_____

On an unrelated note - does anybody know what has happened to the support/podium of Sydney's Olympic cauldron? The fountain at Olympic Park only features the dish, with awkward sticks supporting it that were not part of the original design. Where is the original tower that rose up at the ceremony to support it? I always thought that it almost looked like an ode to Melbourne's Olympic cauldron.

What about the space where the Tor is? Once all that greenery goes flying off to where ever it is going and we hit dark, industrial London, that lush green and pleasant hill is going to look out of place. Plus it is already takes up a lot of real estate. Maybe there is a spiky sea urchin of a cauldron hiding beneath its green ripples?

We had that before. Besides that Adrian already wrote that the Tor is not the cauldron, the Tor can't be the cauldron because it would block the view onto the jumbotron and the seats in the blocks where the Tor is right now were available in the ticket sales for the athletic events.

Yeah, and London's preperations in general have been very efficient and streamlined. It'd be so unlike them to have highly classified ceremony information moving around to different Locog departments just for a few people to speculate widely about on the internet. So unnecessary and not worth the trouble.

I think we're really clutching at straws with this "ticket design must be a cauldron design hint!" theory.

does this shed any light (picture from By Pondspider on Flikr)

7455542814_b5cd7a35f5_h.jpg

The bridge in question, the one that is suggested to be covering up cauldron construction, is not this one, but rather the large pedestrian bridge that would be immediately to the left of this photographer. If only s/he had taken a photo of what is going on under that bridge, we might have a clue.

I stumbled across this picture of the stadium's construction in the Wikipedia article about the Olympic Stadium. It was taken in October 2009. Watch it in full size and you'll see in the red circle that already back then, they built a rectangular area right where now that mysterious plate is. Sadly one can't recognise whether they dug a hole there or whether they just fenced off a square on the ground. But I'd say that it's possible that they built the end of the gas pipe there. Or it's just for the drainage (take note of the pipes lying near the bridge north of the stadium).

2h66a7b.jpg

Yeah, and London's preperations in general have been very efficient and streamlined. It'd be so unlike them to have highly classified ceremony information moving around to different Locog departments just for a few people to speculate widely about on the internet. So unnecessary and not worth the trouble.

I think we're really clutching at straws with this "ticket design must be a cauldron design hint!" theory.

So then you believe the ticket design (which bears zero resemblance to any other graphic we've seen from LOCOG) is purely abstract? That would a surprising choice, considering they are the most expensive, highly sought-after tickets of the Games.

A hypothesis is not grasping at straws. It's a reasoned guess. Obviously before we see the ceremonies no one knows what the design on the tickets represents. The fact that we're even having this conversation is evidence that the ticket design hasn't given anything away. It could represent the cauldron. That is not impossible and would be a fun choice that LOCOG could have easily implemented if they chose to take the trouble to quietly liaise between the teams as needed.

Time will tell.

So then you believe the ticket design (which bears zero resemblance to any other graphic we've seen from LOCOG) is purely abstract? That would a surprising choice, considering they are the most expensive, highly sought-after tickets of the Games.

A hypothesis is not grasping at straws. It's a reasoned guess. Obviously before we see the ceremonies no one knows what the design on the tickets represents. The fact that we're even having this conversation is evidence that the ticket design hasn't given anything away. It could represent the cauldron. That is not impossible and would be a fun choice that LOCOG could have easily implemented if they chose to take the trouble to quietly liaise between the teams as needed.

Time will tell.

Totally agree. Wouldn't think why LOCOG who use a random, non-relevant image on the most high profile ticket design. Plus, if it's really related to the cauldron, the ticket holders will find it more memorable and collectible after that because it contains the highlight of the show.

Or it's just for the drainage (take note of the pipes lying near the bridge north of the stadium).

But why would they need drainage/ manhole on that piece of no-man's land?

Another interesting picture, taken in July 2009. The rectangular area seems to be even bigger there. Watch it in full

Wow that's quite a revelation. Seems like the only hole of its kind around the stadium. Are we nearly there finally? If there's any activity going on the plate in the next few days to come, then it's almost safe to say that's the cauldron location.

I think the cauldron's location has been identified. I am kinda sorry about that but have to say that I applaud the organisers for keeping it a secret for this long. We now have to find out how it will emerge and what it will look like. So exciting.

Edited by Lee

I think the cauldron's location has been identified. I am kinda sorry about that but have to say that I applaud the organisers for keeping it a secret for this long. We now have to find out how it will emerge and what it will look like. So exciting.

I like the sound of it :) Can we declare ourselves as the first online community to crack the cauldron location first? ;)

We just need one last evidence, one single latest pic that shows something going up or someone is working on that plate!

I'm also curious to find out how that quaint bridge is utilised, whether it has anything to do with the cauldron lighting or it's design. And will public be allowed to cross that bridge onto that patch of land (which I highly doubt so)?

Edited by kevzz

Another interesting picture, taken in July 2009. The rectangular area seems to be even bigger there. Watch it in full resolution.

(Source: http://www.flickr.co...wis/3726791224/)

3726791224_4436172bea_o.jpg

Which one? The lowest one with the blue pilings? I see at least FOUR areas there where they are doing some digging. That (blue) one is quite distant compared to the one on the mid-upper right with the yellow & white trucks & what looks like an orange cubicle. So, the one really just a doorstep away from the stadium periphery and on that triangular area jutting out.

That one in the lowest part of the photo just looks like a drainage exhaust pipe to me.

Or is it that spot on the EXTREME lower right where there looks like the foundation of two white, square pillars and then there is that white concrete or steel box waiting to fit over those 2 pillar legs?

That picture doesn't really give away anything because it was taken before Boyle, and then later, Heatherwick, were engaged to do the Ceremonies. Heatherwick may have decided that that is not the spot where he wants to root the cauldron, if indeed it is the spot.

OK; scratch that. DarJoLe just said on SSC that that box is where radioactive waste was buried. ANd indeed that's what that upturned box, probably one lined with lead, appears to be. But then again, why would they bury the radioactive waste on the water level? Did anyone think 'seepage'? Wouldn't that be totally moronic??

Also, doesn't this photo pre-date the time when the projected gas lines were laid out?

Edited by baron-pierreIV