London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

We now know what is going on top of that stage at the northern end of the stadium. (From the BBC News story 'London 2012: Olympics opening ceremony details revealed')

_60842966_photo.jpg

Its that small circular podium above that larger circular stage structure in the Northern stands that I was referring to, not the circle in the centre of the arena.

That small circular podium in the Northern stands, as shown below, reminds me of the one that rose vertically upwards during the Sydney Closing Ceremony and brought Nikki Webster up and close to the Cauldron.

If the London Cauldron structure was outside the Stadium, or even cantilevered from outside the northern end of the stadium and 'floating' over and above the centre of the stadium (see Paul65's post), then in these cases the final torchbearer is probably going to have to be in an elevated position in order to light it directly or some sort of fuse device leading to it.

The gaps in the flying wires network appear to be bigger at the outer edge of the stadium, ie possibly directly above that stage in the northern stands just in front of the jumbotron and scoreboard.

croppedzoomedjhinsidestadium.jpg

Here's a slightly higher rez pic.

• Like 1

We now know what is going on top of that stage at the northern end of the stadium. (From the BBC News story 'London 2012: Olympics opening ceremony details revealed')

_60842966_photo.jpg

Here's a slightly higher rez pic.

Very cool. British and DIFFERENT. The Brits are great at stage design. I'm glad to see they're coming through...

The black globe is weird looking. The layout also suggests to me that the parade of nations won't go all the way around the stadium.

I just figured it out-- it's not a globe, it's just a clip light in the model. Oops. The way the hill and meadow join, however it doesnt look like you can walk ALL the way around the stadium....

Oh never mind I found an article from the telegraph stating this staging will be removed during the ceremony and made way for other 'settings'. Seems promising! Plus I don't think the tree has anything to do with the cauldron.

Look at that mound under the tree. With that height and size, it is more than capable of hiding any cauldron underneath! I am placing my bet the tree will be removed at some point and the cauldron will come out from there. Or the tree will transform into a cauldron.

But we've seen what's under there a few days ago? Wasn't that the end of the stadium with the circular ironwork that we saw pics of a few days ago? But yes, it does feel possible - not least since it's not a tree on Glastonbury Tor but a tower - so surely there must be a secondary motive for making it a tree?

They

Look at that mound under the tree. With that height and size, it is more than capable of hiding any cauldron underneath! I am placing my bet the tree will be removed at some point and the cauldron will come out from there. Or the tree will transform into a cauldron.

There's definitely space there, but not for anything too big. So maybe these are the problems Heatherwick had to solve when designing the cauldron?

1. How to fit the cauldron underneath the mound and make it emerge from the small opening at the top where the tree stood?

2. Once out of the mound, how can the cauldron potentially transform into something bigger and more impressive?

3. And if the cauldron is not going to remain there during the Games, how can it be transported to another location?

And there may be an altogether unsolvable problem with this location in that the stadium's roof would be right above the flame. They can't have a big flame burning underneath such a delicate fabric roof.

And there may be an altogether unsolvable problem with this location in that the stadium's roof would be right above the flame. They can't have a big flame burning underneath such a delicate fabric roof.

Good points. And it's quite close to the seats IIRC - if it does end up there, I'd suggest those spectators take a bag of marshmallows and a toasting fork.

Amazing, slightly gutted that i gave into temptation but i would have found out about this idea sometime. I'm so glad they're including the national flowers in the ceremony, i remember years ago i wanted something like that to happen. I believe these flowers could possibly represent the olympic rings. Green hills, yellow daff, red rose, blue flax, and i'm pretty sure the thistle is dark enough to be the black ring as well judging by the prototype.

294903_10150889477097408_229066844_n.jpg

I was thinking about that purple flower. It is aligned with the path that goes directly to the tree and for me its shape is similar to some scultures made by Thomas Heatherwick. the guy that will design the cauldron.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article878862.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Olympics%2Bopening%2Bceremony%2Bdetails%2Brevealed

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_04/sculpture2410_468x321.jpg

http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LRG/49/4935/YOGHG00Z/posters/b-of-the-bang-manchester-architect-thomas-heatherwick-studio.jpg

The tree on the hill is in place inside the stadium at the northern end. What could be under it (if anything?)

images-2012-06-London_2012_Olympic_Stadium_being_completed_for_opening_ceremony_June_2012-550x550.jpg

From this picture we can clearly see how the Glastonbury tor looks like in the stadium. Notice the hill contour which looks like a winding path that leads up to the top? It seems a brilliant route for the final torchbearer to run up this winding path and light the cauldron on top. Gonna be do dramatic and great buildup of anticipation not to mention how photogenic the camera shot is of him running up the hill!

Yes...the shining beacon atop a hill, calling the world's athletes to assemble in London.

This changes everything! Could the cauldron perhaps rise out of the hill like where the tree is and then 'bloom' like a flower (think the opening of an umbrella but upside down) as it is lit?

This was an art installation for the past few years in Vancouver (now gone) which I thought would have made an interesting cauldron design. But perhaps London might be looking at something similar? Not identical, but something tree like, without appearing like a Biblical burning bush.

5_Skin_of_Time_50_Large_DF.jpg

From the picture of the tree in the stadium it does look like a big flame really might be a hazard so close to that fabric roof.

And I think a zig-zag'ed climb up the mound to a cauldron would be really dragged out, no?

From this picture we can clearly see how the Glastonbury tor looks like in the stadium. Notice the hill contour which looks like a winding path that leads up to the top? It seems a brilliant route for the final torchbearer to run up this winding path and light the cauldron on top. Gonna be do dramatic and great buildup of anticipation not to mention how photogenic the camera shot is of him running up the hill!

I agree NY20 that a Cauldron in the spot of the tree is too close to the Stadium and the immense rising heat from a Cauldron's flame would be a safety hazard to the thin temporary roof above it. I also agree with you Kevvz that there appears to be a pathway up to the Tree that a final torchbearer could run up, however, I dont think thats where the Cauldron itself will be. A torchbearer running up that winding pathway would not be a drawn out affair if there was a disguised green short-cut/s along the way that may not be so obvious from these pictures.

To plonk a 'dormant' theatrical prop like a tree in the stands like that in an elevated position indicates that it has a greater purpose to me - perhaps as a link to a Cauldron on a structure outside the Northern end of the Stadium just on the other side where the Tree is. The ledge on the Stadium roof immediately above the Tree is still unexplained as well at this stage.

Edited by AustralianFan

I looked at the stadium on Google maps (satellite image) and the roof only seems to really cover the upper bowl. But that's not exactly scientific, is it.

You're right about the roof only covering the upper level but the rising heat from a Cauldron in the stands where the Tree currently is still awfully close to the upper tier and the roof above it. Even with safety concerns aside, I can't see London going for an 'intraverted' Cauldron that can only be seen by those inside the Stadium. I think it will be a fixed high external Heatherwick Cauldron that can be seen for miles.

Edited by AustralianFan

You're right about the roof only covering the upper level but the rising heat from a Cauldron in the stands where the Tree currently is still awfully close to the upper tier and the roof above it. Even with safety concerns aside, I can't see London going for an 'intraverted' Cauldron that can only be seen by those inside the Stadium. I think it will be a fixed high external Heatherwick Cauldron that can be seen for miles.

Is there any way we can have a definite way of telling the distance of the tree from the roof? Sometimes photos can be misleading and hard to tell for sure. I have a feeling the tree and the stage is actually outside of the roof rim and hence shouldn't be a problem having cauldron there. Also the height distance might be so big that even if the roof is directly on top it shouldn't be a problem too.

They

There's definitely space there, but not for anything too big. So maybe these are the problems Heatherwick had to solve when designing the cauldron?

1. How to fit the cauldron underneath the mound and make it emerge from the small opening at the top where the tree stood?

2. Once out of the mound, how can the cauldron potentially transform into something bigger and more impressive?

3. And if the cauldron is not going to remain there during the Games, how can it be transported to another location?

Is it possible though that it could just contain the "base" of the cauldron and then the actual cauldron is positioned on top from outside the stadium?

Personally I don't think it would be the cauldron itself, but could be somehow linked to the lighting of the cauldron.

Also if the tree is on that stage where it the bell going?

• Like 1