London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

No, he disappeared already before the start of the Vancouver Games -- the RCMP paid him a visit already then, because they obviously feared he would want to prove his "BC Place's roof will burst when the cauldron is lit" scenario.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

kevzz, Tower Guy/YellowVest (he had two accounts) was getting on our nerves for many months (I believe, even years) before Vancouver's opening ceremony. He was totally obsessed with the fear (or secret hope) that BC Place's roof would explode due to the heat of the indoor cauldron's flame. And that was what he constanly posted on this forum. He always argued with us (and we with him) about it, he even made calculations about the temperature of the flame and the air pressure of the dome etc. and was absolutely stubborn. We increasingly thought that this guy must be crazy and it became more and more eerie.

Then, a few months before the Games, he made a post along the lines of "If you don't believe me, just wait and see. I will be right!" -- which could also be interpreted as if he wanted to burst the roof up himself, just to prove that he was right. And that was obviously the post which called RCMP to action. I believe that a forum member had alarmed them and showed them that post.

Thanks O2004, that's some holy creepy drama there! Hilarious too in a way :D

I've found the post I mentioned -- which was the turning point in all that drama:

http://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/15580-ceremonies-discussion/page__st__220__p__246199#entry246199

You should also read the following comments. There you'll see who finally contacted the RCMP.

hi everyone -

reading this discussion for a while -

came to my own personal conclusion, i'd like to share:

so after looking at 'new' pics on skyscrapercity i had a closer

look on that famous plate outside the main stadium - and thought

to myself > why is there still temporary (building-site) fencing around

that area > and what the hack are they doing under that huge foot-bridge

(coloured area) ???

idea2012.jpg

also:

i think: they didn't really move their original plans for the placement of the cauldron that much -

they just moved it a bit lower - perhaps easier to block and yet still in good view not only

of the spectators but for the whole of the park

(a save yet elegant way > not like the vancouver building site fences around the cauldron <_< )

cheers' everyone

looking forwrad to your thoughts!

:rolleyes:

also:

i think: they didn't really move their original plans for the placement of the cauldron that much -

they just moved it a bit lower - perhaps easier to block and yet still in good view not only

of the spectators but for the whole of the park

(a save yet elegant way > not like the vancouver building site fences around the cauldron <_< )

cheers' everyone

looking forwrad to your thoughts!

:rolleyes:

they lowed it? uhh..... maybe the lowest cauldron in summer olympics???? how low is it?? need more explainations

they lowed it? uhh..... maybe the lowest cauldron in summer olympics???? how low is it?? need more explainations

NO - that square is lower then the actual stadium plaza - but the cauldron will be high - pre assembled elswehre -

and put in place at last minute (with enough time to check if it all works fine) :)

and:

perfect 'photo-spot' for anyone in the olympic park=

you'll get the stadium / the golden meadows / the flame /

the waterways > all on one pic -

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the hint! Are you from Germany by any chance (because of your nickname)?

It really looks like as if there's something going on around that plate. It looks different now. They hadn't a construction fence (if that's what it is -- one can't recognise really) around it before.

In which SSC thread exactly did you find those pictures? I can't find them.

Addendum: Oh, did you (or the one who originally uploaded the picture) surround the plate with a white line? That's why it looks so different. So I don't think we can read anything into that. We'll still have to wait...

hi there! i surrounded it by the white outline - to make it stand out more

and yes i am kind of german -

unfortunately i don't find the link back to the ssc blog ... should be in the stadium-posts -

cheers'

Very possibly, it's being hidden under the larger bridge. But they're going to have to cross-over that little bridge in order to get to the 'so-called' point X??? And if indeed it were that 'lower' site, there's very little solid footing there for workers to assemble it--not unless it'll all be done by cranes on the higher footing? But where are the cranes?

That tight, narrrow space is very problematic to assemble a huge tower. Not saying it can't be done, but they will have to have many OSHA (Occupational, Hazard) overseers there to see that the workers don't hurt themselves. That antique, quaint little bridge will probably get banged up putting the damn thing together.

Nope, I just don't see that spot as being the cauldron location.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Careful with jokes like that. I know you are kidding, but remember TowerGuy/YellowVest and what happended to him.

I'm not a fan of the Orbit either, but I take some comfort it will NOT be the site of the cauldron, just a monument to mayoral ego.

Well, let me say right here and now...this was a joke. I will NOT be in London. I will NOT be carrying the Olympic torch. And I really don't wish the Orbit to be burned down, although I do think it is ugly and does not suit the Olympic Park. If it did in fact hold the Olympic Flame, I'd be the first one to choke. But since it would then look like the world's largest hookah, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

Well, let me say right here and now...this was a joke. I will NOT be in London.

Phew - you don't want M15 sending 007 to crash into your living room!

But since it would then look like the world's largest hookah, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

It's their tribute to Athens. First the joint, and now the bong.

i think that there is a representation of the cauldron on the closing ceremony tickets that i received today - it's bizarre!

Picture?

Someone posted on Twitter. Isnt this similar to the opening ticket design? The trumpet/ stalk design

AwgJNlZCQAEsi00.jpg5Ne5Kd5Mb3k53I13p3c6j9e76f640da361fc2.jpg

Edited by kevzz

I think this design definitely is a clue to some elements of the ceremony. Almost certain it is the cauldron design. So in opening ticket the stems are sparsely arranged and in closing they are bunched together. Is this another 'puzzle' that Boyle mentioned? I have a feeling the cauldron will be made up of multiple elements and assembled together

• Like 1