London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What exactly has been the point of the last 160 pages, then? When did we cross the line into throwing away anything, potentially legitamate, anyone brings up in this thread simply because "it won't ma

The longer I see it "in action", I think that the idea behind the cauldron lighting and the design was extremely clever - but Heatherwick and Company completely failed in realising that the cauldron w

I don't quite understand your reasoning that the 2012 location is showing more people worldwide the cauldron that had it been located elsewhere (ie roofline of stadium etc). The cauldron is always a f

I stumbled across this picture of the stadium's construction in the Wikipedia article about the Olympic Stadium. It was taken in October 2009. Watch it in full size and you'll see in the red circle that already back then, they built a rectangular area right where now that mysterious plate is. Sadly one can't recognise whether they dug a hole there or whether they just fenced off a square on the ground. But I'd say that it's possible that they built the end of the gas pipe there. Or it's just for the drainage (take note of the pipes lying near the bridge north of the stadium).

2h66a7b.jpg

Yeah, and London's preperations in general have been very efficient and streamlined. It'd be so unlike them to have highly classified ceremony information moving around to different Locog departments just for a few people to speculate widely about on the internet. So unnecessary and not worth the trouble.

I think we're really clutching at straws with this "ticket design must be a cauldron design hint!" theory.

So then you believe the ticket design (which bears zero resemblance to any other graphic we've seen from LOCOG) is purely abstract? That would a surprising choice, considering they are the most expensive, highly sought-after tickets of the Games.

A hypothesis is not grasping at straws. It's a reasoned guess. Obviously before we see the ceremonies no one knows what the design on the tickets represents. The fact that we're even having this conversation is evidence that the ticket design hasn't given anything away. It could represent the cauldron. That is not impossible and would be a fun choice that LOCOG could have easily implemented if they chose to take the trouble to quietly liaise between the teams as needed.

Time will tell.

So then you believe the ticket design (which bears zero resemblance to any other graphic we've seen from LOCOG) is purely abstract? That would a surprising choice, considering they are the most expensive, highly sought-after tickets of the Games.

A hypothesis is not grasping at straws. It's a reasoned guess. Obviously before we see the ceremonies no one knows what the design on the tickets represents. The fact that we're even having this conversation is evidence that the ticket design hasn't given anything away. It could represent the cauldron. That is not impossible and would be a fun choice that LOCOG could have easily implemented if they chose to take the trouble to quietly liaise between the teams as needed.

Time will tell.

Totally agree. Wouldn't think why LOCOG who use a random, non-relevant image on the most high profile ticket design. Plus, if it's really related to the cauldron, the ticket holders will find it more memorable and collectible after that because it contains the highlight of the show.

Or it's just for the drainage (take note of the pipes lying near the bridge north of the stadium).

But why would they need drainage/ manhole on that piece of no-man's land?

Another interesting picture, taken in July 2009. The rectangular area seems to be even bigger there. Watch it in full

Wow that's quite a revelation. Seems like the only hole of its kind around the stadium. Are we nearly there finally? If there's any activity going on the plate in the next few days to come, then it's almost safe to say that's the cauldron location.

I think the cauldron's location has been identified. I am kinda sorry about that but have to say that I applaud the organisers for keeping it a secret for this long. We now have to find out how it will emerge and what it will look like. So exciting.

Edited by Lee

I think the cauldron's location has been identified. I am kinda sorry about that but have to say that I applaud the organisers for keeping it a secret for this long. We now have to find out how it will emerge and what it will look like. So exciting.

I like the sound of it :) Can we declare ourselves as the first online community to crack the cauldron location first? ;)

We just need one last evidence, one single latest pic that shows something going up or someone is working on that plate!

I'm also curious to find out how that quaint bridge is utilised, whether it has anything to do with the cauldron lighting or it's design. And will public be allowed to cross that bridge onto that patch of land (which I highly doubt so)?

Edited by kevzz

Another interesting picture, taken in July 2009. The rectangular area seems to be even bigger there. Watch it in full resolution.

(Source: http://www.flickr.co...wis/3726791224/)

3726791224_4436172bea_o.jpg

Which one? The lowest one with the blue pilings? I see at least FOUR areas there where they are doing some digging. That (blue) one is quite distant compared to the one on the mid-upper right with the yellow & white trucks & what looks like an orange cubicle. So, the one really just a doorstep away from the stadium periphery and on that triangular area jutting out.

That one in the lowest part of the photo just looks like a drainage exhaust pipe to me.

Or is it that spot on the EXTREME lower right where there looks like the foundation of two white, square pillars and then there is that white concrete or steel box waiting to fit over those 2 pillar legs?

That picture doesn't really give away anything because it was taken before Boyle, and then later, Heatherwick, were engaged to do the Ceremonies. Heatherwick may have decided that that is not the spot where he wants to root the cauldron, if indeed it is the spot.

OK; scratch that. DarJoLe just said on SSC that that box is where radioactive waste was buried. ANd indeed that's what that upturned box, probably one lined with lead, appears to be. But then again, why would they bury the radioactive waste on the water level? Did anyone think 'seepage'? Wouldn't that be totally moronic??

Also, doesn't this photo pre-date the time when the projected gas lines were laid out?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

OK; scratch that. DarJoLe just said on SSC that that box is where radioactive waste was buried. ANd indeed that's what that upturned box, probably one lined with lead is. But then again, why would they bury the radioactive waste on the water level? Wouldn't that be totally moronic??

Baron, I meant the almost square hole just a little bit above the area with the blue pilings.

And I suppose DarJoLe was joking.

I really don't know that that's the cauldron spot. It looks more like beginnings of a sewage depot to me. Its level lower than the stadium's main level and the white marker box that we see today also indicate that to me...a marker for the stadium's sewage depot reservoir.

But then again, as I said, if this is going to be an organic effort, then the human sewage depot + the performing animals' dung = the cauldron's fuel? :wacko:

Get me outta here. Am glad I'm not anywhere near that site nor under the shadow of the cauldron!!!

Other photos, please...

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Why would there be radioactive waste dumping ground right next to the stadium?? That's the most absurd thing I've heard. I think darjole is trying to lure us from obviously correctly guessed the cauldron location.

Why would there be radioactive waste dumping ground right next to the stadium?? That's the most absurd thing I've heard. I think darjole is trying to lure us from obviously correctly guessed the cauldron location.

I think it's close by but that's NOT the cauldron spot. That's a septic tank location.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Time will tell.

I just think it's more likely that the design team meant to evoke the grand, celebratory, and ceremonial nature of the OC through an abstract design reminiscent of fireworks and trumpet fanfare than Boyle and his team sharing the cauldron design with people who don't really need to know. That seems more reasonable to me, but yes, time will tell.

I think darjole is trying to lure us from obviously correctly guessed the cauldron location.

Are they part of LOCOG?

Bar the rather early date of that photograph and the possibility of it being an area for waste, that dug out square seems like a good lead on the cauldron's location... interesting.

Like I said, time will tell about the ticket/cauldron relationship or lack thereof. You could be right.

I'm not convinced that lower hole is the cauldron location. It seems a bit far away from the stadium. The cauldron would have to be VERY tall to be visible from inside the stadium. I agree with Baron that it's in the general area, but I'm not certain about that precise spot.

And will public be allowed to cross that bridge onto that patch of land (which I highly doubt so)?

Either end of that small pedestrian bridge is fenced off with gates to limit access. At least for now.

Picture?

Someone posted on Twitter. Isnt this similar to the opening ticket design? The trumpet/ stalk design

AwgJNlZCQAEsi00.jpg5Ne5Kd5Mb3k53I13p3c6j9e76f640da361fc2.jpg

If there is a multiple cauldron it would the due to the 30th Olympiad? May be one little cauldron for each Olympiad forming a cauldron complex???

If there is a multiple cauldron it would the due to the 30th Olympiad? May be one little cauldron for each Olympiad forming a cauldron complex???
what ??? never see that happening before.... cauldron all over the stadium will not happen here... i don't see any area for that..

It may very well be the orbit

I agree I don't know how the orbit would work well as a cauldron, but the new BBC Aerial Photos of the Orbit roof, suggest otherwise.

cauldron2.png

Look at the massive void/hole and how much piping hardware is around it.

It is all but confirmed, at least for me, this is where the cauldron will emerge

It may very well be the orbit I agree I don't know how the orbit would work well as a cauldron, but the new BBC Aerial Photos of the Orbit roof, suggest otherwise. cauldron2.png Look at the massive void/hole and how much piping hardware is around it. It is all but confirmed, at least for me, this is where the cauldron will emerge
uh oh.... how people in the stadium see the flame???