London 2012 Olympic Cauldron...

They can't just put up a tall tower outside the stadium in a matter of days.

I've been saying this all along, you need a to dig out and pour a concrete foundation for something like that. With less than 20 days before they should begin testing the cauldron, there just isn't any time. Torino's took over a month to build. London has less time than that and their cauldron would still need to be taller than Torino's in order to be seen above the stadium's tall floodlights.

It's gotten to the point where one can reasonably and confidently say that a Torino-esque cauldron tower isn't going to happen.

True. A massive tower is unrealistic now. The only thing I deemed possible (due to the size of that plate north of the stadium) until now was a thin needle which wouldn't need that much of a foundation. But I have to say that Baron is probably right that the plate just covers some sort of water or sewage reservoir. And a thin needle would probably not be very visible and impressive.

But: This starts the big mystery all over again. We have gone through so many different scenarios now that we're completely stuck.

True. A massive tower is unrealistic now. The only thing I deemed possible (due to the size of that plate north of the stadium) until now was a thin needle which wouldn't need that much of a foundation. But I have to say that Baron is probably right that the plate just covers some sort of water or sewage reservoir.

I love this game! Strange that a sewage reservoir would be built on a perfect axis from the Olympic Stadium FOP. The good news is that we can all disagree, and possibly all be proved wrong at midnight 22 days from now...

If no new tower appears by the 20th, and there is still more construction at the top of the Orbital, then I am willing to concede that it may very well just be an adjunct to the (top of the) Orbital. So LOCOG's hand was forced by what is already there, with an inordinate use of steel.

I mean if they didn't use it, and one of the Opening Ceremony's themes is disregard for the environment and the havoc (and success) it has wrought on the land, I think building another tower at about the same height of the Orbital is anathema to what Boyle (and by extension, LOCOG) is trying to impart to the world via the Ceremony. Or are the themes of the OC just for show, and not validated by deeds? Just putting up another tower some 30 meters away from the Orbital would really solicit comments of "Was it really necessary, etc.?" when there is already all that extravagant use of steel there a hop, skip & a jump away?

What I'm saying is, will LOCOG's actions match their words? Thus, as the time gets closer, and nothing else is coming up, perhaps it could be the Orbital. Still not fully convinced yet, but it should not be dismissed.

(Even my spy within Boyle's team refuses to drop me a broad hint!! :( )

Edited by baron-pierreIV

LC.jpgf.jpg

I definitely think the ticket graphic is the couldron, I made this a while ago and I have another one I think could be more fesable that I'll post later.

Has the "bell" been revealed???

Edited by paul
  • Like 2

^^^What is that?

It isn't going to be on the Orbit. Here's why...the Orbit was designed by Kapoor as 'art'. Heatherwick, too, is an artist. You don't take a Picasso and stick it on a Matisse and then set fire to it, do you? Unless they collaborated, this is not going to happen.

• Like 1

1. Health and safety (people in a metal cage with a huge flame nearby)

2. Artistic integrity (a Heatherwick on a Kapoor, nope)

3. Visibility (the loops will get in the way from many angles unless you're going to put something huge on top and I can't imagine that looking any good)

4. The guy who runs the Orbit says there are no gas lines running up it

5. The fact that the square at the top is to let light in, not a foundation for anything (and even if it were possible to build a cauldron there, people paying to go up the Orbit wouldn't be able to see it)

6. The Oribt is not LOCOG's creation and they do not manage it; they are simply selling tickets for it during the Games - why would they let Boris' structure take all their credit?

But we've gone over all of these points many times and some people still seem to think the Orbit would work. So I doubt my listing them all again will change any minds.

Paul, erecting ONE stalk overnight is cutting it close, what more a dozen? :blink: How do you control the flow of gas for a dozen cauldrons? :wacko:

And the IOC would never sanction such a waste of resources--let alone such an idea goes totally AGAINST the 'respect for the environment' theme of the OC.

Could the flame & cauldron be a hologram in the stadium?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1. Health and safety (people in a metal cage with a huge flame nearby)

2. Artistic integrity (a Heatherwick on a Kapoor, nope)

3. Visibility (the loops will get in the way from many angles unless you're going to put something huge on top and I can't imagine that looking any good)

4. The guy who runs the Orbit says there are no gas lines running up it

5. The fact that the square at the top is to let light in, not a foundation for anything (and even if it were possible to build a cauldron there, people paying to go up the Orbit wouldn't be able to see it)

6. The Oribt is not LOCOG's creation and they do not manage it; they are simply selling tickets for it during the Games - why would they let Boris' structure take all their credit?

But we've gone over all of these points many times and some people still seem to think the Orbit would work. So I doubt my listing them all again will change any minds.

I'm out of positive votes, but I TOTALLY agree with the above.

Just because we can't imagine a solution for a cauldron with some height doesn't mean it isn't possible. LOCOG has CLEARLY worked very hard on the cauldron (the level of secrecy alone is evidence of that). Whatever they do has been carefully planned for years. It must involve extensive modular construction off-site. I suspect many of us will be surprised by the outcome and several of us may have to eat our words and acknowledge that our emphatic statements about what is "impossible" we're in fact inaccurate.

I will humbly admit I was totally wrong if that flame ends up burning atop the Orbit throughout the Games. But at this point I am as convinced as I can be that the cauldron is NOT on that hideous tower.

LC.jpgf.jpg

I definitely think the ticket graphic is the couldron, I made this a while ago and I have another one I think could be more fesable that I'll post later.

This is very much what I imagined when I saw the tickets, but perhaps with a more asymmetrical composition. Have to wait and see.

It's not the same at all. It's vaguely reminiscent and intellectual property issues are notoriously difficult to prove. I can imagine Heatherwick coming up with a distant cousin of that concept all on his own without ever having seen that design.

Finally, a breakthrough!! Here's how it was shot a few weeks ago via special high-resolution night-vision lenses.

7384308626_2f42472dd9_b.jpg

It's been there all the time. But it is so well camoflaugued that until they stripdown the very secret CIA-M Section coating, no one can see it during the daylight hours! People have been looking in the wrong places!

LC.jpgf.jpg

Yes, but in the model revealed by Boyle, not real scale. It is at the top of one of the entrance of the stadium at the bottom of the sits. Surely it will be the entrance for the parade!

To throw people off. Viewers will think the design was for Beijing; but it's really today, in 2012. ;)

It's in Beijing. Totally confirmed you still don't learn to read! :wacko:

what r u talking about, Nacho? They've never revealed anything at all like those mulitple trumpets? That's like Lighting a DOZEN b-day candles instead of a giant one.

I was refering to the "bell" not the trumpets! >(?)

It's in Beijing. Totally confirmed you still don't learn to read! :wacko:

Yes, Nacho, I KNOW it's from Beijing. I just thought it fit the "ticket design" providing a DEFINITE cauldron clue theory perfectly. I mean those "trumpet-like" designs couldn't be more matching -- except it's for the WRONG city.

I was refering to the "bell" not the trumpets! >(?)

The bell, I believe, is going to ring only in the beginning (to wake up that "fictional Brigadoon of an English village"); and at some point in the evening, they are going to roll it away. U can't have that thing ringing all night. It's going to be a boring, irritating show if that were the case. How many times do you hear church bells ring before they get on your nerves??

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The bell, I believe, is going to ring only in the beginning (to wake up that "fictional Brigadoon of an English village"); and at some point in the evening, they are going to roll it away. U can't have that thing ringing all night.

The bell weighs 27 tonnes; I think it will stay put throughout the Ceremony although it's not going to ring throughout. I was a little surprised by it; I'd expected the bell to gleam in brass but it's got a dark matte finish.

The bell weighs 27 tonnes; I think it will stay put throughout the Ceremony although it's not going to ring throughout. I was a little surprised by it; I'd expected the bell to gleam in brass but it's got a dark matte finish.

Yes, Nacho, I KNOW it's from Beijing. I just thought it fit the "ticket design" providing a DEFINITE cauldron clue theory perfectly. I mean those "trumpet-like" designs couldn't be more matching -- except it's for the WRONG city.

The bell, I believe, is going to ring only in the beginning (to wake up that "fictional Brigadoon of an English village"); and at some point in the evening, they are going to roll it away. U can't have that thing ringing all night. It's going to be a boring, irritating show if that were the case. How many times do you hear church bells ring before they get on your nerves??

Jjajajaja you're right!!! Remember for royal wedding last year they rang with no cease!!!