Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

They better get it right because if not there's just that one-lane (each way) road running by the seaside (if you can picture a Monte Carlo-type road cut out from a cliff by the sea...) that will connect Barra and Copa, Ipanema, downtown Rio -- it's going to be hell getting there and back.

And then that Alvorado Bus Depot where you have to change from the end of the subway line to take the other remaining, express bus route to Olympic Park, the BRT-10, was still so dusty and chaotic!! Even though the remainder of the ride from Alvorado to Barra Olympic Park is only 2 stops and 10 minutes away, it didn't look like that Bus Depot was anywhere ready for the job it is set out for.

Sorry, then. It's just that I seriously had it with the other shitposter on this forum who loves to state the obvious (and for some reason he's not banned yet. Seriously where are the mods when you need them).

Interesting. Oh, not the BRT stuff. That's depressing. But I love seeing that French news sites can be as trashy as American.

The best story seems to be on "The Mud Day de Nice." I'm not exactly sure what it's all about, but I found some youtube videos and it looks darn cool. Forget adding crap like billiards, surfing and squash to the Olympics. This is the kind of thing they should add!

Yes, it seems it was much closer in London...espacially in the turn

vue-aerienne-du-stade-olympique-le-7-aou

I hadn't thought of the sheer size. My goodness, 140 metres from front row to front row across the centre line.

(In the Engenhão that is, not London.)

Looking at these pictures, it makes me change my mind about the field an tracks stadium to be chosen for LA 2024.....(I initially thought it would be better in the Coliseum than in the new NFL stadium)

Engenhão stadium dimensions (from front row to front row) are about 140m x 200m.

If we look at London stadium, I would say it is about 130m x 190m.

So, Ive tried to put such a surface inside the Coliseum:

154569.jpg?1463509576

In black, it is the useful surface (a110m x 180m oval)

In red, it is the limit of first raw ( about 130m wide). It would then give a distance of about 230 m for the length => about 25 m from first raw to the track.

I think the reason for that is that modern F&T are wider than what they used to be (jump tracks were inside the run tracks and they are now outside).

So, my feeling is that such a configuration would not be optimum and it could be easier to design the F&T from scratch in the future NFL stadium.

In black, it is the useful surface (a110m x 180m oval)

In red, it is the limit of first raw ( about 130m wide). It would then give a distance of about 230 m for the length => about 25 m from first raw to the track.

I think the reason for that is that modern F&T are wider than what they used to be (jump tracks were inside the run tracks and they are now outside).

So, my feeling is that such a configuration would not be optimum and it could be easier to design the F&T from scratch in the future NFL stadium.

For reference, here is the Coliseum during the `84 Olympics for track & field..

7768086510_d6bdb05214_b.jpg

And here's Atlanta. Notice that similar to LA, the jumping pits are inside the track rather than outside..

aerial2.jpg

So that's how they can save some space. But if you're hoping that the new NFL stadium will have any provisions for an athletics track, don't hold your breath. Don't see any way that happens.