Rio 2016 Preparations - Venue & Infrastructure Developments

Not wanting to be a jerk and start a topic based off a negative news article, but it seems like things are getting off to a pretty slow start. What is true, and what is not true in this article? Did Brazil over promise for 2014 and 2016? Will these major projects be ready in time? Please read the whole article before you carelessly respond. I want Rio to succeed in hosting the 2016 Games, and I think they will. I just hope they don't take a road similar to Athens where things are put off until the last minute...

Here is a lengthy article from Reuters:

Brazil's Olympic push isn't winning any medals

Corruption, insufficient funds, glaring lack of leadership jeopardize big plans

By Brian Winter

3/28/2011

110328-maracana-stadium-130p.grid-6x2.jpg

SAO PAULO — It's 8 p.m. at Sao Paulo's sublimely overcrowded international airport and Marvin Curie, seeing all the chairs around him taken, decides to join dozens of other business travelers and sit on the floor.

Until, that is, a coffee-colored mystery liquid starts to seep out of a nearby men's room.

"Oh, Jesus!" Curie exclaims, scrambling to his feet. He checks the seat of his suit pants for stains — nothing.

"I hate this place," sighs the U.S. pharmaceutical executive, gesturing at the peeling paint, the flickering fluorescent lights and, above all, the crowds. "You'd think that a country like Brazil would have fixed this by now."

Indeed, scenes like this are supposed to become a thing of the past here. Brazil plans more than $1 trillion in construction projects this decade to bring its woeful airports, roads and other infrastructure up to date — an ambitious building boom that will prepare the country to host the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics, provide a bonanza of opportunities for foreign investors, and secure Brazil's place among the world's most dynamic emerging economies.

That's the dream, anyway.

In reality, expectations are coming unraveled — fast. Brazil's grand infrastructure plans now seem likely to fall well short of President Dilma Rousseff's ambitions, according to a Reuters investigation of major building projects and interviews with nearly two dozen senior political leaders, investors, government watchdog groups and others.

Even Rousseff's top aides are starting to voice doubts.

"We need to begin to control people's expectations," said Sports Minister Orlando Silva, who is overseeing preparations for the World Cup and Olympics. "The idea that we were going to make up for 30 years without investment in infrastructure in just four years was probably never realistic."

Numerous high-profile projects are falling victim to a long list of problems including endemic corruption, red tape, insufficient funds and — above all — a glaring lack of leadership and know-how.

Advertise | AdChoices

By some independent estimates, fewer than half of the major projects planned nationwide will be done on time.

Unless Rousseff and other officials act quickly to overcome the obstacles, investors may need to rethink some of their rosier long-term economic forecasts for Brazil. The delays also raise questions about whether expectations are too high for emerging market democracies generally, including India, South Africa and others, as they try to keep pace with demand from their booming middle classes but lack China's ability to implement rapid, authoritarian solutions.

So many big projects are currently behind schedule that Pele, the Brazilian soccer legend, warned in February that Brazil risks "embarrassing itself" during the World Cup.

The stadium that would host the tournament's opening match in Sao Paulo hasn't even had its groundbreaking yet, resulting in a public spat with FIFA, the world soccer body. But that's merely the most visible problem. Pele and others say that road and air traffic, communications grids and other systems could simply collapse under the weight of extra demand during the Cup unless progress is made at a pace that Brazil has, so far, not shown it's capable of.

Silva hears the warnings, and he's concerned. The lone cabinet member from Brazil's Communist Party has found himself in the unlikely position of being one of the nation's biggest cheerleaders for private investment, barnstorming the country and meeting with governors and mayors in a furious last-minute effort to untangle the legal and regulatory issues — and, often, the mental blocks — that are preventing progress.

It's not going all that well.

Read Full Article

We won't expect to see a Beijing on the non-hillside slums of Rio (at the north of the city), but the Maracana Stadium is getting its seating bowl torn out for a brand-new one (for the WC 2014), the metro line that will link Barra Cluster (located at Rio´s west zone - heart of the games) to the south zone is under construction), 2 BRT lines (linking Barra to the international airport and to Deodoro cluster) are under construction, the park that will host Rock in Rio festival is being built, the works for the new Sambodromo stands will start next month, and the design of the venues of the Barra Olympic Park is under international contest.

Not wanting to be a jerk and start a topic based off a negative news article, but it seems like things are getting off to a pretty slow start. What is true, and what is not true in this article? Did Brazil over promise for 2014 and 2016? Will these major projects be ready in time? Please read the whole article before you carelessly respond. I want Rio to succeed in hosting the 2016 Games, and I think they will. I just hope they don't take a road similar to Athens where things are put off until the last minute...

Here is a lengthy article from Reuters:

The guy who wrote that did not check the facts. For 2014, there are risks manly of airport upgrade delays and of 2 stadia (Natal and SP). So, just by replacing SP by another host city for football, 2016 would not be a problem. Here is a list of the projects.

I think it would be nice to summarize what Rio has done so far. Here are the most important actions that I have seen taken to deliver what was promised. If you know more actions, feel free to add to the list:

Transports:

-> BRT Transcarioca (called T5 in the bid book) -> Targeted for 4Q13

- 1st section (Barra - Penha)

- Demolitions being finalized.

- Construction has started.

-> 2nd section (Penha - Rio Intl Airport)

- Project finalized

- Tender published

-> BRT Transoeste (covers part of the former Barra-Zona Sul BRT) -> Targeted for 3Q12

- Construction under way.

- Main bridges to avoid intersection to be delivered in 1Q11.

-> BRT Transolimpica (called C-Link in the bid book) -> Targeted for 2015

- Project finalized.

- Tender to be published.

-> Subway Line 4 (Barra- Gávea, covers part of the former Barra- Zona Sul BRT) -> Targeted for 2015

- Under construction

-> Subway Line 1 (Ipanema- Gávea, covers part of the former Barra- Zona Sul BRT) -> Targeted for 2015

- Studies to define the path are finished.

- Tender in preparation.

-> Duplication of Avenida Niemeyer

- Not started.

-> Renovation of the surroundings of the JH Stadium.

- Removed houses have been notified for the demolition to start.

Venues:

-> Maracanã refurbishment -> Targeted for 4Q2012

- Demolition of the lower ring is finalized.

- Demolition of part of the upper ring is under way.

- Issue: Ceiling will need to be rebuilt.

- Constructions to begin between 2Q11 and 3Q11.

-> OTC and Olympic park construction (includes Aquatic Center, Field Hokey Center, Tennis Center, the OTC 4 halls, the MPC and the IBC)

- International competition to design the facilities was launched.

- The new auto-racing track project is being finalized. (A requirement for the start of the OTC construction is that the current racing track is replaced ny a new one).

-> Riocentro Hall 6 construction

- No news

-> Athletes park construction

- Under construction to host RockInRio in September 2011.

-> X Park construction

- No news

-> JH Stadium upgrade -> Targeted for 3Q2015

- Planned to start on 2013 after the delivery of Maracanã.

Accommodation:

-> Olympic Village

- Construction started

-> Media Village (Barra)

- No news

-> Media Village (Port)

- International competition for the design launched.

-> Hotels

- Several hotel groups have initiated projects in the city, including Accor and Hilton.

- 2 major hotels are being restored (Gloria and Hotel Nacional)

- Former Méridien hotel has been reopened.

- Several hotel groups are in the process of acquiring land to build new hotels, including Hyatt and Four Seasons.

- Expectation now is to reach 34.000 hotel rooms by 2016, instead of the 28.000 proposed in the bid book.

-> Port

- No news if the renovations of the docks was inside the tender for the Port District PPP.

Urbanization:

-> PPP was assigned to carry the renovation of the Port District, including the creation of new Light Rail lines, expansion of the road network and the demolition of a highway to be replaced by an underground tunnel. => Works are under way.

It's clear for me that the World Cup preparations will be a real mess, since the preparations for the olympics are ways more organized and in-time.

The scenes of overcrowded problems in Sao Paulo-International Airport should be not taken as a whole-Brazil problem.

For example, the International Airport of Belo Horizonte and Rio are pretty empty all day long... And this is due the stupid policy of the airliners to choose Sao Paulo as main hub for everything, even for flights of other South American countries, like Paraguay and Uruguay.

Thankfully, they decided to share these flights between SP, Rio and Brasilia and this problem of overcrowded Sao Paulo Airport must get better in a quick time.

But this generaliztion of "How I hate the whole Brazil because of one problem" is one thing I hate in the International media...

Thanks for the updates. Maybe you guys can post pictures and info from time to time to let us know how things are progressing.

I am not living in Rio, but I have been there for Carnival. I don't have pictures of the construction site, but I have passed by some of them during my stay.

The Barra subway station construction and the tunnel excavation is totally visible. The construction of BRT Transoeste is also advanced. I could see personally the elevated passage being built close to the OV site, the tunnel to link Recreio to Guaratiba and the widening of Av. das Americas to open the space for the BRT dedicated lanes.

I have also passed in front of Maracanã and it really looked like in ruins to me. The demolition is well under way and it looked sad to see that wonderful stadium in such a state. At least, I am positive about the results of this renovation.

By the way, I have been to JH stadium for the semifinals of the Guanabara Cup (first leg of the Rio state championship). It desperately needs that new access from Linha Amarela high way. Currently the routes to arrive and leave the stadium by car are dreadfull.

It's clear for me that the World Cup preparations will be a real mess, since the preparations for the olympics are ways more organized and in-time.

The scenes of overcrowded problems in Sao Paulo-International Airport should be not taken as a whole-Brazil problem.

For example, the International Airport of Belo Horizonte and Rio are pretty empty all day long... And this is due the stupid policy of the airliners to choose Sao Paulo as main hub for everything, even for flights of other South American countries, like Paraguay and Uruguay.

Thankfully, they decided to share these flights between SP, Rio and Brasilia and this problem of overcrowded Sao Paulo Airport must get better in a quick time.

But this generaliztion of "How I hate the whole Brazil because of one problem" is one thing I hate in the International media...

Sorry, my dear, but Belo Horizonte's International Airport (Confins) is not pretty empty all day long. Confins Int'l Airport already operates in the maximum capacity. Pampulha domestic airport that operates just regional flights, will be expanded to receive some flights from São Paulo, Rio and Brasília. Now Confins Int'l will be expanded but will not be enough, 'cause of this they will use both airports during the World Cup.

Sorry, my dear, but Belo Horizonte's International Airport (Confins) is not pretty empty all day long. Confins Int'l Airport already operates in the maximum capacity. Pampulha domestic airport that operates just regional flights, will be expanded to receive some flights from São Paulo, Rio and Brasília. Now Confins Int'l will be expanded but will not be enough, 'cause of this they will use both airports during the World Cup.

Good to know. Thanks for the update. Confins was known for being an empty airport for years...

About the expansions, IMHO, Confins should be the Main Hub for domestic flight dues its localization. It'd be perfect, but, of course, for this the airport should be much more bigger.

Let's hope President Rousseff starts the private-partnership for airports as soon as possible, because if we wait Infraero to work, the world cup will be a shame about airports, as Pele pointed.

Good to know. Thanks for the update. Confins was known for being an empty airport for years...

About the expansions, IMHO, Confins should be the Main Hub for domestic flight dues its localization. It'd be perfect, but, of course, for this the airport should be much more bigger.

Let's hope President Rousseff starts the private-partnership for airports as soon as possible, because if we wait Infraero to work, the world cup will be a shame about airports, as Pele pointed.

During years, Confins was empty 'cause all the flights just operated at Pampulha's domestic airport. Pampulha is a small airport, but the flights were there 'cause is close to BH downtown (just 10 km) and Confins was empty 'cause was too far from the downtown. Actually Confins is situated 40 km from BH. In 2007 the State of Minas built the Linha Verde, a express highway to connect the downtown to Confins and they transfered all the flights from Pampulha to Confins Int'l. Until last year, Pampulha just operated regional flights to the inland the State, now, Pampulha will be remodeled to expand the capacity to receive flights from Brasília, Rio and São Paulo, and also will keep the regional flights. And Confins will keep operating the international flights and also the intracontinetal flights (to the northeast, north, centralwest and south).

et Nicklaus design Olympic course

Wed Mar 23 05:13AM

You would get pretty excited as a golf fan if a tournament came down to the wire with these names in the mix: Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Nick Faldo, Seve Ballesteros and Greg Norman.

Well that is exactly what is happening in the bid to design the Olympic golf course for Rio de Janeiro in 2016, when golf will return to the Games for the first time since 1904.

All those greats have put their hat in the mix but it is hard to look past the Golden Bear as the man to design the course, which is expected to be a brand new development built in the Barra da Tijuca neighbourhood of Rio, where most sports will be played during the Olympics.

For a start, the man has designed more courses than he has won tournaments, and in case you have forgotten, he's won a lot of tournaments - 116 professional titles during his career to be exact.

When it comes to designing courses though he has been even more prolific; he has been involved directly in the design of an astonishing 271 course, while his company - Nicklaus Design - has 341 courses open for play in 34 countries.

Just this month he confirmed that he was teaming up with Annika Sorenstam to help him in his bid to design the Olympic course, with the Swede prepared to set the tees for the women's event.

Nicklaus has also insisted that the course must be open to the public once the Games are finished. Rio is a city with a population of over six million people yet it is doesn't have a single 18-hole golf course open to the public.

So IOC, you have arguably the greatest men's player and arguably the greatest women's player in the history of the game banging on your door asking to design the Olympic course so there must be a catch right? They probably want a lot of money?

Wrong, in fact Nicklaus and Sorenstam are willing to design the course for free.

"Neither of them is seeking compensation. Jack and Annika made that very clear in their first correspondence last year to the governing bodies," Nicklaus's VP of Communications Scott Tolley told Golf Digest's Geoff Shackelford.

"Jack and Annika simply want to make sure that the competitive needs of both the men and women are taken care of...and that golf has the opportunity in 2016 to put its best foot forward."

• 3 weeks later...

Rio launches competition to choose Olympic Park project

RIO DE JANEIRO, April 25 (Xinhua) -- Rio's government launched on Monday an international competition to choose the project of the Olympic Park for the 2016 Games.

The area will host several sports facilities of the Olympic Games; 15 different competitions will be held at the Park. Some of the facilities will be permanent and others might be used for other purposes after the Olympics.

According to Rio's Economic Development Secretary, Felipe Goes, the projects will have to take into consideration the existing facilities built for the 2007 Pan-American Games, such as the Maria Lenk Aqua Park and the basketball arena. Rio's race track, however, will be demolished.

Goes also stressed that the environmental aspects of the project will be taken into consideration, such as the low water and energy use and the preservation of nearby lagoons.

"The chosen project must consider environmental concerns and avoid unnecessary governmental expenditures," he said.

Companies will have to present the projects by the end of June. The winning project will be known by mid-July.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/sports/2011-04/26/c_13846205.htm

• 3 months later...

The Referee's Village is already done.

It will be the same used during the World Military Games.

Here some footage of "The Green Village" (the name is because the complex was built accoring to 32 rules of environmental protection - 9 more the IOC requirements)

http://video.globo.com/Videos/Player/Esportes/0,,GIM1583472-7824-JOGOS+MUNDIAIS+MILITARES+DEIXAM+LEGADO+PARA+AS+OLIMPIADAS+DO+RIO,00.html

What do you mean "already done"? Will these sit empty for 5 years until the 2016 refs arrive? Whether they are sold or rented, surely, they cannot ask residents to move out for 3/4 weeks during the 2016 Games & Paralympics? :blink:

Sicne it is residences for the military they can actually kick them out for a short period. BTW, this is not going to be THE referee's village, but one of them. There is at least another one in the Port.

Sicne it is residences for the military they can actually kick them out for a short period. BTW, this is not going to be THE referee's village, but one of them. There is at least another one in the Port.

Oh OK. That makes a little more sense then. Really couldn't figure out how this Village idea would work for something 5 years down the road yet.

Sorry for the incomplete information.

Also, Cidade do Rock Olympic Park is also done and will be delivered satuday.

The place will be used for Rock in Rio festival in 2011, 13, 15, also for events and music shows 'til 2016, when the Park will be the Athlete's Park.

x_4967.jpg

Rio 2016 presents its progress report

The Organising Committee for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games today (Friday, August 5) reached the five years to go to the Opening Ceremony milestone recapping the path that led the city to win the election to host the Games, and outlining the positive changes the preparations are already driving forward. Rio 2016 president, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, presented a progress report at the City Palace, Rio de Janeiro, during an event attended by civil society representatives, sport personalities, businesspeople and authorities.

The Rio 2016 president explained the Organising Committee setup and thanked the compliments received by his team from partners such as the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the London 2012 Organising Committee (LOCOG). The completion of the Games Foundation Plan and the Olympic Games emblem unveiling, the signing of the first four domestic sponsorship deals and the launch of the Pre-Games Training Camps Registration and Selection Process were some of the other milestones mentioned.

Nuzman also stressed that renovation of sporting venues has started, alluding to the Maracana Stadium and the Sambodromo, and that improvements in security already benefit some 300,000 people in 18 communities. Furthermore, he described the intangible gains arising from the Games: an increased debate on sustainability and accessibility, growing sport participation, the heightened touristic status of Rio de Janeiro and Brazil, the rediscovery and recognition of the country’s culture, and the Brazilians’ rising self-esteem.

Coming up next, Municipal Olympic Company executive director, Bernardo Carvalho, presented the progress of infrastructure works currently underway in the city of Rio de Janeiro. Carvalho offered an overview of how works are developing at the Athletes’ Village Park (to be opened this Saturday, August 6), the BRTs (Bus Rapid Transit) Transoeste and Transcarioca, the Port Area, the Jacarepagua lagoons, the urbanisation programme Morar Carioca and the implementation of Experimental Olympic Schools.

In a speech after the presentation Mayor Eduardo Paes highlighted the importance of the Olympic Games in raising cariocas’ (natives of Rio) and Brazilians’ self-esteem.

“The Olympic Games means an opportunity to build a new future for Rio de Janeiro and Brazil. It is time to take a step forward, time to show that cariocas can set targets and meet them. Five years out of the Games, we are one year ahead of schedule.”

http://www.rio2016.org/en/rio-2016-now/rio-2016-presents-its-progress-report

More on Athletes' Park:

Nice footage made by TV Globo's local newscast (also, nice studio for the news, I can tell you!!!) :D

http://video.globo.com/Videos/Player/Noticias/0,,GIM1588634-7823-PARQUE+DOS+ATLETAS+E+INAUGURADO+NO+RIO,00.html

Well, I will update with the developments so far from my previous list.

Transports:

-> BRT Transcarioca (called T5 in the bid book) -> Targeted for 4Q13

- 1st section (Barra - Penha)

- Construction on-going. Main sites are in Campinho, Barra da Tijuca and Madureira where underground roads and highways are being built.

-> 2nd section (Penha - Rio Intl Airport)

- Demolistions have started

-> BRT Transoeste (covers part of the former Barra-Zona Sul BRT) -> Targeted for 3Q12

- Construction under way.

- Main bridge over Av. Salvador Allende has been completed.

- Bridge over Canal do Rio Morto underway

- Grota Funda tunnel has been fully excavated.

- Duplication of Av. das Américas in Guaratiba and Recreio is advanced.

- Some of the stations are under construction.

-> BRT Transolimpica (called C-Link in the bid book) -> Targeted for 2015

- Project finalized.

- Tender published.

-> Subway Line 4 (Barra- Gávea, covers part of the former Barra- Zona Sul BRT) -> Targeted for 2015

- Under construction.

- More than 1km of tunnels has been excavated from Barra to São Conrado (entrance of the tunnel is visible in Barra).

- Jardim Oceânico station in Barra is under construction.

- São Conrado station has been started together with the excavation of the tunnel to Gávea should start soon.

-> Subway Line 1 (Ipanema- Gávea, covers part of the former Barra- Zona Sul BRT) -> Targeted for 2015

- Construction underway.

- Service tunnel is being excavated to create a 2nd platform in General Osório station in Ipanema.

- Excavations for the line will start in 2013, after a TBM is installed on site.

- The other stations will be built in parallel.

-> Duplication of Avenida Niemeyer

- Not started.

-> Renovation of the surroundings of the JH Stadium.

- Demolitions on-going.

Venues:

-> Maracanã refurbishment -> Targeted for 4Q2012

- Demolition of both rings finalized.

- Demolition of the ceiling is advanced.

- Foundations of the lower ring and the external entrances have been installed.

-> OTC and Olympic park construction (includes Aquatic Center, Field Hokey Center, Tennis Center, the OTC 4 halls, the MPC and the IBC)

- International competition to design the facilities was launched. REsult should be published this month.

- The new auto-racing track project is being finalized. (A requirement for the start of the OTC construction is that the current racing track is replaced by a new one).

-> Riocentro Hall 6 construction

- No news

-> Athletes park construction

- Opened this weekend.

-> X Park construction

- No news

-> JH Stadium upgrade -> Targeted for 3Q2015

- Planned to start on 2013 after the delivery of Maracanã.

Accommodation:

-> Olympic Village

- Construction started.

- The land is being moved. Foundations should be start to be laid out next year.

-> Media Village (Barra)

- No news

-> Media Village (Port)

- Conceptual project approved.

-> Hotels

- Several hotel groups have initiated projects in the city, including Accor and Hilton.

- 2 major hotels are being restored (Gloria and Hotel Nacional)

- Former Méridien hotel has been reopened.

- Several hotel groups are in the process of acquiring land to build new hotels, including Hyatt and Four Seasons.

- Expectation now is to reach 34.000 hotel rooms by 2016, instead of the 28.000 proposed in the bid book.

-> Port

- No news if the renovations of the docks was inside the tender for the Port District PPP.

Urbanization:

-> PPP was assigned to carry the renovation of the Port District, including the creation of new Light Rail lines, expansion of the road network and the demolition of a highway to be replaced by an underground tunnel. => Works are under way.

- Urban project for the areas of the Port which will be used for the Olympics has been chosen through a competition.

• Like 1