2 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Taiwan backpedaled on their decision to boycott the Opening Ceremonies.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20220201-taiwan-delegation-to-attend-beijing-olympics-ceremonies-as-required

The reason? The IOC apparently threatened them with punitive actions (even if its not explicity mentioned)

So its perfectly fine for China to boycott not one but three opening ceremonies Taiwan held (2009 Deaflympics, 2009 World Games, 2017 Universiade), but when Taiwan tries to do it for justified reasons, they get evil eyes?

**** the IOC. I hope their Social Credits were worth it.

Oh, little Winnie Pooh will be such a proud boy, smiling and waving to what he sees as fellow countrymen. At least they will have to be welcomed as "Zhonghua Taibei" I hope, but who knows. Bach has been such a good boy for the CCP recently, after all.

• Thanks 1

Nice job Games bidders...keeping your anti-China racism going at all times, huh? By your logic, then that means Italy, France, the US, Australia, Britain, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium and Germany should never be allowed to host major events like the Olympics...right? Oh...right..only China must be excluded. I'm sorry to break it to you, but Americans, and white people in general, have long surrendered their "ability" to lecture other countries, particularly those run by non whites, about how to run their countries, given all the atrocities and injustices committed against Indigenous peoples and black people. I'll be waiting for the protests against LA 28 regarding police brutality and systematic racism in America...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

So its perfectly fine for China to boycott not one but three opening ceremonies Taiwan held (2009 Deaflympics, 2009 World Games, 2017 Universiade), but when Taiwan tries to do it for justified reasons, they get evil eyes?

4 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

At the 2014 Paralympics, Ukraine did the same. The IOC did no actions toward them.

Wouldn't any disciplinary action from those occasions be under the jurisdiction of the CISS, FISU, IWGA, and the IPC, instead of the IOC, though?

4 hours ago, LinkParkFn said:

I'll be waiting for the protests against LA 28 regarding police brutality and systematic racism in America...

I just hope that by 2028, we won't have an authoritarian problem of our own, if some of these current, warped elected officials in certain states get their undemocratic ways. 

8 hours ago, LinkParkFn said:

Nice job Games bidders...keeping your anti-China racism going at all times, huh? By your logic, then that means Italy, France, the US, Australia, Britain, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, Belgium and Germany should never be allowed to host major events like the Olympics...right? Oh...right..only China must be excluded. I'm sorry to break it to you, but Americans, and white people in general, have long surrendered their "ability" to lecture other countries, particularly those run by non whites, about how to run their countries, given all the atrocities and injustices committed against Indigenous peoples and black people. I'll be waiting for the protests against LA 28 regarding police brutality and systematic racism in America...

Oh c’mon, it’s not like anyone called them slit-eyed yellow devils or hounded down PyeongChang or Tokyo.

And yes,  western countries have their dirty laundry too. But at least we can acknowledge them and protest them in-person or online without getting our citizen score docked or enrolled in a re-education camp.

51857567140_0109889879_w.jpg

Sydney 2000

51857104598_17923021c4_k.jpg

Taipei 2022

Edited by Sir Rols

17 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Anyway, moving on from the subject. I posted this in another thread but 30 seconds of the Opening Ceremony were shown. Could not find it in Youtube nor Twitter but in a chinese website, which I assume is the usual OBS snippet they show one week before an opening. Watch under your discretion.

http://www.tjbh.com/c/2022-02-01/995933.shtml

I wasn't able to play the video because of a flash video problem but the pictures below look impressive. I love the blue lines surrounding the Olympic Flag. It reminds me of the Beijing presentation from Pyeongchang's closing ceremony with the blue lines that formed on the stage floor while the LED skaters and pandas danced around the projections.

UPDATE: I was able to play the video from Safari instead of Chrome. 

Spoiler

I was impressed by the props and the dancing. love the incorporation of children. The snippets of children singing and the combination of Chinese song makes it seem like a Chinese Disney musical. The boy with the trumpet makde it seem a bit propaganda-ish. The Chinese organisers always seem to incorporate people wearing dresses from different regions throughout China like what they did with the Chinese flag.

Although the snippets were interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished production on Feb. 4

On 2/2/2022 at 4:47 PM, Scotguy II said:

Can we keep this thread for the opening ceremony and those of us who will and want to watch it/discuss it.

Don’t worry, I’m not gonna crash your party tonight. Have your fun. I won’t guarantee I won’t peruse it tomorrow for the after-party and have my say then, though.

If a pristine thread without pesky interlopers was required, perhaps it shouldn’t have been created so extremely prematurely, for whatever reasons. I wonder who’s gonna jump the gun and start the closing live chat within hours of the cauldron firing up? 

37 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

If a pristine thread without pesky interlopers was required, perhaps it shouldn’t have been created so extremely prematurely, for whatever reasons.  

Yeah, really (or being reminded on every page, the start-time of said ceremony). But then again, this thread wouldn't have been nearly as entertaining had it been started more appropiately closer to the opening lol.

39 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I wonder who’s gonna jump the gun and start the closing live chat within hours of the cauldron firing up? 

Yeah, it seems like it's an Olympic sprint of it's own around here lately as to whom can start the "live-chat" as early as possible. IIRC, I think it was the same for Tokyo 2020ne. I have my bet, though, as to who'll start the Beijing 2022 closing live chat as soon as they can lol.

Still in two minds on whether to watch...I probably will, just to throw snark at it on the live chat, as per tradition :lol: And I'll admit, Yimou hinting at a cauldronless cauldron has got me intrigued. I'll certainly be turning off the protocol speeches, which will be even more sickening than usual - I can't say I've got any real enthusiasm for the ceremony, which says it all really, it should be the occasion of the year. Excited for the real action though, seeing curling on the BBC this afternoon made it feel like it's Olympics time. It just...should have been Oslo. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Still in two minds on whether to watch...I probably will, just to throw snark at it on the live chat, as per tradition :lol:

:lol:

20 minutes ago, yoshi said:

It just...should have been Oslo. 

Oslo was probably willing, but the IOC just didn't want to give up their champagne & caviar pamper treatment. So they kinda made their own bed here. 

It’s 9.30am now in Beijing, Friday 4 Feb, and the Opening Ceremony begins in 10.5 hours.

The temperature right now there is a chilly -5 degrees celcius (23F) and heading to a max of 1C.

For the OC start at 8pm, it will be a clear night, wind from the N/NWest @ 19kmh (11 mph) and temperature around -2 degrees C (28F).

Where to watch the Opening Ceremony >>  List of Worldwide Broadcasters << CLICK HERE - Olympics.org 

tbiDTAr.jpg

From Olympics.org:

“The Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Olympic Games represent the official start - and end - of an Olympic Games. Through music, song, dance and fireworks, the ceremonies invite people to discover the culture of the country in which the Games are taking place.”

“On 4 February 2022, almost 14 years on from the iconic spectacles of the 2008 summer ceremonies, Beijing’s National Stadium (also known as the Bird’s Nest) will once again stage an Olympic Opening Ceremony; this time, for the 2022 Olympic Winter Games.”

“After two weeks of competition, Beijing 2022 will come to an end with the Closing Ceremony (which will also take place at the Bird’s Nest), at which point the Olympic flag will be passed on to the Mayors of the Italian cities of Milan and Cortina-D’Ampezzo, the hosts of the 2026 Olympic Winter Games.

Before the ceremony, i would like to present some words of mine.

The opening is aproaching, and it certaninly will be a display of our hosts culture, like it always as. In the end, the point of hosting the games is to make an ad out of your country anyway, it would be pointless to switch hosts every 4 years if this wasn´t true. Even if it make all things about the country sins to be washed away, even if just for a single second.

Hopefully the show in Beijing will be more about the people and it´s culture and less(or not at all) about the unofficial emperor and his ambitions. It certainly will, the IOC in their mindset of thinking that sport and politics don´t mix (a certainly bold take given that the event they organize is related to ancient greek city-states) that they actually belive(?) would not let something like this slide. But if it did, that could make things funny, in a train getting off-the-rails way.

However, some things bug my head by late sometimes; i find myself wondering about the safer hosts of the next games sins as well... But two wrongs don´t make it right. Tibetans, Ughyurs, they deserve justice. And the whole of China deserve better than a ditactorship. Hopefully, someday things will be better.

But, today, let´s see the calduron be lit. The IOC made the call 7 years ago, and that´s all they got. It´s actually amusing to think that Beijing 2008 legacy would actually be an Winter Olympics, and it´s actually nice to see that the Water Cube got frozen. But we should not forget the sins that the powerful make, where they may be.

Good luck to all atlhetes and nations.

I'm genuinely excited for the OC. The 2008 ones were great so I'm looking forward to the spectacle that awaits us in a few hours.