Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, PikyoK said:

and it should finish by about 12:40am which is fine for me given that i'll be busy the next day. 

in my timezone by the way

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking back at previous winter ceremonies, another possible route is to organize them like a winter Paralympic closing ceremony, since they usually last around 1h30m, well within the 100-minute time frame given for this ceremony. The only thing about this plan, is that it would require having the athletes seated beforehand and having a YOG style parade of flags instead

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who (except some folks on here) has the patience any longer to go through a three or four-hour ceremony? After all, we are used to 15-second TikToks by now. I usually get drained by the time oaths and speeches (god beware the speeches!) happen. After all, shortening the whole thing is the right step.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, munichfan said:

How else would we have grabbed hold of this world-changing news? 

In a Covid Olympic world, it is world changing.  As we saw in Tokyo, spectators were almost non-existant.

Now, six months later, things have progressed and at these Winter Olympics there will be some spectators.

For those watching the Opening Ceremony, it may not be such an empty Birds Nest Stadium after all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, munichfan said:

Who (except some folks on here) has the patience any longer to go through a three or four-hour ceremony? After all, we are used to 15-second TikToks by now. I usually get drained by the time oaths and speeches (god beware the speeches!) happen. After all, shortening the whole thing is the right step.

I now usually, just start to tune out when the Parade of Nations starts. It's just pretty much the same thing every Games. It was fun to watch when I first started watching the Olympics, but now it seems so "been there, done that". The commentators saying their tidbits, is/was usually pretty interesting (& you don't really need to watch the TV to listen to them).

But even that now is starting to get repetitive. For example; "here comes Italy. They have x-number of athletes at the these Games, & they also hosted the 1956 Winter Olympics in Cortina, the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome, the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, & soon Milan/Cortina will be hosting the 2026 Winter Olympics". So predictable & such a yawner now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, munichfan said:

Thank god this has been posted to three threads. How else would we have grabbed hold of this world-changing news? :rolleyes:

Not surprised. Again, that's par-for-the-course for said poster. But just like Covid unfortunately, looks like we'll just have to adapt to it here on GB's & 'carry on', lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, munichfan said:

How else would we have grabbed hold of this world-changing news? 

 

5 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

In a Covid Olympic world, it is world changing.  As we saw in Tokyo, spectators were almost non-existant.

Now, six months later, things have progressed and at these Winter Olympics there will be some spectators.

For those watching the Opening Ceremony, it may not be such an empty Birds Nest Stadium after all.

Spectators at Beijing 2022

This is the quick interview extract (4m 30s) where Thomas Bach talks about spectators being at the Games.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, FYI said:

I now usually, just start to tune out when the Parade of Nations starts. It's just pretty much the same thing every Games. It was fun to watch when I first started watching the Olympics, but now it seems so "been there, done that". The commentators saying their tidbits, is/was usually pretty interesting (& you don't really need to watch the TV to listen to them).

But even that now is starting to get repetitive. For example; "here comes Italy. They have x-number of athletes at the these Games, & they also hosted the 1956 Winter Olympics in Cortina, the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome, the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, & soon Milan/Cortina will be hosting the 2026 Winter Olympics". So predictable & such a yawner now.

Yes, I’m the same.

i mean, I get that for newcomers to the ceremonies it’s a great thing. I remember watching the parade of nations for Montreal and it was one of the things that sparked my enthusiasm for the games, but by this stage it’s just become so tedious. The last few ceremonies, by the time Greece starts marching in I’ve been off to do chores - go do the week’s grocery shopping, fill the car with petrol or scrub the bathroom - and by the time I get back they’re still only up to St Kitts & Nevis or Swaziland. It’s why I’m keen to see Paris’ Seine barges plan - it could work great if it’s all going on while other things are happening… or it could end up being even more tedious if we get a two hour block where all that’s happening is barges arriving, unloading and then the teams forming up and marching in.

it’s all part and parcel of why I’m getting a bit jaded with OC’s in general, much less the Nuremberg Rally with “Peace” and Pandas we’re about to get. The protocol and obligatory items - speeches, oaths, hymns, flag raisings, the parade of nations etc, has all become so boring and take up too much time. Less and less cultural stuff is fitting into the mix. That’s why the closing ceremonies have become far for enjoyable to me - more free form, fun and far less obligatory boring set pieces.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I love the cultural segment of the opening ceremonies, we as espectators tend to froget that these arenot a theater play, these are ceremonies, as serious and formal as a graduation, or a presidential inauguration. Im not going to be like the LA28 guy who wanted ceremonies to be cut down to formal segments, but I'd rather not go to the other pole by cutting the protocolary segments from the final product to make it more watchable in TV. If the parade of nations last 3 hours I will watch it because its THE moment, the athletes, the real protagonists of the olympics officially take the stage. The only protocollary segment I think is out of place are the speeches from fencing 1976, but after that every moment of the ceremony incluiding the cultural segments is what make unique every edition of the olympics.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will be 1am here in New Zealand on Friday night so I may grab myself some Chinese Wine, prawn crackers and fortune cookies.... Will also look for some red decorations.

I will also put on display my Sochi 2014 olympic gold medal that i get out every Olympiad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

As much as I love the cultural segment of the opening ceremonies, we as espectators tend to froget that these arenot a theater play, these are ceremonies, as serious and formal as a graduation, or a presidential inauguration. Im not going to be like the LA28 guy who wanted ceremonies to be cut down to formal segments, but I'd rather not go to the other pole by cutting the protocolary segments from the final product to make it more watchable in TV. If the parade of nations last 3 hours I will watch it because its THE moment, the athletes, the real protagonists of the olympics officially take the stage. The only protocollary segment I think is out of place are the speeches from fencing 1976, but after that every moment of the ceremony incluiding the cultural segments is what make unique every edition of the olympics.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting the protocol elements should be cut - even the president’s speech - they’re important. And yes, while I find the parade of nations tedious and I’ve long outlived my enthusiasm for it, I recognise it’s also quite magical to some, especially new potential games fans and to the athletes themselves. And there is a possibly unsolvable dilemma involved in efforts to try to streamline the parade while still maintaining it’s importance.

it’s just, to me at least, because of these protocol restraints, the openings have become far less entertaining to watch than the freer and more fun closings.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Yes, I’m the same.

The last few ceremonies, by the time Greece starts marching in I’ve been off to do chores - go do the week’s grocery shopping, fill the car with petrol or scrub the bathroom - and by the time I get back they’re still only up to St Kitts & Nevis or Swaziland. 

Yeah, exactly. Unless of course, Pita Nikolas marches in oiled & shirtless again, then it's time to race back to the TV set!! :lol:

18 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

it’s all part and parcel of why I’m getting a bit jaded with OC’s in general, much less the Nuremberg Rally with “Peace” and Pandas we’re about to get. The protocol and obligatory items - speeches, oaths, hymns, flag raisings, the parade of nations etc, has all become so boring and take up too much time. Less and less cultural stuff is fitting into the mix. That’s why the closing ceremonies have become far for enjoyable to me - more free form, fun and far less obligatory boring set pieces.

Yes, I agree. I would like more cultural bang & a lot less protocol politesse. It's just all so predictable now. The closings I can agree with as well, but sometimes they too can become all over place, & just reminds me as if I'm watching the Superbowl half-time show instead of an Olympic ceremony. Just wish there was somekind of balance between the two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

As much as I love the cultural segment of the opening ceremonies, we as espectators tend to froget that these arenot a theater play, these are ceremonies, as serious and formal as a graduation, or a presidential inauguration. Im not going to be like the LA28 guy who wanted ceremonies to be cut down to formal segments, but I'd rather not go to the other pole by cutting the protocolary segments from the final product to make it more watchable in TV. If the parade of nations last 3 hours I will watch it because its THE moment, the athletes, the real protagonists of the olympics officially take the stage. The only protocollary segment I think is out of place are the speeches from fencing 1976, but after that every moment of the ceremony incluiding the cultural segments is what make unique every edition of the olympics.

Yeah, & many people are bored outta their minds at those, too! Like Donald Trump at his OWN presidential inauguration. Or former U.S. president Bill Clinton asleep at Joe Biden’s presidential inauguration. :lol:
 

donald-trump-sleeping-through-inaugurati

38268902-9169065-image-m-12_161117001041

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FYI said:

Oh, that’s too bad. :( That alone woulda  make Beijing 2022 opening worth watching! :lol:

You can still drop by at this thread. There's gonna be half a dozen dripping wet Gamesbidders on the live chat. They are all so willing to be pleased by a nice ceremony again, oh yeah. What's an oily Tongan compared to that? :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...