Oslo 2022

kernowboy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that sooner or later Oslo would withdraw. People is not backing at all. And I think it is a wise decision.

Except that the IOC is all over them, including Bach and even Rogge who went to cheer on the Norwegian biathletes. The IOC will pressure them hard (especially privately) to stay in the race and could succeed.

Also Jordal Arena with 4000 capacity meets requirements of hockey tournament? Krakow has ready Siedleckiego ice rink, but it is said that 3000 sitting places isnt enough to consider using it during Olympics.

Can anybody list all venues with their status now? Idea, project, construction, need redesign, ready?

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/winter_olympic_bids/future_winter_bids/1216136851.html

"Fifty eight percent of Norwegians now say the state should not agreed to put up a financial guarantee for the Games, with 26 per cent saying it should, and 16 per cent were undecided."

It is strange that the numbers are going more negative as time goes on. Is it the result of a greater awareness of the issues at Sochi?

Well, that was five minutes well spent...You got: The United Kingdom.

You’re the funniest person you know, and sarcasm is your specialty. Although you may try to maintain a stiff upper lip and avoid talking about your feelings, you enjoy nothing more than unwinding with a few friends over a pint in the pub

Except that the IOC is all over them, including Bach and even Rogge who went to cheer on the Norwegian biathletes. The IOC will pressure them hard (especially privately) to stay in the race and could succeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the IOC dispensed with the government guarantee at least at this stage to keep them in, knowing that once they hand it to Oslo, the Norwegian govt and eventually population will be on board as well.

Of course it could all backfire and become a PR nightmare if Norwegians start claiming they were forced to host the Olympics against their will.

Well, the IOC has painted itself into the corner, they now have to live with 5 potentially unpleasant options, of which moaning Norwegians may still be the most acceptable one.

It seems that sooner or later Oslo would withdraw. People is not backing at all. And I think it is a wise decision.

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/winter_olympic_bids/future_winter_bids/1216136851.html

"Fifty eight percent of Norwegians now say the state should not agreed to put up a financial guarantee for the Games, with 26 per cent saying it should, and 16 per cent were undecided."

It is strange that the numbers are going more negative as time goes on. Is it the result of a greater awareness of the issues at Sochi?

My perception is that Norweigans see how much was spent on Sochi (especially compared to the price tag for Lillehammer) and they're afraid their Olympics would turn into that. Which it probably wouldn't. So given the lack of compelling options out there, I think the IOC absolutely would bring them into the fold and give them a shot to build up support and come up with a fiscally conservative plan (as least so far as Olympics go). I think once that happens and as we move further on from Sochi, the support will increase. Obviously to go up from 26 percent to something more acceptable is a tall order, but I think over time it's possible.

I expect that there will be a massive PR campaign in Norway with the Heiberg over the next few weeks to try to get the public on board, highlighting the proposed costs and the overall performance of Norway in Sochi. Right now, I cannot see the government signing off on this if indeed the polls are accurate. To do so would mount to political suicide, going with something the voters don't want.

I expect that there will be a massive PR campaign in Norway with the Heiberg over the next few weeks to try to get the public on board, highlighting the proposed costs and the overall performance of Norway in Sochi. Right now, I cannot see the government signing off on this if indeed the polls are accurate. To do so would mount to political suicide, going with something the voters don't want.

But the next elections are far away, at least on national level. By 2017, Oslo may well have been chosen and the public opinion turned. If there is a time for the govt to ignore the polls, it is now, they sure won't ignore them when elections are around the corner again.

But the next elections are far away, at least on national level. By 2017, Oslo may well have been chosen and the public opinion turned. If there is a time for the govt to ignore the polls, it is now, they sure won't ignore them when elections are around the corner again.

But the IOC will want to see encouraging numbers as their selection time nears.

#1, they're not beggars. #2 - there are still 4 other candidates besides Oslo.

And if they don't have those numbers; then you're going to have Denver 1972-76 all over again.

I dunno. I think the IOC is definitely inching closer to beggar status. None of the other 4 options is very good.

I do admit that Denver crossed my mind, but that type of scenario would only come into play if the Norwegians totally mangle the domestic PR campaign. They definitely have a lot of work to do to win hearts and minds. I'm inclined to think they'll be able to persuade enough of the people to proceed with a bid and land the Games. The build-up to those Games could be a bit rocky (or not), but I suspect the IOC would prefer that to a host they really don't want.

I think that we're going to start seeing the IOC make all sorts of concessions because they know they simply don't have leverage.

And how do you know who "...they really don't want?" Or is this like your "New York state-of-mind" again?

BTW, thanks again for your help in the "What Price Glory?" thread. One can always count on you. <_<

Fair enough. Maybe the IOC is itching for a bi-national bid (though they said they weren't). Or maybe they really want three consecutive Games in Asia (though they've been pretty clear about wanting to move the Games around the globe). Or maybe they're not all that worried about the political climate in the Ukraine (though Mark Adams seemed to find it pretty serious). Or maybe Thomas Bach and Jaques Rogge's apparent efforts to lobby the Norwegians in Sochi were just misinterpreted.

If you play the game of "what the IOC wants" and argue that we can't voice our suspicions, then we might as well close down the forums and just wait for the vote. That's the only way to REALLY know what the IOC wants.

If you play the game of "what the IOC wants" and argue that we can't voice our suspicions, then we might as well close down the forums and just wait for the vote. That's the only way to REALLY know what the IOC wants.

WOW! This is soooooo RICH coming from you! Perhaps Baron is playing the where is your "evidence" game! The stop preaching your opinions as "fact". Never mind voicing "our suspicions"! A forum?! LMFAO! What did you think that this place was in the first place. :-P

Archived