FIFA World Cup 2030: Morocco, Portugal & Spain (+ Uruguay, Argentina & Paraguay)

1 hour ago, SportLightning said:

So with Spain-Portugal-Ukraine bid would be difficult. I think Argentina-Uruguay-Chile-Paraguay might be awarded.

It does make it much more possible for the UK to host a future World Cup, if the Iberian-Ukrainian bid gets sunk due to Ukrainian involvement... Still baffles me England hasn't hosted since 1966.

9 hours ago, Comped said:

It does make it much more possible for the UK to host a future World Cup, if the Iberian-Ukrainian bid gets sunk due to Ukrainian involvement... Still baffles me England hasn't hosted since 1966.

With that possible struggle for the joint Iberian-Ukranian joint bid, would mean this could be an opportunity for the South American joint bid (Argentina-Uruguay-Chile-Paraguay) to co-host.

I think the Ukraine announcement is more of a PR stunt. Ukraine is not going to have the money for a World Cup when they pick up the pieces if and when they finally expel the Russians from their territory. Correct me if I'm wrong but haven`t the stadiums in Kiev, Kharkiv, and Sumy sustained significant damage?

7 hours ago, stryker said:

I think the Ukraine announcement is more of a PR stunt. Ukraine is not going to have the money for a World Cup when they pick up the pieces if and when they finally expel the Russians from their territory. Correct me if I'm wrong but haven`t the stadiums in Kiev, Kharkiv, and Sumy sustained significant damage?

Kiev's Olympic Stadium didn't had any damage when Ukraine co-hosted the UEFA Euro 2012 with Poland.

• 2 weeks later...

...Ukraine is bidding to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup alongside Spain and Portugal, which Pavelko says is taking up a lot of time and that Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine remain a part of those plans.

"At the same time, dealing with a large number of issues related to the preparation of the World Cup 2030, in communication with colleagues, I constantly emphasize the fate of our temporarily occupied cities by terrorists," said Pavelko.

"All of them, thanks to the heroism of the Armed Forces, will soon be de-occupied, and children living in Crimea, Donetsk, Kherson, Luhansk after release, will have to be involved in the World Cup events."

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1129622/pavelko-demands-fifa-uefa-expel-russia

(he's right that the RFU should be suspended)

• 11 months later...
24 minutes ago, Rob2012 said:

Are they cooking up a weird melange of a World Cup for 2030 to clear the path the Saudi cash?

Or

25 minutes ago, Rob2012 said:

Are they cooking up a weird melange of a World Cup for 2030 to clear the path the Saudi cash?

And 2038 - if they continue the previous policy, presumably 2034 and 2038 will be hosted in AFC and Ocenia?

They said Football and the World are united. Which is why the whole tournament will be played in Morocco, Portugal and Spain, while the opening matches will be held in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay. Now Morocco will finally have a chance to host a FIFA World Cup after five failed attempts. Portugal will finally have a chance to host as well after failing to win the 2018 edition in a bid with Spain. Spain will host it the second time. Paraguay will host it first time but only one match.

4 hours ago, yoshi said:

That might be the craziest plan FIFA have ever cooked up... unless they were for some reason really determined to create a Saudi v China auct...I mean bid race as soon as possible. Can't imagine why they'd want that :ph34r:

INB4 Aussies get the Kiwis to make some high-level contacts on FIFA, so we can get 2034 election next week!

Jokes aside, if they went with three groups in South America who make the transatlantic crossing in the semis, it would be at least more workable. And to be fair, COMNEBOL could have called Brasil to help but can you beat the combined might of Europe and Africa voters? Saudi X China X potentially AUNZ we go.

You know ever since the launch of the logo for 2026, with its emphasis on the host cities rather than countries & how the press release hinted that it was going to be a new generic logo for the World Cup in the future, I've wondered whether FIFA plan to run the World Cup like some of the indoor sports run their championships - award each group to a different country, then chunks of the knockout stages either included with it or in different packages again, with a Final Eight or Four in a different Riyadh...I mean city each time. I wonder even if that's how this will end up, I can't really see Uruguay, Paraguay, and especially Argentina settling for one match each. 

Six countries, 48 teams. Sigh… Almost makes me miss Qatar.

2 hours ago, Guilga said:

INB4 Aussies get the Kiwis to make some high-level contacts on FIFA, so we can get 2034 election next week!

I reckon Aust-NZ really will need to bring Indonesia and potentially also Singapore and Malaysia to have any chance of wresting Asian votes away from the Saudi grasp. 

• Like 1

Interesting this . . .  honoring the original sites on MAJOR anniversaries! 

Athens 2004 - (held discuss & javelin events at old Olympia; the marathon & archery at the 1896 Panathanaikos stadium!!  Marathon runs started in the original village of marathon!! 

George Gershwin's RHAPSODY IN BLUE -- featured as the jaw-dropper portion of LA 1984 Opening Ceremony.  Next February marks the centenary of the writing of this Gershwin classic which premiered at the Aeolian Concert Hall in Manhattan in February 1924.  While the Aeolian concert hall no longer exits, a re-creation of that world premiere of RHAPSODY IN BLUE will be perfromed at the newer, smaller Schwarz auditorium at the same West 43rd Street location in mid-town Manhattan.  It's sort of across from Town Hall.  

SUNY College of Optometry to Present 100th Anniversary Performance of Rhapsody in Blue | Playbill 

And oh, I know what LA might do for its Handover portion in Paris next summer -- Gershwin's other recrod-breaking concert -- AN AMERICAN IN PARIS!!   

World CUp 2030 - with Commemorative matches to be played as the Opening Games in South America!  

Really interesting moves to remember and commemorate the past!! 

3 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

he South American matches seem dumb and token- and then tricky for those teams that have to fly all the way to Europe and Africa after the first matches.

They're trying to minimize travel travel. FIFA and Football are uniting the world as heard from FIFA president. So they want come up with solutions and leave troubled past behind closed doors.

I might be blowing this out of proportion but I wouldn't be surprised if FIFAgate 2.0 results from this decision... it seems sketchy to me how they suddenly announced this and the fact that 6 nations from 3 continents are part of the project - doesn't make a lot of sense logistically. Not to mention Saudi Arabia's immediate hand raise for 2034...

Also, the AFC is backing the Saudi Arabian bid, which I assume will impact Australia's chances (hopefully I'm wrong on this though)

Here's the deal -- like the controversial choice of Laphonsa Butler to fill the remaining term of the late GREAT Senator Dianne Feinstein from the great state of California, Newsom did it quickly even before Sen. Feinstein is in the grave because (1) they need the vote on the Senate Floor; (2) it kills all the lobbying from the various groups pressuring Newsom's office; and (3)  Butler is already a Maryland resident, so there is no learning curve and moving pressure for her to acclimate to a DC setting.  

Similarly, I think FIFA already announced their 2030 choices just to forestall all speculation and further jockeying.  The announcement today says we have just about made our choices -- full stop period.  End of story.  Reserve your fighting energie's for 2034 which will be limited to 2 continents.  

21 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Similarly, I think FIFA already announced their 2030 choices just to forestall all speculation and further jockeying.  The announcement today says we have just about made our choices -- full stop period.  End of story.  Reserve your fighting energie's for 2034 which will be limited to 2 continents.  

Yeah sure, but FIFA themselves have previously said this year that they would elect 2030 in the third quarter of 2024

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/organisation/fifa-council/media-releases/fifa-council-highlights-record-breaking-revenue-in-football

So to award it out of nowhere when there was no real pressure (and after the Spanish FA situation progressed into the courts) is rather suspicious to me

34 minutes ago, Bear said:

Yeah sure, but FIFA themselves have previously said this year that they would elect 2030 in the third quarter of 2024

It's their party and if they want to throw the cake on the wall and pee on your shoes . . . stop 'em.  Not yet final at this stage, but ratification and FORMAL awarding will happen in fall next year, so 3rd quarter, 2024.  

ANd, there's always the Women's FIFA cup as a consolation.  ;)