FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

• 2 months later...

2026 co-hosts USA, Canada, and Mexico are all automatically sitting out the 2026 CONCACAF World Cup qualifying format as all three will be free to organize pre-tournament international friendlies. CONCACAF can potentially have up to 8 teams, including those aforementioned three, in the new 48-team World Cup field. Seemingly a safe bet Costa Rica, Jamaica, Panama, Honduras, and maybe Trinidad & Tobago and El Salvador can among the serious contenders for at least 5 spots intercontinental playoffs included. Goodness knows, the West Indies nations surely would like to have more consistent World Cup participation after Cuba in 1938, Haiti in 1974, Jamaica's Reggae Boyz in 1998, and Trinidad and Tobago's Soca Warriors in 2006. CONCACAF actually has 41 members but the other 9 members aren't FIFA members and won't likely be in the forseeable future. 

CONCACAF's 32-team 2026 World Cup road map structure will start like the following, as reported by the CBC:

The first round of qualifying will feature the four lowest-ranked teams in the region (based on the November 2023 FIFA rankings), with the highest-ranked team taking on the lowest-ranked country and the second-highest versus third-highest in home-and-away matches in the FIFA match window of March 2024.

The two winners advance to the second round, joining 28 other teams from the confederation. The 30 teams will be split into six groups of five teams for round-robin play in June 2024 and June 2025 with each country playing four games.

Group winners to secure berth in fall of 2025

The six group winners and runners-up advance to the final round, which consist of three groups of four teams. After round-robin play that will see each team play six games in the fall of 2025, the three group winners will book their tickets to the 2026 World Cup, joining Canada, Mexico, and the U.S.

The two best second-place finishers will qualify for intercontinental playoffs.

Also has details on a revamped CONCACAF Nations League for its 41 members that will be assigned to League A, B, and C depending on results of the previous Nations League with the first two Leagues having each 16 teams as League C gets 9 teams that will be divided into three groups each with three teams. League A group play will be split into 2 groups of six teams playing four games total (two home and two away)A new quarterfinal round with the top two finishers in each group advancing to join the top-ranked four teams based on CONCACAF March 2023 rankings.

For League A group stage play, the 12 lowest-ranked teams (based on the March 2023 CONCACAF rankings) will be split into two groups of six teams with each team playing a total of four games (two home and two away). No promotion and relegation due to League A's expansion but resuming after the 2023-24 edition. League B remains 16 teams divided into four groups of four teams

The new quarterfinal round will feature a home-and-away format, with the aggregate winners moving on to the Nations League finals. And for the 2023-24 edition of the tournament, the quarterfinal winners will qualify for the 2024 Copa America.

Also, and expanded Copa America is coming next summer in the USA with 16 teams (10 from CONMEBOL in South America and 6 from CONCACAF with two additional CONCACAF teams vying through a play-in--single-elimination matches between the four League A losing quarterfinalists to be played in March 2024 at a centralized venue.

CBC: CONCACAF'S 2026 WORLD CUP QUALIFYING FORMAT 

Regarding UEFA's 2026 World Cup qualification, its Executive Committee announced a new European competition format on January 25 with teams drawn into 12 groups of 4-5 teams each. Group winners will directly qualify for the World Cup, while the second-placed teams will either qualify directly or participate in play-off matches like they're the among the third-best team in EURO single elimination games. It'll start in March or June 2024 in 5-team groups, depending on Nations League quarterfinals or promotion/relegation, and September for 4-team groups   As for Russia, their participation is yet to be confirmed, but given how long the invasion goes on and how defiant Putin's government is, we can safely guess Russia will continue to be suspended:

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/027d-1727b3b1e199-61019185e2c8-1000/

And this is how the AFC structures the upcoming 2026 Asian World Cup qualification format that will ultimately not only bring the 9 Asian spots (8 direct plus the 1 intercontinental playoff one) to USA-Canada-Mexico but also help determine the 24 AFC Asian Cup spots for all of the AFC's 48 teams. All coming from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia:

The qualification structure is as follows:

• First round:[note 1] Twenty-two teams (ranked 26–47) will play home-and-away over two legs. The eleven winners advance to the second round.
  • Second round:[note 2] Thirty-six teams (those ranked 1–25 and the eleven first-round winners) are divided into nine groups of four teams to play home-and-away round-robin matches. The eighteen group winners and group runners-up advance to the third round.
  • Third round:[note 3] The eighteen teams that advance from the second round are divided into three groups of six teams to play home-and-away round-robin matches. The top two teams of each group qualify for the World Cup, while the third-placed and fourth-placed teams of each group advance to the fourth round.
  • Fourth round:[note 4] The six teams that advance from the third round are divided into two groups of three teams each to play a single round-robin. The winners qualify for the World Cup.
  • Fifth round:[note 4] The group runners-up in the previous round will compete in a play-off tie to determine the Asian representation at the inter-confederation play-offs.

https://www.the-afc.com/en/more/afc_competitions/news/asia’s_pathway_to_the_fifa_world_cup_2026_and_afc_asian_cup™_2027_confirmed.html

(Should note the quote above is actually from Wikipedia's entry on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification#cite_note-2026_AFC_Qualification_Pathway-6 . Brought in for brevity)

CONMEBOL is expected to remain the same with the first qualifiers set for later in 2023. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

OK, so with 104 games now set for 2026, how will those be split between the 3 nations now?  

Probably something like 12-15 Canada (since they only have 2 stadia), 15-20 Mexico, and the rest on the US.  104 games in 16 stadia is an average of 6.5 games per site, so they don't need to add locations.  More games means they'll probably need an extra week to finish the tournament, so it shouldn't be too much extra strain.

Most importantly.. good job by FIFA abandoning the 16 groups of 3 plan.  That was dumb.  This is better, although the elimination round might be a little too bloated now

/\/\  So the final 4 teams will have played at least 7 or 8 games to get to the Semis and the Finals?  So it'll probably stretch out to 6 weeks?  That's a LONG SLOG.  Wow!  I can't even imagine the INJURY rates!! 

Or I guess score differentials after the Quarters will play a big part so that the tournament doesn't last past 5 weeks?  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

9 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

/\/\  So the final 4 teams will have played at least 7 or 8 games to get to the Semis and the Finals?  So it'll probably stretch out to 6 weeks?  That's a LONG SLOG.  Wow!  I can't even imagine the INJURY rates!! 

Or I guess score differentials after the Quarters will play a big part so that the tournament doesn't last past 5 weeks?  

Teams reaching the final play 7 games now.  This would up that number to 8.  But the current tournament gets played in about 32 days (Qatar 2022 was condensed because it was in November/December) and this would likely have to stretch out to about 39 days.  So it's not a significant add to the wear and tear on these players, as if they're not used to playing with that kind of frequency during their regular club seasons. 

And yes, goal differential will absolutely come into play during the group stage since they'll need that to break ties for 3rd place in groups.  We last saw that in the `94 World Cup when they were last at 24 teams.  Amazing to think that the following World Cup in North America will be literally double the number of teams

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yoshi said:

Amazing that it took this long to realise that even numbers > odd numbers. I give it two tournaments before they also realise powers of two > not powers of two, and we get a 64 team World Cup. 

Nah.  I think the idiotic, BLOATED number of 48 teams will collapse after 2030.  I mean, after the US, which would already have hosted 2026, China would be the ONLY one-country host capable of hosting a 64-team tournament.  But even that would be just TOO much for FIFA.  It's total insanity!! 

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2023 at 4:47 PM, yoshi said:

But this is FIFA who I don't think ever go back on anything. To go back to 32 would mean admitting Gianni was wrong, and that's... unlikely unless there's some major changes to everything at FIFA...

Well, they gave up on the Groupings of 3.  They realized how unwieldy the bracketing would be.  So they do own up to their mistakes.  

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, they gave up on the Groupings of 3.  They realized how unwieldy the bracketing would be.  So they do own up to their mistakes.  

Easier to own up when you can make even more money out of it (more games = more revenue).

So, for openers, Mexico will host 12 teams (18 elim games); Canada 8 (12 elim games); and then 28 teams (42 matches) in the US?   

Also, t turns out SoFi field is too narrow for FIFA games; so finals will definitely be at Giants stadium in NYC.  3rd place game would be at the Rose Bowl?  Semi's @ Atlanta and Levi's?  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

A reader to a NY Times article about the changed 2026 format proposed this idea. 

Instead of expanding and watering down the World Cup I'd propose a more exciting and elegant solution: Include an international team composed of best players from countries that didn't qualify.

Imagine top players Salah (Egypt), Haaland (Norway) and Kvaratskhelia (Georgia) as attacking forwards in the same team. They are from relatively small footballing nations that don't always qualify for WC. There are many great individual players that never qualify to play in the WC.

Have 2 players maximum from a single country in the international team, and you may have 10 or more nationalities represented that would otherwise not participate in the WC. This international squad will unify the rest of the world and provide more interest in the global game.

I'm not a football expert by any means -- but do wiser heads here say?  Feasible?  Foolish?  Productive? 

4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

A reader to a NY Times article about the changed 2026 format proposed this idea. 

I'm not a football expert by any means -- but do wiser heads here say?  Feasible?  Foolish?  Productive? 

No. Not at all. The World Cup is more important than the stars, it is what make them shine the brightest. But having a super team of non qualified nations would miss the point of the fun, having a chance of representing your nation and win. This sort of team is better fit for an all-star game than the ultimate prize of the sport, not to mention the enraged face the presidents and players of lower ranked federations having to face this thing and the heated debates over who would lose a spot for this cheat code of a team that could actually win it.

Actually, imagine this: You could, purposefully, not give your 100% in the qualifers just to get in the ultrateam of non qualified individuals to get an easier chance of winning. I doubt anyone would be happy with that.

22 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

SoFi Stadium not wide enough for the FIFA World Cup Final?

And somewhere Jerry Jones is smiling. AT&T Stadium was built with hosting both FIFA WC games and the Olympics in mind. As they say, everything's bigger in Texas.

13 hours ago, FYI said:

If not SoFi, then the final will be at Met Life, not Texas. As with all of the previous Texas Olympic bids, they all went nowhere in the end, regardless of what AT&T stadium was initially built in mind for.

I won't discount that MetLife is a favorite for the final at this point, but I wouldn't discount AT&T Stadium for several reasons. First, AT&T Stadium has more luxury suites than MetLife, including suites at field level. That means more VIPs which equals more money. Capacity wise the stadium can seat 100,000, slightly more than MetLife, more bottoms in seats, more money. The stadium is also set to under renovations paid for exclusively by Jones including renovated suites, expanded concourses, and party club levels. These renovations will be done in 2025. Location-wise, AT&T Stadium is in the middle of an entertainment district including Texas Live! which would make an ideal fanzone. Finally, there's Jerry Jones. The man is IMO the most powerful sports team owner on the planet. While I think his record as a Dallas Cowboys GM is mediocre at best, the man knows how to negotiate. The guy could sell ice to Eskimos. He will have a sales pitch for the WC final that will be hard to turn down. As for previous failed Olympic bids, I think that's irrelevant. Having said all that, yes, if I had to bet money I'd say MetLife is  line for the final, but I would expect Dallas to at least host one of the semifinals and possibly the third place match, but I totally wouldn't rule out JerryWorld.

Considering your state is run by red-neck BIGOTS, AT&T will NOT host the finals.  If they are NOT held in the capital city, then at least the next major metro area -- which is DEFINITELY New York City.  As I said, 2026 Finals will be at MetLife;
3rd placer at the Rose Bowl
Semis in Atlanta and Levi Stadium.  That gives the final stages of the game a balanced geographic spread.  

Wasn't the plan to move east across America through the tournament? I'm quite surprised they didn't build SoFi as capable of hosting football (soccer) - with MLS growing, strong in LA, and with it being built for Kroenke, who owns Arsenal too. 

23 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Considering your state is run by red-neck BIGOTS, AT&T will NOT host the finals.  If they are NOT held in the capital city, then at least the next major metro area -- which is DEFINITELY New York City.  As I said, 2026 Finals will be at MetLife;
3rd placer at the Rose Bowl
Semis in Atlanta and Levi Stadium.  That gives the final stages of the game a balanced geographic spread.  

I won't discount the red-neck Bigot part. That's one of the reasons I left. And Georgia is run by red-necked bigots too. As I said, I still see MetLife as the favorite, but money talks. Rose Bowl is ineligible to host any WC matches because it has all bleacher seating. WC requires chair-backed seats. Rose Bowl is an iconic venue, but I was at a UCLA football game last year, and it's a dump.

12 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Wasn't the plan to move east across America through the tournament? I'm quite surprised they didn't build SoFi as capable of hosting football (soccer) - with MLS growing, strong in LA, and with it being built for Kroenke, who owns Arsenal too. 

I've wondered about that as well with regards to SoFi and Kroenke unless he thinks it's a requirement that FIFA will waive.

52 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Sofi can and has hosted soccer. It's hosting the CONCACAF Gold Cup final this year, for example.

The issue is, if you build a small platform for the pitch it ends up being a bit of a squash, and if you build a big platform to give it more space you obviously lose capacity.

For a world cup final neither of those compromises are acceptable. It may be that the stadium is fine for soccer all the way up to the World Cup semi-final stage. Which isn't too bad going for a stadium for which it's barely even a secondary sport.