Tokyo 2020 News - General

2 hours ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

Is it completely stupid to suggest a moving of the games to another place? Tokyo and Japan is very far from other countries in handling the pandemic, vaccines etc. 

When no attendance, it should be "easy" to move it to another place. For example London? Or would it be completely bullshit to think that at this point. The venues, with no attendance, i believe would not be an issue in London?

At this point I believe there's two cities in the world that could handle the olympics right now, L.A. (host of 2028),and Beijing (Because of the 2022 village)

1 hour ago, Chris_Mex said:

At this point I believe there's two cities in the world that could handle the olympics right now, L.A. (host of 2028),and Beijing (Because of the 2022 village)

That poster over on the move 2022 thread would love that.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

Is it completely stupid to suggest a moving of the games to another place? Tokyo and Japan is very far from other countries in handling the pandemic, vaccines etc. 

When no attendance, it should be "easy" to move it to another place. For example London? Or would it be completely bullshit to think that at this point. The venues, with no attendance, i believe would not be an issue in London?

Florida volunteers to host 2021 Olympics if Japan backs out due to COVID-19 concerns - CBSSports.com

10 hours ago, Hansfromdenmark said:

It is completely stupid to suggest moving the games to another place.  There are only 75 days until the Opening Ceremony.  It would be anything but "easy" to move them to another venue and yes, it is completely and total bullshit to think that another city could throw plans together in a little over 2 months to make it happen.  Even without fans, think about the number of people involved.  11,000 athletes.  Media.  Support staff.  And everything else.  Can't just drop that on a city on such short notice.

8 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

No they can't.  Beijing's village is for a Winter Olympics, which is a lot smaller than a Summer.  And Los Angeles?  You can't assume that all of the venues and infrastructure they need are available this summer on short notice.  The idea that a city like that is perpetually ready to host the Olympics is pretty off base.  Think about LA.. look at what is necessary to convert the Coliseum for track and field.  They're not set up for that and they would need a lot of time to make the conversion

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

And Los Angeles?  You can't assume that all of the venues and infrastructure they need are available this summer on short notice.  The idea that a city like that is perpetually ready to host the Olympics is pretty off base.  Think about LA.. look at what is necessary to convert the Coliseum for track and field.  They're not set up for that and they would need a lot of time to make the conversion

I think the next biggest athletics stadium in LA holds fewer than 10000.  Hayward Field is I'm sure the largest athletics stadium in the US, as every other large college football stadium has removed the running track, so as to provide better seating.  

1 hour ago, Triplecast said:

I think the next biggest athletics stadium in LA holds fewer than 10000.  Hayward Field is I'm sure the largest athletics stadium in the US, as every other large college football stadium has removed the running track, so as to provide better seating.  

Hilmer Lodge Stadium (Mt. Sac) recently finished the renovations on their stadium, the university claims the permanent capacity is 11,500 and that it the stadium can be expanded to a larger capacity if needed. The new facility looks really nice, and I believe it is WA certified.

Info: https://www.mtsacathleticscomplex.com/main-facilities/stadium-track-field

3 hours ago, Triplecast said:

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Hilmer Lodge Stadium (Mt. Sac) recently finished the renovations on their stadium, the university claims the permanent capacity is 11,500 and that it the stadium can be expanded to a larger capacity if needed. The new facility looks really nice, and I believe it is WA certified.

Info: https://www.mtsacathleticscomplex.com/main-facilities/stadium-track-field

Sorry, but it is complete and utter nonsense to even contemplate that a whole Olympic Games, can be uprooted and transplanted to another city in another country in 75 days.

Seriously, are you guys completely out of your cotton picking minds?

No offence, but you’re dreaming.

It’s not going to happen, even if some publicity seeking lunatic in Florida living in an alternate reality thinks it can.

The Tokyo Games are going ahead in a unique Olympic Bubble which they have been preparing meticulously for 12 months for on the basis of NO VACCINE being available.

The fact there is now a vaccine available  is a is a bonus for the organisers.

The Games are going ahead in Tokyo in 75 days time, as planned.

A petition is not going to change anything.

The Japanese Prime Minister just said last week to the US President that the Games are going ahead as planned in Tokyo.

The Japanese Organising Committee just said it.

The International Olympic Committee just said it.

Tokyo Games will have Spectators

These Olympic Games in Tokyo will have  spectators, just not international ones.

The IOC just said yesterday, Saturday 8 May 2021, that a decision on exactly how many spectators from within Japan allowed at each venue will be made as late as possible.

Here is the evidence.

Watch this media conference by the Chairperson of the IOC’s Tokyo Coordination Commission.

Click Here to watch 8 May 2021 Media Conference by IOC Tokyo Coordination Chairperson

‘The Games will go ahead’: Coates shuts down talk of Tokyo cancellation

We’ve spent the first half of last year identifying all the worse-case scenarios, we’ve spent the next six months looking at the counter  measures. We’re implementing those countermeasures, they have all been predicated on no vaccines. That situation has improved, the Games are going ahead.

There are no hypotheticals, there is no Plan B. The Tokyo Olympics are going ahead come July 23, according to John Coates, as the IOC backs its COVID protocols and vaccination program to trump the potential of a coronavirus outbreak.

Coates, who is vice-president of the International Olympic Committee as well as president of the Australian Olympic Committee, said on Saturday that there had been no talk about a late cancellation of the Games by planners or the Japanese government, even as emergency restrictions in Tokyo, Osaka, Hyogo and Kyoto were extended until the end of the month.

With the IOC now striking deals with major vaccine manufacturers, to complement already running programs across the world, Coates suggested some 90 per cent of the attending athletes would be vaccinated.

Under the IOC Playbook, they are strictly segregated from the Japanese public, with a decision on whether local fans can attend to be made closer to the Games.

“We don’t think that’s the case. At the moment, the Games will go ahead, there’s no need for us to be hypothetical,” Coates said.

“We’ve spent the first half of last year identifying all the worse-case scenarios, we’ve spent the next six months looking at the countermeasures. We’re implementing those countermeasures, they have all been predicated on no vaccines. That situation has improved, the Games are going ahead.”

Coates denied the IOC was putting the health of athletes and Japanese citizens at risk for commercial reasons, or as part of a vanity project for Games officials. He said the Olympics had always been about the athletes and that could never be more true than in Tokyo, where they will live and compete with little outside social interaction.

“If we were doing that, we would have pushed ahead with them last year. We didn’t,” Coates said. “The motivation is so these athletes can pursue what they have been dreaming of ... I don’t want these kids to miss the one opportunity they may have in their lifetime. It’s so these kids can fulfil their dream.

“I was at the Australian Rowing Championships four weeks ago, they are just desperate to compete. They knew the parents aren’t going, they just want to compete, want to test themselves. That’s what most of it is all about.”

By Phil Lutton  May 8, 2021

Brisbane Times - click to read more

2 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Sorry, but it is complete and utter nonsense to even contemplate that a whole Olympic Games, can be uprooted and transplanted to another city in another country in 75 days.

Seriously, are you guys completely out of your cotton picking minds?

No offence, but you’re dreaming.

It’s not going to happen, even if some publicity seeking lunatic in Florida living in an alternate reality thinks it can.

The Tokyo Games are going ahead in a unique Olympic Bubble which they have been preparing meticulously for 12 months for on the basis of NO VACCINE being available.

The fact there is now a vaccine available  is a is a bonus for the organisers.

The Games are going ahead in Tokyo in 75 days time, as planned.

A petition is not going to change anything.

The Japanese Prime Minister just said last week to the US President that the Games are going ahead as planned in Tokyo.

The Japanese Organising Committee just said it.

The International Olympic Committee just said it.

It is nonsense, to think anything else, of course it is, and I'm not offended that you tell us its nonsense and we're out of our minds.  When that clown from Florida was dead serious in his own mind, that's when I took real offense.  Anyway, I measure the Games start from Day -2 which is now just 73 days away, it will be a Tuesday night 8PM in the eastern US and we will see your Australian women's softball team taking on the hosts.  

• Like 1

Japanese anti-Olympics campaign gains traction as pandemic simmers

More than 230,000 people have signed a Japanese petition calling for the Tokyo Olympics to be cancelled in the two days since it was launchedonline, as public concerns mount over holding the showpiece event during a pandemic.

With 11 weeks to go before the start of the Games, already postponed from 2020 due to the coronavirus, questions remain over how Tokyo can host the global gathering while keeping volunteers, athletes, officials and the Japanese public safe from COVID-19.

Organised by Kenji Utsunomiya, a lawyer who has run several times for Tokyo governor, the "Stop Tokyo Olympics" petition has gathered more than 230,000 signatures.

"Japanese people tend to not voice our opinions but there are many people now speaking up. Together with voices from overseas, I hope the Olympics will be cancelled for now," he told Reuters.

Games organisers and the Japanese government have repeatedly said the event needs to go ahead, in part as a symbol of the world's triumph over the pandemic, and detailed COVID-19 protocols have been unveiled for participants.

But with a fourth wave heaping pressure on Japan's medical system amid a sluggish vaccination rate, Utsunomiya said he had received a call from an exhausted hospital worker on Friday morning, thanking him for pushing back against the Games.

PUBLIC SCEPTICISM

Opinion polls have found a majority of the Japanese public is opposed to the Games, which are due to open on July 23, read more and many in Tokyo were on Friday sceptical about whether they should go ahead, and wary about foreign visitors.

"It's absurd that we are holding the Olympics under the COVID pandemic," Katsumi Abiko, the 79-year-old owner of a kimono shop, told Reuters.

"If we make the decision now to cancel it, Japan will be praised for making the right decision and be remembered by history."

The government has extended a state of emergency in the capital and three other areas until the end of May.

Several other Tokyo residents shared Abiko's concerns, including 84-year-old Yoshihiro Nagao, though he believes that, on balance, the Olympics should go ahead.

"It's safer not to do it, but since we've come this far, we all want to work hand in hand and succeed," he said.

In that spirit of cooperation, Pfizer Inc (PFE.N) and its German partner BioNTech SE said on Thursday they had agreed to donate their vaccine to inoculate participants.

Date:May 8,2021

News source:Reuters

Link to this article:https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/anti-olympics-campaign-gains-traction-online-japan-2021-05-07/

1 hour ago, Palette86 said:

That may be so, but traction or no traction, petition or no petition, 
these Olympic Games are still going ahead inside the Olympic bubble.

A decision will be made soon on spectators from within Japan - how many allowed at each venue.

2 hours ago, Palette86 said:

They could have 10 million signatures and it probably wouldn't matter.  Follow the money.  If the sponsors and other companies funding the Olympics are still invested, the Olympics will go ahead regardless of what individuals want.  There would have to a major change in the course of the pandemic for the Olympics to get cancelled

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

The corrupt Coates has spoken, dead may pile up on the streets, but the Olympics will go ahead

What an idiotic comment.

Do you really think that will happen on the streets of Japan? 

Serioudly mate, get a grip on reality.

Your comment is off-the-chart ridiculous.

I don't think Japan will host the Olympics (neithe summer nor winter) anytime soon after this mess. Public opinion will remain very negative for many years ahead and I don't see any bid from Japan to host for at least a couple of decades to soar on. This whole thing reeks heavily on greed and desperation from organizations to get their share of money. I was hoping Tokyo 2020 could patch things up after a messy decade for Olympism but seems like it will be the opossite. And then there is Beijing 2022 right on the corner with a host threatening to "punish the world" if we don't go to their birthday party.

I'm already focusing in Paris, Cortina and LA in all honesty. That is if this virus is finally under control by then.

2 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

I don't think Japan will host the Olympics (neithe summer nor winter) anytime soon after this mess. Public opinion will remain very negative for many years ahead and I don't see any bid from Japan to host for at least a couple of decades to soar on. This whole thing reeks heavily on greed and desperation from organizations to get their share of money. I was hoping Tokyo 2020 could patch things up after a messy decade for Olympism but seems like it will be the opossite. And then there is Beijing 2022 right on the corner with a host threatening to "punish the world" if we don't go to their birthday party.

I'm already focusing in Paris, Cortina and LA in all honesty. That is if this virus is finally under control by then.

It's a shame for the IOC since it means they lose a viable Winter host in Sapporo.  Who knows when we might see them again.

This all is a shame for Tokyo because they could have put on a wonderful Olympics, but thanks to the pandemic, history will probably view these Olympics in a fairly negative light through no fault of Japan.  And then maybe 40 of 50 years from now, they'll get another shot to do it right, but hard to envision that at this point.

Part of the draw of the Olympics for me is the build-up and anticipation.  Would think having 2 Olympics in close proximity to each other would be great, but I'm with you.. in many ways, I just want to move on to Paris and hope for the best there.  I trust that once the Olympics start, I can focus on that rather than all the background noise and negative press that always accompanies a lead-up to the Olympics.  But I'm fairly certain all that background noise will infiltrate the games ans as much as I can probably tune it out, it's going to give the event a bad name and reputation and a lot of people will likely sour on it.  Which is a darn shame as an American because this is the first Summer Olympics since LA was awarded 2028, so it would be nice to start that build-up, but that's unlikely to happen now

Too bad that the new stadia may not see grand debuts and use.  As for the Village, well, the would-have been owners have already been inconvenienced for a year, so I bet they are just as eager to take possession of their units BEFORE any athletes have defaced and messed up their units.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 5/9/2021 at 8:56 PM, Ikarus360 said:

Japan has been long-dreamed of becoming an Olympic host for the first time since 1964, but with that virus being originated in Wuhan, in my theory, it seems China had attempted not only to divide the world, but to ultimately disrupt Tokyo's Games in order for Beijing to prioritize the Winter Games in 2022. Once more, COVID-19 had ruined Japan's Olympic dreams that began in the Buenos Aires announcement in 2013, since they are still reeling from the catastrophic events of 11 March 2011.

This is why the IOC should be more careful on choosing host cities, or the reputation of the Games would be in peril. Again, they should need more reforms on picking cities while reducing and maintaining costs, not by the way of greed. If you see Brisbane being picked as the 'preferred bidder' for the 2032 Olympics, it's not transparent, so the bidding format should revert back to the way it was before the Monte Carlo IOC session, but in a modified way, a bidder would not only apply to a single city, but an entire state or province, and being taken place nationwide or co-hosting with an another country would also help. 

There are three scenarios that Japan should pick as a concept for their possible bid for a future Olympics:

1. What if Japan staged the Games in an entire prefecture or region? The Philippines used that concept when the country hosted the 2019 SEA Games, with the opening ceremony being taken place in the 55,000-seater Philippine Arena in Bulacan, while the athletics competitions being held in the New Clark City Sports Hub, in Tarlac. Both Bulacan and Tarlac are in the island of Luzon, and is located north, and bordered with Metro Manila. In this case, Japan should pick either Tokyo or Yokohama for the athletics events, since both stadiums had the capacity that exceeded more than 60,000+ seats, while the volleyball tournament would likely be moved to Nagoya, as the city will host the 2026 Asian Games.

2. When it comes to existing venues, that would be an Olympics being taken place nationwide or selected cities, and this concept is based on the host city format of the FIFA World Cup. It would also be okay for them to use the same venues that will be used for 2020, but in addition, some sports and events would likely be moved away somewhere else from Tokyo, and that would depend on a city's experiences of hosting international competition. For example, aquatics would be moved to Fukuoka, since the city will stage the 2022 World Aquatics Championships, handball would be held in Kumamoto, which had hosted both the Handball Men's World Championship in 1997, and the Women's World Championship in 2019, while the Olympic marathon would have to choose to either stay in Sapporo; just as in 2020, or to be held in either Tokyo or Osaka.

3. This scenario would likely boost chances and hopes for reconciliation, because here's a question, what if Japan would join North and South Korea to bid for the 2032 Olympics, or further Games? Japan and the Korean Peninsula are both in conflict for a long time, and if the Olympics celebrate peace and Tokyo 2020 being branded itself as the "Games of Recovery", why not 'reconciliation' be used as its theme? Here's an example of this unifying concept, both ceremonies would be held solely in separate stadiums, in which either Seoul or Pyongyang would host the opener, while either Tokyo or Yokohama would be the site of the closing ceremony. Some sports and events would be moved somewhere else in either both countries, but in significance of two countries sharing the honor of hosting the Games, athletics competitions would be held in both of the two hosts, with Korea staging the track events, while Japan would host the field events.

All of these would be helpful for Japan, but this is unless they would never repeat the same mistakes and mishaps just as in the lead-up to the 2020 Games, which was rescheduled to this year as a result of this pandemic. Also, if you look at a possible Vancouver 2030 bid, using finances from private sectors in order to invest the Games would be helpful too.

This is one valuable lesson that Japan should learn: Don't look down, and never look back to your bumpy and scandalous past; in a way of greed, but the best for all of you, is to sight further to a better and bright future; in a way of working or collaborating together.

2 hours ago, @SportNow786542 said:

Japan has been long-dreamed of becoming an Olympic host for the first time since 1964, but with that virus being originated in Wuhan, in my theory, it seems China had attempted not only to divide the world, but to ultimately disrupt Tokyo's Games in order for Beijing to prioritize the Winter Games in 2022. Once more, COVID-19 had ruined Japan's Olympic dreams that began in the Buenos Aires announcement in 2013, since they are still reeling from the catastrophic events of 11 March 2011.

This is why the IOC should be more careful on choosing host cities, or the reputation of the Games would be in peril. Again, they should need more reforms on picking cities while reducing and maintaining costs, not by the way of greed. If you see Brisbane being picked as the 'preferred bidder' for the 2032 Olympics, it's not transparent, so the bidding format should revert back to the way it was before the Monte Carlo IOC session, but in a modified way, a bidder would not only apply to a single city, but an entire state or province, and being taken place nationwide or co-hosting with an another country would also help. 

All of these would be helpful for Japan, but this is unless they would never repeat the same mistakes and mishaps just as in the lead-up to the 2020 Games, which was rescheduled to this year as a result of this pandemic. Also, if you look at a possible Vancouver 2030 bid, using finances from private sectors in order to invest the Games would be helpful too.

This is one valuable lesson that Japan should learn: Don't look down, and never look back to your bumpy and scandalous past; in a way of greed, but the best for all of you, is to sight further to a better and bright future; in a way of working or collaborating together.

Are you seriously suggesting that COVID not only was intentionally released into the world (you're not the first person to suggest that), but that China did it in hopes of screwing over Japan in hopes it would help their Olympic aspirations?  Not sure I can express just how batshit crazy that idea is if that's what you're suggesting.

Yes, this all is extremely unfortunate for Japan their Olympics will now be anything but a joyous celebration.  It's a separate conversation about the IOC and future Olympic hosts, although 1 thing you can be sure of is that Japan won't be in the running to be one of those hosts probably for a long long time.  And at the very least, the priority is getting through these Olympics rather than trying to figure out how to do 1 in a future.

1 thing to note.. you talk about a future host being more of a region or even more of a full country rather than just a single city.  That's already happening.  Look no further than the 2026 Winter bids.  2032 with Brisbane seems like it may fit that mold as well.  Any country or city/region at this point is welcome to present a plan such at that.  But they need to offer up to the IOC why it makes sense and why they should be the "preferred bidder" as the story goes now

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

1 thing to note.. you talk about a future host being more of a region or even more of a full country rather than just a single city.  That's already happening.  Look no further than the 2026 Winter bids.  2032 with Brisbane seems like it may fit that mold as well.  Any country or city/region at this point is welcome to present a plan such at that.  But they need to offer up to the IOC why it makes sense and why they should be the "preferred bidder" as the story goes now

Holding the Games in an entire country would also be a great idea especially for smaller nations, and would you imagine small countries like Qatar or even Switzerland (Home of the IOC) would host the Summer Olympics? That exception would be the city-state of Singapore, unless they would have to collaborate with Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia for a possible co-hosting bid.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1107813/sailing-ioc-tokyo-2020

This could be nothing but it's interesting the IOC has yet to respond to World Sailing's request for confirmation that the Tokyo Olympics will go ahead. Seems like with all the spin from Bach and Coates the IOC would've jumped on this. 

The financial wreckage surrounding Tokyo is getting clearer by the day. A study from Oxford University now pegs the Tokyo Olympics as surpassing Sochi as the most expensive Olympics in history. Of course the IOC will spin it with an asterisk blaming Covid-19 for everything despite the fact the costs were getting well out of control before the pandemic. Politically, Suga knows for his Liberal Democrat party to have any chance in the upcoming elections, they need an Olympics that will make the public forget the financial costs. Coates has been spinning this for a while paying no heed to the increasing opposition. 

I do find it interesting that Suga postponed a snap election until after the Olympics, probably to ward off the possibility of a landslide defeat leading to a new prime minister to cancelling the games. Just a few weeks ago, the Liberal Democratic Party lost three key seats in parliamentary by-elections, a likely sign of things to come. There's really no good solution here. Vaccines? It's a start but the logistics of vaccinating all the athletes before the Olympics is a logistical challenge. It also creates a PR headache for the IOC now that athletes are jumping the line in countries that are struggling to vaccinate their own populations.

https://www.scmp.com/sport/other-sport/article/3133377/why-tokyo-thinks-2020-olympics-show-must-go-even-covid-19-booms

Interesting note from the article above. A cancellation would mean the IOC would owe huge sums of money to the likes of NBC since the IOC gets most of its income from broadcasting rights, money they don't have. Does the IOC have an insurance policy on this? I would imagine in the event of a cancellation, NBC would want some form of compensation if not all their money. Could this lead to a messy court battle?