Tokyo 2020 News - General

Is it weird that there's less than 3 weeks to go, some of the athletes are already there, the BBC trailer is out (surest sign the Games are on the way for us), the torch is on its journey, and the ceremony stage is being built, and yet I'm still having doubts about whether the Games will go ahead at all? I certainly can't get as excited for it as usual, it's such a shame. Maybe they should've taken advantage of the Q*tar world cup and postponed Tokyo by two years instead of one :(

Sad about the build up to the Games, there is going to be some memorable competition- all the middle/long distance records will fall (because of the new carbon shoes), there will be superstars like Simon Biles, swimming is looking fiercely competitive and fast between the US and Australia etc..... a lot to look forward to!

14 hours ago, yoshi said:

Is it weird that there's less than 3 weeks to go, some of the athletes are already there, the BBC trailer is out (surest sign the Games are on the way for us), the torch is on its journey, and the ceremony stage is being built, and yet I'm still having doubts about whether the Games will go ahead at all? I certainly can't get as excited for it as usual, it's such a shame. Maybe they should've taken advantage of the Q*tar world cup and postponed Tokyo by two years instead of one :(

In hindsight, maybe that would have been an option, but who knew that the pandemic would have failed to clear itself up after a year.  At the time, a 1 year postponement seemed like the most sensible option.  2 years would have been difficult on Tokyo.

At this point, there are no doubts anymore.  There will be an Olympics.  Like Hans said, the variable is how many people will be able to attend.  I agree that the lead up has been marred by all sorts of negativity and at this point, so hopefully once the Games begin, we can start celebrating the athletes and the competition rather than bemoaning all the bad things associated with these Olympics and the legions of people looking for any reason for this all to not happen.

I sympathize with the Japanese people because they're being put in a terrible position - as much by their own leadership as the IOC - and pray for everyone involved that they all stay safe.

On 7/6/2021 at 12:44 AM, yoshi said:

I'm still having doubts about whether the Games will go ahead at all?

9 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

At this point, there are no doubts anymore.  There will be an Olympics.

I'm making a sort of in between post here.  I still think the Games will take place.  But until the actual start of competition, just 14 days from now on Day -2, evening of July 20 in the Eastern US, I can't bring myself to make my plans around the fact the Games will take place.  For example, my time off from work is approved, and there is no chance I would be needed to work those 2 weeks.  But I can just as easily tell my boss, oh, forget abut me taking the 2 weeks off, I'll be working on July 26.  

1 hour ago, Triplecast said:

I'm making a sort of in between post here.  I still think the Games will take place.  But until the actual start of competition, just 14 days from now on Day -2, evening of July 20 in the Eastern US, I can't bring myself to make my plans around the fact the Games will take place.  For example, my time off from work is approved, and there is no chance I would be needed to work those 2 weeks.  But I can just as easily tell my boss, oh, forget abut me taking the 2 weeks off, I'll be working on July 26.  

Here's my thing.  Right now, there's no TV schedule, which makes it a little hard for me to plan my watching/sleep schedule.  I know when all the events are, but it doesn't get real until I see it in the TV listings.  Those TV listings are coming though.  We are way past the point of no return where barring an unthinkable catastrophe, the Games will go on.  There's zero reason to think otherwise.

That said, is it possible or maybe even probable that some events will get postponed or even cancelled?  Absolutely.  I don't expect the whole of these Olympics to go off without a hitch.  But you're like me and taking time off to follow the Olympics.  Unless you're so zoned in on a particular event or athlete, you have nothing at all to worry about.

No spectators at marathons and race walks, Games at risk of more curbs

World Athletics said on Tuesday that it was surprised by the "seemingly inconsistent" decision to ask spectators to stay away from the marathon and race walk at the Tokyo Olympics, outdoor events that are hugely popular in Japan.

Organisers had earlier asked the public not to gather on the streets for the events to reduce the risk of infection amid the COVID-19 pandemic, after a technical working group meeting with Hokkaido prefectural and Sapporo city authorities and police.

The decision is a blow to fans in a country where the marathon has gained in popularity in recent years, after Naoko Takahashi and Mizuki Noguchi won gold in the women's event in 2000 and 2004 respectively.

"World Athletics is surprised by this new decision about our events in Sapporo, which is seemingly inconsistent with the decision to allow up to 10,000 spectators in venues in Tokyo, many of which are indoor venues," the athletics governing body said in a statement.

"We'll discuss this decision as soon as possible as it would be a great shame not to have spectators for the race walk and marathon in Sapporo given the popularity of both disciplines in Japan and the fact they are being held outdoors."

The race walks will be held on Aug. 5-6 and the marathon races on Aug. 7.

Japan is also considering barring all but VIP spectators from the Games' opening ceremony, a newspaper said, another downgrade for the Olympics that have had their pomp and spectacle tarnished by the novel coronavirus.

Once promoted as an extravaganza to showcase Japan to the world, the Games appear in danger of taking place largely without spectators in a country closed to visitors from abroad because of the pandemic and with areas around Tokyo still under restrictions.

The Games, already delayed a year, are set to open on July 23 despite concern that an influx of thousands of people from around the world could trigger new waves of infections.

Plans for the opening ceremony remain under wraps but the Asahi newspaper, ahead of talks with the International Olympic Committee and other organisers, reported that the government would slash the number of VIPs, such as sponsors' guests and diplomats, at the ceremony from an initial estimate of about 10,000.

During the Games, events at large venues and those after 9 p.m. would also be held without spectators, the paper said, citing multiple unidentified government sources.

Organisers have already banned overseas spectators and set a cap on domestic spectators at 50% of capacity, up to 10,000 people.

With the public nervous about new clusters of infections, medical experts have said no spectators would be the least risky option.

The question of spectators is due to be decided at five-way talks also expected on Thursday that will include the Tokyo governor and IOC President Thomas Bach, who arrives in Japan that day.

The government looks likely to decide on Thursday to extend a state of quasi-emergency in Tokyo and three nearby prefectures beyond an original end-date of July 11, government sources have said.

Kyodo News reported that the extension would likely last a month, meaning the curbs will be in place throughout the Olympics, which close with a ceremony on Aug. 8.

Date:July 6,2021

News source:Reuters

Link to this article:https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/japan-arranging-opening-ceremony-without-spectators-except-vips-paper-2021-07-06/

Japan likely to stage no-spectator Olympics at venues in Tokyo

Japan is expected to stage the Olympics without spectators at venues in Tokyo due to a recent surge in coronavirus infections, a senior government official said Wednesday.

The scenario is most likely as the Japanese government has decided to declare another COVID-19 state emergency for Tokyo.

The Olympics are due to begin on July 23. Some venues of the games are located outside Tokyo.

Date:July 7,2021

News source: The Mainichi

Link to this article:https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210707/p2g/00m/0sp/064000c

On 5/9/2021 at 8:56 AM, Ikarus360 said:

I don't think Japan will host the Olympics (neithe summer nor winter) anytime soon after this mess. Public opinion will remain very negative for many years ahead and I don't see any bid from Japan to host for at least a couple of decades to soar on. This whole thing reeks heavily on greed and desperation from organizations to get their share of money. I was hoping Tokyo 2020 could patch things up after a messy decade for Olympism but seems like it will be the opossite. And then there is Beijing 2022 right on the corner with a host threatening to "punish the world" if we don't go to their birthday party.

Atlanta 1996 and Salt Lake City 2002: Are we a joke to you?

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

These will be the QUIETEST Games on record!  Will they allow the vuvuzuelas? But Japan will be ready for the Deaflympics!!  

Welcome! | ICSD (deaflympics.com)

Speaking of the Deaflympics, the 2021 Summer Deaflympics had to be moved to 2022 because of major sportings events that was postponed from 2020 such as the Olympics and it is going to be in Brazil.

https://www.deaflympics.com/news/postponement-of-the-2021-summer-deaflympics

23 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Here's my thing.  Right now, there's no TV schedule, which makes it a little hard for me to plan my watching/sleep schedule.  I know when all the events are, but it doesn't get real until I see it in the TV listings.  Those TV listings are coming though.  We are way past the point of no return where barring an unthinkable catastrophe, the Games will go on.  There's zero reason to think otherwise.

That said, is it possible or maybe even probable that some events will get postponed or even cancelled?  Absolutely.  I don't expect the whole of these Olympics to go off without a hitch.  But you're like me and taking time off to follow the Olympics.  Unless you're so zoned in on a particular event or athlete, you have nothing at all to worry about.

With me and the Olympics, its always been athletics first, then everything else.  But I'm not honed in on anything or anyone in particular beyond that.  I do want to follow/watch as much softball and baseball as I can, both for the US-Japan rivalry and the Israeli baseball team.   But of course there are many storylines across many sports to follow, keeping up with all of them is an almost impossible task.

As to specific events being postponed or cancellled, I had not given that any thought till now, but of course you are right.  Until now, I had only really thought about the whole Games being cancelled, not anythng specific.

As for TV listings, my NBCSN listings have non-stop Olympics starting at 7AM Eastern on Monday July 19.  Even though the first event is not until 8PM on Tuesday July 20.   

I'm still a little optimistic about these Games, though a little concerned for the Japanese people after these Games as well as the athletes.

The JOC will probably end up dropping out the 2030 Winter Olympic bidding race probably cos of these Games and their mammoth-sized impact on the Japanese economy.

Just now, Shiruba98 said:

I'm still a little optimistic about these Games, though a little concerned for the Japanese people after these Games as well as the athletes.

The JOC will probably end up dropping out the 2030 Winter Olympic bidding race probably cos of these Games and their mammoth-sized impact on the Japanese economy.

Since I can't edit posts, which is dumb. I was gonna say, if Sapporo drops out, it'll be up to either Vancouver or the triple bid from Barcelona and the French-Andorran Pyrenees to fight for the right to host.

5 hours ago, WD96 said:

To compare the Atlanta Games to Tokyo and to even have them in the same article as Berlin 1936 is a huge insult to myself and the people of Atlanta and Georgia. Atlanta has more positives than negatives and was a more successful games than Athens, Beijing, Rio and now Tokyo.

They are still the games that have sold the most tickets of all time

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shiruba98 said:

Since I can't edit posts, which is dumb. I was gonna say, if Sapporo drops out, it'll be up to either Vancouver or the triple bid from Barcelona and the French-Andorran Pyrenees to fight for the right to host.

or Salt Lake City :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Palette86 said:

Breaking news.

Tokyo 2020ne will be held with no spectators all in Tokyo,Chiba,Saitama and Kanagawa.:(

Well, the inevitable is happening.
Wonder what this will mean for the ceremonies?