125th Session - live chat

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awww, a pity to see those sad faces in the athlete members of the Spanish delegation and in Madrid. :(

I don't think there'll be a fourth try for Madrid, especially after this harsh result. What could they show new in a fourth attempt that they haven't now and in 2009? Even more compact masterplan with all venues built?

Well, any city that is eliminated would be very sad... so ...

About Madrid, I think that now it is a time for self reflexion and I dont know if there will be a fourth attempt for Madrid or not. The fact that 80% of the venues were built is not that important in my opinion and I never used it to defend Madrid. It's nobody's fault that they built in in advance, even if there are being used right now to host other championships. In a way I felt that the presentation from Madrid was not what I expected and anyway, I think it wouldnt affect too much the vote.

I really hope that Istanbul can really deliver a good games without any problems due to political uncertainty and that if the chosen is Tokyo, it is really true that radiation from Fukushima doesnt get worse. If thats not the case, we will have some really huge problems for the 2020 games.

Very very very close. I wouldn't be surprised if Tokyo escaped elimination itself on that first round by a vote or two.

We're talking of a vote split ranging from 24-24-46 to 31-31-32.

Exactly. It all depends on the breakdown of the first round. Did Tokyo have 46 votes or 32? If they were closer to 46, then Istanbul must pick up almost all of Madrid's votes. If Tokyo was closer to 32, Istanbul needs fewer votes to win.

Personally, I think more Madrid voters will favor Istanbul than Tokyo, but that's meaningless unless we know how big Tokyo's lead was in the first round.

It could go either way, but my feeling all along has been that if Istanbul could get into the final they had a great shot of winning.

Could someone confirm if the rules of the votes allow the number of votes of the tie breaker to be announced before the final vote ?

I don't think that is an issue. The IOC members probably need to know the result of the tie immediately, considering it is a head-to-head elimination of just two candidates that already tied. They need to feel confident that going into the next round, the city going forward is the one that should go forward. Like how in the 2004 race, Cape Town got ahead of Buenos Aries after their bottom tie in the first round, and then Cape Town made it passed Stockholm in the next round.

Exactly. It all depends on the breakdown of the first round. Did Tokyo have 46 votes or 32? If they were closer to 46, then Istanbul must pick up almost all of Madrid's votes. If Tokyo was closer to 32, Istanbul needs fewer votes to win.

Personally, I think more Madrid voters will favor Istanbul than Tokyo, but that's meaningless unless we know how big Tokyo's lead was in the first round.

It could go either way, but my feeling all along has been that if Istanbul could get into the final they had a great shot of winning.

Simple self-interest, surely, would dictate that a lot of madrid backers will move their votes to Tokyo to maximise Europe's chances for 2024.

I think many votes from the Americas will move from Madrid to Tokyo. Spanish votes will be self-serving and vote Tokyo. Its the African and Asian blocks that voted Madrid that could be critical.

I think many votes from the Americas will move from Madrid to Tokyo. Spanish votes will be self-serving and vote Tokyo. Its the African and Asian blocks that voted Madrid that could be critical.

I disagree. I think many votes from the Americas will move from Madrid to Istanbul, to further the chance of a North American bid in 2024.

Archived