Sign in to follow this  
Citius Altius Fortius

125th Session - live chat

Mass confusion in press centre as Turkish Journalists under mistaken belief that Istanbul had won, not quite understanding the process.

- Rogge did say Istanbul had been elected

I can't believe the IOC in eliminating Madrid 2020, I believe they have lost an opportunity, In all due respect to Tokyo (whom I endorsed for 2016), they are now the only choice left. To elect Istanbul would be a cataclysmic mistake of epic proportions.

Electing an economicaly crippled country would had also been a mistake.

Tokyo's going to win. After the "risk" they took after picking Rio the last time I highly doubt they will want to go into another adventure with the "new frontiers" thing and will go for the safest option this time. If you want a "new frontier" games again, wait for 2024.

Mass confusion in press centre as Turkish Journalists under mistaken belief that Istanbul had won, not quite understanding the process.

- Rogge did say Istanbul had been elected

Yes, I can see how that would be confusing!

Also it should have been announced that members were voting FOR a city.

One member he complains he couldn't vote and the vote comes down to one vote!

dodgy all around.

Very very very close. I wouldn't be surprised if Tokyo escaped elimination itself on that first round by a vote or two.

We're talking of a vote split ranging from 24-24-46 to 31-31-32.

So there was a tie between Madrid and Istanbul, where eventually Istanbul won 49 to 45 votes. Will there be enough votes to swing votes away from Tokyo to Istanbul?? I really hope so....

It was the Japanese guy I guess. He could vote between Madrid and Istanbul.

They can only vote after the candidate of their own country has been eliminated.

What was the result of Tokyo vs Istanbul ?

And why did Rogge give the number of votes by the way. I thought the rule was to give only the result and to give the figures AFTER the proclamation of the host city.

I think Rogge violated some rules by giving the number of votes for Istanbul and Madrid before the final vote.

Awww, a pity to see those sad faces in the athlete members of the Spanish delegation and in Madrid. :(

I don't think there'll be a fourth try for Madrid, especially after this harsh result. What could they show new in a fourth attempt that they haven't now and in 2009? Even more compact masterplan with all venues built?

Wow! This is so sad... Poor Madrid, I really hope they host someday, the problem is the timming with Barcelona 92... Now Paris 2024 is alive!

GO ISTANBUL GO GET IT!

How do we usually get the exact round-by-round vote breakdowns?

They will announce all round vote totals following the announcement of the host city, so say around 4:15-4:30 PM Eastern for that.

So its all about the however many members who voted for Madrid in the first round 1. Will they go to Tokyo or Istanbul?