Beijing 2022 Ceremonies

Everyone, especially the athletes, are going to be very cautious, about exposing themselves to Covid.  Neither do the generally older membership of the IOC and the Commie Party.  Then, there are always less athletes in a WOGs.  I think they will march in 1500 athletes very quickly -- rush the rest of the Ceremony; and then bring the curtains down.  Plus, Feb 3 is a THURSDAY -- highly unuusal, so even NBC isn't expecting to make a killing on this Opening.  

If the Tokyo 2020’s torch relay was the one with the lowest excitement ever, Beijing 2022’s definitely doesn’t exist.
The decision to shorten the relay on just 3 days, arises again what I have been telling even before the pandemic: torch relay MUST have a dramatic change, MUST be redesigned, MUST be rescheduled.
We all know the Olympics are not any more what they used to be in the 80’s, 90’s and 2000s, where a thrilling atmosphere surrounded all what was related to them. After countless scandals of corruptions and over costs, got exhausted the general audience (no mention the descendent audiences on TV spectators). Torch relays ARE part of the problem
May the torch relay, since now on, should be shortened to the host city, or may arise a real popular participation in activities that involve spectators in a real way…. I don’t know.
Definitely, Beijing 2022 torch relay is the death of the torch relay as we know it so far.

https://olympics.com/ioc/faq/beijing-2022/what-is-the-route-of-the-beijing-2022-olympic-torch-relay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nacholympic said:

If the Tokyo 2020’s torch relay was the one with the lowest excitement ever, Beijing 2022’s definitely doesn’t exist.
The decision to shorten the relay on just 3 days, arises again what I have been telling even before the pandemic: torch relay MUST have a dramatic change, MUST be redesigned, MUST be rescheduled.
We all know the Olympics are not any more what they used to be in the 80’s, 90’s and 2000s, where a thrilling atmosphere surrounded all what was related to them. After countless scandals of corruptions and over costs, got exhausted the general audience (no mention the descendent audiences on TV spectators). Torch relays ARE part of the problem
May the torch relay, since now on, should be shortened to the host city, or may arise a real popular participation in activities that involve spectators in a real way…. I don’t know.
Definitely, Beijing 2022 torch relay is the death of the torch relay as we know it so far.

https://olympics.com/ioc/faq/beijing-2022/what-is-the-route-of-the-beijing-2022-olympic-torch-relay

Torch relay in 2020 and 2022 have been downgraded because of the pandemic, not the lack of interest of public in the olympics. I don't think it should be redesigned, in fact torch relay will probably come back to normal in 2024, that perception that olympics have a lack of interest in public is mostly caused because we hadn't seen a normal olympics with spectators in almost 4 years, but public still have interest in watching (not hosting) the event.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

Nah.  Paris/Estanguet is going to make a big thing of this.  And it's easy enough to do an old-fashioned several weeks relay in France because it's a relatively compact country.  And they have all those Tour de France workers who know how to run an extensive relay in the summer.  Winter is too hard, that's why China is doing a short version.  

8 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

More like the CCP are cowards and wanted to avoid zero risks of the relay getting disrupted by Uyghur or Tibet activists. In a world much more globalized than in 2008, its not insane to think this could still happen inside China, even with all the restrictions.

However I agree with you that the torch relay cannot be a massive road as in compared in the past anymore either way, since it just adds more to the pile of expenses the host country must do, and for an event more and more people, specially the young, just don't care about anymore.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, munichfan said:

Oh, seems like the time stamp gets lost when you have to go to YouTube. Flame lighting starts at around 4:35.

Anyway, I would be very surprised to see an ice rink. It just doesn't fit the story we know they are telling, like, at all.

Disagree.  I saw an NBC promo for the Opening Ceremony last night and it specifically referenced "Ice and Fire".  Which, apart from making me think of Game of Thrones, makes me think the speculation about an ice rink and a very fiery cauldron lighting are spot on.

12 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Everyone, especially the athletes, are going to be very cautious, about exposing themselves to Covid.  Neither do the generally older membership of the IOC and the Commie Party.  Then, there are always less athletes in a WOGs.  I think they will march in 1500 athletes very quickly -- rush the rest of the Ceremony; and then bring the curtains down.  Plus, Feb 3 is a THURSDAY -- highly unuusal, so even NBC isn't expecting to make a killing on this Opening.  

Opening Ceremonies are the evening of Feb 4th local time.  Per NBCOlympics.com's schedule, I can watch it live at 4am PST, which means, just like the last two East Asian Olympics, the primetime broadcast will be on Friday evening.  

2 hours ago, Karenina said:

Opening Ceremonies are the evening of Feb 4th local time.  Per NBCOlympics.com's schedule, I can watch it live at 4am PST, which means, just like the last two East Asian Olympics, the primetime broadcast will be on Friday evening.  

Why do they keep announcing FEBRUARY 3rd?  So, it would start on Thursday, PST.  

2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Why do they keep announcing FEBRUARY 3rd?  So, it would start on Thursday, PST.  

February 3 is when NBC starts to air the preliminary competitions (which actually start on the 2nd, but it seems like NBC is going to skip that day)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Another sneak peak

Seems like some kind of stage was built at the left stands of the Bird Nest. Hard to tell what they're planning to do there besides those flagpoles

There appears to be a hole or opening cut out of the stadium roof (circled) above where the scaffolding near the flagpoles.

Are these openings in the stadium roof part of the original design, or is it new ?

Through the hole in the stadium roof you can clearly see through to outside the stadium.  

The scaoffolding, up to the hole in the stadium roof and then right outside the stadium is that narrow crane-like tower structure with the two permanent towers nearby.

This is a puzzle ….

6wtL2wp.jpg

6wtL2wp.jpg

20 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

There appears to be a hole or opening cut out of the stadium roof (circled) above where the scaffolding near the flagpoles.

Are these openings in the stadium roof part of the original design, or is it new ?

Through the hole in the stadium roof you can clearly see through to outside the stadium.  .

It seems like they've been there for a while -

Beijing-National-Stadium-interior.jpg

You can sort of see them here, before the stadium underwent ceremony prep work

Also, those specific flagpoles are probably not going to be used for the ceremony, as they seem to be the leftover victory ceremony poles from 2008

As for the scaffolding next to the stage, it's probably there to support the structure while it was being built and for tech work during the construction of the set design

• Like 1

The upcoming situation proves what another WHITE ELEPHANT Birds Nest is.  A beautiful state-of-the-art 75,000 stadium only to house a scaled down ceremony, 100 mins long and playing to maybe 1,000 people.  They could've held it at a movie theater!!  Goes to show how f*cked up the planet is and how OBSOLETE Track and Field as an Olympic sport really is.  Time to remove T&F from the SOG roster as well.  

12 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Wait, the stadium won't be full for these ceremonies?

There will be no foreign spectators and no ticket sales to the public. Organisers want to invite guests, but there has been no mention of how many that will be. China is vigorously cautious (some say paranoid) these days concerning Covid. So I expect no more than maybe 10% occupation.

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The upcoming situation proves what another WHITE ELEPHANT Birds Nest is.  A beautiful state-of-the-art 75,000 stadium only to house a scaled down ceremony, 100 mins long and playing to maybe 1,000 people.  They could've held it at a movie theater!!  **Goes to show how f*cked up the planet is** and how OBSOLETE Track and Field as an Olympic sport really is.  Time to remove T&F from the SOG roster as well.  

I totally agree. I always SMH of how much graft & waste there is in this world nowadays. And not just speaking of the Olympics, but perfectly good things being destroyed or “updated” just because it’s not up with the latest trends, or not being “the latest & greatest”, or not having all the bells & whistles.

I always Laff at the people who have to “upgrade” their smartphone every year, for example. It’s not like the innovations every year are leaps & bounds ahead of the prior years models, like they maybe were when they first came out just over a decade ago. Some people just put too much emphasis on status symbols & keeping up with the Jones’.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Karenina said:

Disagree.  I saw an NBC promo for the Opening Ceremony last night and it specifically referenced "Ice and Fire".  Which, apart from making me think of Game of Thrones, makes me think the speculation about an ice rink and a very fiery cauldron lighting are spot on.

Because of the time zones are different between Beijing, Los Angeles and New York, that's why it will be on the 3rd at 4PM Los Angeles time and 7PM New York time.

1 hour ago, SportLightning said:

Because of the time zones are different between Beijing, Los Angeles and New York, that's why it will be on the 3rd at 4PM Los Angeles time and 7PM New York time.

No, you are wrong and, apparently, lack basic math skills.  Beijing is 17 hours ahead of the West Coast.  A ceremony that starts at 9pm Beijing time on 2/4 will start at 4am Pacific time on 2/4.  

The coverage that starts on 2/3 in the evening here in the US will be live in Beijing on the morning of 2/4.  Trust me, I've got the Figure Skating events already saved on my phone calendar and the FS Team Event starts 2/3 at 6pm Pacific, which is 11am on 2/4 in Beijing.