Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games

Rob2012

18 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

What about Lima 2019? They were the last "TRUE" Games... anyway... things have changed a bit from then.... I think ceremonies will follow the "simplicity" tendency, taken to its fullest in Tokyo Olympics OC...

Ceremonies will not go back to pre 2020 levels (and they were already getting heavily simplified anyway thanks to the Sochi scandal in part). At least not in a long time. 

To be honest its better this way. There are far bigger problems in the world right now and sadly Covid isn't even the only or the bigger one now, so its not a luxury wecan really have now. Fun ceremonies can still be done with a decent budget, however, and at least it might finally force creative teams to stop depending so much on technology and projections for good. 

50 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Ceremonies will not go back to pre 2020 levels (and they were already getting heavily simplified anyway thanks to the Sochi scandal in part). At least not in a long time. 

To be honest its better this way. There are far bigger problems in the world right now and sadly Covid isn't even the only or the bigger one now, so its not a luxury wecan really have now. Fun ceremonies can still be done with a decent budget, however, and at least it might finally force creative teams to stop depending so much on technology and projections for good. 

As if russia fighting ukraine was an excuse for paris to make lame ceremonies

That looks like a really good site - very close to the city centre too. I feel like especially after the Olympics it could've done with something like BMX or skateboarding in there just to add to it, maybe even climbing...although the whole concept of beach volleyball in Birmingham will never not be funny :lol:

As an aside, does anyone know if there's gonna be any kind of official souvenir programme for the Games, like there was for Glasgow and for the London Olympics? I have looked around but now we're in games month I think it's time to ask. I know for the other two games it was available in Smith's all over the country but I am able to get to Brum fairly easily if it'd only be available in the Games megastore - thank you :)

Edited by yoshi

OK…. This year happens something very unusual and probably it will never happen again:

We have 2 multi-sport games under the same name: BIRMINGHAM 2022.

Due to the postponed World Games in Alabama, USA, the games originally cheduled for 2021 will take lace in July 2022, as the Commonwealth games which will be opened just few days later under the same name, but under the original schedule.

Next July 7 is the Opening ceremony for the World Games and 3 weeks later the Commonwealth Games.

That’s weird!

800px-The_World_Games_2022_Birmingham_-_

_108086692_july27-birmingham2022commonwe

It's gonna be like that one person who went to Pyongyang instead of PyeongChang.... I bet someone is gonna arrive in Birmingham AL expecting to watch the CWG and vice versa

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 8:31 AM, Bear said:

those rings on the venue look design...

cgMt84L.png

remind me of something...

Hide contents

EAg2hxUWkAYnUbR.jpg

lol. It also reminds me of the Torino 2006 emblem

1 minute ago, BigVic said:

Opening Ceremony will be 10 years and a day since the London 2012 Olympics. Looking forward to it. An Opening Ceremony with an audience at the Alexander Stadium and a non-bubble environment as we saw in the last two Olympics. 

Hopefully it is more like Glasgow or London and not just a pop concert

On 7/19/2022 at 11:54 PM, Scotguy II said:

Duran Duran will headline the opening ceremony..... i hope this is not just a big concert.

I heard of them before. The band behind coupe of hit songs including "Hungry Like The Wolf", "Rio", "Ordinary World", "Come Undone" and more.

the white / beige central oval seems like a projection surface and the structure being built on the bottom of the stands in the right vaguely looks like the glastonbury tor from london 2012

Finally an Opening Ceremony to look forward to after two underwhelming Olympic Games ceremony due to obvious reasons. No Fencing 1976 and long parade of athletes for the CG. Weather should be cloudy for the Ceremony itself 

In Australia Seven will air the Opening Ceremony but in Perth it'll be on delay on OTA linear TV but live-streamed on 7Plus. 

2 hours ago, BigVic said:

Weather should be cloudy for the Ceremony itself 

It's England, you wouldn't have it any other way! :lol: The central stage there looks quite small - I hope there's more to this than just a concert of Duran Duran, there's much more to the Midlands than that.

(Shame London had the idea for Pandemonium first, the first smelting of iron at Coalbrookdale and the inspiration of Coubertin at Much Wenlock are both West Midlands if you're gonna be all local about it :P)