Paris 2024

If you think Expos leave a better legacy than the Olympics, you haven't walked around the abandoned acres of the OTT Seville World Expo site.... I think every event needs to be judged on its indidual merits.

That/s unfair. No World's Fair has ever had like its 50 or so Pavilions stay up after the appointed time. It's understood they are temporray and will be dismantled or torn down. Seville has done better than most in that the Expo 92 site became an R&D center, state and county gov't offices moved into some of the bldgs. There's at least a technical school or university campus there; and there are, from what I hear, one or 2 bldgs left-over that are dedicated to the event in 1992. Except for the Eiffel Tower and the Grand Palais, the Atomium, the Space Needle, the Unisphere, no other World's Fair structures were designed to hang around after the event.

The Atomium wasn't either, as I just learned last week when I was inside of it...

Anyway, I think it's again the current bad image of the IOC/Olympics that will probably lead to cities opting rather for a World Fair where they can at least create an air of modernisation and future as opposed to dealing with a mafiaesque organisation setting dated demands.

Reading on Twitter that French PM has said no to a 2024 bid, backing the 2025 Expo bid instead.

He didn't really say no to a 2024 SOG. What he did was to publicly voice his support for a 2025 Expo. He was supported in his stance by the Paris mayor.

French commentators have concluded that by making such a statement without waiting for the results of a feasibility study he was in fact burying the whole Paris 2024 project.

• Like 1

I would also say that a Paris 2024 bid would be a favorite, if not 'the' favorite, depending on who else was bidding. Paris isn't the only city that was deemed a favorite in a previous race & lost. So I wouldn't focus on the 2012 loss too much on a future bid. No one bids to lose, but obviously there's always just one winner at a time.

I would also say that a Paris 2024 bid would be a favorite, if not 'the' favorite, depending on who else was bidding. Paris isn't the only city that was deemed a favorite in a previous race & lost. So I wouldn't focus on the 2012 loss too much on a future bid. No one bids to lose, but obviously there's always just one winner at a time.

Who else would have to be in the field for Paris to not be a favorite, if not 'the' favorite? What other city do you think could enter the race and take some of that steam away from Paris (should Paris be in the field themselves)?

Who else would have to be in the field for Paris to not be a favorite, if not 'the' favorite? What other city do you think could enter the race and take some of that steam away from Paris (should Paris be in the field themselves)?

I've heard from a source here that Rome would be the favorite over Pairs. Of course, that source is an idiot child, but none the less....

• Like 1

I think Rome Italy would get the favour over Paris France, Rome is the Christian capital of the world most IOC members are Christian and and the only time that Rome bidded after the 1960 games was in 2004 going up against the home of the Olympics Games Athens Greece, I think the IOC members who are Christian and Roman Catholic would vote for Rome Italy so they can go to the Vatican and get an Olympics Games Mass like the IOC and Olympics Athletes did at the 1960 games with Pope John 23.

If you put in Religion in an factor then Rome would beat Paris by lightyears so from an spiritual factor Rome Italy got more appeal then Paris France.

I think Rome Italy would get the favour over Paris France, Rome is the Christian capital of the world most IOC members are Christian and and the only time that Rome bidded after the 1960 games was in 2004 going up against the home of the Olympics Games Athens Greece, I think the IOC members who are Christian and Roman Catholic would vote for Rome Italy so they can go to the Vatican and get an Olympics Games Mass like the IOC and Olympics Athletes did at the 1960 games with Pope John 23.

If you put in Religion in an factor then Rome would beat Paris by lightyears so from an spiritual factor Rome Italy got more appeal then Paris France.

Self Improvement thread...lack of Tony posts...favors Beijing...thinks Rome would win...bad spelling...GUYS GCL IS TONY!

There will always be another viable candidate against them and Paris like any other cities has to accept that.

We are used to the: "We won't make a bid if we don't think we can win" blabla from everyone. And it's pretty stupid to be honest.

The only way Paris or any major European city, or the USA cannot be contenders is when their continents isn't favored by the IOC geopolitics. Apart from that there is always hope but also there is always going to be at least one or two major contenders in the mix, a Rome, Madrid, Berlin, LA, Cape Town, and Shanghai to fight against them.

What Paris should really asked themselves is 'do they need these' rather than having them just because they want them. Is there a way this event can be used to revamp districts of the capitals, to improve transport, to create permanent jobs and obtain new contracts etc?

To be honest I think the city could use it but obtain the same things with spending less money. I think France's sport has really improved for decades now. We have basically decent teams in every collective sport, decent athletes in a lot of sports and he still on the rise. Paris's Defense district is still the first economical district of Europe and Paris is still in the most visited cities. France is the country with most visitors in the world.

Would the Olympics really improve that much what's basically doing the best in France?

Paris had two serious bids and was rejected twice, maybe it's better for us to go Madrid's way and focus on others things and just accept that the IOC just prefers to go to different places.

We are used to the: "We won't make a bid if we don't think we can win" blabla from everyone. And it's pretty stupid to be honest.

I guess it seems pretty stupid to many on the surface. But when you're putting your best foot forward, especially mutilple times, with your hard work & dedication, then it doesn't seem that stupid afterall. No one likes to lose under those circumstances. And surely Paris & the U.S., for examples, would be somewhat warranted in thinking that way. It's only human nature.

I guess it seems pretty stupid to many on the surface. But when you're putting your best foot forward, especially mutilple times, with your hard work & dedication, then it doesn't seem that stupid afterall. No one likes to lose under those circumstances. And surely Paris & the U.S., for examples, would be somewhat warranted in thinking that way. It's only human nature.

Yes but that's denying two simple truth about olympics bids. Firstly that there is others countries able to do one as good as you and Secondly there will be one great bid for at least one of those countries.

No one is denying that the US can win an olympic bid for example, but there is no chance a SOG race end up in a 2022 situation where LA is left only with Baku. Sure the US can 2024 but like Tokyo in 2020, they will have at least to defeat one of the likes of Rome, Berlin and Durban etc

To be honest I think the city could use it but obtain the same things with spending less money. I think France's sport has really improved for decades now. We have basically decent teams in every collective sport, decent athletes in a lot of sports and he still on the rise. Paris's Defense district is still the first economical district of Europe and Paris is still in the most visited cities. France is the country with most visitors in the world.

Would the Olympics really improve that much what's basically doing the best in France?

To be honest I think what Paris really needs is a second good football team other than Paris St Germain. For Paris to only have one Ligue 1 team and no Ligue 2 team is crazy, and the city needs a permanent tenant for Stade de France.

Public money can't go to Paris FC or Red Star, but maybe the mayor could encourage business people to buy a team and bring in some of the big name French players that have departed for England and Germany in recent years.

In a strange way Paris is like Los Angeles: they both have dreams of international stardom and surprising weakness in their domestic sports teams. (Obviously I am referring to the fact there's no NFL team in Los Angeles.)

Edited by Nacre

To be honest I think what Paris really needs is a second good football team other than Paris St Germain. For Paris to only have one Ligue 1 team and no Ligue 2 team is crazy, and the city needs a permanent tenant for Stade de France.

Public money can't go to Paris FC or Red Star, but maybe the mayor could encourage business people to buy a team and bring in some of the big name French players that have departed for England and Germany in recent years.

In a strange way Paris is like Los Angeles: they both have dreams of international stardom and surprising weakness in their domestic sports teams. (Obviously I am referring to the fact there's no NFL team in Los Angeles.)

Stade de France gets plenty of Football Games. France plays most of it's Games there. Also, Athletics Meetings and UEFA Euro 2016 etc.

Berlin only has 1 Decent Team, Hertha Berlin and Berlin is still considered a Favourite, should they Bid for 2024.

Stade de France gets plenty of Football Games. France plays most of it's Games there. Also, Athletics Meetings and UEFA Euro 2016 etc.

Berlin only has 1 Decent Team, Hertha Berlin and Berlin is still considered a Favourite, should they Bid for 2024.

Berlin - unlike Paris - also has a club on second level.

But none of this football club discussion is in any way relevant to the favourite status of a 2024 bid for which, by the way, Berlin would NOT be a favourite if matched up with Paris.

We are sliding a bit off the topic, but in most of the big European countries the most successful clubs have traditionally come from the second tier, industrialised cities. Even though London has many teams in the top divisions, the best English teams come from the north, Manchester and Liverpool. Spain is an exception but the foundations for Real Madrid's success were laid during the Franco era, when the club represented the central government. Paris and Berlin maybe too diverse to be football hotbeds. Anyway, Stade de France was meant to serve as a French national arena and there are very few clubs that need a stadium for 80,000 spectators. Berlin's Olympiastadion might also be too big for Hertha who only slightly exceeded the 50k mark in the previous season.