Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

14 hours ago, Anthony Howe said:

Hey guys. A big thanks for all the very astute and entertaining comments!

Cheers, Anthony

Thanks, Anthony.  Can you give me the really skinny on how the assignment came your way--if there's more than you can share that you didn't already mention in the video?   Of course, please PM me in private.  ;)  Thanks -- and by itself, your work is really quite beautiful!! 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I know, I know - didn't want to play that down. ;) So were you guys following these boards all the time, or only in the past few months, weeks or days? If you hang around already during our London cauldron discussion in 2012, you must have been quite entertained, too. ;)

To be honest, I was not working for Show Canada yet in 2012 and discovered your forums when rumors of "leaks" were being discussed at the office. I simple "Google" search brought me here and I lurked until the Opening Ceremony was completed.

The place here is quite entertaining and I was surprised to discover that so many people were interested in these events.

Next big event would be Baku this coming Spring... And then Korea in 2018. We don't know yet if we will get involved but if yes... I'll be following the action going here.

17 hours ago, Anthony Howe said:

Hey guys. A big thanks for all the very astute and entertaining comments!

Cheers, Anthony

This must have been an incredible experience for you to be asked to design the Olympic cauldron. Congratulations on your achievement. We like to pick everything Olympic apart to view the guts and debate it's concept and measure it to what came before and what was promised. The sculptures are unique, and it sounds like a miracle was done in delivering the project on a strict schedule (that's life right). You and Buddy and the team are a part of history.

In a video we saw of the making of the sculpture there were a couple other concept graphics that showed the sculpture positioned flat, that looked fantastic...any personal thought you can share on those concepts? I guess vertically it represents the sun better but those images of the flat sculpture dancing around the base of the flame looked amazing.

Hope you will pop in again, cheers.

@Buddy_LeChat

...can NOT believe the timeline you delivered this on........INCREDIBLE. Wish you had the chance to build a huge one for their outdoor permanent cauldron. Also thinking that chrome finish outdoors is going to be tough to maintain in their climate, would hate to be in charge of that thing on the go forward. I heard it creaking when they started it up....maybe that's normal but was reaching for my WD40. :D

2 hours ago, paul said:

This must have been an incredible experience for you to be asked to design the Olympic cauldron. Congratulations on your achievement. We like to pick everything Olympic apart to view the guts and debate it's concept and measure it to what came before and what was promised. The sculptures are unique, and it sounds like a miracle was done in delivering the project on a strict schedule (that's life right). You and Buddy and the team are a part of history.

In a video we saw of the making of the sculpture there were a couple other concept graphics that showed the sculpture positioned flat, that looked fantastic...any personal thought you can share on those concepts? I guess vertically it represents the sun better but those images of the flat sculpture dancing around the base of the flame looked amazing.

Hope you will pop in again, cheers.

The first things I designed for them were all horizontal. But incorporating the gas aspects were deemed to be too problematic. Blackening of the parts, etc. I even made a prototype. And they also wanted to minimize the usage of fossil fuels. Fernando settled on a more radical design until he went to the Geneva Global warming conference and then moved to the sun concept. Thanks!

• Like 2

Where is the Olympic flame???

I didn't see the cauldron or any flame in the athletic stadium. Is the cauldron only to make one appearance in the opening ceremony? This is such a break from tradition it's unforgivable. One very big #RIOPROBLEMS. Rio is turning into a real farce. Don't even get my started with all the empty seats, made me super crossed. 

1 hour ago, Anthony Howe said:

The first things I designed for them were all horizontal. But incorporating the gas aspects were deemed to be too problematic. Blackening of the parts, etc. I even made a prototype. And they also wanted to minimize the usage of fossil fuels. Fernando settled on a more radical design until he went to the Geneva Global warming conference and then moved to the sun concept. Thanks!

Minimise what fossil fuel?? The cauldron literally burnt for like 10 mins in the opening ceremony and never be seen again. 

1 hour ago, kevzz said:

Where is the Olympic flame???

I didn't see the cauldron or any flame in the athletic stadium. Is the cauldron only to make one appearance in the opening ceremony? This is such a break from tradition it's unforgivable. One very big #RIOPROBLEMS. Rio is turning into a real farce. Don't even get my started with all the empty seats, made me super crossed. 

The Olympic flame is in an outdoor cauldron, using a smaller, wind-powered kinetic sculpture as backing, in a very popular site between the Candelaria Church and the waterfront.

Time and a place for everything. Fernando and Daniela and Andrucha, the creative directors, had a grand concept in their minds for the ceremony. It would not be appropriate for me to push an agenda that was not aligned with theirs, no matter how good the design. So I was very happy to be able to supply them with something they liked.Thanks!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

The Olympic flame is in an outdoor cauldron, using a smaller, wind-powered kinetic sculpture as backing, in a very popular site between the Candelaria Church and the waterfront.

And I can live with that. At least it's in a location where anyone can see it. It's an important icon that visitors want to see and want to photograph or be photographed with. I actually think that's a better location than London's, which, while in the Oympic stadium as per tradition, was not viewable by anyone unless you had tickets to enter that stadium.

2 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

And I can live with that. At least it's in a location where anyone can see it. It's an important icon that visitors want to see and want to photograph or be photographed with. I actually think that's a better location than London's, which, while in the Oympic stadium as per tradition, was not viewable by anyone unless you had tickets to enter that stadium.

Yes, that was the IOC's feeling too. I think if the London stadium had just been designed with some sort of hole through which the cauldron could be seen, that would have improved it (but of course when it was designed, everybody was thinking in terms of a structure up on the roof, having forgotten the elegance of designs like Berlin, where the stadium had a sort of notch for the cauldron).