Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

1 minute ago, Daze said:

Does have anyone here seen the cauldron since the end of the OC? 

Normally there is a screen in the Broadcast Studio that shows the Cauldron all the time. But not this time. 

I get to see the outdoor cauldron earlier (sorry no pics) and the kinectic part are not moving when I got to see it..

They seem to be keeping the second cauldron a secret - only a couple of quite unofficial videos around of it's lighting in the middle of the night and not seen a single shot of it on the broadcasts today.   It's as if the IOC are wanting to downplay the cauldron and make it just about the lighting rather than it burning for the games.

If the Maracana was the Olympic Stadium it would have been fine - the cauldron is just about visible above the roof line and it would look superb overlooking the athletics, and be one step up on the London cauldron.   But it's not - it's only used for football and to be honest I would be surprised at all to discover it's been removed for those games.

Hopefully Tokyo will return to the tradition but if this is the future of the games I'd rather see the torch arrive in the stadium earlier in the ceremony and then travel through the streets to the location of the city Cauldron to be lit at the end of the ceremony.

I rather turn my attention back to the current cauldron. ;)

I think it could have been worse, but that implies as well that it could have been better. I think it's somewhat stale if you have several other sculptures looking almost exactly like a cauldron. And Rio didn't even try everything to keep the cauldron design a secret - but on the other hand, they didn't have to. Keeping the cauldron completely hidden under covers is something that actually only London did (and was able to, since their cauldron was located inside the stadium and not on its roof or even outside the stadium).

I like the idea of having a smaller cauldron with a relatively low carbon footprint, but this time making it accessible to the general public as well (hello London ;)). And I also like the general idea of shaping it like the sun. Even if it was done already in Rio 2007, it fits a tropical country like Brazil very well to choose the sun. And then there's also the ecological idea behind it.

It's not the most beautiful cauldron in Olympic history, but it sure has an interesting and clever design. Rio's 2007 cauldron was more beautiful and impressive, but I don't want to know how much gas they had to burn inside that massive ball of fire. Different times, different measures: Back then in 2007, Brazil was seemingly becoming a new world economic powerhouse, also due to its oil resources. So they had energy in abundance. Nowadays, Brazil is in a deep recession (also a political one), the optimism of the Lula years has gone and we around the world are currently doing everyting to throw our beloved planet in the dumpster. So it was only appropriate to design a less brash, "calmer" cauldron with a political message: namely to behave more responsibly towards our planet and therefore, also towards ourselves.

So, all in all, it's a bit of a mixed bag for me, but my overall impression of Rio's cauldron is rather a positive than a negative one.

7 minutes ago, paul said:

It nice that Rio decided to use an American Cauldron for their games.

It was created by an American designer, but built by the German company Hüttinger (situated near Nuremberg), yes. ;) By the way, only the outdoor cauldron was built by the German company, the Maracana cauldron was built elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

It was created by an American designer, but built by the German company Hüttinger (situated near Nuremberg), yes. ;) By the way, only the outdoor cauldron was built by the German company, the Maracana cauldron was built elsewhere.

A Brazilian here said that one was crafted in Canada; or it could've come from Howe's existing inventory.  

Why many people here still think that frigging cauldrons should be extremely pesimistic about designs. Only Atlanta and London have been phenomena in these terms. By the way, Atlanta has been the most embarrassing ever.

The cauldron was, actually, better than I expected. I loved the way the flame started to burn intensively to give movement to the sculpture. While stupid American Olympic editions use boring stars, Brazil use the one from our solar system.

On the other hand, this cauldron shuts some people from the forum up about the feasibility of a hanging one. Before Beijing, many of us talked about that, and we where considered retards for considering a hanging cauldron.

1 hour ago, olympiaki-agones said:

Why many people here still think that frigging cauldrons should be extremely pesimistic about designs. Only Atlanta and London have been phenomena in these terms. By the way, Atlanta has been the most embarrassing ever.

The cauldron was, actually, better than I expected. I loved the way the flame started to burn intensively to give movement to the sculpture. While stupid American Olympic editions use boring stars, Brazil use the one from our solar system.

On the other hand, this cauldron shuts some people from the forum up about the feasibility of a hanging one. Before Beijing, many of us talked about that, and we where considered retards for considering a hanging cauldron.

But again, technically, this Rio one is ONLY half a cauldron.  The Howe sculpture is merely a BACK-DROP for the bowls.  The combustion in the bowl has NOTHING to do with the movement of the kinetic sculpture.  (Heuttinger even answered my query in the YouTobe post.)  All other cauldrons have really been whole, i..e, NO DECORATIVE elements that aren't really attached to the actual burning bowl.  

Lake_Placid_Closing_Cauldron.jpg

Lake Placid 1980 Closing.  That's to be extinguished; so it doesn't have to be exciting.  You can hardly see the flame from the lower seats. 

Re hanging cauldrons, this was used at the Lake Placid Closing was one -- but they were NOT the hanging cauldrons OVER HUGE open-air stadia like the Summer ones.  The hanging caudlron in Rio is from an extended armature (since the roof could not support a 2-ton sculpture-- NOT something like a webcam which is suspended out in the open and on unwieldy cables.  BIG DIFFERENCE, o-a.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV