Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Olympian2004

Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

Recommended Posts

They'll probably use 2 cauldrons at the same time a la Innsbruck.

By having a former Japanese athlete lighting the 1964 one and maybe a currently known Japanese athletes lighting a new, modern looking one for 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rather turn my attention back to the current cauldron. ;)

I think it could have been worse, but that implies as well that it could have been better. I think it's somewhat stale if you have several other sculptures looking almost exactly like a cauldron. And Rio didn't even try everything to keep the cauldron design a secret - but on the other hand, they didn't have to. Keeping the cauldron completely hidden under covers is something that actually only London did (and was able to, since their cauldron was located inside the stadium and not on its roof or even outside the stadium).

I like the idea of having a smaller cauldron with a relatively low carbon footprint, but this time making it accessible to the general public as well (hello London ;)). And I also like the general idea of shaping it like the sun. Even if it was done already in Rio 2007, it fits a tropical country like Brazil very well to choose the sun. And then there's also the ecological idea behind it.

It's not the most beautiful cauldron in Olympic history, but it sure has an interesting and clever design. Rio's 2007 cauldron was more beautiful and impressive, but I don't want to know how much gas they had to burn inside that massive ball of fire. Different times, different measures: Back then in 2007, Brazil was seemingly becoming a new world economic powerhouse, also due to its oil resources. So they had energy in abundance. Nowadays, Brazil is in a deep recession (also a political one), the optimism of the Lula years has gone and we around the world are currently doing everyting to throw our beloved planet in the dumpster. So it was only appropriate to design a less brash, "calmer" cauldron with a political message: namely to behave more responsibly towards our planet and therefore, also towards ourselves.

So, all in all, it's a bit of a mixed bag for me, but my overall impression of Rio's cauldron is rather a positive than a negative one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, paul said:

It nice that Rio decided to use an American Cauldron for their games.

It was created by an American designer, but built by the German company Hüttinger (situated near Nuremberg), yes. ;) By the way, only the outdoor cauldron was built by the German company, the Maracana cauldron was built elsewhere.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Olympian2004 said:

It was created by an American designer, but built by the German company Hüttinger (situated near Nuremberg), yes. ;) By the way, only the outdoor cauldron was built by the German company, the Maracana cauldron was built elsewhere.

 

 

A Brazilian here said that one was crafted in Canada; or it could've come from Howe's existing inventory.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why many people here still think that frigging cauldrons should be extremely pesimistic about designs. Only Atlanta and London have been phenomena in these terms. By the way, Atlanta has been the most embarrassing ever.

The cauldron was, actually, better than I expected. I loved the way the flame started to burn intensively to give movement to the sculpture. While stupid American Olympic editions use boring stars, Brazil use the one from our solar system.

On the other hand, this cauldron shuts some people from the forum up about the feasibility of a hanging one. Before Beijing, many of us talked about that, and we where considered retards for considering a hanging cauldron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, olympiaki-agones said:

Why many people here still think that frigging cauldrons should be extremely pesimistic about designs. Only Atlanta and London have been phenomena in these terms. By the way, Atlanta has been the most embarrassing ever.

The cauldron was, actually, better than I expected. I loved the way the flame started to burn intensively to give movement to the sculpture. While stupid American Olympic editions use boring stars, Brazil use the one from our solar system.

On the other hand, this cauldron shuts some people from the forum up about the feasibility of a hanging one. Before Beijing, many of us talked about that, and we where considered retards for considering a hanging cauldron.

 
 
 
 

But again, technically, this Rio one is ONLY half a cauldron.  The Howe sculpture is merely a BACK-DROP for the bowls.  The combustion in the bowl has NOTHING to do with the movement of the kinetic sculpture.  (Heuttinger even answered my query in the YouTobe post.)  All other cauldrons have really been whole, i..e, NO DECORATIVE elements that aren't really attached to the actual burning bowl.  

Lake_Placid_Closing_Cauldron.jpg

Lake Placid 1980 Closing.  That's to be extinguished; so it doesn't have to be exciting.  You can hardly see the flame from the lower seats. 

Re hanging cauldrons, this was used at the Lake Placid Closing was one -- but they were NOT the hanging cauldrons OVER HUGE open-air stadia like the Summer ones.  The hanging caudlron in Rio is from an extended armature (since the roof could not support a 2-ton sculpture-- NOT something like a webcam which is suspended out in the open and on unwieldy cables.  BIG DIFFERENCE, o-a.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly no... We got the contract at the end of February 2016. Final design was already selected. From first drawing to last part in container we did it in approx 2.5 months.

Quite an impressive job from my team.

We were approached for the out of stadium one but did not get the contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Buddy_LeChat said:

We were approached for the out of stadium one but did not get the contract.

 

But that was just a separate contractor for the installation, right?  I mean you still crafted the outdoor sculpture, too -- and just delivered it to them??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Show Canada Industries seem to also have been involved in the Doha 2006 cauldron (its shown on their  website). No wonder why the Rio one looks so similar to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But that was just a separate contractor for the installation, right?  I mean you still crafted the outdoor sculpture, too -- and just delivered it to them??

We only crafted the one in the Stadium. We did not get the outside one. I think it was built in Brazil.

1 minute ago, Ikarus360 said:

Show Canada Industries seem to also have been involved in the Doha 2006 cauldron (its shown on their  website). No wonder why the Rio one looks so similar to it. 

Yes, we did the Doha one. I was not working for them back then. But they are mechanically quite different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How was it shipped and did you go to install it?

Also, what was the biggest challenge in production?

Thank you for adding your insight in the forum it's pretty cool to hear about it form someone close to the production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Buddy_LeChat, was there a prima donna producer (Ballich?  Mereilles? Tomas?) who threw fits and tantrums when a screw came loose or the flame did not burn in the desired way?  

Where will the stadium sculpture go after the Games?   (To a Rio museum?)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, paul said:

How was it shipped and did you go to install it?

Also, what was the biggest challenge in production?

Thank you for adding your insight in the forum it's pretty cool to hear about it form someone close to the production.

Shipped by regular 40 foot containers. We used 2. the main ring can be broke in 4 parts. 30 bushings with 4 arms per bushing for a total of 120 arms. 4 spheres per arms with a disc at the extremity. 2 electrical motors to power the mechanism. I'll stop here as I would have to give the whole set of drawings... :-P

Biggest challenge: chrome paint (480 spheres total for the strucure all made of fiberglass)... and time! :-P Did I say time? But the Paralympics project was even crazier as for schedule...

1 minute ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So, Buddy_LeChat, was there a prima donna producer (Ballich?  Mereilles? Tomas?) who threw fits and tantrums when a screw came loose or the flame did not burn in the desired way?  

Where will the stadium sculpture go after the Games?   (To a Rio museum?)  

We had not interaction with the producers but did met and talk a lot with the artist, Anthony Howe. A cool guy by the way.

About the "lose screw", you are well informed!!! lol... My 2 guys on site were pretty stressed but we made it work for the ceremony! They did an awesome job. As for the flame, we had no link to it.

Everything is coming back home... Still no idea of what will happen with the kinetic structure.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow even by fabricating parts in fiberglass it weights a lot! Must have been a total time freak-out.......considering how complex and huge it is. I'm sure you were all sweating bullets too when the reveal came hoping nothing goes wrong...just turn baby turn! :D it all went perfect........awesome job.

Why is it "coming back home"....wont it stay in Rio?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a mix of steel, brass, aluminum and fiberglass... And sweat... Weight is somewhere in the 6000 pounds (2721 kg). Then you need to had the bracket for the trolley.

Sweating bullets... Would mostly say... sweating "chrome paint"... As it was quite a challenge to get it done right! And in a timely manner.

And regarding the "coming back home" it is a contractual item that I'm not involved with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The chrome looked perfect...thought it was all metal. The finish was amazing.

main_1200.jpg?1470464973

Edited by paul
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Buddy_LeChat said:

Everything is coming back home... Still no idea of what will happen with the kinetic structure.

 

Maybe your equipment; but certainly NOT the sculpture and the cauldron.  I mean, Rio 2016 already paid for those items.  

Maybe they'll go to the Olympic Park or to Brasilia, or that new Museum of Tomorrow? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Maybe your equipment; but certainly NOT the sculpture and the cauldron.  I mean, Rio 2016 already paid for those items.  

Maybe they'll go to the Olympic Park or to Brasilia, or that new Museum of Tomorrow? 

Maybe as part of the frantic cost-cutting they renegotiated the deal from a purchase to a short-term hire (like Tait's 74,000 "pixel paddles" for London 2012).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Maybe as part of the frantic cost-cutting they renegotiated the deal from a purchase to a short-term hire (like Tait's 74,000 "pixel paddles" for London 2012).

But you saw the expenditure budgeted for the Cauldrons - US$3.2 million.  What would ShowCanada do with that prop -- and why waste $$ for shipping it back?  But I was just curious about the overall arrangements of the job.  So Howe got "commissioned" (I guess to tweak his original Sculpture design; and then add a burning bowl), but then parcel out the manufacture contracts to ShowCanada and Heuttinger in Germany??  How bizarre.  Did each contractor undercut the other so that the 2 jobs went to 2 separate parties?  The Port Area installation is one-time job; whereas the stadium use will be 4 times.  It's just puzzling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

But you saw the expenditure budgeted for the Cauldrons - US$3.2 million.  What would ShowCanada do with that prop -- and why waste $$ for shipping it back?  But I was just curious about the overall arrangements of the job.  So Howe got "commissioned" (I guess to tweak his original Sculpture design; and then add a burning bowl), but then parcel out the manufacture contracts to ShowCanada and Heuttinger in Germany??  How bizarre.  Did each contractor undercut the other so that the 2 jobs went to 2 separate parties?  The Port Area installation is one-time job; whereas the stadium use will be 4 times.  It's just puzzling.  

That documented expenditure was what made me think of a possible late switch to a hire- if Rio's entire ceremonies budget is around US$10 million, as Meirelles seems to be implying from his comments about spending 1/12 of London's OC budget, then $3.2 million is a huge chunk gone. It's probably easier to sell in North America than in Brazil (given that most potential Brazilian purchasers are likely to be in jail within the next few months) :angry:

As for the manufacture outsourcing- that's the way Howe works:

http://www.howeart.net/Ordering.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...