Sign in to follow this  
Olympian2004

Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

On 12/08/2016 at 11:25 PM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

The Olympic flame is in an outdoor cauldron, using a smaller, wind-powered kinetic sculpture as backing, in a very popular site between the Candelaria Church and the waterfront.

In fact, I'd say it's the site described here by Zekekelso:

The official live sites are the Olympic Boulevards, including the main one in the renovated port area. Ten to five teen years from now I think those renovations will be the best way to judge the success (or not) if the games from an urban planning standpoint.

Much of what feels missing from Olympic Park is in the downtown OB. I suspect there was a change plans after the OP was designed. The great news is all of Rio has acres to the fun. The bad news is Olympic park has vast near-empty spaces. There are 50 food trucks serving everything and anything you could want to eat at the OB. There are a small number of crap food stands (that run out of food, which is their whole point) in Olympic Park.

1 hour ago, neneu10 said:

13636173_1121926071201550_207161008_n.jp

Without the flame, it's no longer a cauldron.  But I understand if the stadium is NOT in use, then there's no need for expending the flame.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Pity there is no cauldron in the Athletics stadium. Just feels empty without it...like the seats in the stands.

Rio 2016 will be forever remembered as the first and only Olympic Games that dismiss the cauldron. Totally unacceptable. I hope IOC learnt their lesson from this and will not accept any other future attempt to not have cauldron in the athletic stadium.

1 minute ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Sad they couldn't move the casuldron sculpture to the Athletics Stadium for the competition....looks lonely over at the Maracanã...

Exactly. It's such a waste and I wonder how hard can it be to move the cauldron and the sculpture to the athletic stadium? Just very short sighted of the organiser.

Okay, it is a bit odd that it's now not lit at the Maracana, only for it to be lit again (I assume) for the CC so it can be extinguished again. No reason, surely, they couldn't have had a secondary cauldron at the athletics stadium.

OK, after Rio and London, the IOC needs to put some ground rules about the flame.  Even for the non purists, this is ridiculous...

• Like 1

I wonder if they originally planned to have no conventional cauldron, just the kinetic sculpture's movement instead of a flame - then the IOC stepped in & said there had to be a live flame. Would explain why the actual cauldron seems to be a bit of an afterthought - what'll they do at the closing?

Don't think I can ever forgive Rio for such act of disrespecting the cauldron and the flame. Utter disregard for the tradition and symbol of Olympics. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Okay, it is a bit odd that it's now not lit at the Maracana, only for it to be lit again (I assume) for the CC so it can be extinguished again. No reason, surely, they couldn't have had a secondary cauldron at the athletics stadium.

One reason- having two cauldrons blazing throughout the Games (one in a stadium and one visible to the masses) would negate the whole "eco-friendly" message.

40 minutes ago, LOUIS said:

OK, after Rio and London, the IOC needs to put some ground rules about the flame.  Even for the non purists, this is ridiculous...

The IOC has some ground rules about the flame. Unfortunately, they are ground rules which were fine in the 1960s, but turn the flame into a symnbol of Olympic extravagance and arrogance in the 2010s. London attempted to square eco-friendliness with wide visibility by having live video feeds from the flame; that caused complaints that visitors should have been able to see the actual flame without buying track / field tickets. Therefore Rio (which had the additional challenge that the track & field stadium is isolated from other Olympic facilities, for good Agenda 2020 reasons) moved the flame to a public site in the heart of the city, created specially for the Olympics.

1 hour ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

...  would negate the whole "eco-friendly" message.

And what about the hundreds of plastic bottles thrown all over the marathon course by the runners?  How "eco-friendly" is that?  :blink:

7 hours ago, kevzz said:

Exactly. It's such a waste and I wonder how hard can it be to move the cauldron and the sculpture to the athletic stadium? Just very short sighted of the organiser.

...its probably really expensive to move it since it's heavy and 40ft across, maybe it would even need to be dismantled and reassembled. Moving it for athletics would be a luxury that Rio just simply can't afford.

7 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

...wait....is the sculpture just gonna hang there without a flame durring soccer?.....no way...they will light it for games I'm sure.

Edited by paul

4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And what about the hundreds of plastic bottles thrown all over the marathon course by the runners?  How "eco-friendly" is that?  :blink:

If they can be recycled or re-used, it's not a problem :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

One reason- having two cauldrons blazing throughout the Games (one in a stadium and one visible to the masses) would negate the whole "eco-friendly" message.

Yea the message about an eco-friendly games was thrown out from the start when they bulldozed an entire ecosystem just to build a golf course that will more than likely hardly be used after the games. At least they can turn it into a new ecosystem for crocodiles, capybaras, and whatnot since they have seemingly moved (back?) in to the place lol

1 hour ago, LatinXTC said:

Yea the message about an eco-friendly games was thrown out from the start when they bulldozed an entire ecosystem just to build a golf course that will more than likely hardly be used after the games. At least they can turn it into a new ecosystem for crocodiles, capybaras, and whatnot since they have seemingly moved (back?) in to the place lol

Um, it was an ecosystem. It's still an ecosystem. What about it was it so much better before?

7 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Um, it was an ecosystem. It's still an ecosystem. What about it was it so much better before?

There was more of it.