Sign in to follow this  
Olympian2004

Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

5 hours ago, Icaro said:

Functions of the cubes?!! Being cubes! You know something? I sometimes think that there are a bunch of old aunts jacking about what may or may not be  and they cumm when someone posts pictures. A type of psychopathy. They, their navels and what else? Poor ones.

<div id="inner-editor"></div>

they, their navels and what else?

Oooooooooh !

Fun from an unexpected direction !

Yummy.

(top left)  2015 Baku, Azerbaijan - European Games 

(top centre)  2015 Brazzaville, Congo - Africa Games

(top right)  2015 Granada, Spain / Strbske Pleso

& Orsblie, Slovakia - Winter Universiade Games

(bottom left) 2015 Gwangju, South Korea - Universiade Games

(bottom centre) 2015 Kerala, India - National Games of India

(bottom right) 2015 Los Angeles, USA

- Special Olympic World Games

IMG2015_A.jpg

(top left)

2015 Singapore - South East Asian Games

2015 Toronto, Canada - Pan American Games

image2015_B.jpg

I never realized how much fire was involved with international sport competitions. 

I know that earlier I said that Athens 2004 was my favorite cauldron (it still is), but I think that the London 2012 cauldron is going to be go down as the most iconic cauldron of the 21st century for it's symbolism and beauty. I hope Rio didn't get their hopes up.

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

I never realized how much fire was involved with international sport competitions. 

I know that earlier I said that Athens 2004 was my favorite cauldron (it still is), but I think that the London 2012 cauldron is going to be go down as the most iconic cauldron of the 21st century for it's symbolism and beauty. I hope Rio didn't get their hopes up.

Yes its amazing how widespread and often this ritual is performed around the world 

6 hours ago, Nemo said:

I think that the London 2012 cauldron is going to be go down as the most iconic cauldron of the 21st century for it's symbolism and beauty. I hope Rio didn't get their hopes up.

I must admit I loved the movement of London's cauldron from it being initially lit and the petals rising but I thought is was simply blah when it got to it's final form. It just didn't look beautiful. Just a fire on some brown rods. I actually think the NANJING cauldron was beautiful after it was lit. The water fire combination was extremely unique and I actually think if we are going to say Iconic then VANCOUVER had the most beautiful cauldron completely unique and very synonymous with the region. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alphamale86 said:

I must admit I loved the movement of London's cauldron from it being initially lit and the petals rising but I thought is was simply blah when it got to it's final form. It just didn't look beautiful. Just a fire on some brown rods.

Not brown- metallic:

Similarly with the relay torches- they probably got as sooty as the Rio ones, but it wasn't at all obvious because of the shiny metallic finish.

I loved the lighting of the cauldron in London (one of my faves, and for once something mechanical worked), but hated how it didn't shine over London for the duration of the games.  Having the cauldron locked inside an empty stadium for half the games is not what it's supposed to be about.

Therefore Athens probably wins for me - simple, elegant and quite modern.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Not brown- metallic:

Similarly with the relay torches- they probably got as sooty as the Rio ones, but it wasn't at all obvious because of the shiny metallic finish.

Oh don't get me wrong it was beautiful to watch but after it became stationary it just was a flame on rods

Also as much as it was a nice idea to give the petals back to each nation I think it could have stood very well as a sculpture within the Olympic Park post-games and it's a shame it was effectively dismantled. 

10 minutes ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Also as much as it was a nice idea to give the petals back to each nation I think it could have stood very well as a sculpture within the Olympic Park post-games and it's a shame it was effectively dismantled. 

Its passing beauty was in its lit, upward movement.  Other than that, it would really be just a "Huh? So-what" piece of metal.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brekkie Boy said:

Olympic-Cauldron-Museum-of-London-12.jpg

There is a permanent gallery for the cauldron at the Museum of London.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alphamale86 said:

Oh don't get me wrong it was beautiful to watch but after it became stationary it just was a flame on rods

- well, 204 flames on 204 rods, which was a key part of the concept

11 minutes ago, Brekkie Boy said:

- which was another key part of the concept. The Cauldron is the receptacle for the Flame, and it's the Flame which symbolises the Games.

No cauldron-related updates? Me thinks they're probably doing a good job in keeping it hush.

3 hours ago, Kevin C. said:

No cauldron-related updates? Me thinks they're probably doing a good job in keeping it hush.

I think we're just gotten to a point where we know that it's going to be kinetic and have fire, so we're just waiting for the ceremony. Might as well discuss what we liked about passed cauldrons and see what can be done differently in Rio.

5 hours ago, Kevin C. said:

Unfortunately,  and as much I am looking forward to the Cauldron and the OC, the secret (photos) about what the Cauldron looks like has easily leaked out well ahead of the OC.

Avoid reading further back in this thread too much and avoid Waldi's earlier spoiler photo below from a week or two ago if you want a complete surprise during the OC.

That it has been so easy to see the Cauldron uncovered and exposed during rehearsals over the past couple of weeks, makes it appear the organisers didnt have the resources/staff exactly when they needed it it to cover it.

I think Waldi is on the money with his spoiler photo and diagram overlay below.

Another less likely possibility is that its all been a giant ruse to distract us from the real Cauldron and we are way off on our theories, as I was back in 2012 thinking it was going to be outside the stadium.

But this time around there is what looks to be compelling photgraphic evidence of the stadium cauldron and its likely pathway.

The OC organisers appear to have done away with that massive secrecy shroud from about week ago that was briefly placed over that whole favela boxes area.  They may have accepted that the cauldron has been photograhed so many times now hanging in the stadium there's no point trying to hide it now.

After all that, I think the Rio's stadium Cauldron will look beautiful and amazing when it is lit and I wish the organisers, Rio and Brazil the very best for great Ceremonies  and Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Spoiler

image.jpg

4 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Hide contents

image.jpg

Yeah. but it's hiding behind that circular wall.  So either the wall opens up or it rises OVER the crest of the arc -- which doesn't leave it much room from the roof.  It's just so strange the way they have laid it out -- with no attempts to even cover it up.  Altho once the name of Howe was out, that was pretty much it.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Yeah. but it's hiding behind that circular wall.  So either the wall opens up or it rises OVER the crest of the arc -- which doesn't leave it much room from the roof.  It's just so strange the way they have laid it out -- with no attempts to even cover it up.  Altho once the name of Howe was out, that was pretty much it.  

Agreed.  A few days ago I saw a photo on here somewhere with the central segment of that semi-circular back wall 'missing', and I think it was probably actually in the fully down position, probably to clear the path for the cauldron to travel forward at the same height from it's current 'hidden' position.

Ditto. I think it's safe to say that the cauldron won't be your typical concave bowl but a kinetic sculpture instead.  Question is, would this create a trend or "slippery slope" for future cauldron designs?