Sign in to follow this  
Olympian2004

Rio 2016 Olympic Cauldron

What is the function of the cubes?

^^That looks like a more effective way to cover the cauldron without having a physical structure to mess with. I am anticipating a view from above soon!

On 02/08/2016 at 7:42 PM, Nemo said:

Functions of the cubes?!! Being cubes! You know something? I sometimes think that there are a bunch of old aunts jacking about what may or may not be  and they cumm when someone posts pictures. A type of psychopathy. They, their navels and what else? Poor ones.

5 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Oooooooooh !

I sense fun approaching ...

Oooooooooh !

Oooooooooh !

<div id="inner-editor"></div>

they, their navels and what else?

Christ I haven't posted here in a very VERY long time lol. I'm curious to see what the cauldron will look like, being kinetic and all.  Unsure why they didn't go with a local Brazilian artist, but it's pretty much irrelevant at this point. What I am eager to know will be how the cauldron will be lit and how the external bigger cauldron will be lit as well. Call me a traditionalist but I believe the torch of the final torchbearer should touch the cauldron or that the olympic flame itself touches the cauldron (i.e, Atlanta 96's flaming white thing or Beijing 08's spiral flame thing). So to have Rio to some sort of "magical transfer" of the flame from the stadium cauldron to the external cauldron (ala Torino '06, Sochi '14) would pretty much devalue the ceremonies and have it likened to a Pan Am-esque OC.  On the flip side....Rio's organizing committee is cash strapped so yeah :/. Just my two cents...and a nickel.  

21st Century Cauldrons

Shortly we'll get to witness in Rio's Olympic Ceremonies their grand cauldron moments.

Let's take a moment to have a quick look back at some of the other cauldrons lit in various world and regional Games so far this century 2000-2016.

The list is not comprehensive by any means, and for some cauldrons I just couldn't find images of.  So if you have any images of Games not listed here, your help would be much appreciated.

Granted, the image quality of some these are excellent quality while others are grainy screenshots.

Some of cauldrons themselves are stunning, while some are understandably modest.

But the flames in each of these were ignited, and later extinguished, in their ceremonies to symbolise and inspire the spirit of those Games.

2000 Sydney, Australia - Olympic Games

image2000.jpg.

(top left)      2001 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - South East Asian Games

2001 Zakopane, Poland - Winter Universiade Games

image2001.jpg

(top left)   2002 Busan, South Korea - Asia Games

2002 Salt Lake City, USA - Winter Olympic Games

image2002.jpg

( top left )            2003 Aomori, Japan - Asian Winter Games

( top right )          2003 Daegu, South Korea - Universiade Games

( bottom left )      2003 Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam - South East Asian Games

( bottom right )   2003 Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic - Pan Am Games

image2003.jpg

3 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

2004 Athens, Greece - Olympic Games

image2004.jpg

I think this is still my favorite. Such a well places cauldron with a beautiful flame. Though, London's symbolism was amazing.

• Like 1

( bottom left )

2005 Izmir, Italy - Universiade Games

2005 Manila, Phillipines - South East Asian Games

image2005.jpg

Nice collection of shots, A-fan. You might be interested in a fan survey I did on the cauldron's a while back: GBids Olympic cauldron fan Survey

Hmmm. May have to resurrect and update that fan Survey Series after Rio???

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

( top left ) 

2006 Doha, Qatar - Asia Games (stadium)

(Doha downtown)

2006 Turin, Italy - Winter Olympic Games

image2006.jpg

(top left)  2007 Bangkok, Thailand - Universiade Games                   (top right)  2007 Changchun, China - Asian Winter Games

(bottom left)  2007 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Pan American Games             (bottom right)   2007 Shanghai, China - Special Olympic World Games

image2007.jpg

(top left)  2009 Belgrade, Serbia - Universiade Games                   (top right)    2009 Boise, USA - Special Olympic World Games

(bottom left)  2009 Harbin, China - Winter Universiade Games       (bottom right)  2009 Vientiane, Laos - South East Asian Games

image2009.jpg

(top left)                                                                                                                                (top right) 

2010 Guangzhou, China - Asia Games                                                           2010 Singapore - Youth Olympic Games

(bottom left)                                                                                                           (bottom right)

2010 Vancouver, Canada - Winter Olympic Games (stadium)                 (downtown Vancouver)

image2010.jpg

(top left)     2011 Almaty / Astana, Kazakhstan - Asian Winter Games                                                                                                             

(top centre) 2011 Athens, Greece - Special Olympic World Games

(top right) 2011 Doha, Qatar - Pan Arab Games 

2011 Guadalajara, Mexico - Pan American Games

2011 Erzurum, Turkey - Winter Universiade Games

2011 Shenzen, China - Unversiade Games

image2011.jpg

(top left)

2012 Innsbruck, Austria - Youth Winter Olympic Games 

(bottom right)

2012 London, United Kingdom - Olympic Games

image2012.jpg

(top left)

2013 Pyeongchang, South Korea - Winter Special Olympics World Games

(top right)  2013 Kazan, Russia - Universiade Games

(bottom left) 

2013 Naypyidaw, Thailand - South East Asia Games

(bottom right)

2013 Shenyang, China - National Games of China

image2013.jpg

(top)    2014 Incheon, South Korea - Asia Games

(centre)     2014 Nanjing, China - Youth Olympic Games

(bottom)       2014 Sochi, Russia - Olympic Winter Games

image2014.jpg