2019 Pan American Games

Felipe Menegaz

It seems we were in Montevideo at the same time, Danny ;)

Montevideo is an awesome place... I loved it! But I don't think it suits for a Pan-Am. The Centenario would need an enormous investment and I don't know exactly if they have the infraestructure for other sports.

Yeah, Uruguay is one of the most developed countries in LatAm, but it's also the smallest... is like the Luxembourg of South America. Although Lux is one of the richest country in the world, would you give them the Olympics? I don't think so.

Santiago, Lima or Bogotá are larger cities that deserved to host finally the PanAm someday... Argentina is still a mess, so I think they are more worried to don't have another default than about being the host of some sports event.

Even with the earthquake, would put Santiago ahead of the other two ones.

Bogota is a great city and developing pretty fast, but there is still lots of prejudice against both the security of the city and the politics of the country. I do not think either Colombia on one hand or Venezuela and Bolivia on the other will get awarded with any high profile games in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really would appreciate Santiago as hosting City of a Pan AM Games edition. And it is more likely after a NA edition in Toronto. A kind of rotation has been informally stablished. Then that will be SA time again, since Mexico is culturally a Central America country, IMO.

2003 - Santo Domingo

2007 - Rio de Janeiro

2011 - Guadalajara

2015 - Toronto

2019 - Santiago

Unfortunatelly, after the earthquakes, I think Chile will not bid for 2019. I also think no other SA country will be able to bid. Brazil, due to the too recent 2014 WC and 2016 SOG. The other countries for economic problems. So, differently to what I said before, a NA bid seems more likely.

2003 - Santo Domingo

2007 - Rio de Janeiro

2011 - Guadalajara

2015 - Toronto

2019 - Any USA city

There's no way a North American city will get the Pan Am for the third consecutive time. After all, ODESUR members have the largest number of votes... and also I don't see a lot of interest between US cities... if Santiago doesn't bid (which seems probably), then Bogotá could become the front-runner...

is say a '19 US PanAms is quite possible u see from 2003-2011 has not been in the north, so yea if the US bids it can be a great contender even tho theres Toronto in 2015, but i dont think US will bid.

1999 - North America

2003 - Central America

2007 - South America

2011 - North America

2015 - North America

2019 - North America?... really? :blink:

well thats up to u how u wanna read North and Central America.

anyways i do believe that a good bid from the North would win over a southern. that didnt happen to RIO bc it was against San Antonio, 1000x more appeal.

well thats up to u how u wanna read North and Central America.

anyways i do believe that a good bid from the North would win over a southern. that didnt happen to RIO bc it was against San Antonio, 1000x more appeal.

It's certainly factible that a good North American could beat bad South American bids... in fact, that's why Toronto won over Bogota and Lima. But twice in a row it's really difficult...

• 1 month later...

I think the main question is what PASO wants to do with the PanAm Games. They can accept Olympic standard PanAms to be a rare thing and continue with the level seen in Mar del Plata and Santo Domingo or they can try to raise the bar and have more Torontos and Rios. In the latter case, Central America will have a hard time hosting it.

By the way, I don't know how Panama is doing right now. After all, its growth seemed to be fed by the financial and real state bubbles in the American economy. If they are still doing fine, they would be a good option in Central America, maybe with a second choice in San Jose in Costa Rica.

I agree to your opinions, Aluz. Rio 2007, even with the lack of experience and organization and disrespect to some sports which had not popular appeal to the Brazilian people, stablished a new standard to the Pan Am Games. Toronto will surely try to present a better edition. I don't know how are things going on in Guadalaraja, but, for sure, they will try to follow the same track. The question is clear. If Rio 2007 standard is chosen as the pattern, then the PanAm Games will become financialy prohibitive to CA and most countries in SA. I can't see any CA country with conditions to follow the new patern. On the other side, that would be politically hard to put an end in the rotation.

I would be happy if Santiago were awarded, but I don't know if they will bid after the problems of infra they have due to the earthquke. I think their priorities might have been changed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here are some cities that have discussed the posibility of bidding for 2019:

Mar del Plata, Argentina

Bogotá, Colombia

Medellín, Colombia [1]

Lima, Perú [2]

Puerto Rico [3]

IMHO, Colombia has a good chance. I've heard also about Panama City and Santiago, but nothing serious at the moment.

• 1 month later...

I think New Orleans would be a good host of the Pan American Games in 2019!!! We have most of the venues and will show the USCO and IOC that our city can host an international sports event.

Detroit is better :P

But you do not risk Hurricane season. I am sorry, but it would be a dumb decision.

• 4 weeks later...

Buenos Aires will apparently bid for the 2019 Pan Ams as well - the original info is in Spanish (English translation by Google)

Werthein commitment to organizing the 2019 Pan American

In little over a year since assuming the presidency of the Argentine Olympic Committee, Gerardo Werthein is shown as the fulfillment of the agreement for the first part of his administration, but doubles the bet after achieving exponential growth of the national sport .

The businessman said that one of the leitmotifs of his administration goes through the solution of the conflicts that afflict athletes daily. Seeks equality and justice as the main supports for the application in each of the cases that your agency is involved.

"In that sense we thought the bill ended up being the Enard (National Board of High Performance Sports), which is an important advance, especially in the recovery of dignity, so that many may have the basics, such as access to health coverage, which did not exist before, "Werthein said in an interview with a newspaper from Buenos Aires.

Seeking to provoke the growth of sport in general and athletes in particular, the president of the COA noted the increased economic support that counts, but still dissatisfied by the remoteness of the great powers.

"The budget in Argentina is 10 million dollars, but took a big leap with the Enard, bringing 27 million more," he said, while he cried for the support of the private sector.

Meanwhile, and despite the positive results of the first year in office, leading the news on the horizon: "We will present Argentina to host the 2019 Pan American Games," he announced.

The leader said that goals like that have a final destination, which is the organization of an edition of Olympic Games and noted that the working methodology of Spain in the sport is one of the ways forward.

"It is possible to come to the Southern Cone, because the next will be in Guadalajara and in 2015 in Canada. Brazil began little by little and ended up winning the Olympic Games. They can imitate things like building an Olympic village with private support. is used and then sell, "plotted.

Werthein determined, finally, that the COA will work to make a good presentation at the meeting in 2013 held the International Olympic Committee in Buenos Aires to choose the venue for 2020: "We hope to show the potential of Buenos Aires, or some other big city that You can reach the top ", is excited.

The Argentine Olympic Committee, Gerardo Werthein, said that the country intends to organize the Olympic Games in 2024.

http://www.infobae.com/futbol/552848-101457-0-Werthein-apuesta-la-organizacion-los-Panamericanos-2019

we all know that things don't look good for a Bs As bid for 2024 (too soon after Rio 2016) but it seems that their Pan Am bid wil be pretty serioius and strong...they might get it after all.

• 1 month later...

Buenos Aires is always a serious competitor for continental events. Of course, not for an Olympics (not just because Rio is too soon but more about infraestructure, political stability, and so on)

Santiago is thinking about a new 80,000 stadium for the next years. And now with the preparations about the 2014 South American Games, we could have a bid for 2019. I've heard more rumours now, but nothing official at the moment.

Santiago is thinking about a new 80,000 stadium for the next years. And now with the preparations about the 2014 South American Games, we could have a bid for 2019. I've heard more rumours now, but nothing official at the moment.

Well, you've got to find the technology that will not make a stadium split in sections when an earthquake strikes.

^^ Lol, baron, now that was mean :rolleyes:

Anyway...I would like to see Santiago or Lima getting the games. I was a bit dissapointed back then that neither Lima or Bogota couldn't stand a chance against Toronto.

And Santiago got the right of hosting them twice (in 1975 and 1987) but they had to resign, in 1975, because Pinochet was busy murdering innocents in the National Stadium back then. I forgot why they resigned for the 1987 edition (they didnt seemed to have trouble hosting the South American Games in 1986)

Buenos Aires is always a serious competitor for continental events. Of course, not for an Olympics (not just because Rio is too soon but more about infraestructure, political stability, and so on)

Actually, the only and major weakness of Buenos Aires is political stability. Well, there is the problem of the dates as well, but the city could definitely host and it has been shortlisted for 2004.

Archived