Nice-Alpes Françaises 2030

4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Either way, there's definitely a vibe that France wanted to put forth a plan that combined the French Riviera with the French Alps and thought that would be most appealing to the IOC.  And apparently it was.

Think it had less to do with that, & more about that this thing was just rushed. As you said, this came about at the 11th hour, so French officials (much like the IOC) were just working with what they had, as opposed to having a proper domestic bid process first.

Speaking as the resident figure skating fan, I think Nice is fine as the anchor city.  They have a lovely ice rink with views of the Mediterranean that is host to a minor international competition every October (certainly not large enough to host any Olympic events, but I'd be shocked if it isn't used as a practice rink).  The current European men's champion, Adam Siao Him Fa, trains there along with several other elite level skaters.  Comparatively, I'll gladly take Nice for picture postcard views and scenery over Beijing and Sochi (and Turin and SLC, for that matter) any day.  I don't see the need for all the hand-wringing over the lack of snowy winter scenes in Nice itself - the Alps aren't far away and will provide plenty of real, mountainous wintry wonder - and certainly will be far prettier than anything we got from the Beijing snow sites.  It will be as lovely of a juxtaposition with the palm trees and sunny coastline of Nice as the sea to sky views we had from Vancouver.  All in all, I'm excited for Nice-Alpes.

• Like 1

Handwringing? Not really (not like there was over Switzerland being included in "privileged dialog" over Sweden for 2038, for example). I think there's been more of that going on in trying to make the point that Nice is a great choice than not. 

I think everyone here, though, is in agreement that Nice is still a better selection over the likes of Sochi & Beiijing. And yes, even Turin, since they were pretty much an industrial town before they were awarded the Games (have to disagree over SLC, though. That's as snowy, mountainous as you can get, while still being in a big-ish city).

It's just a mere matter of preference for the ultimate host city (like everyone else on these forums have (i.e. Sweden, Africa, etc). Or how some prefer the summer Games over the winter Games & vice-versa. Or how some don't like figure skating or gymnastics as much as others do. Doesn't mean someone is right or wrong because of it. That's all. It's still France, so it'll still be exciting. Although, I'm actually much more excited over Paris 2024 anyway!

• Like 1

Lol! Where would the board be if we didn’t debate our aesthetic choices, from logos and pictograms to hosts. I’m far more excited by Nice than I would have been for Grenoble or Lyon. Doesn’t mean I’m right and you’re wrong. Indeed, funnily enough, despite my disappointment at Sweden, I’m far more excited by Nice than I have been for any other winter host for a loooooong time.  

3 hours ago, neige said:

Do you mean the Nice Football Club (OGC Nice)?
The answer is no... They have a quite recent 35000 seats stadium (2013).
And for the WOG the need is to build to ice rinks. I can't see how it could be used for Football.
By the way, nobody knows what they can do with them!
Here what it is written in feasibility assessment file:
226774.jpg?1701724001

Can't they get two of those extra stadia in Qatar 2022 - down-sized?  

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I mean Nice is nice -- but I wouldn't exactly call it "sexy."

Yeah, I wouldn't either. Paris is sexy! Nice seems more of a big, beach resort town like Honolulu, Acapulco or the Gold Coast. But propping it up way more than that with all the superlatives is probably pushing it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, FYI said:

Yeah, I wouldn't either. Paris is sexy! Nice seems more of a big, beach resort town like Honolulu, Acapulco or the Gold Coast. But propping it up way more than that with all the superlatives is probably pushing it.

I think what you said earlier is spot on.  Nice as a Summer resort is sexy, it's the French Riviera and a playground for the rich.  Nice as a Winter resort is probably a great place to visit, but it probably won't have the same type of appeal of a city like Vancouver, which many have said provided one of the better Winter settings in recent Olympics.  And the trip from there to Whistler was a lot shorter than going from Nice up into the Alps.

The inevitable comparisons for 2030, whatever the final plans wind up being, will be to 1992 which was spread out over the Savoie, but largely confined to the mountains without a city component.  Like with Lillehammer, it's an Olympics of a bygone era, but hopefully at least the mountain portion of things can capture some of that vibe.

Like how the World's Fair was connected to the Olympics at the very beginning? Considering how the IOC doesn't like other events to distract from theirs these days, ponder how they'll handle this since it takes place in February. 

But love the tag line of: "Carnival in Nice - the Rio de Janeiro of Europe", considering how a certain someone around here just *loves* those kind of comparisons! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 5:25 AM, SportLightning said:

Nope. Most likely to continue indoor speed skating at the Palais Nikaïa.

Looking at the Palais Nikaia, im not sure it can host a wide enough space for speed skating..

1 minute ago, corn_zxl said:

Looking at the Palais Nikaia, im not sure it can host a wide enough space for speed skating..

Actually I take that back, I was judging mostly on the appearance of the recent JESC in Nice last month lol

https://images.app.goo.gl/nQ6KC66fP7ySdvgJ7

7 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't see how that structure can fit a 400m speed-skating oval.  

They could take out the retractable seats at the last few separate/island rows, or just all-out renovate it

33 minutes ago, corn_zxl said:

They could take out the retractable seats at the last few separate/island rows, or just all-out renovate it

Or... 

palais-nikaia-nice-environnement_7207.we

Use the venue next door that already has seating and could probably turn into a venue for speed skating.  There's no shot there's enough room indoors there to put a full sized speed skating oval

/\/\  That makes more sense.  Maybe I would build a roof over some of the stands -- not for snow -- since it doesn't in Nice, but maybe to hold lights, etc.,  Also, if it's exposed like this, the competition will have to be held in daylight but then the ice might be a little soft.  Nah.  They really need to build a new, roofed speed-skating oval and because it doesn't snow in Nice, the new structure doesn't need the super-strong and expensive beams to support the roof.  They should just be strong enough to support lighting equipment.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV