125th Session - live chat

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe the IOC in eliminating Madrid 2020, I believe they have lost an opportunity, In all due respect to Tokyo (whom I endorsed for 2016), they are now the only choice left. To elect Istanbul would be a cataclysmic mistake of epic proportions.

Electing an economicaly crippled country would had also been a mistake.

Tokyo's going to win. After the "risk" they took after picking Rio the last time I highly doubt they will want to go into another adventure with the "new frontiers" thing and will go for the safest option this time. If you want a "new frontier" games again, wait for 2024.

Mass confusion in press centre as Turkish Journalists under mistaken belief that Istanbul had won, not quite understanding the process.

- Rogge did say Istanbul had been elected

Yes, I can see how that would be confusing!

Also it should have been announced that members were voting FOR a city.

One member he complains he couldn't vote and the vote comes down to one vote!

dodgy all around.

What was the result of Tokyo vs Istanbul ?

And why did Rogge give the number of votes by the way. I thought the rule was to give only the result and to give the figures AFTER the proclamation of the host city.

I think Rogge violated some rules by giving the number of votes for Istanbul and Madrid before the final vote.

Awww, a pity to see those sad faces in the athlete members of the Spanish delegation and in Madrid. :(

I don't think there'll be a fourth try for Madrid, especially after this harsh result. What could they show new in a fourth attempt that they haven't now and in 2009? Even more compact masterplan with all venues built?

Archived