Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

It's not the Indians that bothers me, it's the fact that there is almost no intentions of assimilation or integration. In Brampton, tell me how many storefronts you see in English in the Springdale neighborhood for instance.

In fact, if we had so called "multiculturalism" wouldn't there be a balance of immigrants from different areas? In fact, each of the GTA suburbs is kinda like their own countries. Mostly Indians in Brampton, mostly Chinese in Markham, mostly Italians in Vaughan, and Mississauga well, speaking my truth about what is there now will get me banned.

Just in Quebec, the province everyone loves to hate, they've enacted laws to keep their culture intact. It is not racist if I want people who come here to live by our ways, the immigrants in Brampton do not.

Also, I notice people say I'm not the kind of person needed in Canada. Than what is a Canadian, one person who bends over to left wing indoctrination? It is a shame that I feel like a foreigner in my own country, and you cannot deny that this happens. Is it also racist if the so called "white flight" has occured in Brampton and Mississauga? Check out the demographics of the cities in Halton Region and their growth in recent years, those are the people who USED to live in Brampton and Mississauga.

B.S.! You're a classic low-information bigot. I'm a real estate developer and I'm fully aware of many of the factors spurning exurban growth in the Halton region among many others. Many of the new immigrant groups like to have children at a statistically greater rate than the Canadian norm. Brampton is a target for the present generation of immigrants due to its relatively low real estate value close to the city (low by Toronto standards) and any of the factories and transportation jobs in the Brampton corridor are convenient for new immigrants trying to brush up on their skills. The previous waves of immigrants who left Brampton have done so after cashing out with a fat profit, it's strictly economics and has been how this country has operated for centuries. I'm willing to bet that neither you nor the majority of immigrants who existed in Brampton in generations past are of native Canadian ancestry? Let's not forget that in the 1920's there were Italians being lynched in Toronto (google it, from City of Toronto archives), French Canadians rioting and killing Irish immigrants in Ottawa, and on and on. In my historical research (I'm passionate about Ontario history) even read one account of local kids in rural Ontario complaining about the smell from the new Dutch immigrants, about as lily white as they come! My polish and portuguese neighbours also had it bad in the 60's for "stealing jobs" away from the locals lol, every generation of immigrants has to deal with ignorant low-information bigots like you, so either deal with the fact that in an immigrant nation there will always be change, or move to whichever stagnant conservative backwater you feel you "fit" into...

• Like 1

That is not what I was saying. I'm not saying that the kids do not know English. I was saying that the language they speak at home is Punjabi. That kid who was born in Canada learns a foreign language. But if the kid does not know English by grade school, oh don't worry, government funded ESL will do the trick. As I said, this is not racist, how come a first world nation like Japan is extremely strict about any immigration, how come they are never called racists. European countries and the rest of the Anglosphere has been forced to adapt multiculturalism, why? It does not work.

You're saying all this as a NewFoundLander, how would you like it if Canada inforced a strict accent rule so noone was allowed to use the NewFoundLand accent. And you claim to be descended from settlers? What the heck is the difference, your ancestors didn't come here out of a sense of patriotism, they came here for a better life. The highest proportion of immigrants to NF came from Ireland and France, even that corner of Canada was built by immigrants so get over it, Canada makes no distinction between settlers and immigrants clearly because there is no difference, so stop trying to claim some sort of aristocratic privilege for yourself, your value and rights are no different than any other immigrant to this country. The Canada you are striving for (in the 1940's when the big anglo-saxon and scots-irish wave of immigrants had settled in) was a boring and impoverished place. The many waves of immigrants since then built this country as much as any other comunity, you'd have to be a myopic and ignorant fossil to not accept that.

• Like 2

You've shown us about 20 people in those photos. Would you mind showing us photos of the other 4m foreign born people living in the UK, or the other 1.5m Muslims?

And actually, I find it hard to get even slightly angry about these small, very vocal protest groups. The fact they are allowed to protest means they have a freedom of expression they'd never be allowed in the theocracies they claim to support. Don't they see this?! That comical paradox means that all these protests end up looking utterly cretinous and actually, they don't rile me because they're very, very easy to laugh at. They do a MUCH better job than any politicians at undermining political Islam. Let them speak, let them put up their placards I say! :D

To give you some due though, there are issues within certain minority groups which mean the positives of immigration are easily overlooked. There are a minority of Pakistani immigrants for whom rape is almost acceptable (yes, really), some religious groups insist on setting up their own misogynous religious courts (this is a mainly Islamic but also Jewish problem), certain other ethnic groups (predominantly African) deem female genital mutilation acceptable, and forced marriage is also an issue amonst South Asians. Mostly, the victims of such practices are individuals within those minorities so it's easy to overlook. It's up to the law to come down hard on all of this rather than worry about upsetting certain communities.

None of that means I support your wider point though. Posting a picture of 20 nutters to generalise about a population of 4m foreign born, or immigration policy in general, is ridiculous.

So you believe that nations should risk their well being and the lives of citizens for the sake of a damn Olympic bid that may or may not win?

You're saying all this as a NewFoundLander, how would you like it if Canada inforced a strict accent rule so noone was allowed to use the NewFoundLand accent. And you claim to be descended from settlers? What the heck is the difference, your ancestors didn't come here out of a sense of patriotism, they came here for a better life. The highest proportion of immigrants to NF came from Ireland and France, even that corner of Canada was built by immigrants so get over it, Canada makes no distinction between settlers and immigrants clearly because there is no difference, so stop trying to claim some sort of aristocratic privilege for yourself, your value and rights are no different than any other immigrant to this country. The Canada you are striving for (in the 1940's when the big anglo-saxon and scots-irish wave of immigrants had settled in) was a boring and impoverished place. The many waves of immigrants since then built this country as much as any other comunity, you'd have to be a myopic and ignorant fossil to not accept that.

I think you should change your signature...

Smackdown.

Your profile says you like winning? Congrats, you just did.

• Like 1

You know, that's kind of the ironic thing. I am not anti-American by any stretch of the word. But Canada could arguably defined as one of the most anti-American places in the world. Truth be told, most of the residents of Brampton would hate you, as Canada defines itself culturally as being "not American". Canadians define themselves still as the result of a silly hockey game 4 years ago in Vancouver. They define themselves on supposedly believing they torched the White House 200 years ago in 1814. If you don't believe me, look at this public art they commissioned at the corner of Bathurst and Lake Shore in Toronto, which is completly incorrect regarding what happened:

They say never argue with a fool, so I'm going against that advice, but this will be it from me...

Canadians are not anti-American. My perception (someone correct me here if I'm wrong) is that Canadians don't want to be defined the same way as Americans and that you want the cultural difference between the 2 nations, minute as they are compared to other nations, to define you. That's understandable and respectable. The world got a pretty good sense of some of the idiosyncrasies of your country during the 2010 Olympics, so I get where Canadians don't want the rest of the world to think that your nation is merely a smaller "junior" version of the United States.

For you to escalate that to the point that you don't want foreigners in your land is extremely bigoted. Plenty of nations out there (particularly those in the Anglo world) were built and/or prospered because of immigration and there's a lot of culture that came from other nations. For crying out loud, the sport of curling that Canada holds so dear came there because of Scottish immigrants. By your logic, those Scots and their game wouldn't be welcome in your Canada.

So yea, you are very much a bigot. Most people don't want to live in a closed off world like you do. You can isolate certain incidents and certain people and pretend like they speak for the masses. They don't. You're an idiot. That's all

• Like 1

Can't we simply all just ignore the douche? Tony may be a douche as well, but at least he's not racist like MisterSG1 is.

Agreed that I'm not a racist but I'm not a douche either.

Thanks for clearing that up for us. Although we probably would have assumed you weren't racist until you said something

Oh I thought your first comment was directed at me, sorry. I'm a bit defensive of the word because so many of my family members are (on my grandmothers side) and I try to distance myself from that as much as I can.

Oh I thought your first comment was directed at me, sorry. I'm a bit defensive of the word because so many of my family members are (on my grandmothers side) and I try to distance myself from that as much as I can.

Not originally, not. You're not the only Mister here.

So let's pretend for a sec that threads here at GB actually include discussion related to the topic of said threads.. does anyone have anything interesting or useful to say about Toronto?

So let's pretend for a sec that threads here at GB actually include discussion related to the topic of said threads.. does anyone have anything interesting or useful to say about Toronto?

It's a nice city.

Their mayor could become drunk and high, then promote a 2028 or 2024 bid after re-election...

If 2002 told us anything it's that Quebec will never host the Winter games unless you use partner cities, The US has the same problem with Denver.

How does the US have the same problem with Denver? Denver has mountains, lots of them and multiple major ski resorts. Beavercreek and Breckenridge are within about 100 minutes of Lodo.

How does the US have the same problem with Denver? Denver has mountains, lots of them and multiple major ski resorts. Beavercreek and Breckenridge are within about 100 minutes of Lodo.

One of the main reasons Denver '76 was canceled was because all the ski resorts suited for Olympic events were far from the city. It's too much of a hasel and with the games becoming such a large event the logistics would be a nightmare, Salt Lake City will always be America's Winter Olympic city next to maybe Lake Placid.

One of the main reasons Denver '76 was canceled was because all the ski resorts suited for Olympic events were far from the city. It's too much of a hasel and with the games becoming such a large event the logistics would be a nightmare, Salt Lake City will always be America's Winter Olympic city next to maybe Lake Placid.

This is going to sidetrack this thread again, but that's not entirely true. The original plan for the Denver bid was to place the mountain venues closer to the city. They realized though that wasn't such a smart idea since a lot of the locations they proposed weren't going to be great spots to host Olympics events. So they pushed further out into the mountains. It wasn't so much the distance that did that Olympic bid in as it was the fact that much of that area hadn't been developed yet, so the residents of Colorado were afraid of the world descending upon their state and ruining their unspoiled environment. That it was a long ways from Denver to those ski resorts was the least of their concerns.