As people here in the Greater Toronto Area can attest to, the whole notion of even bidding for 2024 was incredibly negative. There was not one positive news about this in the mainstream media whatsoever.

But by going back reading a few pages, why do you guys not think that the 2024 bid would have been a slam dunk in Toronto? I thought it would be for a few obvious reasons:

1) The Olympics will not have been in an English speaking country since London 2012

2) The Olympics will not have been in North America since Vancouver 2010. Furthermore, the last North American Summer Olympics were Atlanta 1996.

3) The IOC still has a vendetta against the US as we saw with the Chicago 2016 bid, mainly whoever the US Olympic Committee chooses would have been the main competitor to Toronto's bid.

4) Hosting the Pan American Games, while this has been a political disaster, the actual success of the games in 2015 should not be hard to pull off, I mean in terms of running smoothly. This proves that Toronto would have what it takes to host the Summer Olympics. Rio's 2016 bid was successful largely because of the smooth running of the Pan Am games.

I wanted the Olympics here not because of any inferiority complex as some say Toronto has. I wanted it, because it would get politicians in all layers of government to start to agree on building serious infrastructure. The Queen Subway line which we have been arguing over for 100 years may actually see the light of day.

1) This is not a valid reason, and if it is, it is not something exclusive to Toronto, nor a drawcard -- both South Africa and the US speak English.

2) Exactly. The Olympics were in Canada in 2010. If anything, it makes the option of the US even more compelling, seeing Salt Lake and Atlanta further off in the distance. As far as the Olympics goes - North America does not exist, it is The Americas, and it is hosting 2016.

3) The IOC has a vendetta against the US? Is that why they awarded them four Olympics in the space of 22 years? Chicago came last for 2016 for three reasons: a) bloc voting, B) funding agreements c) and because someone had to come last, and it was Brazil's time. Not sure what this has to do with Toronto, though?

4) The Pan Am Games prove nothing. They are small fry compared to the Olympics. I have no doubt that Toronto will host them with ease, but initially the city seem to stumble with even getting a reasonable venue plan together.

I have no doubt that Toronto can and eventually will host a wonderful Olympics - but it won't do it for any of the above reasons.

Or Rome and the vote splitting between candidates was kind of over stated because all it took was for one European bid to be in the final 2 to win. 2024 gives the vibes of 2012 where a strong European bid will win.

I don't think 2028 is worth even bidding for. Its likely headed to South Africa. So the next realistic shot is 2032.

This has been my feeling all a long.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bore off.

Well, if Toronto had entered, and you were going to make a list of the minus frtactors for the bids, you cpould say: Madrid - Spain's economy is in really bad shape Japan - Although Pyeongchang shou

MisterSG1 is simply ignorant of the fact that his "Canada" was created by immigrants themselves, much like my "Australia" is. We should be grateful for the immigrant populations from all corners of th

1) This is not a valid reason, and if it is, it is not something exclusive to Toronto, nor a drawcard -- both South Africa and the US speak English.

2) Exactly. The Olympics were in Canada in 2010. If anything, it makes the option of the US even more compelling, seeing Salt Lake and Atlanta further off in the distance. As far as the Olympics goes - North America does not exist, it is The Americas, and it is hosting 2016.

3) The IOC has a vendetta against the US? Is that why they awarded them four Olympics in the space of 22 years? Chicago came last for 2016 for three reasons: a) bloc voting, B) funding agreements c) and because someone had to come last, and it was Brazil's time. Not sure what this has to do with Toronto, though?

4) The Pan Am Games prove nothing. They are small fry compared to the Olympics. I have no doubt that Toronto will host them with ease, but initially the city seem to stumble with even getting a reasonable venue plan together.

I have no doubt that Toronto can and eventually will host a wonderful Olympics - but it won't do it for any of the above reasons.

This has been my feeling all a long.

Which would put it at the same waiting as Japan (1998-2020). The first repeat host with summer being the second games, after the split in 94.

But 2024 is also 22 years after SLC ;)

Ok wise guy, about Point 3). You missed my point. Ever since the Salt Lake bid was awarded, the IOC has been negative to the US. A US bid would have more strength now because as we know, time heals all wounds.

As for Toronto, do you not remember what happened for 2008? Toronto's bid in 2012 would have been a slam dunk if Vancouver didn't sweep in and ruin it for us. Vancouver gets a nice rapid transit line funded by the feds, us in the GTA still get nothing. The 2030s outright scare me, the GTA will probably have a population of close to 10 million by 2032, congestion is in dire levels in Toronto right now compared to other cities in developed countries. Congestion not just on freeways, which is really bad, but within public transit as well. There is no serious plans to help improve this, all the politicians do is bicker at each other and point fingers. An Olympics would hopefully get people to shut up and work together, as they need to "prove" something to the world stage.

Ok wise guy, about Point 3). You missed my point. Ever since the Salt Lake bid was awarded, the IOC has been negative to the US. A US bid would have more strength now because as we know, time heals all wounds.

As for Toronto, do you not remember what happened for 2008? Toronto's bid in 2012 would have been a slam dunk if Vancouver didn't sweep in and ruin it for us. Vancouver gets a nice rapid transit line funded by the feds, us in the GTA still get nothing. The 2030s outright scare me, the GTA will probably have a population of close to 10 million by 2032, congestion is in dire levels in Toronto right now compared to other cities in developed countries. Congestion not just on freeways, which is really bad, but within public transit as well. There is no serious plans to help improve this, all the politicians do is bicker at each other and point fingers. An Olympics would hopefully get people to shut up and work together, as they need to "prove" something to the world stage.

There is transit plans but the problem is getting the necessary funding for it.

As for 2012 being a slam dunk, no it wouldn't have. London & Paris still would have been the frontrunners and most likely won.

By the way, I'm not sure if you missed it but the USOC and the IOC came to an agreement with the revenue sharing so the relationship between the two has improved.

Now we are getting too much into local issues, but I will say one thing about this. You think having a LRV that will stop at red lights a big improvement to transit in the city? I am referring to the at grade section of the Eglinton LRT, and the Sheppard LRT. They can sugarcoat it all they want that it will have signal-priority, but that is nearly impossible to pull off with all the traffic light technology we use in Ontario. The MTO could think a bit outside the box, and not too far really, and can bring Highway 400 right down to the Gardiner Expressway without a big footprint and without any expropriation. Take a look on Highway 7 with their BRT and tell me if they have signal priority. Forget about funding, Metrolinx is a very weak plan and will get us nowhere with how our region is exploding in growth. I also see your image of Toronto lacks the "evil" Gardiner Expressway, is this a political statement? In this picture, is the Gardiner replace with an alternative underground freeway, or are we stuck with a huge 10 wane lide urban boulevard.

If the relationship between the IOC and USOC has improved as you say, than wouldn't a US bid be a slam dunk for 2024? I mean based on the points I said earlier about regions of the world, and English speaking countries? You told me that the Summer Games have never been outside Europe for more than 3 times, but who says that has to be case. Prior to 2010, I believe a European nation has never won a world cup outside of Europe, but it did happen. That is my point. And well yes, North America and South America are two seperate continents, Brazil being in South America is another factor in why Rio got 2016. The Olympics don't always have to return to Europe, things do change.

The Olympics don't always have to return to North America either. Considering the Euro-centric mindset of IOC, I'm sure they've had their fix of no -Euro hosts for the time being & would like to return to the "mother continent" sometime soon.

Now we are getting too much into local issues, but I will say one thing about this. You think having a LRV that will stop at red lights a big improvement to transit in the city? I am referring to the at grade section of the Eglinton LRT, and the Sheppard LRT. They can sugarcoat it all they want that it will have signal-priority, but that is nearly impossible to pull off with all the traffic light technology we use in Ontario. The MTO could think a bit outside the box, and not too far really, and can bring Highway 400 right down to the Gardiner Expressway without a big footprint and without any expropriation. Take a look on Highway 7 with their BRT and tell me if they have signal priority. Forget about funding, Metrolinx is a very weak plan and will get us nowhere with how our region is exploding in growth. I also see your image of Toronto lacks the "evil" Gardiner Expressway, is this a political statement? In this picture, is the Gardiner replace with an alternative underground freeway, or are we stuck with a huge 10 wane lide urban boulevard.

If the relationship between the IOC and USOC has improved as you say, than wouldn't a US bid be a slam dunk for 2024? I mean based on the points I said earlier about regions of the world, and English speaking countries? You told me that the Summer Games have never been outside Europe for more than 3 times, but who says that has to be case. Prior to 2010, I believe a European nation has never won a world cup outside of Europe, but it did happen. That is my point. And well yes, North America and South America are two seperate continents, Brazil being in South America is another factor in why Rio got 2016. The Olympics don't always have to return to Europe, things do change.

1. I never said the LRT would be a big improvement to transit in the city. But you know what, the Eglinton LRT will relieve a lot of the stress on the Eglinton TTC buses. I used to take the 32 Eglinton bus back in the day to go to highschool at Keele and Eglinton and the buses were always jam packed and roads congested. The Eglinton West area desperately needed a transportation improvement and the LRT ain't no subway but it should do the job.

2. I really didn't look out for the gardiner in my image. The image is of the Foster designed twin towers proposed for the Metro Toronto Convention Centre redevelopment which I really like. No political statement here.

3.Even with a better relationship with the IOC doesn't mean the USA is slam dunk now. It's all about timing and making sure they have the best candidate city which I personally don't think they have in their current crop of interested cities.

4.Yes, the IOC hasn't gone 3 cycles without returning to Europe. Your right, it doesn't have to be the case but I highly doubt the Euro-centric IOC will agree unless they have a serious feasible bid from South Africa that they would pass on Europe to go to Africa, which I don't think will happen. The USA will be an option if one of the European bids screws up and falters and the African bid is not feasible.

5. What does the World Cup have to do with the Olympics?

6. I agree, North and South America are different continents. But it's been said the IOC views it as one continent, the "Americas".

Edited by dave199

So... the Olympic Games (which only comes around every 4 years) should be awarded to Canada for a fourth time so one of its cities can get its planning department into get and fix things? Wow. So moving. You're going to have Nawal in tears.

Also - you really think Toronto could have "slam dunked' 2012, without Vancouver? :lol: Can you please explain how that would have happened?

• Like 1

wow, the negativity in this forum...

Toronto has an excellent transit system compared to the overwhelming majority of "New World" cities, we just look feeble when our subway system is compared to Western Europe, East Asia and New York City. Our bus/streetcar network and frequency are top notch however, only New York tops us in the Americas in that department.

I don't think the Jane Street bus is indicative of Toronto's transit system, Jane/Finch along with Dundas East have to be the most ghetto parts of Toronto.

All Toronto 2012 would've done would be to split the English vote further & give the games to Paris easily. This doesn't mean that a Toronto Olympics is dead & buried does it, only that they don't think 2024 is worth the hassle.

So if Toronto has ruled out Bidding, could other cities like Montreal or Edmonton Bid?

It's possible, but Toronto was the only city interested and only Montreal and Vancouver could feasibly host the Summer Olympics.

It's possible, but Toronto was the only city interested and only Montreal and Vancouver could feasibly host the Summer Olympics.

It won't be Vancouver, too near to the 2010 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, Montreal might have a chance now to be Canada's Candidate, I wouldn't rule out Edmonton. They have the Commonwealth Games Facilities they could upgrade.

It won't be Vancouver, too near to the 2010 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, Montreal might have a chance now to be Canada's Candidate, I wouldn't rule out Edmonton. They have the Commonwealth Games Facilities they could upgrade.

Given the total fiscal disaster of the 1976 Games, I'm sure Montreal and its people just cannot wait to do it all over again...

And Edmonton is just as likely ever to host as are Tulsa, Leipzig, Lille or Astana.

Given the total fiscal disaster of the 1976 Games, I'm sure Montreal and its people just cannot wait to do it all over again...

And Edmonton is just as likely ever to host as are Tulsa, Leipzig, Lille or Astana.

Lol. That was brilliant how you compared Edmonton to Tulsa, Leipzig, Lille and Astana. I agree totally. I still have no idea why the German Olympic Committee chose Leipzig as it's Candidate instead of Berlin or Munich. Even Hamburg, Dortmund or Frankfurt would of been a better choice than Leipzig.

1. I never said the LRT would be a big improvement to transit in the city. But you know what, the Eglinton LRT will relieve a lot of the stress on the Eglinton TTC buses. I used to take the 32 Eglinton bus back in the day to go to highschool at Keele and Eglinton and the buses were always jam packed and roads congested. The Eglinton West area desperately needed a transportation improvement and the LRT ain't no subway but it should do the job.

2. I really didn't look out for the gardiner in my image. The image is of the Foster designed twin towers proposed for the Metro Toronto Convention Centre redevelopment which I really like. No political statement here.

3.Even with a better relationship with the IOC doesn't mean the USA is slam dunk now. It's all about timing and making sure they have the best candidate city which I personally don't think they have in their current crop of interested cities.

4.Yes, the IOC hasn't gone 3 cycles without returning to Europe. Your right, it doesn't have to be the case but I highly doubt the Euro-centric IOC will agree unless they have a serious feasible bid from South Africa that they would pass on Europe to go to Africa, which I don't think will happen. The USA will be an option if one of the European bids screws up and falters and the African bid is not feasible.

5. What does the World Cup have to do with the Olympics?

6. I agree, North and South America are different continents. But it's been said the IOC views it as one continent, the "Americas".

So, as I believe like many others, one of the strongest factors the IOC chose Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Summer Olympics because they are the first South American Hosts, if the IOC thought North and South America as 1 Continent 'Americas', then Rio de Janeiro would of not got the 2016 Summer Olympics, Tokyo or Chicago would of, probably Tokyo.

Lol. That was brilliant how you compared Edmonton to Tulsa, Leipzig, Lille and Astana. I agree totally. I still have no idea why the German Olympic Committee chose Leipzig as it's Candidate instead of Berlin or Munich. Even Hamburg, Dortmund or Frankfurt would of been a better choice than Leipzig.

You just contradicted yourself. You agreed that Edmonton was like Tulsa but stated earlier that you wouldn't rule them out of hosting the Games.

Lots of speculation that 2032 might be the year for Toronto. My concern is if the city bids for 2028 and loses again, that the support for 2032 might not be there. People here will spin it off as we wasted a ton of money for the 2028 bid and failed for a third time. Should we just pass on a 2028 bid and wait for 2032? Of course, a 2032 bid will depend on if the USA hosts any of '24 or '28. I'm begining to think the USA will start to get fed up and just bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics instead and win. I understand that the USOC wants to host the Summer Olympics but they shouldn't have passed on a 2022 Winter Olympics bid. I think it would have been pretty much set in stone that the OG would be returning back to the USA.

You just contradicted yourself. You agreed that Edmonton was like Tulsa but stated earlier that you wouldn't rule them out of hosting the Games.

I wouldn't rule them out because I dont think the Canadian Olympic Committee would rule them out.

For Summer Olympics, Toronto is the COC's priority.

I agree, I'm just saying that anything could change. By time the 2028 Summer Bid Process Starts, the Toronto Mayor might not want to Bid, Economy might be different, difference in people power, and Toronto wouldn't of won 2024 anyway, not because it wouldn't have a good Bid, but because they won't have 3 Games in a row outside Europe, which is why I think Rome (if they Bid) will win, if they don't Bid, then Paris will win IMHO. If Paris does win, it won't be because of the centenary theory. If the IOC chose cities for the Centenary option, then Athens would of Hosted 1996 Summer Olympics, instead, they chose Atlanta. Also, Cities could use that as an excuse to get the Games and it would repeat the Hosting Pattern every 100 Years.

Best case scenario for Toronto, and a situation I can see happening:

2024- Europe/South Africa

2026 Winter- USA

2028- Loser of 2024

2030 Winter- Asia

2032- Toronto

If the US does not get a Winter Games between then, then 2032 could very well be a showdown between Toronto and USA.

I think 2024 was wishful thinking tbh, and so is 2028. Let's sit out 2028, because it looks likely that the stars could align for Toronto in 2032.

Best case scenario for Toronto, and a situation I can see happening:

2024- Europe/South Africa

2026 Winter- USA

2028- Loser of 2024

2030 Winter- Asia

2032- Toronto

If the US does not get a Winter Games between then, then 2032 could very well be a showdown between Toronto and USA.

I think 2024 was wishful thinking tbh, and so is 2028. Let's sit out 2028, because it looks likely that the stars could align for Toronto in 2032.

What I can personally see happening and my reasons for this scenario is:

2022: Oslo/Lillehammer, Norway (Europe).

2024: Rome, Italy (Europe).

2026: Denver, Usa (North America).

2028: Durban, South Africa (Africa).

2030: Krakow, Poland (Europe).

2032: Paris, France (Europe).

2034: Almaty, Kazakhstan (Asia).

2036: Toronto, Canada (North America).

PS: Some of you might think that I'm predicting too far forward. My reasons are that I wanted to note that I think Toronto will host the Summer Olympics, but in 2036, because 2024 is coming to Rome (they won't have 3 Non-European Hosts in a Row), 2028 Durban (First African Olympic Host), 2032 Paris (They won't have 2 Non-European Hosts for a long time since Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020), then Toronto 2036.

For those mentioning Edmonton... I live in Edmonton, it's NOT going to be a contender for any Summer Olympics any time soon. We had a bozo mayor at one time that wanted to bid for 2008 but that was quickly shut down. Our basic infrastructure like our roads and bridges are falling apart, we have a city council that refuses to find funding for light rail transit to an area of the city that required it about thirty years ago. We can't even get basic blading down to pavement to get rid of the ruts from our snow.

I am as big a Olympic Games fanatic as you will ever meet, but Edmonton bidding would be nothing more than a joke. Universiade is realistic, The Olympics? not on your life.