Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

The biggest supporter of the bid on Council DMW, is now the deputy mayor of the city.

What about the new mayor himself?

Also, I'm visiting Toronto this weekend, is it worth swinging by some of the areas to check out the venues? I was thinking of going to the soccer stadium and have a look around.

• 2 weeks later...

What about the new mayor himself?

Also, I'm visiting Toronto this weekend, is it worth swinging by some of the areas to check out the venues? I was thinking of going to the soccer stadium and have a look around.

John Tory is a big supporter of sport and the Olympics.

Speaking of which, he was very vague but in this article about the Pan Am games and mishandling with expenses he does make this comment towards the end. From what I take from it, once the 2015 Pan Ams are complete, Tory and his team will access everything and make a decision whether Toronto should reboot the 2024 bid they had going earlier. The Toronto bid isn't 100% dead,

But Tory also cautioned people from letting these issues detract from the overall experience of hosting the games. The mayor said he still plans to be one of the biggest cheerleaders for the event.

“I believe very strongly we can’t let this infect the overall Pan Am celebration,” he said. “It’s a very important thing for the city that Pan Am succeeds.”

Tory said the city will see the benefit of games when it comes to new facilities, housing and completion of the UP Express to Pearson Airport.

“Let’s look at the glass as being more than half full and say to ourselves we have got to make a success of this,” he said.

Tory wouldn’t say if these spending issues put a damper on any future plans for another Toronto bid to host the Olympic Games.

“I think you take these things one step at a time,” he said. “For now, my sights are focused squarely on making sure I help the Pan-Am team and the city and the province make this a big success and then if there’s something more to be done after that you assess it, in light of our experience with Pan-Am.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/14/pan-am-expenses-defy-common-sense-mayor-john-tory

The biggest supporter of the bid on Council DMW, is now the deputy mayor of the city.

Yeah, now he's Tory's second in power. The right people are in power in Toronto to reboot this bid. Ford would flat out deny it once again.

Edited by dave199
  • Like 1

John Tory is a big supporter of sport and the Olympics.

Speaking of which, he was very vague but in this article about the Pan Am games and mishandling with expenses he does make this comment towards the end. From what I take from it, once the 2015 Pan Ams are complete, Tory and his team will access everything and make a decision whether Toronto should reboot the 2024 bid they had going earlier. The Toronto bid isn't 100% dead,

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/14/pan-am-expenses-defy-common-sense-mayor-john-tory

Yeah, now he's Tory's second in power. The right people are in power in Toronto to reboot this bid. Ford would flat out deny it once again.

Ford has cancer, he's not saying anything.

It would be only if he hadn't tarnished the cities image before hand. Even then, I feel a little bad for the guy.

Possibly among ignorant Americans and some people around the world the image was tarnished, but man what a great place to visit, as well as live! I was just there 2 weekends ago and had an amazing time. I did the less touristy stuff this time around and had a slightly more pleasant experience because it was so relaxed and I wasn't trying to rush and squeeze visiting museums, Casa Loma, the Zoo and CN Tower into my schedule that was thrown off course by being drunk lol

The only time I didn't enjoy myself was the Christmas Market. Too many damn people, and it's not all that fun when you go by yourself.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Boston's support is declining and Paris might not bid. Should be enough for Toronto to throw its hat into the ring.

Paris might not bid? All media is saying that they will likely put in a bid, unless there's some new news that came out today stating otherwise. And support for Boston right now is low because it's at a low priority right now seeing as they're still dealing with weather issues. Come summer and fall and I think people will be more receptive to the bid.

Boston's support is declining and Paris might not bid. Should be enough for Toronto to throw its hat into the ring.

Just need someone to get behind it, which I don't see happening unfortunately. We could see some rumbles after than Pan Ams I guess

It is coming to the end. Even if someone now thinks there is enough potential to launch a bid to get through all the hurdles, set things up and have things ready to go by the end of this year is very unlikely. Toronto missed the boat again. It is not like they were going to win so it was of little consequence anyways.

If a Toronto application goes in, it will come from the same Pan Am group, my understanding is they were the ones spearheading it before the previous lunatic mayor vetoed it in 2011. There's been some logos and things floating around suggesting they may still be laying the groundwork, should the Pan Am Games be a success in 2015 (and if I know anything about Toronto, it sure as hell will be) there's a good probability they could put in a solid bid by the 2016 deadline. Getting Toronto selected as the candidate city in September 2015 (after the Pan Ams) shouldn't be a problem as Toronto is the only city the COC would even consider, it just remains to be seen if the political support is there.

My guess is the support is there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's assuming the USOC just pulls the plug entirely in that case & doesn't decide to go with someone else like Los Angeles.

Yes. Though LA being stigmatised as second choice could be a risk and I think Toronto could hold its own against LA anyway.

Yes. Though LA being stigmatised as second choice could be a risk and I think Toronto could hold its own against LA anyway.

Maybe. But I still don't see them holding their own that well against the likes of Paris, Hamburg or even Rome.