Photo

Vancouver's Medals Just Ugly?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 LuigiVercotti

LuigiVercotti

Flag Bearer Level 2

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2661 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

So, anyone else got a beef with the aesthetics of the Vancouver medals (they look a bit like metal slabs that have been badly cut, with all the bends and warps of an old vinyl record left in the sun):

Posted Image

Of course for some reason the OWG organisers have consistently trotted out whacko designs avoiding the classic beauty of the SOG medals. You have to go back to Lillehammer and Albertville for the last classy designs for OWG medals...
"We can guarantee you that not a single armoured division will get done over for fifteen bob a week."

#2 nykfan845

nykfan845

Flag Bearer Level 2

• Premium Members
  • 2534 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

They look like they've been run over by a train, IMO. So flat and potato chip like.
Would rather wipe my ass with $35 than use it to buy your book. At least I could clean it and use it again later.
--PyroKinesis on baron's "book"

#3 NY20??

NY20??

Flag Bearer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1939 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

I'm a sucker for deep, thought-out concepts behind any piece of Olympic design. And these are packed with them - so I like them. The orca, the waves, the mountains; they all come together very well here.

#4 Sir Rols

Sir Rols

Outside the Bubble

• Premium Members
  • 20710 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

I've always liked them, gotta say. All part, really of the fact that the WOGs aren't as burdened by tradition as tightly as the Summers.
jhig.jpg 

#5 Dinhu4ever

Dinhu4ever

Gold

• Premium Members
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

As a matter of fact, I'm quite fond of them. I think everything about them is great, really. The shape, the unusually large size, the motives, the position of the olympic rings. I think the silver one is particularly beautiful. :)

#6 4seasonscentre

4seasonscentre

Gold

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

they are very beautiful!

It's funny when former medal winners who are presenting medals at these games wear theirs, because medals seem to have gotten bigger and bigger over the years.

they are friggin huge!

#7 LuigiVercotti

LuigiVercotti

Flag Bearer Level 2

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2661 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

I've always liked them, gotta say. All part, really of the fact that the WOGs aren't as burdened by tradition as tightly as the Summers.

Not sure if I agree with the concept of being 'burdened' by tradition, particularly considering the whole concept of the modern Olympics is based on the reviving the tradition of multidisciplinary sports from Ancient Greece (but that's another discussion). Tradition is a powerful component of the Olympics and has a value that can't be considered a burden (unless you refer to the weight of expectation successful games generate from past years).

For me the aesthetics of Albertville's and Lillehammer's medals merge that engagement with tradition with being designs apart from the classic SOG medal format:

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by eusebius65, 19 February 2010 - 10:41 PM.

"We can guarantee you that not a single armoured division will get done over for fifteen bob a week."

#8 faster

faster

Torch Bearer 10000 Club

• Premium Members
  • 14751 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

I like them. They are simple and elegant. Honestly the winter medals have been better than the summer medals since 1992 with Albertville's. The summer medals are too busy and the front is ugly. I think the host should be allowed to design a medal with a Greek front theme but their own take on it. Look at SLC's medal design with their use of Nike.

Barcelona's, Atlanta's and Athens medals were bland, uninspired and plain.

I like Sydney's because of the finish. It was well done. Beijing's use of jade and that very beautiful back was wonderful.

Edited by Faster, 19 February 2010 - 10:42 PM.

Vive la France

#9 micheal_warren

micheal_warren

Flag Bearer Level 6

• Premium Members
  • 6225 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

I quite like the medal design. Very contemporary and cool

#10 747

Silver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

potato chip, too big, but Vancouver has been consistent in odd (ugly) design choices, don't get me started on that cauldron, worst in Olympic history.

I used to have this ideal image of Vancouver and Canada, these games are just screwing all that up, has there ever been a city who's reputation was damaged by a games?.........now lets see..........were there any others..............most cities make large gains in the prestige department but there must be a couple with the opposite affect???? Say a city whose budget overruns were legendary, and the laughing stock of the world ever since 1976......now it's just on the tip of my tongue. Perhaps a city that had to commence with the game with unfinished major venues due to total mismanagement and overreach......hmmmmmmm.........who could it be.

Anyway.....GO TORONTO 2024!