Ahmedabad 2036

AustralianFan

2 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

I mean, I guess its on brand for the IOC anointing all the world's third tier cities that never would have won under the old voting system. Ahmedabad is basically the Brisbane of India. 

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

Unlike Brisbane, it isn‘t even 3rd biggest city of India. It‘s only selling point is that it‘s Modi‘s home ground basically in Gujarat.

Yeah, but more importantly, is Modi an IOC VP, though?! :D

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

Unlike Brisbane, it isn‘t even 3rd biggest city of India. It‘s only selling point is that it‘s Modi‘s home ground basically in Gujarat.

We all know Fencing 1976 loves another subpar man of personal bias! We know Bid Advisor, Brisbane 1992 had a score to settle. 

Narenda 'Largest Cricket Stadium in The World, 2021' Modi will be no different. 

TBH though I don't really mind the less famous cities getting a go (hell, I'm from Melbourne - so I definitely support this notion!). But I'm yet to see any evidence that Ahmedabad is a better option over the likes of Delhi or Mumbai?
Yes Delhi's 2010 Commonwealth Games were less than ideal, but that was an organisational issue more than it was a city issue. Delhi in fact does have some close to Olympic standard infrastructure remaining from 2010, and has progressively expanded its urban infrastructure (including subways) significantly since then. 

Why Ahmedabad?

I do really like the idea of India hosting 2036.

• Thanks 1

Also - if Cricket is on the Olympic program in 2036 they're probably going to want the World's Largest Cricket Stadium available for.. cricket! 

No reason why a Delhi 2036 Olympics couldn't spread events like that around India (eg. Sailing / Surfing / Triathlon in Mumbai or Kerala; marquee event north of the river in Agra with views of the Taj Mahal; Cricket in Ahmedabad, etc..)

8 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

TBH though I don't really mind the less famous cities getting a go (hell, I'm from Melbourne - so I definitely support this notion!). But I'm yet to see any evidence that Ahmedabad is a better option over the likes of Delhi or Mumbai?
Yes Delhi's 2010 Commonwealth Games were less than ideal, but that was an organisational issue more than it was a city issue. Delhi in fact does have some close to Olympic standard infrastructure remaining from 2010, and has progressively expanded its urban infrastructure (including subways) significantly since then. 

Why Ahmedabad?

I do really like the idea of India hosting 2036.

Have you been to Delhi? It's pollution issues are worse than Beijing. Infrastructure wise much of what remained fro  2010 will need significant upgrades (the Indira Gandhi Arena) will be 54 years old by that point. It's suburban infrastructure is still light years behind where it needs to be to meet the demands of an ever growing metropolis and it won't be fixed by 2036. Organizational issues and city issues go hand in hand and that's why Delhi's CWGs were such a failure. Not only that, India was passed over for the Asian Games in both 2014 and 2018. 

If you cannot handle the CWGs or convince the OCA to give you the Asian Games, you aren't capable of handling the Olympics. Bach can talk about India all he wants. It's nothing more than attention grabbing headlines. There's no way India can beat a "safe bid" from the likes of London, Germany, Seoul, or China.

1 hour ago, stryker said:

Have you been to Delhi? It's pollution issues are worse than Beijing. Infrastructure wise much of what remained fro  2010 will need significant upgrades (the Indira Gandhi Arena) will be 54 years old by that point. It's suburban infrastructure is still light years behind where it needs to be to meet the demands of an ever growing metropolis and it won't be fixed by 2036. Organizational issues and city issues go hand in hand and that's why Delhi's CWGs were such a failure. Not only that, India was passed over for the Asian Games in both 2014 and 2018. 

If you cannot handle the CWGs or convince the OCA to give you the Asian Games, you aren't capable of handling the Olympics. Bach can talk about India all he wants. It's nothing more than attention grabbing headlines. There's no way India can beat a "safe bid" from the likes of London, Germany, Seoul, or China.

But the IOC can now do what it wants, and it it feels it can manage risk in the 11 year lead in time you might just see those other cities/countries blindsided by a random announcement that India is in Targeted Dialogue. 

(I don't necessarily like it, but it shows how ambiguous the New Norm is). 

6 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

But the IOC can now do what it wants, and it it feels it can manage risk in the 11 year lead in time you might just see those other cities/countries blindsided by a random announcement that India is in Targeted Dialogue. 

Yeah.

For all the benefits of flexibility that the “new norm” might bring (it may save the IOC’s skins in the 2030 search, for example), I can’t but think that it really really needs some more transparency built in - so potential bidders know where they stand in regards to rival bids, and so the public can know what their NOCs and Governments are planning or getting into on their behalf. Surely that’s a basic essential. 

• Like 1

There's good and bad with the new norm.  It's great that cities are no longer on the hook to spend tens of millions on a bid to potentially walk away with nothing.  The "fewer losers" mantra is a good path.  But I agree with Rols.. there needs to be some level of transparency, especially if this is the bid the IOC prefers.  Tell us why you believe this is where you want to hold your once-every-four-years event.  We've seen the IOC struggle with new frontier type bids like they did with Rio in 2016.  Looked like a great choice when they were selected in 2009.  Less so 7 years later.  Having a longer runway to prep themselves is obviously a good thing.  In the case of India though, they have a lot of question to answer whether or not they can pull this off.  I remain highly skeptical this is where they want to be, the IOC's usual diplomacy or otherwise

21 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

TBH though I don't really mind the less famous cities getting a go (hell, I'm from Melbourne - so I definitely support this notion!).

Well, even from an American POV, Melbourne would've still made more sense than Brisbane. Melbourne is Australia's second city (much like L.A. is the U.S.' second city), & bigger in many ways than Brisbane is. But most of us here already know why Brisbane ran away with it, & it had nothing to do with 'giving medium-size cities a chance at hosting', cause that theory has already been debunked.

21 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

But I'm yet to see any evidence that Ahmedabad is a better option over the likes of Delhi or Mumbai?

Other than being much larger than Brisbane is, I haven't seen any evidence either, other than (as already been mentioned) being the hometown of a certain Indian PM. The first Olympics of any country should be in it's principal city. This would be like China going with Nanjing or yikes, Wuhan back for 2008. Maybe when it's also India's third Olympics can perhaps 'the Brisbane of India' give it a shot then! :lol:

The Summer Olympics are a once every 4 years event.  They should be primarily for the most famous of cities.  It doesn't have to be the biggest of the big and I say that as a New Yorker who knows well enough that LA is much better suited for an Olympics than we are (and 1 of my tour guides in Melbourne even gave me crap in a group that included someone from Rio and someone from Tokyo that I was the one who isn't from an Olympic city), but this is supposed to be a major showcase for a country.  If India is showing themselves off to the world, are they really hoping that Ahmedabad is going to be that draw?  Not Mumbai or Delhi?

9 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

The Summer Olympics are a once every 4 years event.  They should be primarily for the most famous of cities.  It doesn't have to be the biggest of the big and I say that as a New Yorker who knows well enough that LA is much better suited for an Olympics than we are (and 1 of my tour guides in Melbourne even gave me crap in a group that included someone from Rio and someone from Tokyo that I was the one who isn't from an Olympic city), but this is supposed to be a major showcase for a country.  If India is showing themselves off to the world, are they really hoping that Ahmedabad is going to be that draw?  Not Mumbai or Delhi?

Where was this, out of interest?

I doubt most Australians would even know whether New York has or has not hosted the Olympics before. Or care.

On 9/7/2023 at 6:31 PM, Australian Kiwi said:

Sure the IOC can do what it wants, but they also aren't complete stupid either. Corrupt yes, stupid no. Forgetting the fact India's only successful recent hosting of a big time sporting event was the ICC Cricket WC (they are hosting it solo this year) and they don't have much to fall back on experience wise. Their most recent Asian Games hosting was 1982 and the OCA has passed them over since then.

If that's not enough the experience of the last new frontier in Rio de Janeiro is enough to kill any Indian bid. Last, the IOC is a PR mess right now. They recognize they need safe hosta. That means as long as the likes of London, Korea, China, Germany (all Western Europe), the U.S. Canada, Japan, or Australia  it's a no go for the SOGs. 

31 minutes ago, Roger87 said:

And not just Rio, even if this is a Youth SOG, Dakar is getting a nightmare to the IOC right now. The idea of new frontier will be last until further notice.

The only place I've heard about issues regarding Dakar 2026 is on this site, and even then it's only broad mention. What exactly are these issues? The IOC appears to be alright with Dakar and Senegal so far. The only issues were around 2020 regarding funding and the creation of the OCOG, but that was 3 years ago and no real mention of it since.

5 hours ago, FYI said:

That could be because hardly anyone outside these forums (& even then, that's only about a handful, if that) really follows the YOG's. Even the Paralympics get more coverage. 

Yep.

In case, when these were 2022 YOG, Dakar shows a series of issues classical on the development of "new frontiers" - huge delays in building venues, inner corruption and maximum costs... Which came to the IOC to put order. In part, having passed the event to 2026 for the COVID-19 saved a little bit the face of Dakar 2026. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

“Days after Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi confirmed that the country will bid to host the 2036 Olympics, prominent sports economist Andrew Zimbalist said that it will be extraordinarily difficult for a developing country like India to host the multibillion-dollar sports event.”

Extraordinarily Difficult For India To Pull Off 2036 Olympics, Says American Sports Economist

22 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

“Days after Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi confirmed that the country will bid to host the 2036 Olympics, prominent sports economist Andrew Zimbalist said that it will be extraordinarily difficult for a developing country like India to host the multibillion-dollar sports event.”

Extraordinarily Difficult For India To Pull Off 2036 Olympics, Says American Sports Economist

In other news, the water is wet and the sky is blue. 

• 2 months later...

1 hour ago, GBModerator said:

President Macron conveyed that France would share its experience of hosting the Paris Olympics and Paralympics 2024 in context of India’s bid to host the Olympics and Paralympics Games in 2036, in particular by exchanging expertise regarding the organization of major international sporting events

View the full article

Quite an interesting move from Macron’s to offer assistance for India’s bid to host the 2036 Olympic Games.  

Usually assistance is offered from one elected Olympic host to another elected host to organise the actual Games. But in this case the offer is to help with bidding for the Games.

In India’s case they are far from being an elected Olympic Games.  Still, we may not be far from a 2036 host being elected - its 2024 now and the trend of late is for the IOC to select and elected a preferred bidder a long way in advance of the Games, around 10-11 years ahead.