Russia 2036

Or perhaps there is something more there, which may be why he's making such a statement. In these IOC days where everything is done so "hush-hush" now, ain't no telling what is really going on anymore behind those closed doors at Lausaunne Headquaters.

And what's really interesting there, is that he mentions Moscow as the potential host. Although, I've mentioned before, when St. Petersburg was always talked about, that another Moscow attempt (after their failed 2012 bid) wouldn't surprise me. It's after all, Putin's main playground. 

Hmm... that sounds a lot like they've agreed a deal in principle to award 2036 to Russia as a country, and are now just deciding which city it'll be - I hope it's St Petersburg of the two, it's a remarkable city and just by not having the Kremlin in it, it seems like a less power gaming, political side of Russia than Moscow would...if it happens I wouldn't put it past Putin to give the place its 4th name though :P I assume it's only Madrid or Istanbul can stop them, talking of which:

https://www.gamesbids.com/forums/topic/32724-15th-annual-gamesbids-olympic-logo-competition/

If Mr. Olympic champion fencing 1976 has made a deal with his pal in the kremlin, he better hurry. He won't be in office for longer than 2025 (unless he finds a way to to prolong his presidency. Perhaps meeting Putin and Xi for the Beijing opening ceremony will inspire him in that regard, though).

I think it's jumping the gun a bit to assume Russia has 2036 in the bag. Having said that, as long as Russia puts forth Moscow or St. Petersburg they will be serious contenders. Moscow would need a new Olympic Stadium as the athletics track in Luzhniki was removed as part of its renovation for the 2018 World Cup, but money and white elephants are no problem for Putin and co. Russia's ban ends on December 17th next year and FINA has already given the go ahead for the 2022 world championships to take place in Kazan. Of particular note, is WADA is supporting FINA's decision.

FINA receives WADA backing to host 2022 World Swimming Championships in Russia (insidethegames.biz)

Given the latest news coming out of Russia this week (Memorial trial & ban, mandatory medical check for foreign workers every 3 months, let alone Ukraine), the best thing the IOC can do these days to further undermine their already disastrous reputation is making a quick backroom deal with the Tsar.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 5:55 AM, StefanMUC said:

Given the latest news coming out of Russia this week (Memorial trial & ban, mandatory medical check for foreign workers every 3 months, let alone Ukraine), the best thing the IOC can do these days to further undermine their already disastrous reputation is making a quick backroom deal with the Tsar.

Lol, yeah. And considering that Bach is also "close" to said Tsar, & so is Kolinda, who was also appointed by Bach himself to the wonderful & "neutral" (lol) FHC, & will oversee where 2036 is allocated to. And then when ROC president says that Moscow should be that host, only someone who is on Cloud 9 can't see the "reality" in the making here. 

• 2 weeks later...

well a little nugget from "maybe itll be moscow".  I think his yearly presidential brief just put the kebosh on that.  Hes a St. Petersburg Ride Or Die man.

As for my place of residence, you said “other than Moscow and St Petersburg.” Why did you exclude Moscow and St Petersburg? These cities are part of the Russian Federation as well, and I was born in one of them. It is my hometown, so when you asked this question, my first thought was about St Petersburg.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2021 at 2:40 AM, stryker said:

I think it's jumping the gun a bit to assume Russia has 2036 in the bag. Having said that, as long as Russia puts forth Moscow or St. Petersburg they will be serious contenders. Moscow would need a new Olympic Stadium as the athletics track in Luzhniki was removed as part of its renovation for the 2018 World Cup, but money and white elephants are no problem for Putin and co. Russia's ban ends on December 17th next year and FINA has already given the go ahead for the 2022 world championships to take place in Kazan. Of particular note, is WADA is supporting FINA's decision.

FINA receives WADA backing to host 2022 World Swimming Championships in Russia (insidethegames.biz)

How "game ready" is St. Petersburg?  From what I gather, all they really need is a track stadium, which unlike England or Spain, we know Vova Putin will happily build with not a flinch.  Anything else?  I think St. Petersburg's airport could absolutely use a good sprucing up, that thing is depressing AF even by Russia's low standards.  

12 hours ago, iceman530 said:

How "game ready" is St. Petersburg?  From what I gather, all they really need is a track stadium, which unlike England or Spain, we know Vova Putin will happily build with not a flinch.  Anything else?  I think St. Petersburg's airport could absolutely use a good sprucing up, that thing is depressing AF even by Russia's low standards.  

My money's still on Moscow.