Russia 2036

24 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

You live in a fantasy world about this continuous dialogue for 2036.

Germany (especially Rhine-Ruhr) has other things on the plate right now, and as FYI said above, the IOC far more urgently needs to solve the 2030/2034 issues.

Continuous Dialogue is the reality buddy.  Get used to it because you are going to hear a lot about it.

The 2032 field, except for Brisbane, are in Continous Dialogue.

It’s up to those candidatures in Continuous Dialogue to convince the IOC Future Host Commission, if they tick all the boxes, inclsuing any new canidatures such as Russia.

That is the reality of how it works - like it or lump it.

It’s not up to me, you or anyone else to convince the IOC Future Host Commisson to elevate them to the Targeted Dialogue phase..

It’s up to each Candidature in Continuous Dialogue phase themselves to overcome any problems they have or had and do that.

The timing of when this happens is up to the IOC Future Host Commission.

They have shown that they do this at a particular point in time of their choosing.

2 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

Let me guess, someone loves and defends this new, shady and probably corrupt new bidding process just because it gave Brisbane the organization of the 2032 olympics?

The next cab off the rank is to see which candidature is elevated out of Continous Dialogue to Targeted Dialogue for the 2030 Winter Games.

It's all very well cities being in vague dialogue, but until we see commitments from governments then the idea we have a "crowded field" for 2036 is nonsense. By the logic some are using here we could claim the IOC had a crowded field for the 2022 Winter Games!

We may end up with lots of cities vying for 2036, hoping to be conferred as the IOC's preferred city. Or the cities in dialogue might all fail to commit. We don't have a crowded field, we have several packets of unopened seeds in a farmer's shed.

And tbh, the IOC can formalise this process all it wants - and perhaps doing so will lead to more cities committing, that remains to be seen - but I wouldn't expect anything more than vague expressions of interest at this stage. It's 15 years away.

Edited by Rob.

1 minute ago, Rob. said:

It's all very well cities being in vague dialogue, but until we see commitments from governments then the idea we have a crowded field for 2036 is nonsense. We may do, or the cities in dialogue might fail to commit.

And tbh, I wouldn't expect anything more than vague expressions of interest at this stage. It's 15 years away.

Simply being in Continuous Dialogue does not speak to a candidate’s chances chances of getting a Games.  All it says that they are interested and are in talks with the IOC Future Host Commission.

Continuous Dialogue plus other interested parties is crowded.   

Who know who will stay the course and includes some wanna-be’s with no chance.

The list below is not confirmed as accurate, so happy to be corrected.

** I am not in the IOC and so I cannot confirm who exactly is in the Continuos Dialogue phase as at now.

**Chendong Qing, China - was interested in 2032, remains in the Continuous Dialogue phase

**Doha, Qatar - was interested in 2032, remains in the Continuous Dialogue phase

**Hungary, Budapest - was interested in 2032, remains in the Continuous Dialogue phase

**Madrid, Spain - was interested in 2032, remains in the Continuous Dialogue phase

**Mumbai, India - was interested in 2032, remains in the Continuous Dialogue phase

**South Korea / North Korea joint bid - was interested in 2032, remains in the Continuous Dialogue phase

**Jakarta, Indonesia - was interested in 2032, remains in the Continuous Dialogue phase

**Rhine Rhur, Germany - was interested in 2032, remains in the Continuous Dialogue phase

**St Petersberg, Russia - interested in 2036?

Toronto, Canada - was interested in 2032, ?but do not know if it is in the Continuous Dialogue phase

41 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

…  and that’s why it was all changed.

We can argue all day about what a "crowded field" means at this very early stage; whether it has any real meaning at all. The implementation of a more formal two-way process where interested cities can lean on the IOC's expertise at an earlier stage is a good thing (not a gamechanger), but I would still say the notion 2036 has a "crowded field" is a nonsense. You disagree, and that's fine. We're arguing semantics to some extent.

However, your analysis as far as this thread goes isn't just about semantics, and it's crazily optimistic. You said:

There are other viable candidates in a very crowded 2036 field that will make it easy for the Future Host Commission to by-pass Russia.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how you can have any real confidence that that's true. If Russia is serious (and that's also an 'if') relying on these expressions of interest solidifying into a defensive wall of solid bids is hugely optimistic. If we end up with only Russia and a flaky 'new frontier' showing serious interest (government support etc) then the equation is suddenly different, and I don't see that that's less likely than what you're saying.

You're relying very heavily on Bach's word; that his reforms will end up with the hoped for outcomes. Let's see...

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob. said:

We can argue all day about what a "crowded field" means at this very early stage, or whether it has any real meaning at all. The implementation of a more formal two-way process where interested cities can lean on the IOC's expertise at an earlier stage is a good thing, but I would still say would say the notion 2036 has a "crowded field" is a nonsense. You disagree, and that's fine.

However, your analysis as far as this thread goes is still pretty crazy. You said:

There are other viable candidates in a very crowded 2036 field that will make it easy for the Future Host Commission to by-pass Russia.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how you can have any real confidence that that's true. If Russia is serious (and that's also an 'if') relying on these expressions of interest solidifying into a defensive wall of solid bids is hugely optimistic. If we end up with only Russia and a flaky 'new frontier' showing serious interest (government support etc) then the equation is suddenly different, and I don't that that's less likely that what you're saying.

When the IOC Future Host Commission turns it’s attention to 2036, we will see who the wanna-be’s are and who is serious, who will drop out and who will drop in to Continuous Dialogue.

Until then, this is the lengthy field of interested cities/regions for future editions of the Olympic Games including 2036, until such a time when they withdraw interest or change their preference.

Continuous Dialogue is a new system for everyone.  

5 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

When the IOC Future Host Commission turns it’s attention to 2036, we will see who the wanna-be’s are and who is serious

Exactly, so we can't say if it's a decent field or not at this stage! Precisely the opposite of your premise as to why Russia has no hope.

5 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Until then, this is the lengthy field of interested cities/regions for future editions of the Olympic Games including 2036, until such a time when they withdraw interest or change their preference.

I would say that's backwards thinking, but fine. If you want to see it like that that's up to you.

Until we have a solid field of cities with government and public support we can't say it's a crowded field that will be a preventative against Russia hosting. That was the premise of your argument in this thread and it's optimistic at best.

6 minutes ago, Rob. said:

Exactly, so we can't say if it's a decent field or not at this stage! Precisely the opposite of your premise as to why Russia has no hope.

I would say that's backwards thinking, but fine. If you want to see it like that that's up to you.

Until we have a solid field of cities with government and public support we can't say it's a crowded field that will be a preventative against Russia hosting. That was the premise of your argument in this thread and it's optimistic at best.

Until then, this is the crowded and lengthy field of interested cities/regions for future editions of the Olympic Games including 2036, until such a time when they withdraw interest or change their preference.

If you're confident the current expressions of interest will absolutely solidify and prove enough of a defence against Russia hosting, fine. Let's just say I don't necessarily share that confidence.

Quick question; you haven't been advising Joe Biden recently have you? :ph34r:

Edited by Rob.

6 minutes ago, Rob. said:

If you're confident the current expressions of interest will absolutely solidify and prove enough of a defence against Russia hosting, fine. Let's just say I don't necessarily share that confidence.

Quick question; you haven't been advising Joe Biden recently have you? :ph34r:

This is crowded and lengthy field of interested cities/regions for future editions of the Olympic Games including 2036, until such a time when they withdraw interest or change their preference.

We’ll see who drops out or drops in when the time comes, like it or lump it.

This idea of a so-called "continuous dialogue" is misleading. It's vague and gives the impression that all is well in the IOC's world. Meanwhile, the WOGs have been left on the vine. It does not matter the number of so-called interested candidates (to my knowledge, Toronto was never interested in 2022). What matters is viable candidates. If you're looking at the ones from 2032, only western Europe and Russia are viable right now. Of course who knows what the field will look like. Given the toxic view of the IOC and the Olympics right now, Thomas Bach and John Coates should have both been shown the door a long time ago. I'm not a Trump fan, but it's a real shame he can't drop into Lausanne and deliver his classic "You're fired" line to Bach and Coates.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the minority here but I'd like to see Moscow give it another shot. They have almost everything in place. But St. Petersburg would be suitable as well. In fact I can't see any of the other Russian cities named being selected over the old imperial capital. The doping issue will be long over by the time a host city for 2036 is chosen so I expect Russia to be a serious contender if St. Petersburg is chosen by the ROC.

8 hours ago, stryker said:

The doping issue will be long over by the time a host city for 2036 is chosen so I expect Russia to be a serious contender …

Are you expecting the 2036 to be voted in on in 2029 ?     That’s the old way and the 7-year timeline is gone.

As we’ve all seen, a Host can be elevated to a vote up to 11 years ahead of the Games.  

For 2036, that’s only 4 years away.

Then we look at Arrogant Russia who is way way out in the cold having been banned from the last 3 Olympic Games since 2016.

Three Olympic Games Russia has been banned from and now heading into a 4th consecutive banishment from the Games in Beijing next year.

There’s no sign yet that Russia is going to be re-admitted for Beijing 2022, Paris 2024 or Milano-Cortina 2026.

Arrogant Russia have been dead in the water as far as any chance of hosting again for the last 5 consecutive years and will remain so for the next decade or so.

pAs we say in Australia, they’re f—-d.

9 hours ago, stryker said:

I'm in the minority here but I'd like to see Moscow give it another shot. They have almost everything in place. But St. Petersburg would be suitable as well. In fact I can't see any of the other Russian cities named being selected over the old imperial capital. The doping issue will be long over by the time a host city for 2036 is chosen so I expect Russia to be a serious contender if St. Petersburg is chosen by the ROC.

Are you expecting the 2036 to be voted in on in 2029 ?     That’s the old way and the 7-year timeline is gone.

As we’ve all seen, a Host can be elevated to a vote up to 11 years ahead of the Games.  

Then we look at Arrogant Russia who is way way out in the cold having been banned from the last 3 Olympic Games since 2016.

Three Olympic Games Russia has been banned from and now heading into a 4th consecutive banishment from the Games in Beijing next year.

There’s no sign yet that Russia is going to be re-admitted for Beijing 2022, Paris 2024 or Milano-Cortina 2026.

Arrogant Russia have been dead in the water as far as any chance of hosting again for the last 5 consecutive years and will remain so for the next decade or so.

As we say in Australia, they’re f—-d.

33 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

There’s no sign yet that Russia is going to be re-admitted for Beijing 2022, Paris 2024 or Milano-Cortina 2026.

Are you looking at the same Russia that just laughed at the world & won 71 medals at Tokyo 2020ne? Yeah, some so-called "banishment". It's naive to even think that the IOC will even continue this charade up until Milan 2026, let alone when there's suppose to decide on the 2036 Games.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Arrogant Russia have been dead in the water as far as any chance of hosting again for the last 5 consecutive years and will remain so for the next decade or so.

As we say in Australia, they’re f—-d.

The 2028 thing, was a formality towards L.A. because I.O.C. didn't want to lose the "perfect hosts (U.S.A.)" for future bids, 2032 was selected 11 years in advance, because it was a John Coates (Vice president, I.O.C.) handcraft. 2036 has no reason YET to be selected 11 years in advance, just as the 2030 W.O.G. which are set to be elected in 2023. So as long as there is no reason for an anticipated "selection", we can expect 2036 summer games to be awarded in 2029