Russia 2036

Russia eyes organization of 2036 Summer Olympic Games — Lavrov - Sport - TASS

Yup, good ole state media has reported on it.  Looks like their hat is officially in the ring.  Specifically mentions St. Petersburg and Kazan, and I reckon Sochi is the third.  According to the article, it  looks like maybe Rostov might have been looking at putting in a bid as well, but is being discouraged from doing so.

St. Pete has to be the favorite for a Russia bid.  How game ready are they?  I thought I read somewhere that they're basically one stadium away.  That's one Putin snap of the finger.  There will be no objections to that.  

Wait, I misread that.  It seems Lavrov is saying to Rostov if they want to make a bid that they should get it together quickly and dont waste time because other cities have already made their moves.  Seem's like Lavrov is trying to push them along and encourage them to make a bid in Rostov.  How would Rostov look?  How much infrastructure would they need to get up and going?

Bring it on.

Unless the next French and US elections go all wrong and neither SLC nor Canada will go for 2030/2034, it‘ll be 14 years since the last dictatorship hosting. That must be an uncomfortably long time for the folks in Lausanne having to deal with pesky democracies.

• Haha 2

Rostov, Kazan & especially Sochi (the winter host city that blew costs right out of the water, would be bad for PR) can just forget about it. I'm sure the IOC would hint at a more 'new norm' ready St. Petersburg anyway. It's the no-brainer Russian candidate of them all. But I am surprised why Moscow doesn't make another attempt after their failed 2012 endeavor.

Yeah I am absolutely bewildered that Rostov and Kazan are even being brought up.  Frankly if they're casting a wide net, why not throw Yekaterinburg's hat in the ring?  But even then, that would be an exercise in futility if St Petersburg went in.  Like FYI said, St Petersburg is a by far and away heavy Russian favorite.  It hasnt hosted a games, it is most game ready.  Why not just throw all efforts behind St Pete?  It would supposedly be the last year of Putin's rule and it could be his last big project before riding off into the sunset shirtless on a bear.

And hell, if you do a Russian games after a rhetorical St Petersburg success, just do Moscow again.  The 2nd tier Russian cities just make no sense IMO.  

3 hours ago, yoshi said:

Rostov?! I don't know much about the city pecking order in Russia but I doubt Rostov is even in the top 5 of sporting cities or international profile. 

It's also only 100-120km from the border with Ukraine and the ongoing war.

St Petersburg is the obvious choice. It's the most beautiful city in Russia, it is big enough to support the sports facilities, it has lots of tourism infrastructure, it is a port city so they can use cruise ships as temporary hotels, etc. And it's not an overtly political city like Moscow, so a games there could be about Russian people and culture instead of tsar Putin and the Russian state.

• Like 1

The Elephant in the room:  

Russian state sponsored doping

As far as Hosting an Olympic Games, Russia is out in the cold for years more, possibly decades until it can prove to the World Anti-Doping Agency and the International Olympic Committee it is has changed it’s ways.

Russia has a country has been banned from the last 3 Olympic Games 2016, 2018 and 2020.

No sign of genuine remorse or acceptance of responsibility from Russia.

Forget 2036.

The IOC cares about as much about Russia's state sponsored doping as FIFA does for the hundreds of slave laborers who died in Qatar.  That is wishful morality at this point, and that was validated by Tokyo 2020ne.  I think most of us see the writing on the wall there regardless of remorse or acceptance.  The IOC can point to 2020ne as "see, look, Russia paid the piper.  They were punished.  Now we can bring them back."  The pretense is already in place for bygones to be bygones.  

• Like 1

No. I think Russia is far too damaged goods to consider choosing for the moment. I think the IOC would be well aware that it would damage their brand at this point of time. I can sympathise that the idea of a St Petersburg games is appealing - I’d like to see it myself. But I can’t see the IOC touching it, unless they had no other choice, in the current climate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Would Russia be forgiven by 2029 for St. Pete to win 2036?  They are such f*cking CHEATS though.  

Sure would IMO. I would be shocked if it even took that long. The IOC doesnt care that theyre cheats or geopolitical bullies.  They care that Russia can host a nice Olympic party with no obstacles. 

Though, the idea that Lavrov is encouraging Rostov......a staging area for incursions into eastern Ukraine........to be an Olympic candidate.  Now that is truly hilarious.  Might as well ask Grozny to throw a bid in too.

Everyone saw the ROC in the 2020ne Olympics and how "sanctioned" they were.  People think they're going to really punish them?  really?  

2 hours ago, iceman530 said:

Sure would IMO. I would be shocked if it even took that long. The IOC doesnt care that theyre cheats or geopolitical bullies.  They care that Russia can host a nice Olympic party with no obstacles. 

Though, the idea that Lavrov is encouraging Rostov......a staging area for incursions into eastern Ukraine........to be an Olympic candidate.  Now that is truly hilarious.  Might as well ask Grozny to throw a bid in too.

Everyone saw the ROC in the 2020ne Olympics and how "sanctioned" they were.  People think they're going to really punish them?  really?  

They DO care when it’s damaging their brand. Like Sochi left such a bad taste and astronomical bill that it scared off any bidders for 2022 bar a few other autocracies in the end. I’m pretty sure they’re having nightmares about what’s gonna happen when the general public wake up to the fact next year is going to “honour” genocide central and spend whatever it takes China.

Edited by Sir Rols

I wish I could believe the IOC under Bach took this as seriously as it need to be taken. I'm not sure the record shows that.

I don't know. I think I lean towards Rols' analysis on balance, but it's going to be very much dependent on who else wants to bid. The IOC has been weak on Russia, but it's quite another thing to think they'd be overjoyed about the prospect of overseeing a potential Summer Sochi.

But...I wouldn't actually be surprised if Russia does end being picked.

Edited by Rob.

I wouldn't be surprised by a Russian selection, either (although it would have to be St. Pete). To quote once again one of my favorite GB's posters - it would have to come down again between a "giant douche & turd sandwich" :D like the 2022 race was at the end.

newest "inside the games" article says that we can expect the sanctions and punishment to expire before the end of 2022.  There ya go, dog and pony show complete.  

"Russia had expressed interest in hosting the 2032 Games when it had been the next available date following Paris in 2024 and Los Angeles in 2028, but the Russian Olympic Committee has been barred from entering a bid due to sanctions from the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) after it was found the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (Rusada) manipulated data to cover up doping violations.  Restrictions are expected to be lifted before the end of 2022."

There aren't that many viable candidates in the 2036 field right now outside of a candidate city from western Europe (forget India and Indonesia). The IOC needs to sort out the 2030 and 2034 WOGs (the WOGs are practically on life support) before evening thinking about 2036. By the time the 2036 race takes shape, I expect the whole doping scandal to be in the rear view mirror. Having said that, I find it difficult to see the IOC selecting a Russian candidate (with the exception of St. Petersburg) over a bid from either Madrid or London. St. Petersburg doesn't have a stadium for athletics but that's not an issue as dictatorships can build whatever they want. I'd actually prefer to see Moscow give it another go but St. Petersburg would be interesting.

3 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Nonsense.  

There is no magic bullet here to suddenly absolve Russia.

There are other viable candidates in a very crowded 2036 field that will make it easy for the Future Host Commission to by-pass Russia.

I dont think its nearly as viable or competitive as you think it is, agree to disagree.

Lol, & what are these "viable candidates in a 'very crowded' 2036 field" all of the sudden. The same ones that were for 2032, by chance. Lol, okay.

St. Petersburg (or Moscow) is (are) just as viable, if not moreso than any of those. The only wild cards are Germany & the Netherlands. And if neither of those show up, then Russia starts to look all that much more attractive. 

24 minutes ago, FYI said:

Lol, & what are these "viable candidates in a 'very crowded' 2036 field" all of the sudden. The same ones that were for 2032, by chance. Lol, okay.

St. Petersburg (or Moscow) is (are) just as viable, if not moreso than any of those. The only wild cards are Germany & the Netherlands. And if neither of those show up, then Russia starts to look all that much more attractive. 

Not by chance.

You do realise that Continuous Dialogue is the way it works now.

So apart from Brisbane, the rest of the 2032 field remain in Continuous Dialogue for future games.

Toronto, Madrid, Rhine Rhur Germany are just some of the 2032 interested cities/regions.

So before Russia have even put their hand up for 2036, ie entered Continuous Dialogue, there is already a field of candidates in there already and it will be up to them to get cracking and tick all the boxes required under the New Norm candidature process as Brisbane just did as the first one.

How long a candidate has been in Continuous Dialogue matters not.  It’s what you do while you’re in there that matters.

Russia is still dope-stained and banned from the Olympic Games as we speak. 

A rehabilitated Russia would be great for world sport and for those keen to to a Games in St Petersburg.

Let’s stay real here.    Actions speak louder than words as far as arrogant the arrogant Russian Government goes.

There is no indication in media reports or from the IOC that Russia is rehabilitating.  Maybe they are behind closed doors, who knows …  but all I know is that as a competing country, Russia is still currently banned from the Olympic Games.

The IOC is about to evict the whole sport of weightlifting from the Olympic Games. 

If Toronto, Rhine Rhur or Madrid could tick all the new boxes, they would have a much better chance for 2036 than a banned Russia with a recent dark doping history.