London 2012 Olympics Tickets

I caved and put in a request. I requested 8, probably will get 2 or less. I was told from someone at the COC that Canada has only be allocated as little as 2 to 5 tickets per event for some (events we don't qualify for) and even swimming ther could only be a dozen or so tickets. So not hoping for a lot, not even sure if I will be able to attend.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone in UK willing to get me a hard copy of the ticket brochure and post to me in Australia? Happy to pay for postage via paypal or catch up for a beer in 2012 at the games.

i know i can get it online but like to have a real copy to add to the collection

I got my ticket request in, god knows how successful I will be. i was going to get some from Thomas Cook as you are guaranteed tickets, you can only buy them as part of a break though. I decided not to do it when I saw how much they were charging.Its disgusting how they are ripping people off.

I've also had a chat to my contacts at CoSport about the exchange rate and their position is if you want tickets you pay. Simple. Thus I am endeavoring to get into as many events for free as possible through my contacts and buy the bare minimum from them if anything at all. Disgusting. I suppose we were all soiled by Beijing being so cheap. We won't get a Games like that ever again pricewise. I imagine Rio will be steep.

I've also had a chat to my contacts at CoSport about the exchange rate and their position is if you want tickets you pay. Simple. Thus I am endeavoring to get into as many events for free as possible through my contacts and buy the bare minimum from them if anything at all. Disgusting. I suppose we were all soiled by Beijing being so cheap. We won't get a Games like that ever again pricewise. I imagine Rio will be steep.

I don't think so. Rio will still have to price tickets for their population and the average income in Brazil is around 12,000 USD. So they will still have to price their tickets in a range that would allow them to get millions of Brazilians in millions of seats. I expect most tickets to be between 25 and 150, whereas for London tickets are in the 100 to 250 range.

I don't think so. Rio will still have to price tickets for their population and the average income in Brazil is around 12,000 USD. So they will still have to price their tickets in a range that would allow them to get millions of Brazilians in millions of seats. I expect most tickets to be between 25 and 150, whereas for London tickets are in the 100 to 250 range.

From the Rio 2016 bid book, prices were (depending of the sport : 5 different categories) :

- Preliminary rounds : from 6 USD to 80 USD

- Finals : from 12 USD to 150 USD

- Ceremonies : from 100 USD to 1000 USD

From the Rio 2016 bid book, prices were (depending of the sport : 5 different categories) :

- Preliminary rounds : from 6 USD to 80 USD

- Finals : from 12 USD to 150 USD

- Ceremonies : from 100 USD to 1000 USD

Well, London's Bid Book promised:

OC - range of $160 - $1,600.

Look what it is now to the US market: $387 - $3,676!! :blink:

Faster is right. Beijing and Rio were/will be cheaper because the per capita income is lower whereas London caters to the higher per capita of the UK and western Europe. Your airfare to London won't be as expensive as that to Beijing or Rio....but they'll make up the difference in your O tix! ;)

I haven't applied for the tickets so far, but that is my current "ticket schedule":

27 JUL - ZO001 - Opening Ceremony

28 JUL - SW002 - Aquatics, Swimming

29 JUL - BV002 - Beach Volleyball

30 JUL

31 JUL - CS003 - Canoe Slalom

01 AUG - GA009 - Gymnastics, Artistic

02 AUG - CT001 - Cycling Track

03 AUG

04 AUG - AT003 - Athletics

04 AUG - AT004 - Athletics

05 AUG

06 AUG - EJ003 - Equestrian, Jumping

07 AUG

08 AUG - AT010 - Athletics

08 AUG - AT011 - Athletics

09 AUG - CF004 - Canoeing

10 AUG

11 AUG

12 AUG - ZC001 - Closing Ceremony

I am thinking about to drop BV - but add Triathlon, Wrestling and/or Weightlifting - I am interested in Hockey too, but I want to wait until Germany has qualified...

I haven't applied for the tickets so far, but that is my current "ticket schedule":

27 JUL - ZO001 - Opening Ceremony

28 JUL - SW002 - Aquatics, Swimming

29 JUL - BV002 - Beach Volleyball

30 JUL

31 JUL - CS003 - Canoe Slalom

01 AUG - GA009 - Gymnastics, Artistic

02 AUG - CT001 - Cycling Track

03 AUG

04 AUG - AT003 - Athletics

04 AUG - AT004 - Athletics

05 AUG

06 AUG - EJ003 - Equestrian, Jumping

07 AUG

08 AUG - AT010 - Athletics

08 AUG - AT011 - Athletics

09 AUG - CF004 - Canoeing

10 AUG

11 AUG

12 AUG - ZC001 - Closing Ceremony

I am thinking about to drop BV - but add Triathlon, Wrestling and/or Weightlifting - I am interested in Hockey too, but I want to wait until Germany has qualified...

Regarding Beach Volleyball, there is plenty of sessions (3 times a day ! during most of the games), it's central in London, so you could drop it in the 1st phase of ticketing and will still have opportunity to add it later when you will have a real view on your tickets' allocation !

Sorry for my english...it´s not perfect...:|

But i want to know what you think about my chance to "catch" some london 12 tickets. There´s my plane:

07/08/12 – 11.30 – 14.00 – Triathlon – 60 L TR002

07/08/12 – 18.50 - 21.00 – Athletics – 150 L AT009

08/08/12 – 10.00 – 13.40 – Athletics – 65 L AT010

08/08/12 – 18.00 - 21.55 – Athletics – 150 L AT011

09/08/12 – 09.00 – 16.00 – Athletics – 65 L AT012

10/08/12 – 19.00 – 22.45 – Diving – 80 L DV 014

11/08/12 – 10.00 – 11.50 – Diving – 125 L DV 015

12/08/12 – Closing Ceremony - 150 L ZC001

All the luck to you!

Here is an e-mail exchange I had with CoSport about the limit of 48 tickets ordered per person. Can anyone confirm if this is true from past experience?

Me: -With the limit of 48 tickets, does that include tickets requested but not received in the lottery? For example, if I requested 40 tickets in the initial phase and only received 20, would that give me 28 more tickets to request or only 8?

CoSport: There is a ticket limit of 48 tickets per account that will span across the Ticket Request Phase and all subsequent Live Sales Phases. You may submit more than 1 request so long as the cumulative amount of tickets requested does not exceed the 48 ticket account limit.

Using your example, if you request 48 and are confirmed 20, then you would have the opportunity to purchase 28 additional tickets during the Live Sales Phases.

If this is true, at least I won't have to hold back any during the initial phase and request the full 48 tickets.

I’m sure for Beijing it was 48 on 1st phase and then 48 for live sales . But you can get around it but registering you friends and family and do multiple requests

Everyone can complain about the price of the tickets but if you want to go you will pay it. The chances of getting opening swimming athletics gymnastics and cycling tickets are very slim anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another question for all you pros out there. Do you overlap your requests during this phase to get a better chance of getting something? My plan is to go for the first week, and I'm thinking about requesting as many tickets as I can in order to get something. If I just request tickets each day for the events I can feasibly attend (one morning/one night), I'm afraid I'll get little or nothing.

My plan is to request all the gymnastics, swimming, diving, and tennis tickets for the first week as well as the first day of athletics. The way I see it, these are all popular sports so it's very unlikely I'd get all of them anyway--it would probably be a miracle if I even got half. If anything in my allocation overlaps, I'm sure I won't have any problem getting them to someone else.

Is this a good idea?

I’m sure for Beijing it was 48 on 1st phase and then 48 for live sales . But you can get around it but registering you friends and family and do multiple requests

Everyone can complain about the price of the tickets but if you want to go you will pay it. The chances of getting opening swimming athletics gymnastics and cycling tickets are very slim anyway

It is very unlikely to get any tickets, regardless of the sport. If (for example) Australia got 6 tickets for Fencing001 and 36 people put in requests for those 6 tickets, you're odds ain't great.

On average you get 5 to 10% of what you request. So if you request 10 tickets expect 1 or 2.

I ordered tickets for the first 4 days, including the openingceremony. Would be the second opening after Athens 2004.

I ordered tickets for the first 4 days, including the openingceremony. Would be the second opening after Athens 2004.

Good luck guys!! i will apply for 8 sessions (including closing ceremony). i hope to get 1 or 2 (athletics and triathlon)!

Do you know why we just can choose 1 price in triathlon? or in the athletics morning sessions?

My general observations are that except for the very bottom ticket price categories, the tickets in London are much much more expensive than Sydney, up to five-fold, even allowing for differences in cost of living and exchange rates. Plus, some events that were free at Sydney, such as triathlon (ticketed but totally free) and road cycling finish line, now cost ££ in London. Nevertheless London, as a major European transport and accommodation hub and with 8 million people in the city alone (and 50 million in the rest of the country), will probably sell out.

You also have to allow for going rate for sports events in this country. I'm on record here previously as stating that, compared to like sporting events over here, the prices at the lower end of the spectrum (which is what I'm interested in) are not outlandish and I stand by that view. Anyone that can afford the highest prices deserves to be ripped off in my book.

Am aiming for an event a day - spent today working out what where etc - guys remember to give yourselves plenty of time to get from place to place to place - I heard 2 hours - seems excessive to me! But an hour between Olympic park and Greenwich should be enough for example - but then I guess security checks and more people on the tube

Am applying tonight when I have checked with my mates!

Hope I get some events - expensive but hey never gonna be here again in my lifetime!

Must admit two hours seems excessive to me aswell from my experience of the Tube, but best to be cautious I suppose.

Given I now live a couple of miles from a direct train line to the capital and plenty of the guys at work are also after Olympic tickets I'm working on the idea of three Olympic weekends and get as much as I can in.

Arwebb, London ticket prices are excessive even by North American standards. The cost of going to a Premier League match is considerably less than it is to attend any of the major leagues in NA, even MLS teams charge more than most Premiership clubs.

I think the organizers completely and utterly missed the mark with their ticket pricing and based on the rumors of request rates in the major markets of France, Germany, Italy, China, Japan, Australia and North America they could suffer for it. SLC tried to be too aggressive with pricing and it cost them and London is heading done the same path.

Honestly, how do they think they will fill up a 6000 seat Judo hall when the average ticket price is 80 pounds.

Arwebb, London ticket prices are excessive even by North American standards. The cost of going to a Premier League match is considerably less than it is to attend any of the major leagues in NA, even MLS teams charge more than most Premiership clubs.

I think the organizers completely and utterly missed the mark with their ticket pricing and based on the rumors of request rates in the major markets of France, Germany, Italy, China, Japan, Australia and North America they could suffer for it. SLC tried to be too aggressive with pricing and it cost them and London is heading done the same path.

Honestly, how do they think they will fill up a 6000 seat Judo hall when the average ticket price is 80 pounds.

I imagine they will fill it with the £20 tickets for the prelims and the £45 tickets for the finals. These seems like fair prices to me. Although I would be interest to know the percentages of seats at these prices.

There are always going to be some people willing to pay the higher prices for good seats but with the main bulk of people just looking to getthrough the door at the cheapest price. I must admit that whilst I am happy with most of the prices for the bottom priced tickets I am slightly concerned at how much they jump after that. To pay £95 for a Judo final and not get the best seats is quite worrying.

I like the fact that most finals have a price range that is reasonable for most people but I would have liked to have seen these price ranges make up the bulk of the tickets.

You need a hell of a lot of stamina to apply for these tickets don't you? Sat down tonight with my family and it took over an hour just to figure out what we all wanted to see and when.

Tomorrow night it's checking how much it all costs and actually applying.

It will suit me fine if there are plenty of tickets left next year, In fact I’m banking on it

Iv never been to An Olympics before but I would imagine they will be cutting the prises left right and centre during the games.

I will be ordering in advance as well but it will be a token gesture ,

As I like doing things on impulse.

BBC's James Pearce:

"All indications are that London 2012 tickets selling well. Many events look set to be oversubscribed. Deadline for applying is April 26th"

-----------------------------

Finished applying for ours. We're doing one big application as a family. I have to say, my Dad had a fit when he realised he couldn't pay on his Mastercard, so we ended up putting it all on my Visa instead. Confirms my belief this is one sponsorship too far for the Games because it is really offputting. I suspect if I wasn't there he simply wouldn't have bothered applying. <_<

But on a more positive note, YAY (!), applied for tickets for an Olympics for the first time; really exciting. It's feeling very real now, especially since I could be getting a £2000 bill in a couple of months (here's hoping!) ;)

Hmm Unfortunately My spend now pay later lifestyle didn’t just end in the credit crunch , I actually started the credit crunch, despite this I’m applying for tickets for the opening ceremony and another event inside the Olympic park, all other events I see in 2012 will have to be paid for in cash at the time.

Archived