London 2012 Olympics Tickets

... thanks very much memorabilia - I am getting very excited about "London 2012" - it makes me crazy that you have to wait until June 24th to be informed, which tickets were allocated to me...

I doubt that I will get 100%, but I hope I get more than 25% (esp. the Ceremonies, Athletics, Gymnastics)...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m trying to get my head around how the lottery process will work with all the different price brackets,

I imagine they will in effect have to have lots of loterys for the same event like the opening ceremony with all the people that ordered the most expensive tickets cascading down the price categories until everyone is in a lottery for the cheapest tickets, which would mean those who applied for the cheapest tickets could in reality have a one in fifty chance of getting a ticket even though the event is sold out only ten times over,

I have to say while it would be incredible to see the opening ceremony in the stadium I’m sure there will be plenty of exciting ways of experiencing it outside the stadium at places like three mills island for example or in the Olympic park where the caldron will be visible ,im sure we will all feel like winners on the night whether we get a ticket or not.especially if it encompasses the whole of the uk.

They'll be bumping people up where they can. i.e. the draws will be done from the top price category downwards. So if you've selected a range you're happy to pay within for a particular session (e.g. £20 - £50) you'll only end up in the draw for £20 tickets if you fail in the draw for £50 tickets.

If you've only applied for £50 tickets for a session, however, you won't be put into the £20 tickets draw if you fail.

Also, obviously, as you go up the price bands the likelyhood of there being a draw diminishes. As far as the opening ceremony is concerned, I wouldn't be at all surpsied if the organisers cut the number of £400 tickets to make room for everyone who has applied for a £2012 ticket if the number of top category tickets exceeds their expectations.

They'll be bumping people up where they can. i.e. the draws will be done from the top price category downwards. So if you've selected a range you're happy to pay within for a particular session (e.g. £20 - £50) you'll only end up in the draw for £20 tickets if you fail in the draw for £50 tickets.

If you've only applied for £50 tickets for a session, however, you won't be put into the £20 tickets draw if you fail.

Also, obviously, as you go up the price bands the likelyhood of there being a draw diminishes. As far as the opening ceremony is concerned, I wouldn't be at all surpsied if the organisers cut the number of £400 tickets to make room for everyone who has applied for a £2012 ticket if the number of top category tickets exceeds their expectations.

All the tickets are not in this draw. Beforehand they take about 60 to 70% of the likely tickets and put those in the first round. London artificially created the number of tickets available based on crude estimates of the actually tickets that will be available. It won't be until months before the games that the final number of tickets will actually be known. Than again the UK is one of the worst at gerrymandering, so what you speak of is possible.

Venue capacities are all estimated at this point -- and so are the various allocations. And they won't be able to finesse FINAL and ACCURATE seating capacities until the seats are all placed, obstructed view seats, handicapped and camera placements accounted for + sponsor seats that don't show up. (Will the beach volleyball venue have a trial tournament this year? If not, then that would probably be the last venue to know its final, actual seating.)

So probably the final 40-50-60 seats of any given event may be made available only at the Box Office that day because of the above.

All the tickets are not in this draw. Beforehand they take about 60 to 70% of the likely tickets and put those in the first round. London artificially created the number of tickets available based on crude estimates of the actually tickets that will be available. It won't be until months before the games that the final number of tickets will actually be known. Than again the UK is one of the worst at gerrymandering, so what you speak of is possible.

No the tickets' number actually in the draw is higher than that (exept for team sport events). The "seats killed" (for media, athletes, vips and obstructed seats) at this stage is between 10% to 20% of the capacity depending of the venues.

So i will say at this stage an average of 80/85% of the available tickets have been proposed to all spectators (including the allotment for the NOCs)

Hmm I’m not sure letting people that have ordered the most expensive tickets have another chance in the lottery for a cheaper one is in the Wright sprit that the cheeper tickets where intended for.

Arghhhhhhh! Still they seem to be saying the money will still be taken before the stated deadline of the 10th June. Im going away for a week next Tuesday so I will be totally in the dark.

At least there's confirmation that they will take out all the money in one go for all the tickets you have won rather than it trickling out over time.

From Telegraph articletoday:

In early July Locog will put all of its unsold tickets online for immediate purchase by people who did not get any tickets in the ticket application. This will be open for a short period of time, yet to be determined. Then, people who had applied but only secured a portion of their order, will be eligible to access the site to purchase further tickets.

Locog will release any unsold tickets, after the two rounds offered internally to unsuccessful initial ticket applicants, for general sale. This will happen in late November and early December.

Interesting it mentions 'immediate purchase' for those completely unsuccessful in the first round. I wonder how that will pan out...

Every NOC received tickets for the Opening and Closing ceremonys?! I´m in Portugal and the Portuguese Olympic Committee don´t have tickets for the ceremonys. Well, they bought tickets to some VIP but to the generaly public they don ´t have. Just to some events. In the others NOC it´s the same situation?!

Thank you

... I have heard that there are huge discussion in the UK about the ticket procedures - I mean that you have to pay for something and you don't know for what - I received an e-mail one hour ago, that LOCOG won't charge me before May 16th

I do not know if this in context with this discussion, but I think LOCOG doesn't make it any better to charge somebody six days later, but doesn't give information for what you are charged at the same time...

By the way my bank clerk told me that FIFA is using the same procedures

... I have heard that there are huge discussion in the UK about the ticket procedures - I mean that you have to pay for something and you don't know for what - I received an e-mail one hour ago, that LOCOG won't charge me before May 16th

I do not know if this in context with this discussion, but I think LOCOG doesn't make it any better to charge somebody six days later, but doesn't give information for what you are charged at the same time...

By the way my bank clerk told me that FIFA is using the same procedures

No, it is known from several days that there will be a delay for the payment. It is due to the lotery, that is taken a litlle bit longer....

Every NOC received tickets for the Opening and Closing ceremonys?! I´m in Portugal and the Portuguese Olympic Committee don´t have tickets for the ceremonys. Well, they bought tickets to some VIP but to the generaly public they don ´t have. Just to some events. In the others NOC it´s the same situation?!

Thank you

Every NOC is receiving what they are requesting.... So if they are just buying tickets for their VIPs, you could complain, try another NOC or have bought your tickets directly to LOCOG !!!

Sorry for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Our local newspaper in Germany wrote today:

There are more than one million applications for the athletics session on August 5th - and only 80.000 seats in the stadium.

I'm happy that I bought my tickets from the official ticket agency in Germany.

@ Barney,

how does it work with DERTOUR (the German official ticket agency)? I mean did you send an order and you got immediately a confirmation?

Will you buy tickets for the "German house" too?

I got a confirmation/invoice by E-Mail. The price must be paid within two weeks. I did it on the same day.

DERTOUR works on first come - first serve base. They are taking the sold tickets out of their system.

We will buy tickets for the " German Fan Fest ". Tickets are not very expensive.

You can go to the Fan Fest whenever you want.But you have to wait in line to get in.

DERTOUR has a small number of tickets to avoid the line. I think you can order only for a specific date. 20 € including one drink. It's open from 10 - 24. When you leave the Fest you can not get in again without buying a new ticket.

Archived