Well that’s a relief I sent the application form off in the post to day. now I can relax and wait to see if Im lucky enough to get a ticket for the opening ceremony. Along with my other exciting choice.

Obviously the organises will want to say it’s a sell out, but availability of tickets on the day to buy with cash is the public interest agenda.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I got bored of waiting to get ticket holders off the 2012 website so Ive made my own. Bought official Lanyards, found plastic ticket holders then branded the holder up myself. Blank one side and

Just got my Paralympics email. I got Opening, closing ceremonies and athletics with the 100m final woo hoo.

OMG!!! I got 2x £20.12 Opening Ceremony tickets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't believe it I am going to the opening ceremony!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Tower, that is exactly what I mean. In SLC ticket brokers and fan ordered massive amounts of tickets at unreasonable prices and come games time, they were left selling their tickets for a 1/2 to a 1/4 of the original price.

Yes London has affordable tickets (for people that have the pound, euro or gulf currencies in their bank accounts), but how many of those tickets are repsented in the 6.6 million allegedly available? If it is anything like Vancouver, Beijing or Torino the lower price tickets will represent less than a quarter of any one sessions available tickets, leaving the ordinary fan without a chance to see the games.

I booked the first week of the olympics off work yesterday. My boss was rather bemused when I said I wanted a week off oh and its in 2012 LOL but it got everyone else thinking. Ive only applied for stuff in the first week but it still came to nearly £2000. I started a savings account as Beijing finished but it still wont cover that bill!

I booked the first week of the olympics off work yesterday. My boss was rather bemused when I said I wanted a week off oh and its in 2012 LOL but it got everyone else thinking. Ive only applied for stuff in the first week but it still came to nearly £2000. I started a savings account as Beijing finished but it still wont cover that bill!

Davey - wouldn't worry too much - i think i read that on average you will be lucky to get 5% of what you applied for!! hopefully we will all be lucky and get some of the ticks we really want - but it really will be a lottery!

I will finish my "ticket schedule" this weekend and apply for them on sunday or monday...

By they way - I am very glad that I rented a flat during the Olympics, which I will share with one of our most reputable members, since the prices for the accomodation in London (via the official German travel agency) are just "tacky"!!!

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Davey - wouldn't worry too much - i think i read that on average you will be lucky to get 5% of what you applied for!! hopefully we will all be lucky and get some of the ticks we really want - but it really will be a lottery!

There are two things to be said about that,

Firstly they are asking for a lot of upfront payments for tickets that people will not be receving,those who still have credidcards (and I do not)wont mind to much as the credit company will in effect be lending London 2012 the money , any one paying upfront like this out there own money will find it difficult.

And secondly the percentage of tickets you will up getting will depend I would except on whether you chose high profile sport meddle events ,

Of more unusual sports early on .

Also If it had been possible to put in more that one application I would have certainly ordered more tickets as I could have done it in dribs and drabs over the duration of the ticketing schedule,

As it is having to do it all In one payment is just do difficult right now,

Paying bay cash as the time is listed as an option for buying tickets in the official brochure ,so from this we can procure that this has been planed form the outset and they wont suddenly say this isn’t the case,

We will just have to see how this pans out in 2012.

For both Beijing and Vancouver, I got about 20% of my initial request.

You didn't apply from the host country and you applied from within the USA which usually gets the single largest allocation of tickets outside of the host country. Also compared to Vancouver and China there is a considerably larger poll of affluent people within the host country (economic zone) to apply meaning that instead of the 60 million Brits competing against each other they are also competing with the 40 million Poles, 60 million French and Italians, 50 million Spaniards, 85 million Germans and 25 million Dutch. Along with another 250 million other EU residents. 6 of the 10 top requesting nations are within the EU, so 4.6 million tickets spreads very thin.

You didn't apply from the host country and you applied from within the USA which usually gets the single largest allocation of tickets outside of the host country. Also compared to Vancouver and China there is a considerably larger poll of affluent people within the host country (economic zone) to apply meaning that instead of the 60 million Brits competing against each other they are also competing with the 40 million Poles, 60 million French and Italians, 50 million Spaniards, 85 million Germans and 25 million Dutch. Along with another 250 million other EU residents. 6 of the 10 top requesting nations are within the EU, so 4.6 million tickets spreads very thin.

The allotments for the UK and the rest of Europe are separate, te don't understand how you would be competing with the French or anyone else. Yes, the EU countries have a larger ticket pool this go round than they did for Beijing or Vancouver, but they are still separate from that of the UK.

The allotments for the UK and the rest of Europe are separate, te don't understand how you would be competing with the French or anyone else. Yes, the EU countries have a larger ticket pool this go round than they did for Beijing or Vancouver, but they are still separate from that of the UK.

You're almost totally wrong !!!

There is separate allotment for each EU NOCs, but in that case with very low quantity of tickets... as in the EU, we have a rule called "the free market", that means that any EU citizen is allowed to buy good & services all-around the EU without any restriction ! That means that any EU citizen could directly buy tickets to LOCOG as the UK citizen !

It has been already the case for the Athens 2004 Games and the Torino 2006 Games !!! So in that case the allotment for the EU/UK market is more much bigger than usual for a host country and all EU NOCs have low allotment...

So, all the EU Games Bids members here, that, as me, are discussing our ticketing orders due for next week, are speaking about the one to LOCOG... We will try to get as much tickets as we could have through the LOCOG draw... and after that, we will also check with our NOCs to see if we could have tickets that we did not get through LOCOG (and by the way, any EU citizen could ask any EU NOCs to order additional tickets ... :P )

I hope you don't mind a complete newbie coming in and adding to the discussion...

I've been looking quite carefully at the option of getting tickets from one of the European NOCs. Some are - illegally, I suspect - refusing to sell to people outside their home market. Others are charging quite big markups for exchange rate conversion, delivery, etc.. But there are some definite options for people who are keen to insure themselves against an unfavorable outcome from the locog ballot.

The best option is Denmark, where the organizers of the ballot seem to be charging 'only' a 20% mark up on the locog prices but with no £6 delivery charge. I think it's well worth people putting in for a few of the more popular/cheaper tickets via this route, not least because if you are lucky twice and also get tickets from locog you can always sell them back via their resale scheme.

If others are interested, I can give a more detailed country-by-country analysis. There's loads of good tickets available right now on a first come first served basis on the Germany and Poland websites, for example.

Easily, nip on the Jubilee Line and you'll be there very quickly. No problem.

We don't know if this is going to be completed in time for the Olympics, but Boris' latest brainwave is a cable car connecting the two:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13119733

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13113801

aa-jul8-cablemap.jpg

Edited by RobH

Easily, nip on the Jubilee Line and you'll be there very quickly. No problem.

We don't know if this is going to be completed in time for the Olympics, but Boris' latest brainwave is a cable car connecting the two:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13119733

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13113801

aa-jul8-cablemap.jpg

... thanks very much mate - I am just fine tuning my schedule tehrewith I can send my application

Thanks mem.

I think the term you are looking for is the single market.

Thanks.

In fact, after checking the correct translations, it is actually named the "internal market" (previously the Common Market but yes sometime called the Single Market).

HELP

how long does it take from ExCel to the O2-Arena?

one event ends at 17:05 at the O2-Arena and another event starts at 19:00 at Excel - do you think that 1:55 h is enough to change?

Check this page

http://www.london2012.com/visiting/getting-to-the-games/plan-your-travel/spectator-journey-planner.php

On the right column you will find a "Journey Time Finder" !

So in your case, less than one hour... you have only 2 stations with one connection !

Oh well... I guess I have to wait yet another few years until I see my first Olympic events in person. I saw today that the application phase will end tomorrow and thus asked my father whether he, my mother and me shall apply for tickets at the opening weekend, too. But he doesn't own a Visa card, now it's too late to order one and he wouldn't have done it anyway just for that purpose. And the official Olympic ticket agency for Germany, Dertour, doesn't offer tickets for the opening ceremony and their tickets are overpriced. And not to forget the overpriced hotel rooms and probably even flight tickets...

So it breaks my heart but I will witness the Olympic Games next year like all the editions before: in front of my television set.

But I'll look on the bright side: Now, I won't have to explain my boss why I booked a vacation before asking him whether I can get the time off (I couldn't have asked him beforehand anyway, since I only have a one-year contract and it's not certain whether I get a new one for 2012) and also I can save a lot of money. And I can take some time off anyway so that I can watch the opening ceremony without a problem, even if it's only on TV.

• Like 1
Oh well... I guess I have to wait yet another few years until I see my first Olympic events in person. I saw today that the application phase will end tomorrow and thus asked my father whether he, my mother and me shall apply for tickets at the opening weekend, too. But he doesn't own a Visa card, now it's too late to order one and he wouldn't have done it anyway just for that purpose.

What a shame. :(

Another one caught out by the terms of this sponsorship. I can't believe Visa are getting anything but bad publicity through their assocaition with this. The London 2012 Facebook page is full of complaints about this issue as well, and the phrase "we are proud to accept only Visa" which seems to be printed on everything, is raising a few eyebrows along with the inevitable response from everyone who reads it, "why should they be proud of that?"

I hope you enjoy watching it on the tele anyway. And keep posting here, I enjoy your posts.

, is raising a few eyebrows along with the inevitable response from everyone who reads it, "why should they be proud of that?"

I know it's been discussed ad infinitum here...but the simple answer is: because they've paid some $50 million dollars (my estimate) for the right to do so. And people forget that if one company doesn't have a LOCK on it, you can bet that MasterCard would jump in and fill the hole and DO EXACTLY the same thing. Maybe one should blame the IOC for selling exclusive sponsorships rather than the particular companies who go above and beyond the call of duty to subsidize these massive operations.

Oh well... I guess I have to wait yet another few years until I see my first Olympic events in person. I saw today that the application phase will end tomorrow and thus asked my father whether he, my mother and me shall apply for tickets at the opening weekend, too. But he doesn't own a Visa card, now it's too late to order one and he wouldn't have done it anyway just for that purpose. And the official Olympic ticket agency for Germany, Dertour, doesn't offer tickets for the opening ceremony and their tickets are overpriced. And not to forget the overpriced hotel rooms and probably even flight tickets...

So it breaks my heart but I will witness the Olympic Games next year like all the editions before: in front of my television set.

But I'll look on the bright side: Now, I won't have to explain my boss why I booked a vacation before asking him whether I can get the time off (I couldn't have asked him beforehand anyway, since I only have a one-year contract and it's not certain whether I get a new one for 2012) and also I can save a lot of money. And I can take some time off anyway so that I can watch the opening ceremony without a problem, even if it's only on TV.

Fabian - leer mal Deine Mailbox

And the official Olympic ticket agency for Germany, Dertour, doesn't offer tickets for the opening ceremony and their tickets are overpriced.

of course - they offer tickets - page 36 of their catalogue

I know it's been discussed ad infinitum here...but the simple answer is: because they've paid some $50 million dollars (my estimate) for the right to do so. And people forget that if one company doesn't have a LOCK on it, you can bet that MasterCard would jump in and fill the hole and DO EXACTLY the same thing. Maybe one should blame the IOC for selling exclusive sponsorships rather than the particular companies who go above and beyond the call of duty to subsidize these massive operations.

You're not wrong, but I'm only saying what I'm seeing. Obviously it is working for Visa otherwise they wouldn't bother, but I've heard nothing but indignation that this should be allowed to be the case. This phase of ticketing has really done Visa's reputation no good in the UK; whether that's fair on them or not is another matter.

HEY!! Get a VISA VIRTUAL CARD!! in the internet! It´s very easy!