London 2012 Olympics Tickets

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just the amount you get. Its best to have the amount you requested in tickets say £1000 in your account just in case. If u request £1000 worth of tickets, make sure there is £1000 in your account between the 10th May and 10th June, just to be safe. You probably wont need it all but you cant run the risk

Yes, just have to wait now. Got my application in last night. Was a bit worried with the potential maximum outlay so in a way it's reassuring to hear that I'll actually only get such a low percentage! Morning archery is probably my best bet and the number 1 prize would be the mens tennis final.

Tickets do seem more expensive than Vancouver for me, but I guess that's down to higher summer demand. I mostly went to the curling which was cheaper while the (ice) hockey is mostly comparable with London events.

Until June 24...

20 Million applications from 1.5 million people has just been reported on BBC Radio 5 Live. 50% of events will go to a ballot. I applied for the ceremonies because if you don't ask you don't get and a bit more realistically the BMX finals and the modern Pentathlon day ticket. I'm unemployed and can't afford those, but if I didn't apply I would be very upset with myself. Hopefully I will have a job by the time the second and third ballots come around and will be able to snag some more.

Cripes - those are impressive numbers - gonna be lot of disappointed people - hopefully all who have applied should get something?? The pus side is that we should see full stadia and therefore there will be a great atmosphere! Btw you will be able to buy tickets to just go into the Olympic Park!

Good luck everyone!!

just the amount you get. Its best to have the amount you requested in tickets say £1000 in your account just in case. If u request £1000 worth of tickets, make sure there is £1000 in your account between the 10th May and 10th June, just to be safe. You probably wont need it all but you cant run the risk

That's a clear confirmation.

CAF, regarding your comments, there is 2 types of visa card. Some with immediate debit, other as your ones with monthly global debit.

In your case (monthly debit) no need to worry, you will see the amount appear in your total before it will be debit with all your other payment of the month, so you will have time to add money if needed on your account ! Just check with you bank or visa you have a high level of debit possible !!! For example, some people could not pay more than XXX pound a day, a week or month....

The LOCOG's advise is for the other with immediate debit (as me) ! We need to have the amount on the account (or agreement with your bank to get temporary a negative account !). And the comments on the higher limit of the card is still valid here !

So, we know:

20 million tickets applied for out of 6.6 million available

Yet:

50% of the 645 sessions will not go to a random ballot

That means those events which are oversubscribed are likely much more than three times oversubscribed. So, my guess is, if you've just gone for finals, you'll not get as many tickets as you'd want. And conversally, I'm guessing if you've gone for a lot of early rounds in the hope you'll get anything, you'll probably get a fair few more than you're expecting.

So, we know:

20 million tickets applied for out of 6.6 million available

Yet:

50% of the 645 sessions will not go to a random ballot

That means those events which are oversubscribed are likely much more than three times oversubscribed. So, my guess is, if you've just gone for finals, you'll not get as many tickets as you'd want. And conversally, I'm guessing if you've gone for a lot of early rounds in the hope you'll get anything, you'll probably get a fair few more than you're expecting.

There is another thing to take into account, is the category of your tickets....

For some session, you will go to the ballot for some categories and not for other....

Or even with session sold out in all categories, as probably the OC, you will have more chance to get a ticket at the ballot with a category at 2012 pounds than the one at 20,12 pounds !!!

That's a clear confirmation.

CAF, regarding your comments, there is 2 types of visa card. Some with immediate debit, other as your ones with monthly global debit.

In your case (monthly debit) no need to worry, you will see the amount appear in your total before it will be debit with all your other payment of the month, so you will have time to add money if needed on your account ! Just check with you bank or visa you have a high level of debit possible !!! For example, some people could not pay more than XXX pound a day, a week or month....

The LOCOG's advise is for the other with immediate debit (as me) ! We need to have the amount on the account (or agreement with your bank to get temporary a negative account !). And the comments on the higher limit of the card is still valid here !

Thanks V. for your remarks - I have spoken with my bank today and the clerk said the same - he even told me that I don't need to pay attention to the debit level, since if it hadn't been high enough the ticket application hadn't been excepted - by the way he told me that this is the same procedure how it is done (I mean with the payment up front) at FIFA World Championships...

There is another thing to take into account, is the category of your tickets....

For some session, you will go to the ballot for some categories and not for other....

Or even with session sold out in all categories, as probably the OC, you will have more chance to get a ticket at the ballot with a category at 2012 pounds than the one at 20,12 pounds !!!

That's true, so how does the ballot actually work? Does it work up from the lowest Cat? If I applied for a Cat C, but also said I would take a Cat B or D and got lucky for a Cat D then I wouldn't be in the ballot for the Cat C tickets?

The uncertainty and waiting is killing me!

That's true, so how does the ballot actually work? Does it work up from the lowest Cat? If I applied for a Cat C, but also said I would take a Cat B or D and got lucky for a Cat D then I wouldn't be in the ballot for the Cat C tickets?

The uncertainty and waiting is killing me!

You're right, ballot is going up from the lowest category to the highest. If, i am not wrong, you did not say "I want C, but in case I could also want B or D if C is not available".

You gave a range of tickets you could have from B to D.

A more down-to-Earth article on the ticketing:

Fine start for Locog in selling Olympic tickets but hard yards await

The headlines have gone to the sold-out events at the London 2012 Olympics but there are a lot of tickets still to shift

Sling an understatedly expensive jumper over both shoulders, pull on your Hunter wellies and grab a Pimm's – it's the London 2012 Olympics!

The list of 2012 events for which tickets are already sold out doesn't exactly bring to mind the youthful, urban, go-getting attitude that was at the heart of London's 2005 pledge to the International Olympic Committee to make the Games relevant again to the youth of the world. Aside from track cycling (which was always going to be one of the first to hang up the "house full" sign given the gold rush in Beijing and the velodrome capacity of 6,000), the other events to sell out so far are: modern pentathlon, equestrian cross country, triathlon and rhythmic gymnastics.

Perhaps then it should be no surprise that another of the sports to sell out almost all its sessions is tennis, which will take place at the All England Club months after Wimbledon.

Sneaking suspicions that the Games may have the feel of a home counties garden party transplanted to east London were raised at a Locog briefing earlier this year when some of the executives in charge of the "look and feel" talked about Wimbledon's Henman Hill, the 1951 Festival of Britain and street parties to celebrate Royal landmarks as being among their inspirations.

But dig a little deeper and there are clear reasons why the above named sports were among the first to sell out. They all have a limited number of sessions with relatively small capacities and committed core followings. If you're into horse riding, there is really only one event that you're desperate to be at. If you're into athletics, there are far more tickets on offer.

Another intriguing phenomenon is the extent to which participation in certain sports seems to have informed purchasing decisions – badminton, for example, appears to have been popular partly because large numbers of people vaguely recall patting a shuttlecock back and forth in a leisure centre.

The inevitably incomplete picture painted by the London Organising Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games's carefully selected initial figures – 20m applications by 1.8 million individuals with more than half of the 650 sessions sold out – obscures the huge task ahead of them in some sports.

Volleyball and hockey will be tough sells given the size of the venues and the sheer number of matches but, paradoxically for a country where it dominates the media and the sporting public to such an extent, the biggest challenge will be football. More than one million tickets are available for the men's and women's football tournaments.

It is also worth bearing in mind the scale of the task at hand. Locog has ambitiously vowed to sell out every ticket, as well as deliver a vibrant atmosphere for every sport. That is something that has never been done before.

In Sydney and Athens it was perfectly possible to buy tickets for many events on the day. In Beijing, where 96% of tickets were sold according to organisers, there were still huge swathes of empty seats as a result of overlong sessions, sponsors and those who were allocated tickets but lived simply too far away to attend.

It is crucial to Locog's entire modus operandi that they pull it off. Aware they would never beat Bejing in terms of scale, they have long claimed that London will differentiate itself in terms of atmosphere. For that, you need full stadiums packed to the gills with crowds who really want to be there and are representative of the whole of modern Britain. There is a balance to be struck between getting the whole country involved and ensuring those in the five Olympic boroughs do not feel excluded.

Criticism of the ticketing system predictably reached a peak as the deadline loomed, and will no doubt return at even louder volume. But bearing in mind the mind-boggling complexity of organising a fair system of selling 8.8m tickets across 650 sessions at six price points – some for events that are bound to be hugely oversubscribed and others that will take a lot of shifting – Locog seems to have balanced off income generation with accessibility and atmosphere pretty well.

Those who have applied for tickets to oversubscribed events now face a nervous wait. The key dates are 10 May, when money will start coming out of their accounts, and 24 June, by which point Locog has promised everyone will know exactly which tickets they are getting.

Those who applied but missed out will get another bite of the cherry when they are offered tickets for other events they might be interested in through June and July. But those who failed to meet the deadline on Wednesday may be surprised to learn they will not get another chance to buy until much later this year.

That is when Locog will have to start making the hard yards in selling those sports for which there is less appetite and hope that enthusiasm for even the volleyball preliminaries will build as the opening ceremony draws near.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/london-2012-olympics-blog/2011/apr/28/locog-olympic-tickets-london-2012

Archived