London 2012 Olympics Tickets

So, the london 2012 ticketing website officially started the 1st phase of tickets selection this morning (for UK and EU citizen) !

I know that i have till April 26th to do it (as it is not a first come first serve basis, for this first phase ! But a pre-selection before a draw in case of demand higher than offer) ... but i could not wait....

So it took me almost one hour to do my selection... even if i already planned it yesterday by choosing my session and sport carefully !!!

So comments ...

- great website : clear and no delays to access the website

- # tickets : there is limit for some sessions. Only 4 tickets for each ceremonies, 6 tickets for main finales and 20 tickets for preliminary round

- # sessions : yes, there is a limit... you could not have more than 20 sessions !!!! So it's not possible to book 2 sessions a days for every day !!!!

- tickets prices : you are able to select a range of price for some session (not all) to increase your chance to get tickets (lower will be serve first if available)

- Payment : visa card will be debit between mid may and mid june

So, what tool me time, is the fact that i should reschedule my plans... as i planned more than 20 sessions !

So, my selection is around the 3 week-end, to let me and my french friends to organize olympic week-ends....

So my selection

> Opening & Closing Ceremonies

> Fencing

> Judo

> Diving

> Swimming

> Beach Volley Ball

> Cycling - Track

> Triathlon

> Athletics

> Handball

> Synchronize Swimming

> Gymnastic Ryhtmic

What about you ???

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh, very enthusiastic! Haven't even looked yet; I'll probably print the schedules off over the weekend and have a look through then and order in the coming weeks. As they keep saying (lots on the news about it this morning), it's not first come first serve and we have till 26th April to apply.

I've applied for:

Sport: Opening Ceremony

Session code: ZO001

Date/time: 27 July 2012 19:30-22:30

Venue: Olympic Stadium

Price Category: D

Quantity: 4

Total cost: £80.48

Total maximum cost: £600.00

Sport: Gymnastics - Artistic

Session code: GA009

Date/time: 01 August 2012 16:30-19:35

Venue: North Greenwich Arena

Price Category: E

Total cost: £200.00

Total maximum cost: £200.00

Sport: Gymnastics - Artistic

Session code: GA012

Date/time: 06 August 2012 14:00-16:20

Total maximum cost: £380.00

Sport: Athletics

Session code: AT005

Date/time: 05 August 2012 18:50-21:55

Venue: Olympic Stadium

Total maximum cost: £500.00

Sport: Gymnastics - Trampoline

Session code: GT001

Date/time: 03 August 2012 14:00-16:15

Total cost: £160.00

Total maximum cost: £160.00

Sport: Gymnastics - Trampoline

Session code: GT002

Date/time: 04 August 2012 14:00-16:15

Total cost: £160.00

Total maximum cost: £160.00

Sport: Diving

Session code: DV010

Date/time: 07 August 2012 19:00-21:00

Venue: Aquatics Centre

Total cost: £120.00

Total maximum cost: £200.00

Sport: Diving

Session code: DV016

Date/time: 11 August 2012 20:30-22:10

Venue: Aquatics Centre

Total maximum cost: £380.00

Assuming I'll get probably none of it. In the first round for Vancouver I got 5% of what I asked for; in the second round I cleaned up though ;)

US CoSport site not up yet altho they promised to launch today.

Hey GB-bidders, for those who won't get your Opening Ceremony tix (which I am not hoping for, since I wasn't chosen for Beijing and Vancouver), we can always plan to go for the OC dress rehearsals. If they hold more than one, I think they will sell tix to the local fans...and that's what I'd aim for. (Remember, this was my idea!!)

Am aiming for an event a day - spent today working out what where etc - guys remember to give yourselves plenty of time to get from place to place to place - I heard 2 hours - seems excessive to me! But an hour between Olympic park and Greenwich should be enough for example - but then I guess security checks and more people on the tube

Am applying tonight when I have checked with my mates!

Hope I get some events - expensive but hey never gonna be here again in my lifetime!

Hopefully Pure Facts or Mem can answer this:

I thought the IOC stated that the mark-up that could be charged by cosport and the like had to be in a certain limit. But I remember for Vancouver there was as high as 30%+ and looking through the London ticket prices it ranges from 15% to 35% depending on the territory (the US with the least mark-up Australia with the most).

Hopefully Pure Facts or Mem can answer this:

I thought the IOC stated that the mark-up that could be charged by cosport and the like had to be in a certain limit. But I remember for Vancouver there was as high as 30%+ and looking through the London ticket prices it ranges from 15% to 35% depending on the territory (the US with the least mark-up Australia with the most).

I am not totally used to those practices, as (except Beijing) I managed to buy directly tickets to the OCOG since the 2000 games ! But i checked prices applied by the French NOC's ATR for Beijing & Vancouver, and the fees was from 19% to 25% depending of the ticket price.

Nothing on the IOC ticketing guideline. I am checking with some ATR, if the IOC has a upper limit. Will let you know.

Actually the agents are controlled and CoSport are breaking the rules (again!!!!)

The London website says that a ticket of more than 200 pounds has only a 40 pound commission

Tickets less than 200 pounds gets a 20% commission

No other handling fees are allowed

HOW IS IT THEN Co Sport can charge Australians AU$3834 for an Opening ticket that they are only allowed to charge 2012 pounds + 40 pounds = 2052 pounds. Todays exchange rate is 0.6 to the british pound, so even if you calculate it on 0.55, it should be AU$3730.90, yet CoSport are calculating tickets at rate of 0.53

So they are killing it on the change rate - the last time the AUD was down at that rate was years ago!!!!

Just crazy! Im going to try through the ballot with a friends address in Europe instead of waste my money with them

Actually the agents are controlled and CoSport are breaking the rules (again!!!!)

The London website says that a ticket of more than 200 pounds has only a 40 pound commission

HOW IS IT THEN Co Sport can charge Australians AU$3834 for an Opening ticket that they are only allowed to charge 2012 pounds + 40 pounds = 2052 pounds. Todays exchange rate is 0.6 to the british pound, so even if you calculate it on 0.55, it should be AU$3730.90, yet CoSport are calculating tickets at rate of 0.53

So they are killing it on the change rate - the last time the AUD was down at that rate was years ago!!!!

Just crazy! Im going to try through the ballot with a friends address in Europe instead of waste my money with them

Thanks,

I remember getting into an argument about cosport. I don't mind that there is a ticket broker, I have a problem with the amount of mark-up that cosport charges.

Mem: you are certainly right that buying directing from the OCOG is far better. Its times like this I wish I had taken the plung and went to Beijing.

Yes, i did not check the official website (http://www.tickets.london2012.com/eligibility_p2.html)

In accordance with rules set out by London 2012, all ATRs must:

* State the territory in which they have been appointed to sell tickets.

* Limit their servicing mark-up fee to 20% of the ticket's face value (up to a maximum of 40 British Pounds sterling per ticket).

* Apply a fair and justifiable exchange rate.

* Make it clear that the only additional charge related to the ticket sale is for delivery at a fair cost and only if tickets are shipped.

* Provide each customer with an itemised purchase receipt detailing the full breakout of all charges: tickets, permitted servicing mark-up and shipping.

* Post the London 2012 ticket prices (at face value) in British Pounds on their website.

* Post London 2012's terms and conditions of ticket purchase and spectator rules on their website and communicate clearly to all ticket purchasers.

* Provide all customers with general information about London 2012 including where to source the latest travel information.

Please, NOC, tell me if you could book online with an adress in EU but with a VISA card adress outside EU ? Normally it is not supposed to work, but it was working well for Vancouver !!!

If you go in to lioyds Bank They are handing out big glossy fullcolour oficial 2012 ticketing guides with pictures application forms and all the information you need.

Is this, this document : http://www.london2012.com/publications/official-london-2012-olympic-games-ticketing-guide.php

Ok I rang CoSport and they said to me that their exchange rate was santioned by the IOC

What a pack of lies!

There exchange rate is off by about 10 cents on the pound. There is better exchange rates at the airport.

There exchange rate is off by about 10 cents on the pound. There is better exchange rates at the airport.

Obviously, CoSport built in a cushion for fluctuation of exchange -- a very favorable cushion for them...knowing they are the ONLY outlet in certain countries. Actually, if people don't buy, then these'll be returned to the UK pool and foreign visitors can just buy them a few days before.

Yeah but they are breaking the rules - I have complained to the AOC just wait and see if they will sanction it

I just cant believe that the rules are so specific and then an organisation like coSPort who are questionable with their ethics (see company owner SLC scandal) can still be allowed to get away with this

Lots and lots of brown paper bags!

As a born and bred Sydneysider and big Olympics fan, I never expected to attend another Olympics, but having lived in London for the past seven years, this now seems possible.

My general observations are that except for the very bottom ticket price categories, the tickets in London are much much more expensive than Sydney, up to five-fold, even allowing for differences in cost of living and exchange rates. Plus, some events that were free at Sydney, such as triathlon (ticketed but totally free) and road cycling finish line, now cost ££ in London. Nevertheless London, as a major European transport and accommodation hub and with 8 million people in the city alone (and 50 million in the rest of the country), will probably sell out.

My general observations from Sydney, that will inform my London ticket choices, are (as someone who has no attachment to any particular sport, but likes them all):

Be careful of:

Rowing - even on TV you get parallax error (apart from at finish line) making it difficult to tell who is in front. Unless you get the A-tickets for the finals, you'll be sitting probably 300m from the finishing line and will have the same problem.

Diving - Event was over very quickly, hard to pick up the intricacies of performance from a distance (I had a Category B ticket but still quite pricey), did not seem to me good value as a neutral observer

Synchronised swimming - I chose the technical programme by accident. Unless you're a huge fan of the sport, choose the free programme, much more variety in performance

Swimming heats - If you want to go to heats, choose athletics. All the swimming semis take place during the finals (evening) sessions, leaving the morning heats sessions much less competitive. At least with athletics, there is enough variety of disciplines during heats sessions to keep you interested. Whereas swimming you'll see the same thing - bodies going up and down the pool but no really exciting races. Plus, you may have more chance of getting tickets for athletics heats (larger capacity stadium) compared with the smaller Aquatics centre.

Athletics 100m Mens final session - This is being talked about as perhaps the most sought after ticket of the meet, but tickets are extra £££ for this session. The race only takes place in the finishing straight, and if you're stuck low down on the other side of the Stadium (as I was in Sydney), the view is not that great. Plus it is less than 10 seconds. I found the circular track races - 400m, 1500m, 5000m etc a lot more exciting, and will make for better value tickets IMHO.

I'm a fan of the big sports, but sports that surprised me in Sydney as exciting and good value included:

Handball

Badminton

Slalom canoe

Water Polo

Archived