The London Olympic Stadium

Rob2012

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! It sure is a very intimate stadium. It didn't have such an intimate feel when I sat in Berlin's Olympic Stadium for the 2009 IAAF World Championships, although the stadium appeared smaller and more cozy to me than it had appeared on photographs and TV pictures. Great job, London!

Morning guys, don't know if anyone else noticed the EDF adverts in this mornings Metro. On page two there was a large image of the stadium which had the new versions of the vending / food pods outside the stadium. Interesting, if this is a fairly accurate and upto date image it also includes the wrap with white strips around the stadium with a hint of the rainbow coloured lighting behind it.

My iPad was playing sill buggers this morning so could upload the image onto here so here is the link to a photo I took:-

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/tmp6164.jpg/

I wonder more and more where the cauldron will be situated - given that this picture shows the real position of the pods around the stadium. I always thought that they would place it rather at the edge of that concrete area around the stadium, in the area in the foreground where you can see the four pods in a row between the two bridges.

So could be an internal cauldron in the end? Or something on the roof?

EDIT: So could it be an internal cauldron in the end? Or something on the roof?

Or are they just playing tricks by positioning those pods there just for that picture?

Where is the wrap? It needs to be started NOW! In just a few weeks we will be at the 100 day countdown point and the eyes of the world media will be on the stadium. We need the wrap up now.

I am starting to detect a real conflict now between the jubilee celebrations and the Olympics. LOCOG seem to be worried about promoting the games too heavily this far out through fear of treading on Royal toes. Mistake!

Well it's Easter now, so no-one's going to be installing over that holiday. But the first test event at the stadium is May 4th, so that gives two and a half weeks to install. And with 100 days to go in the middle of that, well I'm imagining something will be 'unwrapped', so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the wrap? It needs to be started NOW! In just a few weeks we will be at the 100 day countdown point and the eyes of the world media will be on the stadium. We need the wrap up now.

I am starting to detect a real conflict now between the jubilee celebrations and the Olympics. LOCOG seem to be worried about promoting the games too heavily this far out through fear of treading on Royal toes. Mistake!

Agree 100%. Big error in judgement.

I

I do hope the wrap isn’t going to look like those narrow strips on there.

As for the atmosphere I started to noticed a sense of approaching greatness in Piccadilly circus last year.there is a buzz in the air , but still a lot to do.

And all the adds on TV are starting to built up the excitement. I think the jubilee will be part of the Olympic excitement. I would like to see the caldron though, may be the stadium is it, a ring of fire.

I still think you guys are expecting too much too soon. Again from the Sydney experience, at this time before the games (three months) there was no decorations up - the banners and look around the city only started going up about a fortnight before the games. As for anticipation and excitement - that really only started kicking in when the torch arrived in Oz (which basically started making it all "real" finally). Expecting that London would have all its banners, signs and look up at this stage is unrealistic - and wrong.

As for the Jubilee - well, Olympics come and go every four years (or two years if we count both versions). A Royal Diamond Jubilee - which in the long run is probably a far more significant event for Britain, hasn't happened for more than 110 years. It's quite right the games should NOT detract from a respectful celebration of a major milestone for the nation's Sovereign. And it in no way is delaying the normal timing of how a host starts decking itself out for games times.

I know on a board like ours everybody's impatient to see London decked out in all its Olympic glory, but honestly, London is not behind or lagging in that department compared to previous hosts.

Patience, everyone. It'll creep up and start capturing attention quicker than you expect.

Very wise words.

I have been thinking we are going to wake up with 100 days to go and all the wrap strips will be up after crews worked through the night. Those panels over the weekend just being testers so they can practice. Not sure how realistic that is but I can dream

I have a dream where I wake up and they have installed floor to roof led screeens all around the stadium. You go onto the 2012 website and it has completely changed into a rather slic flashy interactive website packed with lots of new information and features. I know. :D

Archived