The London Olympic Stadium

Rob.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Testing the park lamps (from Andy Wilkes' blog again - http://www.insidelondon2012.blogspot.co.uk/ )

"The Testing of the Halo Masts around the London 2012 Olympic Stadium.

As well as lights these have scrolling messages, and are partialy powered by the wind turbines on the top."

Halo+masts1.jpg

More bizarre design. Very peculiar lights. Don't love 'em.

*sigh* Who the heck will care during the Games how the lamps look like?

I know that I've engaged myself in most of the London 2012 design discussions here, but now it reaches a point where I'd say that that constant criticism à la "I don't like this, I don't like that" is puerile and senseless. In the end, all that will be forgotten by the time the Games take place. We (at least we the TV audience) probably won't see the mascots anymore, we won't pay much attention to the colours and patterns on the sidefences (but we'll rather pay attention to the competing athletes) and we'll most certainly not see much of the lamps in Olympic Park. In the end, all those designed elements will only be a backdrop for the actual event, namely the sports events, the ceremonies and the coming together of people from all over the world.

And as long as London doesn't give us sidefences covered with poop, medal hostesses wearing rags and an Olympic Park lit up by burning funeral pyres, we shouldn't worry that much about designed details.

Olympic Stadium sees marriage proposal

A man has proposed in front of 20,000 people at London's Olympic Stadium.

Charity mascot Wendell Raphael, 40, was shown on the big screen at a test event saying: "This is not an April Fool. Bindi Bhambra, will you marry me?"

She was shown in tears in her seat among the applauding crowd, nodding her head to say yes.

They were in the stadium for the Gold Challenge charity test event which saw members of the public compete alongside celebrities and sporting stars.

Mr Raphael acts as mascot Super Donor Dan - wearing a red outfit and matching cape - for the African Caribbean Leukaemia Trust, raising awareness of blood and bone marrow donation.

He said: "When it was confirmed I'd be taking part in the parade two weeks ago, I knew I wanted to propose in front of all these people here today."

He met his fiancee, a 35-year-old teacher from Bristol, on a dating website six months ago.

Mr Raphael, originally from Port of Spain, Trinidad, and now living in New Cross, south-east London, also took part in a race at the new stadium during the Gold Challenge charity test event.

The IT worker said he wanted his fiancee's "surname to be Raphael as soon as possible."

_59424006_014414874.jpg

Olympic Stadium sees marriage proposal

A man has proposed in front of 20,000 people at London's Olympic Stadium.

Charity mascot Wendell Raphael, 40, was shown on the big screen at a test event saying: "This is not an April Fool. Bindi Bhambra, will you marry me?"

She was shown in tears in her seat among the applauding crowd, nodding her head to say yes.

They were in the stadium for the Gold Challenge charity test event which saw members of the public compete alongside celebrities and sporting stars.

Mr Raphael acts as mascot Super Donor Dan - wearing a red outfit and matching cape - for the African Caribbean Leukaemia Trust, raising awareness of blood and bone marrow donation.

He said: "When it was confirmed I'd be taking part in the parade two weeks ago, I knew I wanted to propose in front of all these people here today."

He met his fiancee, a 35-year-old teacher from Bristol, on a dating website six months ago.

Mr Raphael, originally from Port of Spain, Trinidad, and now living in New Cross, south-east London, also took part in a race at the new stadium during the Gold Challenge charity test event.

The IT worker said he wanted his fiancee's "surname to be Raphael as soon as possible."

_59424006_014414874.jpg

That Guy was in my race pool...amazing

Park looks great and the stadium is fantasic, running the 100m was a privallige and such good fun...I came last but did get to show the stadium my tattoo of the logo!!

OOOh I saw you on the screen with your tattoo. I just got back we came 5th out of 9 in our relay. What a buzz. People were all so happy, as far as Im concerned the firing gun has been fired for the enthusiasm for the games. Everyone I spoke to was blown away. Both this weekends events will get people talking and talking to others. People really felt part of it. Dalton Grant took us through our warm up, it was soooooo cool. The pods look really good when ur down on the ground they look totally in keeping with the stadium. The round pods would have been amazing but they really are pretty cool. Theres still loads to do though. 2 areas of the stadium had been cleared of seats, not sure why and all the rigging stuff is up.

dsc02111ex.jpg

dsc02103b.jpg

dsc02082vr.jpg

dsc02101o.jpg

OOOh I saw you on the screen with your tattoo. I just got back we came 5th out of 9 in our relay. What a buzz. People were all so happy, as far as Im concerned the firing gun has been fired for the enthusiasm for the games. Everyone I spoke to was blown away. Both this weekends events will get people talking and talking to others. People really felt part of it. Dalton Grant took us through our warm up, it was soooooo cool. The pods look really good when ur down on the ground they look totally in keeping with the stadium. The round pods would have been amazing but they really are pretty cool. Theres still loads to do though. 2 areas of the stadium had been cleared of seats, not sure why and all the rigging stuff is up.

dsc02111ex.jpg

dsc02103b.jpg

dsc02082vr.jpg

dsc02101o.jpg

Hahaha... I'm glad you saw it, all the people were like you must be very committed to do that lol but yeah, and I came last but more the fact I got to be there and do it certainly feels you with amazement, I think it certainly has got more and more people supporting it all now!!

The gun was very loud lol

Still trying to put the pics I took up on here...could someone tell me how to do it?

That did strike me, that the sound was amazing. The pistol was really loud. The crowd noise will be imense. I heard my mum shouting my name from the upper tear of seating in that crowd of people. Everyone said it was so intimate but so grand in scale at the same time. Photo wise i use www.imageshack.us, upload the pic then copy the code that gives you to the forum post.

That did strike me, that the sound was amazing. The pistol was really loud. The crowd noise will be imense. I heard my mum shouting my name from the upper tear of seating in that crowd of people. Everyone said it was so intimate but so grand in scale at the same time. Photo wise i use www.imageshack.us, upload the pic then copy the code that gives you to the forum post.

Excellent, cheers matey

Yeah I get the whole intimate yet massive scale thing...my friends too were shouting for me and they videoed me running...shameful lol

Here are me pics

april1st016.th.jpg

april1st007.th.jpg

april1st013.th.jpg

april1st005.th.jpg

april1st006.th.jpg

april1st004.th.jpg

april1st010.th.jpg

april1st017.th.jpg

april1st015.th.jpg

I just dont know how to do this image thing, I have uploaded pics to Image Shack how do i upload now, cos it dont wanna work for me and its annoying me lol

Here ya go daveb81. Imageshack can be a pain sometimes, I've found I've needed an account recently to get the direct links...

april1st018.jpg

april1st006.jpg

april1st009.jpg

april1st013.jpg

april1st015.jpg

RobH...you are a genius...thank you very much!!

Hope everyone likes them lol I think the Parkland areas look stunning!

dsc02082vr.jpg

Seeing the rigging up there somehow kindles my Olympic fever, especially the anticipation for the opening ceremony. It's getting closer and closer now!

But on a less emotional note: The rigging is probably too dense to have a wire from the infield up to the cauldron tower, either for the flame or for the final torchbearer. So I really think that the lighting (which will hopefully not include fireworks again, unlike Torino's) will start from the roof, probably by wire from there. Or they choose a slightly boring approach, namely the final torchbearer running out of the stadium and then to the foot or even the top of the cauldron tower.

Archived