The London Olympic Stadium

Rob.

This was noticed on SSC as well...

They've certainly been doing something. Look at all the white box type things that are now in place (the orange arrows), and the blue arrows also indicate that they're been using some temporary platforms.

6548620767e84b2d28cdb.jpg

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The boxes could also have something to do with the ceremonial rigging -- which still hasn't been installed apparently. But I agree that it could also be some sort of storage box, especially since they have no underground stage this time (unlike Atlanta, Athens and Beijing)

West Ham concerned about new rental terms for Olympic Stadium

As the Olympic Park Legacy Company opens discussions with potential tenants for the main stadium, West Ham are yet to be convinced that the new terms on offer make sense for the club.

West Ham were selected as preferred bidder for the lease in the original bidding process, but the terms of the new rental agreement are less attractive for the club.

The OPLC has begun “preliminary clarification meetings” with parties, and concert promoters Live Nation and O2 Arena owners AEG are also understood to be interested in taking on a management contract for the stadium.

Persuading West Ham remains the key to making the stadium work, however, and without certainty about the commercial benefits of the stadium, a bid is not certain.

The OPLC is understood to be seeking around £10 million a year for naming rights for the stadium and the aquatic centre, though it is unclear how revenue will be shared with tenants.

There are also reservations about the provision of temporary seating on the track to make the ground more attractive for football, something West Ham co-chairman David Gold has said is crucial to the stadium working. The club are also reluctant to share with a rugby club because of the damage to the pitch.

It is understood that in the specifications laid out for bidders, the OPLC is proposing that 3,500 to 4,000 of the 60,000 seats will be reserved for corporate hospitality. For athletics and other lower-capacity events the OPLC is proposing to screen off around 14,000 seats in the upper tier behind the goals to make the gaps less obvious on television.

Interested parties have until Jan 30 to decide whether to lodge full bids.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9021454/West-Ham-concerned-about-new-rental-terms-for-Olympic-Stadium.html

I could see this coming a mile off. I think it's safe to predict that West Ham will not be the tennants of the Olympic Stadium without some rather large concessions from LOCOG. I can't see the two of them coming to a deal.

I don't blame West Ham for changing their terms under the rental option but at the same time I think it would be better for the legacy and for the local area to not rent the stadium to a football club. I want to see Live Nation or AEG use it as a concert venue alongside it's main use as an athletics facility. I hope that this can be proven to be a viable option.

AEG believed the stadium would not work without a football club anchor tenant. That's why they threw their lot in with Spurs in the original tender process. Live Nation, of course, were part of the West Ham/Newham consortium. It's interesting, if this article is true, that both are still interested. I wonder whether they still will be if West Ham pulls out? I would hope so (there is less risk attached to putting on events in a staidum they don't own), but I'm not sure.

Suspect held in Olympic 'spy' case

A FOURTH suspect has been arrested over allegations that Tottenham spied on Olympic officials.

Police have been investigating accusations the Premier League club was involved in wrongdoing during its failed bid to take over the main stadium after the 2012 Games.

A 45-year-old man in south London was held on suspicion of fraud and an "amount of material was seized" in a search of his residential property, police said. His name was not released.

The Scotland Yard probe has been running since August when allegations of wrongdoing in the bidding process were made by West Ham and the Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC), whose board members decide the future of venues on the site of the 2012 Games.

During a London Assembly committee hearing last year, OPLC chair Margaret Ford accused Tottenham of ordering surveillance on all 14 members of the legacy company board.

Tottenham denies any allegations of spying or the illegal obtaining of information.

It emerged during a separate High Court case that a company, which a judge said was hired by Tottenham, had copies of a West Ham executive's telephone records that had been "unlawfully obtained by subterfuge".

The investigators allegedly employed by Tottenham were from the accountancy firm PFK, whose former partner Howard Hill was arrested last week on suspicion of fraud.

Police investigating the illegal procurement of information made their first two arrests last November. There have been no charges filed in the case.

PKF denies any unlawful activity and said it has had no communication with Hill since he resigned from the firm in December.

Tottenham previously insisted that they "did not instruct PKF to engage in any unlawful activity and PKF have confirmed that they did not".

West Ham's deal to take over the 486 million pound ($719 million) Olympic Stadium collapsed in October amid legal uncertainty.

The venue will now be rented out after the Olympics. West Ham have yet to decide whether to bid again or redevelop their existing Upton Park ground.

Herald Sun

There have been 16 bids from parties interested in moving to the Olympic Stadium after London 2012, including one from West Ham United, insidethegames understands.

West Ham originally won the right to move into the venue after the Olympics last year but the Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) withdrew from negotiations with the club amid a legal challenge from Tottenham Hotspur, who had been defeated in the bidding process.

The tender process started by OPLC last December required potential applicants to register their interest by the end of January and insidethegames understands that West Ham have done this.

The club's position regarding a formal application has not changed though, and they remain unsure whether or not they will go ahead with a bid to become the new tenant at the venue.

West Ham are reluctant to go forward with a bid unless they are given more clarity over the bidding process.

"There have been 16 registrations from parties interested in bidding to use the stadium after the Games," the OPLC said in a statement issued to insidethegames.

"They now have until 23 March, 2012, to submit their full bids.

"The (OPLC) plans to appoint the winning bidders in May 2012 and remains on track to reopen the venue in 2014.

"Each successful bidder will add to the athletics legacy already secured for the stadium including the new national centre for athletics and host of the 2017 World Athletic Championships."

The OPLC will be reformed as a Mayoral Development Corporation in April, in a move designed to bolster their powers and give City Hall more control over the legacy of the Olympic Park, though the bidding process for the Olympic Stadium should be unaffected.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2012/15706-west-ham-among-16-early-bidders-for-london-2012-olympic-stadium

I noticed today while I was at Old ford lock near the Olympic stadium that they have AT LAST started steam cleaning one of the big wharf buildings over looking old ford lock and renovating its frontage,

This is the first sign of improvement at Old ford lock on the north side of the canal. Wondering around there is still a massive amount to do, I imagine there will be a military precision plan to do every thing bit by bit between now and the Olympics with the final stage being the dressing up of the street just before the Olympics, it seems in Central London April is the date for the completion of major improvement works like Leicester squire and the Black friars bridge where there is still massive construction work and big cranes. Which one would hope are coming down before the Olympics. It looks like the area around the Olympic park will be requiring attention right up until the start of the Games.

Davey - I agree - really shame, the pods were the saving grace of an otherwise rather banal stadium. I real loss & not at all in keeping with their original vision. But that's architecture by committee for you. The final effect is akin to an industrial park - badly done locog. I was told the pods had been dropped in 2010 when I went on a tour of the Olympic park - shame that they haven't had the balls to go public with the decision & tell us why they ave dropped them.

I have recently become really disenchanted with locog - you walk around london and 6 months to go there is no buzz - no flags & nothing to tell you that London is the Olympic city! A real let own. Also very unimpressed by the look of the games - includes few if any elements from the original logo and brand application.

Just wish locog would get their act together - everything they do is half baked - where's the vision & the élan? Jeez I wanna give them a good shake!!!

That said am sure the games will be good.

I have recently become really disenchanted with locog - you walk around london and 6 months to go there is no buzz - no flags & nothing to tell you that London is the Olympic city! A real let own. Also very unimpressed by the look of the games - includes few if any elements from the original logo and brand application.

Don't be impatient - going by Sydney's schedules, the banners and such only start going up about a month - or even a fortnight - before the games. Don't worry, one morning you'll wake up and London will be an Olympic decked-out city!

Archived