My point has always been it should never have been held solely in Regional Victoria, and at least a majority of events held in Melbourne otherwise it was going to be an embarrassing failure, but we've even out done today

Anyway what an embarrassing clusterfuck

spacer.png

The Melbourne 2006 games cost $1.5 billion almost 20 years ago and in consideration of how inflation has gotten away over the last 18 months coupled with costs of living increases since 06 then perhaps the $2.6 bil projected cost was too minimal and too ambitious to begin with. We need to consider the whole picture of where cost overruns could potentially have led taxpayers. Yes there will be a premium to be paid for breaking the contract, but it will be far cheaper than paying an extra $4.4 billion for the sake of saving the games and sporting reputation. 

I think that Melbourne's sporting reputation will survive. After all the Spring Carnival, AFL season, Moto GP, F1 GP, Oz Open and other major events will keep it up there. :)

You know things are bad when you've got the king of corruption John Coates taking potshots at you

----

Olympic supremo John Coates has said the cancellation of the Melbourne Commonwealth Games is a “terrible embarrassment for Australian sport”.

The news has devastated the sports world, while a high-ranking event official said the Victorian government was “repeatedly” warned about hosting the Games in regional areas but “they wouldn’t be told”.

Mr Coates, one of the world’s leading sporting administrators who has been involved in every Olympic summer games since 1976, says the Victorian government should not have bid for the games without their business case “stacking up”.

“This is a terrible embarrassment to Australian sport,” Mr Coates, who is vice-president of the International Olympic Committee, told The Australian.

“We shouldn’t be bidding for events unless we know that we have the necessary commitments and support of the various governments – and unless the business case stacks up, clearly though from what Daniel Andrews is telling us now, it didn’t – and it didn’t support [the business case].

“I think the other thing is and we’re seeing now the individual sport model goes pretty well because it’s over a longer period. The Matildas are playing for an extended period with 32 teams involved in the World Cup. The rugby World Cup in 2027 – I believe they will be a great successes. And you have to wonder then, what is the future for the Commonwealth Games?”

Coates, who last year stepped down as the Australian Olympic Committee president after 32 years, said he was always concerned about the regional games model floated by the Victorian government.

“I haven’t studied the financials for it, but I was always sceptical about the viability of a regional games,” Coates said.

“The way you’ve got to build venues or create temporary venues, when there are very big venues already existing in Melbourne. Then there is the ticketing revenue which is going to be less…how the government could have got it so wrong – I don’t know”.

I am beyond shattered with today's announcement by the Government. I have been a bit quiet today as I have been quite upset and disappointed with the news. I did have a tearful moment this morning reading the official announcement. I have been a proud advocate and supporter of the Victoria 2026 Commonwealth Games bid since it was first touted and suggested and have been a keen follower ever since. I dreamed about a Commonwealth Games in my home state having been too young to really remember the 2006 Games. It was my bucket list for a home Games and even in thirty or forty years down the track, there is no guarantee that the CGF would take on a Melbourne or Victoria bid ever again. I could not wait for the Comm Games to come home. I had dreams of being involved in the Games in multiple ways hopefully as a member of the workforce and always kept an eye out on jobs popping up as that would've been a dream gig. If that didn't work out, I hoped to be a Games volunteer or a baton bearer. I feel so heartbroken and let down by today's decision it has really taken the soul out of me. I feel ashamed to be Victorian today. The reality is a major multi sports event may never come to Victoria again! Our reputation has now been severely damaged. We already know we will never host an Olympic Games given the IOC New Norms. Now the chance of hosting a Commonwealth Games again is down the drain too. 

If there were issues with the funding, why didn't they try and move the Games or some events to Melbourne? That would've stacked up. Worst case athletes could've stayed in Hotels if finding a Games Village was an issue. If this happened to any other city, the sad thing is Melbourne's name would've been one of the first ones to be throw up as a potential host. Whether you agree or not that Victoria should've put their name up to host the Games, by signing the contract, the State is obligated to deliver the Games. I am surprised that the CGF had room in the contract for withdrawal. 

9 hours ago, stryker said:

Time to get London on the phone and pay whatever it takes? Or does the CWF just cancel 2026 entirely?

I think London is one of the only cities in the Commonwealth that could host so close to 2026 now. Hope there is interest and they consider stepping in to save the Games. They would have all the facilities there and could alter the program so only use existing facilities.

• Sad 4

Well it's a shock to see the news this morning but I can't say this is a surprise tbh. Obviously I haven't been following it as closely as people in Australia, at the coalface, but from stuff like the kerfuffle about building one railway station (!) through to how low key it's all felt, it's never really felt from afar as though anything has been progressing as it should, even going back to how they got the Games. The regional model always did feel a little odd given one of the world's great sporting cities is in the middle being ignored, even if the idea was good in theory. 

A few questions though:

How on earth has the budget got to 7 billion?! Iirc Birmingham spent about 1? I get transport costs and inflation but really?

Why not shift it to Melbourne, that'd surely slash the costs - existing venues and transport...

Why the abrupt cancellation, with seemingly no attempt to salvage something from it? Did Victoria even try to contact the CGF?

Where to now? Three years is very not long, even less than Brum had. 

Most ominously...Australian state makes its own bid for major event, without much federal involvement, on a regional concept, gets to actually having to do it, finds it's bitten off more than it can chew, gives up when trouble starts. I would think and hope that being the Olympics, Brisbane will have more support all round, as well as Coates as a voice for Brisbane at the top of the IOC. But I can't be the only one feeling concerned... it's a very very sad day all round. I just hope the Games can recover somehow, although tbh I doubt it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I am beyond shattered with today's announcement by the Government. I have been a bit quiet today as I have been quite upset and disappointed with the news. I did have a tearful moment this morning reading the official announcement. I have been a proud advocate and supporter of the Victoria 2026 Commonwealth Games bid since it was first touted and suggested and have been a keen follower ever since. I dreamed about a Commonwealth Games in my home state having been too young to really remember the 2006 Games. It was my bucket list for a home Games and even in thirty or forty years down the track, there is no guarantee that the CGF would take on a Melbourne or Victoria bid ever again. I could not wait for the Comm Games to come home. I had dreams of being involved in the Games in multiple ways hopefully as a member of the workforce and always kept an eye out on jobs popping up as that would've been a dream gig. If that didn't work out, I hoped to be a Games volunteer or a baton bearer. I feel so heartbroken and let down by today's decision it has really taken the soul out of me. I feel ashamed to be Victorian today. The reality is a major multi sports event may never come to Victoria again! Our reputation has now been severely damaged. We already know we will never host an Olympic Games given the IOC New Norms. Now the chance of hosting a Commonwealth Games again is down the drain too. 

If there were issues with the funding, why didn't they try and move the Games or some events to Melbourne? That would've stacked up. Worst case athletes could've stayed in Hotels if finding a Games Village was an issue. If this happened to any other city, the sad thing is Melbourne's name would've been one of the first ones to be throw up as a potential host. Whether you agree or not that Victoria should've put their name up to host the Games, by signing the contract, the State is obligated to deliver the Games. I am surprised that the CGF had room in the contract for withdrawal. 

I’m sad for you too. You certainly have been keeping us closely informed on the plans here.

My niece is a very GOOD track runner/sprinter. She was the fastest Australian girl in her age group in the 200m late last year (though is recovering from a calf injury at the moment). While we might have dreamed of it, she’s probably just too young to be heading to Paris. But she certainly was aiming at running for her country in front of a home crows at Victoria 2026. I’m pretty sure she’d be bitterly disappointed about the news too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

The reality is a major multi sports event may never come to Victoria again! Our reputation has now been severely damaged.

You can kiss goodbye any chance of Melbourne hosting any future FIFA World Cup/World Club Clup Finals/Semi Finals or Rugby World Cup Final in 2027. No major sports organisation will send their World Champs Melbourne's way either anytime soon. F1 will be feeling pretty shaky too now, MotoGP is already on its last legs and rumoured to move to SA

Just look at Denver in 1976, they still haven't recovered from that internationally same with Montreal

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

You can kiss goodbye any chance of Melbourne hosting any future FIFA World Cup/World Club Clup Finals/Semi Finals or Rugby World Cup Final in 2027. No major sports organisation will send their World Champs Melbourne's way either anytime soon. F1 will be feeling pretty shaky too now, MotoGP is already on its last legs and rumoured to move to SA

Just look at Denver in 1976, they still haven't recovered from that internationally same with Montreal

You truly lack critical thinking. 

Denver - and Colorado more broadly - called out the IOC for the bullshit way back when they were getting away with it. Colorado has gone on to be a mecca for international winter sports and has hosted numerous high calibre alpine events. 

Montreal - by comparison- didn't hit eject and was saddled with debt for DECADES ( i think only paying off the '76 Olympics in the early 2000s?) "The Montreal Olympics could no more run a debt than a man could have a baby" - Mayor Jean Drapeau in 1973 when faced with questions around the spiralling costs and whether Montreal, too, should give back the Games. 

I'd rather Andrews than Drapeau (even though I do think the whole '26 Comm Games shouldn't have even happened - rightly so Andrews Govt being criticised for not doing their homework). 

An Australian FIFA World Cup won't work without Victoria's participation. Simple. Our biggest hurdle is a large rectangular stadium, and by then we'll probably have one major one and two smaller ones. 

2 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Well that's a load of rubbish - Melbourne is one of the highest regarded hosts of sporting events in the world, regularly topping an annual poll, and this isn't going to change that.   Indeed Melbourne has been kept at arms length from the Victoria 2026 plans and that arguably is why we are where we are today - not just facility wise but suspect city budgets can handle these things easier than the regional equivalents.

• Like 1

I'm under the impression that Adelaide or Perth could start talking now that the initial shock has passed...and the embarrassing situation of what is one of the wealthiest countries in the world doesn't necessarily have a bottomless pit of money.

9 hours ago, Victorian said:

I think London is one of the only cities in the Commonwealth that could host so close to 2026 now. Hope there is interest and they consider stepping in to save the Games. They would have all the facilities there and could alter the program so only use existing facilities.

I feel for you @Victorian at this news.  You have been a passionate  supporter for the Games has shone through. I inow you were looking forward to being involved in the Games.  

Try not to be too disappointed as Melbourne will not lose any major events as that Mr Negative numbnut @Gonzo has been spewing his crazed bile and nonsense rubbish like a crazed Linda Blair from the Exorcist since yesterday’s announcement.  Ignore him and any that bring you down.

@Victorian you have proudly and passionately kept a great record of the Green and Gold Runway of big events, World Cups and World Championships in the build-up to the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.   Those 2032 Games are going full steam ahead and you can get still get involved in those and look very positively to the biggest event on the World Stage - a Home Olympics in Australia. I became a  volunteer at the Athens Olympics all the way from Perth, Australia, on my own where I live at the time.  Brisbane is so close distance-wise and you can get involved in those.   I agree with the sentiments and views on this matter of @RooBlu, @Australian Kiwi and @Sir Rols, @Brekkie Boy @TorchbearerSydney.

There is also no chance highly successful events like will be moved from Melbourne. Big sporting events are here to stay in Melbourne, like the Australian Open, The Melbourne Cup, Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival, AFL Grand Final, Australian Formula One Grand Prix, BBL Matches, Boxing Day Test and other International Crocket fixtures,  A-League Soccer, FIFA Womens World Cup Games, National Basketball League Games, Men’s and Women’s Rugby World Cup Games.  I’m sure I’ve missed a few from your list of coming World Cups and World Championships on the Green and Gold Runway.

Lot’s to look forward to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Victorian said:

9 hours ago,  Victorian said: 

Expand  

I feel for you @Victorian at this news.  You have been a passionate supporter for the Commonwealth Games and Olympic Games and it has shone through. I inow you were looking forward very much to being involved in the Games.  

Try not to be too disappointed as Melbourne will not lose any major events as that Mr Negative numbnut @Gonzo has been spewing his crazed bile and nonsense rubbish like a crazed Linda Blair from the Exorcist since yesterday’s announcement.  Ignore him and any that bring you down.

@Victorian you have proudly and passionately kept a great record of the Green and Gold Runway of big events, World Cups and World Championships in the build-up to the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.   Those 2032 Games are going full steam ahead and you can get still get involved in those and look very positively to the biggest event on the World Stage - a Home Olympics in Australia. I share your passion and became a  volunteer at the 2004 Athens Olympics, travelling all the way from Perth, Australia, on my own where I lived at the time - now also live in Melbourne.  Brisbane is so close distance-wise and you can get involved in those biggest coming Games of all.   I agree with the sentiments and views on this matter of @RooBlu, @Australian Kiwi and @Sir Rols, @Brekkie Boy @TorchbearerSydney.

There is also no chance highly successful sporting events will be moved like the Australian Open, The Melbourne Cup, Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival, AFL Grand Final, Australian Formula One Grand Prix, BBL Matches, Boxing Day Test and other International Cricket fixtures,  A-League Soccer, FIFA Womens World Cup Games, National Basketball League Games, Men’s and Women’s Rugby World Cup Games.  I’m sure I’ve missed a few from your amazing and comprehensive list of coming World Cups and World Championships on the Green and Gold Runway in Australia. Lot’s to look forward to.

As far as an alternative host for the 2026 Commonwealth Games such as London as you suggested, and if there is even time, appetite, funding and venues availability from London or another city anywhere to step in as very hurried 2026 Host, is a very interesting question.  We wait and see how this plays out.

17 hours ago, SportLightning said:

Maybe Auckland (New Zealand) could replace Victoria as host.

No. Melbourne has FAR more in place already than Auckland. Any New Zealand city would need to build a lot of facilities, and now there isn't enough time left to do that.

London is the only realistic option, IMO.

3 hours ago, Nacre said:

No. Melbourne has FAR more in place already than Auckland. Any New Zealand city would need to build a lot of facilities, and now there isn't enough time left to do that.

London is the only realistic option, IMO.

Christchurch is interested of hosting since they have venues already existing and don't need to build any new venues if they win.

10 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Denver - and Colorado more broadly - called out the IOC for the bullshit way back when they were getting away with it. Colorado has gone on to be a mecca for international winter sports and has hosted numerous high calibre alpine events. 

The USOC rejected Denver for the 2030 WOG bid, and just recently FIFA rejected Denver for their 2026 city hosting bid. Articles both mentioning still what happened 50 years ago as one of the reasons for rejection

Don't kid yourself, what happened yesterday was an international embarrassment that will take decades to forget

All the articles today get to the point that Andrews and his Government were incompetent fools

Repeatedly told time after time after time, that this regional model was broken and would not work (which people on here and other places have been saying since day dot), but they ignored all expert advice and ploughed on like they knew better

The arrogance is astonishing

As The Age puts it "In a normal government, someone would resign over such a colossal embarrassment" but people are trying to defend the indefensible and paint Andrews as a saviour

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alexjc said:

I'm under the impression that Adelaide or Perth could start talking now that the initial shock has passed...and the embarrassing situation of what is one of the wealthiest countries in the world doesn't necessarily have a bottomless pit of money.

They're both vehemently against it. Both WA and SA govts. 

Qld has its hands full with 2032. 

NSW has said no but there appears to be interest from Western Sydney region - which could use many of the 2000 Olympic venues. However, I still can't see it happening - even to retrofit 2000 venues for a scaled down Games would cost a bomb that NSW also doesn't have with its debt (albeit one smaller than Vic's). 

46 minutes ago, SportLightning said:

That "we have all the stuff here already!" is delusional talk that led Victoria down the 2026 rabbit hole last year. 

I think this will kill a decentralised NZ Games in 2034. 

This should be a warning to the Olympics that the best model is a centralised model.